I Hardcore You - BrewDog

I Hardcore YouI Hardcore You

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Beer added by: thepeter on 08-17-2010

What do you get if you blend Hardcore IPA and I Beat You together and then add even more dry hops?

I Hardcore You of course. This is the return, for a limited time only, of a beer which proved firm favourite with hop heads.

I Hardcore You is a 9.5% Imperial India Pale Ale. After blending these two awesome beers, the beer is then dry hopped another two times.

Ratings: 512 | Reviews: 246
3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Nice sticky lacing on top of a amber brown body. Nothing remarkable.

Aroma: I'm getting more malt than hops. Caramel and toasty notes are biggest, but they are tempered by some great citrusy and grassy hops.

Taste: Much more balanced than the nose. The taste is definitely malt forward, but the hops do a good of injecting themselves into the overall flavor. The meld of flavors comes out tasting like pineapple.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Rather light and a great amount of carbonation that keeps the flavors from being too oppressive on the palette. I can see drinking two of these, but the price may stand in the way of that.

Overall: Not a bad beer. Two Euro-brewers did a good job on an American style. However, the cost will prevent me from buying this in a bottle again. Too many better domestic options for much less dough.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a slightly hazy, amber orange color with pretty good head retention and minimal lacing. The nose is very impressive, showcasing considerable skunky simcoe (I assume) hops. There is leather, tobacco, dry citrus, pepper, and a dank weediness that is attractive. The flavor profile replicates the nose pretty closely in this dry IPA, though the alcohol is a bit more noticeable than I normally like to see. Still, I appreciate the amount of flavor this beer delivers, and there's nothing at all wrong with the long, dry, bitter finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a long, bitter finish. Drinkability isn't bad, though the noticeable alcohol in the finish detracts just a bit.

This beer is very similar to a lot of other IPA's I've had from Mikkeller, but for all that, it's a pretty decent, well crafted IPA.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Good DIPA. Pours a hazy orange amber with a medium size off-white head. Average retention and good lacing. Smell is great!!! Citrus hops all the way...powerful aroma...very good.

Taste is good as well. Balanced - but in a big way. Bitter citrus and floral hops backed by sweet caramel malt. They take turns assaulting the senses. This is a strong beer.

Mouthfeel is rich and crisp. No hint of the 9.5% abv. Good and bitter with periodic malt relief.

Drinkability is good. High alcohol content but goes down as easy as a Celebration Ale. A very good beer.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Mikkeller / Brewdog collaboration double IPA... beer is so cool these days. So, this one pours a dark orange color with a dense head and nice lacing down the glass. Hoppy aromas, citrus, creamcicle, honey. Nice malty base to this one, but not overly sweet - just enough to add a nice caramel touch of an underlayer to the massive hop profile of this beer. Good and bitter - lots of citrus but some other depth. Tobacco and leafy resin flavors. Wonder how many hop varieties are in this... I think this is more on the Mikkeller side of the spectrum, having tried all of their IPAs I can get my hands on. Nice UK malt base though, interesting. Full and sticky mouthfeel, combined with quenching hop citrus flavor. Very unique and damn tasty.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Everytime I drink this beer I give thanks I ordered 24 bottles of it, and am sad I didn't order more.

A - nice thick head, orangey amber translucent and cloudy. This beer says "I will be delicious"

S - fruity grassy hops backed up by a heavy malt body with some more hops standing at the back cracking their knuckles.

T - BAM. Malt. Then some hops. Then more malt, some hops and some more hops. That's just up front. Through the finish there's some citrus, hops and more hops carried through the finish by a lovely malty base. And some hops. All delicious. There's a lot going on with this beer without it becoming overwhelming. Pleasingly complex. Unlike, say, the dogfish 120 the hops aren't the only thing here.

M - Surprisingly unthick, considering everything going on flavour wise. Full bodied but not cloying, the carbonation cuts through things nicely.

D - It's 9.2%. It's delicious. I suspect after 3 or 4 330ml bottles I might start to struggle but I've had to stop myself at 2 to conserve stocks and have always wanted more.

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%

Aromas of fruity citrus, passionfruit, mango and grapefruit hops. Definitely one of the top 5 hop aroma beers I have ever consumed. It is so so so inviting from the aroma. I totally love beers with this full citrus hop aroma.

The taste is totally different than the nose. It makes you think initially that it will be bitter and hop centric but then the malt character makes a huge stand and controls the main flavors your tongue perceives. It is quite pale malt dominated and I really appreciate this because overly resiny beers make me gag. The initial bitterness fades into a glorious clean/dry finish. I Hardcore this beer (apologies for the cheesy reference). I could pound this to no end which is dangerous considering the ABV, lucky it is quite high in $$$ so this will limit my consumption.

This is a very tasty and simple straightforward DIPA.

Nice malt presence, resounding hop presence.

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%

A beer I will consider a Mikkeller product, in spite of where I located it on this website. From a 330 ml bottle into a found chalice marked 'Chimay'

The ale is a cloudy, orange-tinted brown color, a departure from the amber colored IPAs I typically find. Head is healthy but not big. It is also a light tan color and leaves just a bit of lacing after the quick dissipation.

Smell is big malt and a citrus twinge. I get some dark fruits and yeasty sweet breads as well.

Taste is big but too much alcohol comes through. I get a bitter tang too that is not needed even in an IIPA. I am taking back my statement as to this being a Mikkeller beer, else I will spoil the perfect record I have given them for awesome beer. This beer is good but not awesome.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of full and the carbonation is slight. Finish is slightly dry.

This is good IIPA and exhibits a specific lemon tang that I have not had in other beers. It is unique and I appreciate the quality of the beer.

Slainte.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

From 12/04/10 notes. Split a 12 oz. bottle with nmann08; thanks Nate. Poured into a pint glass.

a - Pours an amber color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sugar, fruits, citrus hops, and light pine.

t - Taste is bitter citrus hops, pine hops, and sweet fruit. Very bitter bite up front that lingers through the taste.

m - Medium body and low carbonation.

d - A decent DIPA but a bit too bitter for me. Would give another shot but probably wouldn't seek out again.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle to snifter.

A: Coppery orange color. Pretty hazy. Thin head.

S: Primary smell is citrus hops. Grapefruit. Then some lighter fruit like Apple or pear. Pale malts - Sweet bready smell.

T: Surprisingly, Hops are not the first thing I noticed. Malty sweetness is the primary flavor. Bready, biscuity. Hops are of grapefruit and come across as very juicy. Hops are definitely there but much more subdued and not as hop forward as I expected (for a DIPA). This is actually a pretty balance IPA -- take that however you want.

M: Medium body. Little bit of carbonation. Not too dry. Pretty smooth.

D: For my preferences, this is very drinkable. The smell is very fruity which I like and the hop bitterness is there but relatively mellow. I don't feel like this is going to burn a hole through the roof of my mouth. This might leave some wanting more but for me this is real good.

Toasted orange peel with bright Sunkist edges and a lovely looking lid that is equal parts pastel gold and ecru. The foam is whipped cream creamy, lasts an impressively looong time, and eventually graces the glass with tattered sheets of lace.

The nose features caramel malt and American citric hops that are especially orange juicy. Gotta be Amarillo at least... along with Simcoe and several of the 'C' hops. More pungent would have been great, but then there's no accounting for how long it took this bottle to make it across the Atlantic.

This collaborative American-style Double IPA is a mixture of Mikkeller I Beat You (never had it) and Brewdog Hardcore IPA (had it, didn't love it). It's pretty good big beer that isn't stingy with the little green cones, which is what this style is, or should be, all about.

A more pale malt bill would have allowed the hop flavor to shine more brightly. Toasted bread, caramel, tea leaves, citrus zest and a wee splash of Absolut comprise a flavor profile that is improving just enough with warming to achieve the higher of the two considered scores.

Even though it isn't quite special enough for the 4.5, mouthfeel might be this ale's finest feature. It's at least medium-full for the style/ABV and the laid back bubbles keep the drinkin' easy.

Either my reviewed bottle of Hardcore IPA was past its prime or Mikkeller I Beat You is such outstanding beer that it pulled the BrewDog offering all the way up to good beer status. This stuff is undoubtedly overpriced for regular consumption, but it's definitely worthy of a single bottle purchase for hardcore hop lovers.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

head was regal at pouring bur faded before i could even enjoy it (well...i was walking around doing stuff. but i still would have liked more staying power). hazy copper color

enORmous ruby red aroma. that's pretty much it. definitely some columbus, and simcoe, i would say. website says centennial, too...why not? slightly too much of the "cat piss" element

more of the same hops for me to taste; and sweetness to hold the vegetation aloft. really, though, just enough to give life and breadth to the bitterness and alpha acids

sometimes i have a tough time rewarding breweries for slightly sweet hop tea but this manages to be more than that (even if that's essentially what it is, and the guiding principle seems to have been "more")

3.87/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Pours an hazey amber orange. A two fingered tan tinted white head. Decent retention but could be better.

S- Very piney and floral. hints of mint, citrus zest and white grape. Unfurls into some evergreen sap with a very dry bisquit aroma in the middle. Finishs with fresh squeezed lemon and a slight alcohol scent.

T- Floral piney hops assult the palate like a juicy, juicy grapefruit. Fresh crushed mint and slight oregano flesh out as it warms. Huge (for a DIPA) malt backbone. Tastes like toffee with caramel notes. Juicy and sticky.

MF- Juicy, slick and sticky. Tears your palate to bits and doesn't apologize. Love it. A chewy medium body with a low subtle carbonation.

D- Tasty and goes down smooth. However, I wouldn't want to do more than one. I like to taste stuff for the rest of the week.

l'chaim

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt!

A: The beer is a hazy sunburst orange hue. There is a huge off-white head that leaves some good lacing behind.

S: Scents of pine, pine cones soaked in alcohol.

T: Another balanced, aka malty, DIPA. No thanks! Strong and malty does not equal American DIPA. Little to no citrus flavors. Mikkeller and BrewDog each brew some pretty mediocre IPAs, so this collaboration is mediocre, not surprisingly.

M: Alcohol present throughout, with caramel malt lingering in the aftertaste (this is where the hop bitterness should live).

D: Best in small quantities, or not at all. At least it's too expensive.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Scooped a bottle of this stuff from Brawley's a few days ago. I was intrigued by the label, and I'm always a big fan of Mikkeller, so despite the $6.99 tag on the 12-ouncer, I went for it.

Poured it into a nice, large wine glass. I gave it a fairly aggressive pour in an attempt to really release the hops aromas and open the beer up. Maybe this is just superstition...whatever.

Ended up forming a huge, frothing two-finger head that took its time receding down the sides of the glass. The color seemed to be slightly darker than most of the Double IPAs I've had in the past. It had hues of dark gold and actually was slightly reddish as well. Very pretty.

The head receded fully, leaving a good amount of sticky lacing on the glass (much to my delight). I took a big whiff, just digging my nose in there and really trying to fill up the nostrils. I was almost knocked on my ass with the amount of hopes that filled my nose. I feel like, smell-wise, this may be the hoppiest beer I've ever had.

Finally, I take a small swig. Indeed, the smell rings true, and my mouth is now bursting with bitter, fresh, hoppy delight. I literally love the way this beer tastes, and I don't think it could get much better. I'm certainly not as technical as many reviewers on here, but I know what I like: HOPS. This beer provides it.

Mouthfeel's good. Perfect balance of carbonation and sticky texture that leaves an excellent aftertaste in my mouth, an element that I feel is underrated.

I could only drink one of these per sitting. Then again, I could only afford one of these per...year. So, this doesn't seem to be too much of a tragedy.

I really enjoyed this beer. I will say this: If you like hops, drink it FRESH. I thought about cellaring this baby for a couple months, but after posting in the forum, I was convinced that I should crack it immediately. I definitely don't regret that decision.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

11.2oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark reddish-orange body. Decent head with a bit of lacing.

S: Pine, citrus, and caramel.

T: This is a very bitter beer. It isn't harsh or overwhelming, though. Some notes of bitter orange and grapefruit. Sweet toffeeish malt balances it out. Alcohol is slightly detectable.

M: Rather heavy and resiny.

D: This was one and done for me, but in a good way. If you're in the mood for an over-the-top hop bomb, you could certainly do worse.

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

A collaboration between two of the most overpriced breweries on the planet? What could go wrong?

Beer is copper and clear with a decent head and some lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is malty and piny.

Beer is medium bodied and lead off sweet with some back palate hoppiness. The midpalate flavors are almost entirely piny and the finish is a little dry. Reminds me of one of those supposedly balanced IPAs like 90 minute...brew European beer, you are mediocre at brewing US beer. Both of you, your IPAs suck.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Served in a snifter on tap at The Firkin

This beer is poured a nice hazy burnt sienna with some decent lacing of the white foam head. The aroma is a mixture of the various hop varieties, tangerine and brown sugar for sweetness. The taste is interesting as well. It comprises of bitter hops and light caramel which work together pretty well. It wasn't overtly bitter, but the hops were strong enough to be noticeable in the mouthfeel. This was rather average to drink, it was a very good beer that I tended to care less about.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin.

Dropped in at the Firk following a trip to the homebrew store and spotted this little guy on the chalkboard. Very little time deciding to order. It pours a cloudy amber-tawn' topped by a finger of tannish-cream foam. The nose comprises white grapes, mandarin oranges, grapefruit, caramel, and pineapple. The taste holds notes of minty pine, grapefruit, light caramel, and orange peel. The body is a heavy-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, one of the better brews I've had from the BrewDog guys (that wasn't a barrel-aged stout)...perhaps a freshness issue? Either way, this is a darn solid DIPA, and I'm glad I was able to try it.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Picked this up at an awesome beer store outside Ghent, Dranken Geers. Hazy, amber-orange pour with nice two finger head and decent lacing. Huge earthy, floral, resiny, fresh hop nose with a sweet caramel malt backbone and hints of tangerine. Wow, what an intense and bold taste! Extremely fresh resiny hop bitterness, perfectly balanced with a great sweet caramel malt backbone. Tangerines, pine, grapefruit, and bready malt really balance this out nicely. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, juicey and resiny perfection. The alcohol is totally a non-player, nicely hidden, making this a real scary drinkable Imperial IPA. This was so much better than the Devine Rebel collaboration between Mikkeller and Brew Dog. A great beer from two great breweries.

2.84/5  rDev -30%

11.2 oz botte.

It pours a orange/reddish copper with a foamy white head that holds and recedes slowly with some nice lacing.

The smell is a bit of a letdown, Brewdog seems to never be prudent with their shipment of beers overseas and it is apparent here. That plus the fact that is is dominated by the turpentine scent of Hardcore IPA

The flavor is a bit better It is mostly caramel with a hint of pine. It has an okay amount of bitterness, though the alcohol seems to be more apparent in the profile than the bitterness.

It really is just a gimmicky label beer

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

I'm getting a sense that most of the Mikkeller inspired IPA's look the same. A hazy/dull brown color with egg shell white colored head. Lots of structure and a huge amount of lacing left behind.

Aroma seems to have tell tale signs of an English inspired brew. Toasted malts with a candy sweetness, pine focused hops and a touch of grassy or herbal notes.

A pop of hop bitterness up front, followed by some English malt flavor, some slight fruit and pine notes. There is a note of alcohol here, but it's not way too hot, but you can tell the abv is elevated. A bit sweet despite the bruising bitterness that tries to bring balance.

Medium/Full bodied, a touch oily, just shy of sticky.

Pretty nice beer. Wish the ABV was a touch lower, but since Brew Dog is involved I should probably consider myself lucky it's not higher.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Picked up an 11.2oz bottle for $6.99 from Olive Tree Market here in OB and poured it into a tulip glass.

A: Pours an amber/apricot hue with a good head and solid lace.

S: Strong carmel malt, prevalent grassy hops, earthy moss notes, with a sweet grainy finish.

T: On point with the nose, but the hop dominates the flavor (which is a good thing) - I also get some fermented fruit, chocolate and a good dose of malt that balances the overall flavor nicely.

M: Medium-bodied, but verging on full-bodied, mellow carbonation making it very creamy, sticky and hearty.

D: Very drinkable for a 9.5% but you'd be hard pressed to drink more than one or two of these in a sitting - it's a meal in a glass.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Comes out of the bottle in a hazy copper, burnt orange with an off white tight head. It is a bit dark, bubbly and intense looking brew.

Aromas of fruity citrus, pine and caramel flood the nose. The hop notes provide floral smells and the malt provides the backbone.

Piney and fruity bitter hops hit the tongue first and then play to a sweet malty center with hops resonating again on the back, with a lasting finish that is a battle of sweet malt and bitter hops. Notes of apricot, orange, pine, grapefruit rind.

This is a very tasty and simple straightforward DIPA.

Nice malt presence, resounding hop presence.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

11.2oz bottle into Bruges snifter.
A: Pours with frothy two finger head, that is a stark white. The body is a deep hazy orange. The line between the head and the body is a crisp line of definition. The head sinks into a foam island on top of the glass. Lacing is left in a layered form.
S: The high intensity of citrus aroma, are welcomed by the smooth off aroma of an earthy aroma.
T/M: A hop bomb of a beer. While the flavors are such a powerful blast of resins and dry hoppy flavors, there is still a nice malt balance. The sweetness is balanced by the dry finish. The body is a smooth and thick cream. Major grapefruit tastes on the off.
D: The overall taste is great and other characters such as aromas and feel. The ABV in this beer is shown and does decrease the overall drinkability.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Thanks to wishuwerebeer for sharing.

Poured into a snifter this brew appears a lightly hazed color of orange. A creamy white head appears along with a bit of legwork of lace left sticking to the glass.

The smell of this brew is mostly herbal with an almost orange-like character that is a bit like rind. There is a mineral aspect to this brew that comes off smelling a bit chlorinated.

The taste is herbal and grassy with the mineral touch that was indicated in the aroma that tastes chlorinated. There is a fairly evident fusel alcohol character that throws a mix into the hop flavoring. A faint backing of sweet caramel malt is noted.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light level of carbonation. It is drinkable to the extent of no problems finishing the glass but it leaves a lingering herbal resinous bitterness inside the mouth that is tolerable but not excessively enjoyable.

I Hardcore You from BrewDog