BrewDog / Three Floyds Bitch Please - BrewDog

BrewDog / Three Floyds Bitch PleaseBrewDog / Three Floyds Bitch Please

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

(Beer added by: AgentMunky on 04-29-2011)
Reviews by danieelol:
danieelol

Australia

2.8/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance is brownish muscatel colour. I want to say it looks like Tokay although I’m not confident I’ve actually had Tokay before. Good resilient head and very nice lacing on this one.

Aroma seems a little muted and doesn’t open up as much as I’d hope. There is some chemically ethanol and smokey peat with a pruney malt backing.

Taste is peaty and smokey with some alcohol. There is some sweetness in there but it’s overwhelmed by the peat and alcohol elements. Now I’m usually one who complains of beers being too sweet but this one really would have been balanced a lot better with a bit more sweetness. There is now smokey ham in the taste with a bitter almost burnt finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carb and whiskey/alcohol bitterness.

Well I’m glad I’ve tried it but I found it difficult to drink and finish. Barleywine categorisation is very misleading in this case. This is a unique beast and rauchbier and Scotch lovers will probably enjoy it. That said, drinking it for me was not a particularly pleasant experience and I do feel the base beer did not come through very much and there was not a huge deal of complexity here. Also; very costly.

10-14-2011 05:17:14 | More by danieelol
RumbleBHeavy

Oregon

3.58/5  rDev +8.8%

I loved this beer! Was looking for something different, new and exciting. A bit pricey, but I'll do it for every BREWDOG collaboration.

Tulip pour.

A. Looks beautiful at first glance, and even better after a settle. BRONZE in appearance, light carbonation, looks just right. Minimal head, right up my alley.

S. Very strong, you can definitely tell this was barrel aged. Scotch man all day, so this fit my fancy.

T. Instant explosion, almost unbearable, but every sip afterwards becomes more inviting. Starts off strong with a tempered middle and a glorious aftertaste.

Probably won't buy again, but I have one I'll lay down for a few months and bust it out with some friends after it's all sold out.

Purchased 2.24.12 upon request of beer god Evan Hendrix at my local Whole Foods in Bend, Oregon.

02-25-2012 17:40:32 | More by RumbleBHeavy
AdvocateFan

2.83/5  rDev -14%

Pours a burgundy brown with an off white head that holds its own at the edges. Smells of peat and Scotch, that’s for sure. There’s some rich caramel in the background. Scotch, Scotch, Scotch. Peated smokiness. Some stinging hoppyness on the nose too, blended with the alcohol, it’s really quite menacing. Wow. This is challenging. It’s not entirely unpleasant, but it’s pretty rampantly "out there." On the palate, the Scotch is very prominent, fades a bit to let some caramel malt sweetness rise, then rises up again in a smoky, scotch-y finish. Notes of charcoal. The alcohol is barely felt or tasted, which is surprising at 11.5% ABV. Smoky, band-aid-y phenols. Overall, it tastes like an adulterated scotch. That being said, and in all seriousness, I’m not a big Scotch fan, so it shouldn’t be a surprise that I’m not digging this. However, I read the label, and in my American mind, the bit about being aged in Whisky barrels sounded good. Stupidly, I was expecting Bourbon Whiskey and I got Scotch Whisky… should have known,totally my error… I can’t ding this one too badly for that mistake on my part. I do have to give credit for being pretty well balanced despite the massive alcohol and the “unsuppressable” notes of Scotch Whisky with beer. That being said, I have not yet had a hoppy beer that tastes good with Scotch barrel aging. Efforts should probably stop. This is a pretty challenging beer. However, pairing with a strong blue cheese stuffed inside green olives made for a really nice experience. I don’t think I’d drink this again without that kind of pairing. On its own, it was just a bit too outlandish for me. The $12.99 for a 12-oz bottle just sets one up for disappointment as well.

12-06-2011 06:14:46 | More by AdvocateFan

1.55/5  rDev -52.9%

Bottle (2011)

Stone Brew. Co.
Escondido, CA

Deep auburn in color with a quickly disappearing light khaki colored head. This doesn't leave much more than a few clinging bubbles to the glass.

The aroma is terrible, though in all fairness, the taste was worse. The aroma is a combination of burnt wood, rubber, campfire, a drag strip, and burnt sugars.

The flavor is awful. A few of the descriptors I heard friends offer in defense of this beer:
"Burnt tire"
"Burnt rubber"
"Campfire deliciousness"
"Huge tobacco note...yeeeeaaah"
"Disgusting"
"Perhaps the worst beer I've ever had"

Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation.

Disgusting, vile stuff.

09-05-2012 01:59:54 | More by crowsoup
ONovoMexicano

New Mexico

3.96/5  rDev +20.4%

According to the bottle, this beer was brewed in August of 2010 and is best before 2016.

Not a particularly appealing beer looks-wise, this beer has lots of sediment visible in the cloudy, muddy brown liquid. The head was about a quarter finger thick, fizzy and rapidly dissipated into a thin lace at the center of the beer. There's steady carbonation apparent and not much else of note.

I get a lot of raisin on the nose, as well as the peaty aroma of whiskey, some boozy astringency and dark fruit. The raisin and peat are most prominent. There's also a bit of a smoky charcoal aroma.

Woosa, this beer is very whiskey-like! A huge, smokey, peaty flavor hits the mouth immediately and lingers strongly on my tongue. With the highly carbonated mouthfeel, this adds a tingling tongue sensation that almost reminds me of what a Seven and Seven would feel and taste like. There are some sweet caramelly notes and earthy hops in there too, it just takes a minute to discover them with the intensity of the previously mentioned flavor notes. As I continue to drink, the raisin notes from the nose emerge a bit as well.

I don't detect any alcohol astringency, despite the whiskey presence, so the beer drinks relatively smoothly. The aftertaste is intense and not faint for the heart, if smokiness and charcoal don't sound appealing to you, I don't advise drinking this, however, I am enjoying it.

I'd say there are deficiencies with this beer and it's not perfect, but it is quite an adventure and a beer I'm not likely to forget. However, I think I paid a pretty penny for this beer and can't justify that again.

02-26-2014 03:31:05 | More by ONovoMexicano

05-21-2014 00:27:24 | More by brokentee
MrKennedy

Australia

2.95/5  rDev -10.3%

330ml bottle shared with mulder1010, purchased from Slowbeer and poured into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip style glass.

Pours a reddish brown with a mother of pearl coloured head of foam that has good head retention. Impressive looking barleywine.

Smells peaty and smoky with some band aid aroma. Very islay malt whisky though surprisingly this is aged for 8 months in Jura whisky barrels. No sign of the underlying beer.

With the taste there is some sweetness, not a lot, this is dominated by the whisky ageing. Very peaty and smoky and one dimensional in this regard.

Mouthfeel is dominated from the flavours, the underlying beer would be good by itself, but it is the smokiness that reigns supreme in this regard.

I don't mind barrel ageing overall, but i believe it is important to be able to taste the base beer to determine the (positive or in this case, potentially negative) impact of the barrel ageing.

08-21-2011 13:05:25 | More by MrKennedy
cjacobsen

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to Sweemzander for sharing this one.

(A) - Dark burnt orange, brownish, copper, clean with slight bubbled head. Leaves lacing

(S) - Smells of booze. Oak and whiskey. Some fig, leather, some heat

(T) - Smoked peat, generally smokey, decent amount of hops. Almost a smoked jerky taste to it.

(M) - Somewhat grainy, ends slightly dry. Medium to full body.

(O) - A lot more peat than I expected. More of a smokiness that is definitely a different spin on a BW.

02-13-2012 16:12:54 | More by cjacobsen

11-09-2013 06:37:40 | More by MontereyBay831
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev +20.1%

Massive thanks goes out to the individual (hit me up if this was you so I can give proper credit!) who shared this one with the group at the "Evening Wood" tasting graciously hosted by cmrillo! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and smoke. The flavor was of sweet malt, smoke, citrus, and smoky hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. Holy smokey Barleywine Batman!!! This was not at all what I was expecting, but I rather enjoyed it. The smokey flavor worked really well in this brew, but it did rob a lot from the typical Barleywine flavor and aroma profile. The aroma was smokey as crap which pretty much dominated the nose. At least the flavor allowed a little citrus to come through before smoking out your palate. I liked it... If you like smoke get this one your palate. If not, avoid at all costs.

08-26-2011 19:09:13 | More by thagr81us