BrewDog / Three Floyds Bitch Please - BrewDog

to view more.
Ratings: 235 | Reviews: 95
Reviews by ThreeWiseMen:
2.54/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured into a Delirium Tremens tulip.

Appearance: A sticky white crown retains well atop a murky auburn body. Modest lacing lines the glass walls, while the tulip's etched bottom creates a silky, eye-of-the-hurricane aesthetic atop the brew. Shades of copper and brass shine illuminate the edges. A classy looking beer, no doubt about that.

Smell: Raspberry, leafy hops, and caramel duke it out with whiskey and coarse char. The aroma immediately reminds me of a spent hookah bowl. I get that this was meant to be smokey and peaty, but this a bit much.

Taste: Holy smokes! That whole spent hookah analogy is even more applicable in the taste realm. Jesus! Whiskey, peat, cranberries, grapefruit, and prunes also find their way to the palate, but so does a pile of soot. While intriguing and certainly flavorful, I'm not a fan of this one.

Mouthfeel: Heavy, warm, and malty, but still with a good deal of balance. Subtle carbonation allows the beer to float across the palate, and the finish provides a pleasant amount of dryness. No complaints here.

Overall: If it weren't for the overwhelming smoke flavor, this might be pretty good. The whiskey addition feels pretty strong as well, and could probably use some dulling also. Lots of complexity, just a lack of cohesiveness between the flavors.

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I loved this beer! Was looking for something different, new and exciting. A bit pricey, but I'll do it for every BREWDOG collaboration.

Tulip pour.

A. Looks beautiful at first glance, and even better after a settle. BRONZE in appearance, light carbonation, looks just right. Minimal head, right up my alley.

S. Very strong, you can definitely tell this was barrel aged. Scotch man all day, so this fit my fancy.

T. Instant explosion, almost unbearable, but every sip afterwards becomes more inviting. Starts off strong with a tempered middle and a glorious aftertaste.

Probably won't buy again, but I have one I'll lay down for a few months and bust it out with some friends after it's all sold out.

Purchased 2.24.12 upon request of beer god Evan Hendrix at my local Whole Foods in Bend, Oregon.

2.86/5  rDev -13.1%

Pours a burgundy brown with an off white head that holds its own at the edges. Smells of peat and Scotch, that’s for sure. There’s some rich caramel in the background. Scotch, Scotch, Scotch. Peated smokiness. Some stinging hoppyness on the nose too, blended with the alcohol, it’s really quite menacing. Wow. This is challenging. It’s not entirely unpleasant, but it’s pretty rampantly "out there." On the palate, the Scotch is very prominent, fades a bit to let some caramel malt sweetness rise, then rises up again in a smoky, scotch-y finish. Notes of charcoal. The alcohol is barely felt or tasted, which is surprising at 11.5% ABV. Smoky, band-aid-y phenols. Overall, it tastes like an adulterated scotch. That being said, and in all seriousness, I’m not a big Scotch fan, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that I’m not digging this. However, I read the label, and in my American mind, the bit about being aged in Whisky barrels sounded good. Stupidly, I was expecting Bourbon Whiskey and I got Scotch Whisky… should have known,totally my error… I can’t ding this one too badly for that mistake on my part. I do have to give credit for being pretty well balanced despite the massive alcohol and the “unsuppressable” notes of Scotch Whisky with beer. That being said, I have not yet had a hoppy beer that tastes good with Scotch barrel aging. Efforts should probably stop. This is a pretty challenging beer. However, pairing with a strong blue cheese stuffed inside green olives made for a really nice experience. I don’t think I’d drink this again without that kind of pairing. On its own, it was just a bit too outlandish for me. The $12.99 for a 12-oz bottle just sets one up for disappointment as well.

1.6/5  rDev -51.4%

Bottle (2011)

Stone Brew. Co.
Escondido, CA

Deep auburn in color with a quickly disappearing light khaki colored head. This doesn't leave much more than a few clinging bubbles to the glass.

The aroma is terrible, though in all fairness, the taste was worse. The aroma is a combination of burnt wood, rubber, campfire, a drag strip, and burnt sugars.

The flavor is awful. A few of the descriptors I heard friends offer in defense of this beer:
"Burnt tire"
"Burnt rubber"
"Campfire deliciousness"
"Huge tobacco note...yeeeeaaah"
"Disgusting"
"Perhaps the worst beer I've ever had"

Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

Disgusting, vile stuff.

3.92/5  rDev +19.1%

According to the bottle, this beer was brewed in August of 2010 and is best before 2016.

Not a particularly appealing beer looks-wise, this beer has lots of sediment visible in the cloudy, muddy brown liquid. The head was about a quarter finger thick, fizzy and rapidly dissipated into a thin lace at the center of the beer. There's steady carbonation apparent and not much else of note.

I get a lot of raisin on the nose, as well as the peaty aroma of whiskey, some boozy astringency and dark fruit. The raisin and peat are most prominent. There's also a bit of a smoky charcoal aroma.

Woosa, this beer is very whiskey-like! A huge, smokey, peaty flavor hits the mouth immediately and lingers strongly on my tongue. With the highly carbonated mouthfeel, this adds a tingling tongue sensation that almost reminds me of what a Seven and Seven would feel and taste like. There are some sweet caramelly notes and earthy hops in there too, it just takes a minute to discover them with the intensity of the previously mentioned flavor notes. As I continue to drink, the raisin notes from the nose emerge a bit as well.

I don't detect any alcohol astringency, despite the whiskey presence, so the beer drinks relatively smoothly. The aftertaste is intense and not faint for the heart, if smokiness and charcoal don't sound appealing to you, I don't advise drinking this, however, I am enjoying it.

I'd say there are deficiencies with this beer and it's not perfect, but it is quite an adventure and a beer I'm not likely to forget. However, I think I paid a pretty penny for this beer and can't justify that again.

2.94/5  rDev -10.6%

330ml bottle shared with mulder1010, purchased from Slowbeer and poured into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip style glass.

Pours a reddish brown with a mother of pearl coloured head of foam that has good head retention. Impressive looking barleywine.

Smells peaty and smoky with some band aid aroma. Very islay malt whisky though surprisingly this is aged for 8 months in Jura whisky barrels. No sign of the underlying beer.

With the taste there is some sweetness, not a lot, this is dominated by the whisky ageing. Very peaty and smoky and one dimensional in this regard.

Mouthfeel is dominated from the flavours, the underlying beer would be good by itself, but it is the smokiness that reigns supreme in this regard.

I don't mind barrel ageing overall, but i believe it is important to be able to taste the base beer to determine the (positive or in this case, potentially negative) impact of the barrel ageing.

3.38/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to Sweemzander for sharing this one.

(A) - Dark burnt orange, brownish, copper, clean with slight bubbled head. Leaves lacing

(S) - Smells of booze. Oak and whiskey. Some fig, leather, some heat

(T) - Smoked peat, generally smokey, decent amount of hops. Almost a smoked jerky taste to it.

(M) - Somewhat grainy, ends slightly dry. Medium to full body.

(O) - A lot more peat than I expected. More of a smokiness that is definitely a different spin on a BW.

3.95/5  rDev +20.1%

Massive thanks goes out to the individual (hit me up if this was you so I can give proper credit!) who shared this one with the group at the "Evening Wood" tasting graciously hosted by cmrillo! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and smoke. The flavor was of sweet malt, smoke, citrus, and smoky hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. Holy smokey Barleywine Batman!!! This was not at all what I was expecting, but I rather enjoyed it. The smokey flavor worked really well in this brew, but it did rob a lot from the typical Barleywine flavor and aroma profile. The aroma was smokey as crap which pretty much dominated the nose. At least the flavor allowed a little citrus to come through before smoking out your palate. I liked it... If you like smoke get this one your palate. If not, avoid at all costs.

1.84/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked up at my local Binny’s for wayyyy too much money ($12 for a 12oz…sheesh).

Appearance – Pours a murky brown into a tulip with about a finger of off white head that dissipates quickly leaving little lacing.

Smell – Booze, booze, booze. Slight dark fruits and sweetness.

Taste – Holy crap. What is this. Seriously this is disgusting. This is heavy peat and smoke. Rubber, etc. I took one sip and almost gagged.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Drain pour. This is one of the worst beers I’ve had in a while. Ugg.

3.23/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: Poured 1 finger of bright white head. Dark reddish brown colour, great looking beer.

Smell: Whisky, sweet toffee alcohol smell with a slight smokiness.

Taste: I struggled with this one. I have only come across stouts with this level of smokiness in the past. The peaty smokiness I found difficult. I definitely appreciated this overpowering ash/cigar flavour more towards the end, but still found it offputting. Slight hoppyness. Mild alcohol burn but not too noticeable given the other strong flavours. Maybe I’m not a fan of peated malts.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel, slightly sticky with good carbonation.

Overall: I’m not a fan of the smokiness of this beer. The peated malts and whisky barrel aging just took over and completely dominated this beer. I think this would be a beer that some would love and others hate. I wouldn’t want it again, but I could see that what’s a negative for me could be a massive positive for others.

1.63/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a deep clear amber color ale with a nice large foamy head with good retention and good lacing. Aroma of wood and sickening sweetness doesn’t make for an interesting aroma. Taste is like crunching into an old scotch barrel that has bathed in sugar, i.e. not an interesting proposition. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I finally drain poured half the bottle after I couldn’t take any more of the bad scotch ester and the sickening sweetness.

4.21/5  rDev +28%

We don't get FFF down in these parts. So, when I saw this on the shelf (even at the absurd $12 price), I was like do I have to buy this? My mind replied: Bitch, please. Hence, I have a bottle. Served in a Great Divide balloon glass.

I expected this 12% ABV big boy to pour without much of a head. Boy, was I wrong there. Awesome tan head. Good density and height. There was good lacing for most of the glass and there was a nice layer that stood at the top of my glass. The body was a deep, beautiful blood garnet. I'm not sure I could picture a better look for a barleywine.

The nose is a bit more muted than I would have guessed. The barleywine stickiness is buried way back in there. The predominant aroma is the smoke. Some smoked beers come across as bacon. Some come across as chloraseptic spray. This comes across like a cigar. This might be the smokiest beer I've had.

The body is light on the sticky barleywine, but huuuge on the smoke. There's still a big, thick base for the mouthfeel... but holy hell that's smoky. Maybe I should be pairing this with a cigar. Still, the beer does an outstanding job of separating the taste notes. I'm not 100% sold on the flavor of this thing, but I've also never had anything like it. It's interesting and at $12 for a bottle, I'd recommend that anyone go out there to buy a bottle to split with a small group. You'll appreciate the experience, but you might not need a whole glass.

EDIT: As I keep drinking, I get more accustomed to the smoke taste. It's getting sweeter and more well rounded. The whisky flavors start to come through, too. It seems like I'm slowly becoming sophisticated enough to appreciate the beer as I work through it. I'm bumping most of the scores up for this dynamic flavor interaction. A beer that everyone should try, just for the experience.

3.02/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a murky brown mahogany color with two fingers of foamy tan colored head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving a good amount of sticky lacing and a thin collar with a few large bubbles along the surface. A good amount of small carbonation at the edge of the glass.

Nose is dominated by an old barrel aroma, woody, earthy and very smokey and peaty smelling. Slightly hot smelling from the whiskey as well. If I try hard, I get a bit of barleywine in the aroma as well, a little bit of toffee.

Taking a sip there is some initial toffee, caramel sweetness, but that peaty whiskey really dominates the tongue, smokey, slightly spicy, light molasses sweetness, and wooden tannins. Finish is pretty dry with more lingering peaty smokiness.

Medium body, light carbonation and pretty slick and oily on the tongue. With all the whiskey flavors, alcohol is relatively tame, not too hot in the flavor. I would have liked a little more sweetness and less of the barrel in this beer. I don't mind the smoke, but need more barleywine from this. This would probably be nice to sip with some smokey bbq though.

2.24/5  rDev -31.9%

$12... Waaay too expensive... too expensive from the brewery and too much markup from the bottleshop.

Poured into my HotD goblet while boxing bottles for trade.... tan head with decent lacing and retention.... the brew is hazed light walnut.

Nose is full of headache acetone and burning rubber... smells like somebody put a palate of Converse on a campfire. Uncapped "Sharpie" markers .. Jesus... Really?

Flavor is making me squint... burning latex.... burning tires... Phenols that should NEVER be in any commercial beer... terrible superglue notes...

Christ.... seriously... I can handle Peaty Scotch, but this is a Train Wreck like nothing else. If you like sniffing Glue, then go at it.

3.5/2/2/2.5/2.5

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%

Medium brown color and creamy off-white head.
Good retention and powerful lacing.

At first a bit harshly - but as the edge wore off I recognized that it was coming from the smokey and slightly robust ingredients.
Itis a bit too overpowered by the peat, but the whiskey is increasingly noticeable with sweet malt.

The taste is quite complex with sweetness from the malt, a hint of caramel, some bitterness and intense whiskey.

Strong carbonation with a contrasting drying sensation.

Went very well with a Monte Cristo corona-sized cigar.

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a darkish golden brown. Nice aromas of toffee and a little chocolate. A bit of an overpowering peaty whisky taste, but I know that's what they were going for. Problem is it is a bit too smoky and not enough whisky like. So you sit with these heavy sweet smoky tones with nothing to lift the taste up. This one could use a bit more fruitiness. Still, I had no problem drinking it, and it would probably appeal to fans of whisky from Islay.

3.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this stored almost a year I'd say. Lets try it now even though I fear I'm not going to dig this style. This poured burnt reddish brown with a trace of a head. Can see through the color and I struggle to see bubbles.
Smells better than I thought as I get some hops right away. There's also heavy malts, and a roasted but bitter coffee/ cocoa scent. Interesting. My first impression reminded me of the black IPA style from the couple of times I tried that style. Lets see how the taste goes..
Smoky ok. .and smooth for the high abv. I might add. The finish is borderline brash with the alcohol. I guess that's the alcohol and whiskey heat of this beast. But the smokiness sits well with me since I recently tried Alaskan's great porter with the smoked flavors and this brew is nice in that way, up front it is at first. It's the somewhat brash lingering, metallic aftertaste that takes something away for me. Maybe this would have been better if i waited a year or 2 longer? Or it could be i dont like this style. It's big on the malts. The more i sip, the warmer it gets, the more i recall whiskey. This is like a carbonated whiskey with heavier smoked notes.

4.08/5  rDev +24%

330ml bottle. Oversized glass. Enjoyed on may´12. Very dark amber color. Tan colored head, lasting & creamy crown. Aromatic profile shows sweet roasted malts with hints of dark fruits & toffee notes. Sweet coffee at first sip, hints of plum. Ruthless dry bitter explosion overwhelms fruit flavor. Wood aged brandy notes round a hot aftertaste. Watch up your cigarette!! Full body, soft carbonation.

3.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Murky Amber with a tan head that instantly shrinks to a collar and leaves a skim of foam and a few bubbles on the surface. Tiny scraps of lace cling to the glass. The aroma is peaty....real peaty, smoked peat and band-aid notes with a barely noticeable whiff of the beer underneath. A Scotch bomb! This is the ballsiest beer of all time, the flavors are dominated by peaty oak and smoke with a lot of the caramelized sugars and vanilla bean flavors imparted by the barrel. The beer itself is a little lost in the mix of powerful tannins and oak but the underlying malt bomb is nice and malty with some hop flavor and plenty of warming alcohol. Medium full bodied with plenty of sugars and tannins to smash the palate on impact. I like this beer but it is ridiculous, way overdone and completely unbalanced. Still surprisingly fun to drink for the adventurous. I am in the minority but I really dig this brew.

4.36/5  rDev +32.5%

Appearance: Dark brown, maybe a bit oily, not much of a head.

Aroma: The peat is not very strong, but there is a distinctive aroma of whisky, not too intensive though.

Taste: Rich and malty, typical for a barley wine, but the strong alcohol content is well balanced and does not ruin the taste at all. There is a peculiar aftertaste, most likely due to the toffee:
sugary sweetness. It’s a bit strange in a beer like this, and I can see how it might not be to everyone’s taste, but it’s certainly quite original.

Mouthfeel: Balanced, medium-bodied.

Overall: A very interesting collaborative beer with one of the most inventive and crazy breweries from Scotland (BrewDog) and a good US brewery (Three Floyds), which I’m familiar with but haven’t had the chance to sample their products very much yet.

Being a big fan of single malts and especially the peaty and smoky whiskies coming from Islay and around, I was very curious about this beer. After fermentation the beer has been aged in old Jura single malt whisky barrels for 8 months. I’ve visited Islay and Jura, which are two adjacent islands. The beer didn’t disappoint, although I’d like a more intense whisky or peat flavour — in the US I’ve had a few beers branded as ‘Scotch Ale’ which have had a slightly more intense whisky flavour to them, but without the peat. It’s worth noting that there’s no smokiness in this beer, unlike in many of the Islay whiskies (not so much Jura though).

Recommended if you can get your hands on it. I sampled this one at one of my favourite pubs in Helsinki, Kuikka, but it did cost me 14 euros!

2.97/5  rDev -9.7%

Look: Pours a darker side of brown and almost translucent with no head

Smell: Smoke and peat on the nose with just a touch of alcohol and wood

Taste: For me the beer has tons of tobacco. I don't mind some tobacco notes but this one just way too much. There is also traces of smoke, oak, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: Medium body and little carbonation

Overall: This one is just not a very good beer. The smell and taste are just all over the place and a bit of a mess. Will not be seeking this one out again

4.07/5  rDev +23.7%

Ok this goes down as the most interesting beer I've tried to date.

Appearance: A great color here dark copper or even mohogany color very rich.

Smell: I love this smell it has the same medicinal smell that an Islay scotch would have, very good. Exceptional my favorite for smell!

Taste: While I liked it a lot it couldn't stand up to the aroma. Very earthy with a hint of the scotch taste others have noted at the very end but obviuosly without the burn. Taste is similar to a smoked beer but very much not a smoke beer at the same time. All the band-aid none of the smoke.

Mouthfeel: Not a lot of head to this beer for me (pored in to a tulip glass) but the carbonation is there though you can't see it.

Overall: A must try espessially if you are a beer geek who appreciates a good scotch, even more true if your favorite scotch is an Islay. Like Laphroag where some of this barley comes from.

4.05/5  rDev +23.1%

A-Pours ruby red with rusty orange highlights and over an inch of bubbly, creamy khaki head. As it slowly deflates it leaves intricate webs of thick, sticky lacing down the glass.

S- The nose leads with a striking combination of peated malt and bitter, citrusy hops. Aromas of chimney smoke, pipe tobacco, old leather, brandied peaches and burnt sugar.

T/M-The body is disarmingly soft and smooth, not at all what I expected from a nearly 12% young barleywine aged in scotch barrels. The peated malt is well integragted. It’s a dominant flavor, but not an overwhelming one. It sits on the back of the throat, but never coats the palate. It provides an assertively stony, smoky base for the oak and scotch whisky flavors that follow. A very simple flavor profile, but a successful one. I appreciate that this beer was actually designed to mesh well with the barrels in which it was aged, rather than taking the less predictable route of throwing any old beer in a barrel and seeing what happens. Full bodied with low carbonation.

O-Very enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev +17%

The beer is dark, almost black with an amber hue. A tan head that settles slowly and leaves good lacing.

Smelling mainly of smokey peat, burnt wood, dried fruit nuances.

The taste starts with burned crust, charred wood, smoked sausage, sweet dried dates, some sherry notes and a hint of booze. Good bitter lemon zest.

Medium to small carbonation, slightly sticky and oily, a good body, a coarse dry finish.

To me this bottle was not at all as good as the cask variant I tried earlier!

1.74/5  rDev -47.1%

I'm going to assume the name of this beer is a reference to one of the kickass raps of my time by Snoop Dog. Listen to "Bitch Please 2", it's da shiznit. The beer unfortunately, is an insult to the song.

A - Reddish colored beer with an off-white head that faded to a slight ring and left some minor stick on the sides.

S - Well BrewDog has done it again! Albeit, this time with a hand from FFF apparently. Smells like vulcanized rubber and exceptionally cheap, peaty Scotch whiskey. Horrible. I think there might be some hops in there.

T - Tastes just as bad as the nose, except you can throw some permanent marker and iodine into the tires and peat. I don't know how BrewDog (and now FFF I guess) keeps throwing this stuff into bottles because it sucks so bad.

M - Medium bodied, a little dry, moderate carbonation.

O - I don't know why people keep doing this. All it does is piss off the consumer and makes me not want to by things from BrewDog. Bitch Please pour this down the drain.

to view more.