I Hardcore You - BrewDog

I Hardcore YouI Hardcore You

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

What do you get if you blend Hardcore IPA and I Beat You together and then add even more dry hops?

I Hardcore You of course. This is the return, for a limited time only, of a beer which proved firm favourite with hop heads.

I Hardcore You is a 9.5% Imperial India Pale Ale. After blending these two awesome beers, the beer is then dry hopped another two times.

(Beer added by: thepeter on 08-17-2010)
3.6/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours with a small head of white foam on a hazy, dark amber body. The foam settles rapidly and leaves light lace.

S - Spicy hops with a touch of toffee and caramel in the background.

T - Caramel and spicy pine hops up front. Spicy clove and cinnamon in the middle. Finishes out with a bit of muddy caramel and pine hops as well as a fairly strong level of bitterness for balance.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet, but balanced, finish.

D - Not my favorite DIPA. Both the malt and the hop character are strong, but muddy. Neither is able shine above the other and the sweetness in the finish becomes flabby fairly early on. I have had better DIPAs from both Mikkeller and Brew Dog.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

3.43/5  rDev -15.3%

Imbibed on tap at The Refuge on 5/25/2012.

Poured a clear copper with thin head. Seems appropriate for a near 10% beer. Great hops up front on the nose, kinda mild - piney, somewhat resiny. Mostly malty aroma. Caramel, crystal malt up the wazoo, and nutty. Somewhat floral hops come out with a swirl. The malt starts things off with a nutty smoothness. Hop flavor comes in, somewhat barky. Turns bitter and resiny. A little thick in feel, and finishes dry.

I feel like my review was compromised by the glass, which was filled too much (not much aroma because of this) and wasn't washed properly. Didn't really introduce any off flavors or aromas, but I wish it was served in a Duvel or pint glass so it had some headspace to breathe. Would try again though. Seemed like more than what I was exposed to.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Amber/Copper colored with a thin white head that dissipates quickly with bits of lace.

S: Piney, somewhat herbal, fresh lemon rind, grapefruit etc.

T: Immediately hit with hops: deep citrus, marmalade, grapefruit. Finishes well with mostly malt, just enough sweetness and some hop bitterness that is sought after in IIPA's.

M: Medium Bodied. Pleasantly oily mouthfeel. Fairly low carbonation,

O: Very nice IIPA, one of the best I've had. A bit expensive at $7 a bottle in my area, but definitely a one time must try to see what two stellar breweries can cook up together.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Pours a clear, dark amber with a tight, creamy white head.

S: Aromas of grapefruit, lemon, blood orange, fresh herbs, cedar, and pine sap are present on the nose.

T: Notes of pine, spruce, cedar, lemon, grapefruit, blood orange, cream, caramel, and fresh herbs wash across the palate. The finish is long, resinous, and bitter with notes of blood orange, lemon, pine, and cedar underscored by prickly, peppery alcohol.

M: Medium-bodied, oily, and resinous, but very smooth. Carbonation is surprisingly gentle. Alcohol presence is pronounced, but not overpowering or distracting. Very drinkable for the style.

O: This is an excellent DIPA, one that hits all of the high points of the style. I Hardcore You compares favorably to just about any American DIPA, but retains a unique, decidedly European character. All in all, it has its own personality and is worth a try for any self-respecting hophead.

4.13/5  rDev +2%

Copper-colored beer with a half inch of foam that fades away leaving fits of lace. Smell is pine cones, fresh hay, caramel malt. Taste starts out lightly sweet with caramel candy and orange notes, then a distinct washing of herbal, citric and resin hop over the tongue cuts any sweetness and imparts a very nice melding of malt and hop where each element is balanced off the next. Finish is mildly orange pith bitter. Body is medium heavy, creamy. Tasty beer, would drink it again.

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

This could be the most vegital/floral/grassy beer i have ever smelled. Its like fresh mown grass in a field of bouquets of flowers. It truly feels like I took a hop pellet and shoved it into my nose. I love it!

Perfectly clear amber with a thick light tan head that doesn't leave lace on the glass, it leaves a curtain of leftover foam on the glass walls.

WOW! What a change between the aroma and taste! It's very sweet upfront, so much that I can't even detect any bitterness. Big caramel notes throughout carry this same vegetal grassy hop taste. It's like eating candied hop cones!

Bold body on this beer with moderately light carbonation and a sweet finish. A sipping beer for sure, defiantly something special here. I love this.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours clear dark copper with a large tan head. The head dissipates slowly, leaving some lacing on the side of the glass. There are plenty of sweet bready malts and citrusy and piney hops in the aroma. I don't really pick up the alcohol. It's an inviting smell for this DIPA. There are lots of sweet bready malts in the taste balanced by plentiful hop flavor on the band end. The citrus and pine notes really come through here and the aftertaste is bitter. For something with an ABV over 9%, the alcohol is very well hidden here and can't be tasted at all. It's very well balanced. This is a medium bodied beer that feels creamy. The carbonation is adequate and the finish is slightly dry. Overall, this is an excellent beer that is worth trying if you like a good DIPA.

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

Purchased in a bottle in Melbourne, Australia.

We're not really loving it. Feels like we're not drinking beer anymore but have gone onto the spirits. A visual resemblance to cognac -- clear, welcomingly golden and bubble-less. No head. Looks like a gem, and despite a mouthful of hops it's still, somehow, not a beer.

Smells beautifully of hops, but with burnt orange, rum and brandy it nearly overpowers the hops. We're not sure this combination really works.

First taste is strong hops. Then it's oddly sweet with hints of marmalade -- but this dominates the bitterness, giving it an almost tart feel.

An aftertaste of marmalade. Murder to the wallet.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a New Belgium globe glass from an 11.2-ounce bottle.

A: Slightly hazy deep amber/orange hue with a thick eggshell-colored head that slowly settles to a thick froth on the surface. Lacing is sticky as can be.

S: Very malty up front, with hints of caramel and fresh baked bread. Hops are prominent in the background with citrusy, floral tones, and a touch of astringent character.

T: Hops dominate up front, with grassy, citrusy notes and a hint of pine. Caramel and toasty malt character covers the mid-palate, adding just a touch of sweetness. Finish is drying, with a slight fruity character.

Notes: When the term "balanced" is used to describe a double IPA, this beer expresses that character. malt and hops meld nicely to give way to a very tasty beer. Alcohol is hardly noticeable! One downside is that this beer is a bit on the thick side, but it's easy to get past. A wonderful collaboration! A bit pricey, but worth trying for sure!

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%

No freshness dating

A= Pours a nice deep amber color with a strangely dark tan head on it that is about a finger high and holds some steady retention with some pretty decent lacing. This head is an unusual color that's for sure.

S= I'm usually very sketchy about buying imported IPAs but this one is still nice and hoppy after it's long trip. It's a unique type of smell however. Something different that I can't quite pin down. It's almost like a bright grassy hop if that makes sense. Like a mix of EKG and cascades. There is a bit of alcohol in the nose but it's not overpowering and the malt backbone makes itself known with some malty odors.

T= Just like the smell it's like a bright grassy hop flavor. Really weird because I usually pick it up on one side of the spectrum or the other and nothing between. There is a nice punch to the hops that leaves without much lingering bitterness. The alcohol doesn't come through in the flavor but the malty sweetness does come from behind on the hop flavor.

M= A nice creamy IPA mouth on it.

O= It's odd that I find an IPA that I can describe as unique. I usually just get a hop punch to the face and sometimes I like it more than others. This I will say offers a unique drink. The combination of hops is weird. I dunno what it is and maybe it's just my mind wandering and really loving this after my final exams crushed my brain but this is weird. The head color was weird and the hop profile is new to me. I like it. I can say I'm honestly really happy I bought this after passing it over twice and pulling the trigger on the last bottle I saw. Worth trying and I would actually but it again.

2.4/5  rDev -40.7%

Appearance: A very tiny amount of white head (can be typical of a beer this high in alcohol) and a rich amber orange color with little to no haze.

Smell: Nothing too powerful on the nose. Subtle hints of floral and piney hops with some lingering caramel.

Taste: Two things stand out immediately in the taste: alcohol and acidic bitterness. Coupled with that are some hints of pineyness and subtle burnt caramel. Quite disappointed in the flavor. While Mikkeller in my experience is usually not amazing, it has never been below average... until now.

Mouthfeel: Sharp carbonation (in my opinion too much) and light to medium bodied.

Can't say that I'd recommend this beer to anyone. I'm a huge fan of IPAs and Imperial IPAs and this one fell short of being even acceptable. Brewdog facilities and/or staff must have done something to this beer because I just looked back at my rating of Mikkeller's I Beat You and it got close to a 4.

2.55/5  rDev -37%

Poured from a bottle into a CCB snifter. Undated, as usual

A- pours a dark shade of orange with a half finger offwhite head that quickly fades. Typical Mikkeller IPA, looks awful

S- nice citrus aroma, hints of cat piss as well....but it has the typical "Mikkeller aroma"

T- very mild citrus hops coming through...very, very mild. Tastes quite old and faded.

M- thick and syrupy. Disgusting

O- yeah, no thanks. I have one more Mikkeller IPA, then I'll be done with them all...

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. No bottle dating noted.

A - Pours a dark copper color with a full, frothy off-white head. Nearly over poured the glass. Delicate lacing sticks to the glass.

S - Caramel malts seem to be the most prevalent with toffee notes. Sweet and fruity. Oily, piney hops seem to be trying to come through, but the notes are light. Alcohol is present at warmer temps.

T - The taste is more fruity than the smell suggested. Grassy/earthy notes from the hops make way to only a slight bitterness. Surprisingly weak for the style. This kind or reminds me of a barleywine. Quite boozy.

M - Full bodied and very creamy, low carbonation, very reminiscent of a cask ale.

O - Overall, not a bad DIPA, but nothing spectacularly over the top either. At $6.99/bottle, there are many others I'd rather drink at less than half the price.

I Hardcore You from BrewDog