Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

BrewDog / Three Floyds Bitch Please - BrewDog

BrewDog / Three Floyds Bitch PleaseBrewDog / Three Floyds Bitch Please

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Barleywine |  11.50% ABV

Beer added by: AgentMunky on 04-29-2011

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.21/5  rDev +25.3%

We don't get FFF down in these parts. So, when I saw this on the shelf (even at the absurd $12 price), I was like do I have to buy this? My mind replied: Bitch, please. Hence, I have a bottle. Served in a Great Divide balloon glass.

I expected this 12% ABV big boy to pour without much of a head. Boy, was I wrong there. Awesome tan head. Good density and height. There was good lacing for most of the glass and there was a nice layer that stood at the top of my glass. The body was a deep, beautiful blood garnet. I'm not sure I could picture a better look for a barleywine.

The nose is a bit more muted than I would have guessed. The barleywine stickiness is buried way back in there. The predominant aroma is the smoke. Some smoked beers come across as bacon. Some come across as chloraseptic spray. This comes across like a cigar. This might be the smokiest beer I've had.

The body is light on the sticky barleywine, but huuuge on the smoke. There's still a big, thick base for the mouthfeel... but holy hell that's smoky. Maybe I should be pairing this with a cigar. Still, the beer does an outstanding job of separating the taste notes. I'm not 100% sold on the flavor of this thing, but I've also never had anything like it. It's interesting and at $12 for a bottle, I'd recommend that anyone go out there to buy a bottle to split with a small group. You'll appreciate the experience, but you might not need a whole glass.

EDIT: As I keep drinking, I get more accustomed to the smoke taste. It's getting sweeter and more well rounded. The whisky flavors start to come through, too. It seems like I'm slowly becoming sophisticated enough to appreciate the beer as I work through it. I'm bumping most of the scores up for this dynamic flavor interaction. A beer that everyone should try, just for the experience. (1,821 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance is brownish muscatel colour. I want to say it looks like Tokay although I’m not confident I’ve actually had Tokay before. Good resilient head and very nice lacing on this one.

Aroma seems a little muted and doesn’t open up as much as I’d hope. There is some chemically ethanol and smokey peat with a pruney malt backing.

Taste is peaty and smokey with some alcohol. There is some sweetness in there but it’s overwhelmed by the peat and alcohol elements. Now I’m usually one who complains of beers being too sweet but this one really would have been balanced a lot better with a bit more sweetness. There is now smokey ham in the taste with a bitter almost burnt finish.

Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carb and whiskey/alcohol bitterness.

Well I’m glad I’ve tried it but I found it difficult to drink and finish. Barleywine categorisation is very misleading in this case. This is a unique beast and rauchbier and Scotch lovers will probably enjoy it. That said, drinking it for me was not a particularly pleasant experience and I do feel the base beer did not come through very much and there was not a huge deal of complexity here. Also; very costly. (1,184 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +23.5%

Clear dark copper colour with a big, rocky, light tan head. Good head retention. Some lacing.

Peaty malt up front in the aroma backed up by some sweetness, fruit esters and a touch of vanilla. Mild alcohol. The aroma is actually quite complex.

This starts off very peaty, driven by a brooding, ashy peat malt but that gives way to a phenolic, smoky malt and then some vanilla and caramel from the barrel. It is important to note that most of the peat in this comes from peated malt in the mash rather than from the barrels. The sweetness has a slight fruitiness to it as well. Personally, I really like it though I wonder what happened to the shortbread and toffee that were allegedly added to the beer.

Medium body with moderately high carbonation. Works fine.

I like this quite a bit. I can understand why some people think it is too smoky but the peat does subside as your palate acclimatises and it leads to a much more nuanced beer than initially hits you. (965 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +17.6%

Massive thanks goes out to the individual (hit me up if this was you so I can give proper credit!) who shared this one with the group at the "Evening Wood" tasting graciously hosted by cmrillo! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured red-orange with a half finger off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt and smoke. The flavor was of sweet malt, smoke, citrus, and smoky hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. Holy smokey Barleywine Batman!!! This was not at all what I was expecting, but I rather enjoyed it. The smokey flavor worked really well in this brew, but it did rob a lot from the typical Barleywine flavor and aroma profile. The aroma was smokey as crap which pretty much dominated the nose. At least the flavor allowed a little citrus to come through before smoking out your palate. I liked it... If you like smoke get this one your palate. If not, avoid at all costs. (1,062 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -10.4%

330 ML bottle

Thanks to Mr Kennedy for opening this.

A-- Poured a dark reddish brown color. Nice, large off white head that left good looking lacing and good looking film that remained through drinking. Nice looking beer.

S-- Some toffee, coffee, hint of biscuit, malt, and a whole bunch of peat. Yep, smells like a single malt whisky.

T-- Burnt camp fire log, peat, smoke, and a very slight bit of sweetness.

M-- Mr Kennedy had the whisky that this was in a barrel of (judah) and the whisky was smoother. Think I needed a few ice cubes to open up the beer. Hard to find traces of the base beer but a lot of traces of the base whisky. Spot on carbonation and the feel is good but this is the beer when you want a Islay single malt scotch.

O-- Is 8 months on a barrel too long? Or did they just forget about the beer and rediscover it? What little was left of the beer was good but the barrel ate what was left. If you like big smoke, peat and wood you will probably like it. Bottle before was Gratitude and this was not in the same league as Gratitude was. (1,067 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -12.5%

330ml bottle shared with mulder1010, purchased from Slowbeer and poured into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip style glass.

Pours a reddish brown with a mother of pearl coloured head of foam that has good head retention. Impressive looking barleywine.

Smells peaty and smoky with some band aid aroma. Very islay malt whisky though surprisingly this is aged for 8 months in Jura whisky barrels. No sign of the underlying beer.

With the taste there is some sweetness, not a lot, this is dominated by the whisky ageing. Very peaty and smoky and one dimensional in this regard.

Mouthfeel is dominated from the flavours, the underlying beer would be good by itself, but it is the smokiness that reigns supreme in this regard.

I don't mind barrel ageing overall, but i believe it is important to be able to taste the base beer to determine the (positive or in this case, potentially negative) impact of the barrel ageing. (911 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +8%

Pours a darkish golden brown. Nice aromas of toffee and a little chocolate. A bit of an overpowering peaty whisky taste, but I know that's what they were going for. Problem is it is a bit too smoky and not enough whisky like. So you sit with these heavy sweet smoky tones with nothing to lift the taste up. This one could use a bit more fruitiness. Still, I had no problem drinking it, and it would probably appeal to fans of whisky from Islay. (444 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Poured 1 finger of bright white head. Dark reddish brown colour, great looking beer.

Smell: Whisky, sweet toffee alcohol smell with a slight smokiness.

Taste: I struggled with this one. I have only come across stouts with this level of smokiness in the past. The peaty smokiness I found difficult. I definitely appreciated this overpowering ash/cigar flavour more towards the end, but still found it offputting. Slight hoppyness. Mild alcohol burn but not too noticeable given the other strong flavours. Maybe I’m not a fan of peated malts.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel, slightly sticky with good carbonation.

Overall: I’m not a fan of the smokiness of this beer. The peated malts and whisky barrel aging just took over and completely dominated this beer. I think this would be a beer that some would love and others hate. I wouldn’t want it again, but I could see that what’s a negative for me could be a massive positive for others. (955 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +14.6%

The beer is dark, almost black with an amber hue. A tan head that settles slowly and leaves good lacing.

Smelling mainly of smokey peat, burnt wood, dried fruit nuances.

The taste starts with burned crust, charred wood, smoked sausage, sweet dried dates, some sherry notes and a hint of booze. Good bitter lemon zest.

Medium to small carbonation, slightly sticky and oily, a good body, a coarse dry finish.

To me this bottle was not at all as good as the cask variant I tried earlier! (488 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

330 ml bottle 11,5% Abv.
Batch 098 (I think its an 8), BBE 19/03/16
Served at room temperature in a tulip wine glass.
Review 100

Appearance: Beautiful pour, rich mahogany body with beautiful crimson highlights and golden edges when held to the light. A rough pour yields a large head (4 finger), creamy texture, off white colour, good retention and amazing lace (I'm talking IPA levels!!!).

Smell: I have heard that this beer is a little mad and my first whiff confirms it.
Initially sweet with caramel, toffee and sweet fruits (golden raisins jump out at me). Whisky notes suddenly engulf the sweetness - loads of peat, burned rubber, antiseptic band aids, and touches of smoke, some oak and a hint of sea spray. A touch of hops (mostly pine, with a touch of citrus) are also noted.
If the smell was a tad stronger (it is strong, but I want it to jump out of the glass), full marks would not have been out of the question.

Taste: I wished the smell was a little stronger- no such wishes here! As with the smell, the flavour is initially sweet with caramel, toffee and lightly spiced golden fruit. Whisky based flavours appear abruptly drowning out the sweetness. Again peat dominates, band aids, rubber, charred wood and sea spray. The finish is wonderful with lots of pine, lightly floral (maybe it’s just the Scottish theme, but I get a touch of heather) and a pleasant bitterness. The alcohol is well noted, but plays a big part in the flavour and is essential to the whole flavour "working" (the whisky notes would seem totally out of place without warming alcohol).

Mouthfeel: Superb! Full body, sticky and oily. Perfect carbonation, mild and smooth. The finish has a distinct whisky dryness.

Overall: Superb beer, if somewhat eccentric. Trust the guys from Three Floyds and Brewdog to throw crazy things together and brew an amazing beer. I wish I could get another bottle. Highly recommended! (1,912 characters)

Love the name and a big fan of both these brewers so here goes and it pours a murky light cherry hue with decent carbonation that leaves behind a one finger head that stays and leaves heaps of clingy lacing,wow what a smell its aromas of peated malt,caramel candy,corn and dettol,it has a full bodied silky mouthfeel and has tastes of sticky toffee,whiskey,smokey peated malts,sweet caramel candy and finished with a bittersweet piney hop shortbread finish and overall a very interesting drop and hats off to the breweries for using the amount of peated malts that they did to make this very drinkable and would drink again. (624 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -8%

best before 19-03-16

pours a deep red/brown color with lots of off-white head. really nice.

nose is really smokey upfront with burnt, spice aromas.

definitely way too smokey as soon as you taste it. also a bit of malt and caramel. nice sharpness/bitterness but not very drinkable.

overall i didn't really care for this barrel-aged take on the style, or the outrageous price it cost. it was okay but nothing special - pretty much just a lame novelty collab. (460 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +5.1%

12oz bottle shared with Klym, acquired from his London Adventure. Marked as a Collaboration of Three Floyd's and BrewDog.

Poured into a Stone Nonic.

A: Stained glass amber/brown with some very sticky medium-small soap sud bubbles. Head went to a height of about 1 finger, then let a ring of lacing where the high water mark is mostly what's left. A panoramic view of a ghostly mountain range sticks firmly to the glass wall.

S: A very southern dry-rub bbq sweetness shows up with some grainy cane sugars. Oddly strong notes of paprika and cumin. More hidden notes of white pepper and fancy shoe polish. Quite the oddity, but we are dealing with BrewDog here. Hopefully Three Floyd's isn't left in the dust on this effort. Nose smells very BrewDog-ish.

T: Dusty Rattlesnake boots and abalone inlaid Texas saddle -- The brew dog has landed. There's a mix of spices here that really bring me to smooth surfaced leathers. A marinade on a sweet turkey jerky. A game like note of boar, this is a meaty bbq barley wine. You can even taste the clothes of the cowboy that cooked it. However, it's really quite balanced. the sweetness isn't so penetrating, and the earthy leather notes are refined. Lots of Malt lots of spices, but not so bad at all. Late bittering hop note that's a welcome relief from the onslaught of southern bbq. I think I found the work of Three Floyds!

M: A medium grade mouth-feel with suggestions of creaminess without quite getting there. The carbonation is pretty light, but it doesn't really hurt this beer since the earthy flavor tones overtake any potentially watery notes that may have started to appear in any other beer profile. The after feel is a bit muddy, in between aspirin, velvet, and wetness. Like having wet fabric with a dash of peanut oil. Kinda funky.

O: To get the obvious things out of the way: this is not a session beer, this is not a bad beer, and this is not a great beer. There's miles to go in terms of opening up this type of flavor profile to beers. However, with BrewDog I can't help but feel it seems to make its way into EVERY style. It certainly works better here in a barley wine than most, but the spices need to go somewhere besides the south. I want there to be more complexity, more contrast, and most certainly a more interesting drinking experience. Unusual flavor, yes, but what else? I think Three Floyd's helped execute this in an acceptably interesting offering, but let's see something captivating. Points for trying, and minus points for only trying so hard. Two tones in an interesting flavor isn't enough to be considered a very good beer; more craft is required! I'm ranting, I'll stop. (2,662 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a Stone nonic.

A: Pours a thick but very clear red. Don't see any carbonation bubbling up in the body but there's a plentiful head for a barley wine. Lacing is spotty, thick like moss and stays on the sides of the glass throughout the drink.

S: Both hops and maltinesss stick out with a non-hot whiskey aroma. Savory black beans, a little tang and some woody notes. Smells interesting and unfamiliar.

T: Surprised by the taste on this one. Tangy barbecue sauce and tons of chipotle peppers with black beans, fried potatoes and some biting char. Not very hot but the whisky comes out in the mouthfeel. Pretty savory and delicious.

M: Despite the head there isn't much carbonation to the body on this beer and it comes off a little thin in the mouth. There's a whisky-vapor like presence throughout the mouth on drink that is a little suffocating and the linger of the aftertaste has a mouthfeel character like whiskey. This beer really took the mouthfeel and characters of whiskey without getting the hotness or the flavor of whiskey. I'd have to say though that while I'd normally knock down for the whiskey character, I think it suits this beer.

O: I don't think this beer would please everyone, but if you're looking for a barbecue dinner and a shot of whiskey this one will save you some time. Brewdog hits and misses, but I'd rank this among their hits. (1,377 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +16.4%

A: This beer pours dark brown with lots of hints of red. Large off-white creamy thick head that slowly sets into rich lacings.

S: Smoked roasted sweet malt. Some burnt notes. Dark dried fruits and some citric floral hoppy notes. Faint vanilla.

T: Sweet roasted malt, lots of dark dried fruits. Smoky and faint spicy. Reminds of a smoky Single Malt Whisky, aged on bourbon casks - vanilla and smoke. Citric notes, way in the back.

M: Full body, moderatly carbonated. Aftertaste lingers and holds dry bitterness and some faint sweetness.

O: Complex and well balanced, but the whisky/oaky/vanilla is a bit too much in my book. (629 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a wonderful deep dark red beer into the elegant brewdog tulip glass, Good beige head, creamy. Smells smoky, roasted, very German nose. The taste is malty, clearly smoky, herbal. You can feel the alcohol warm your mouth, small bitterness, small carbonation. Easy drinkability for a 11,5 % Barley Wine.
The aftertaste is very spicy, little bit liquorous.
I clearly expected something more heavy for a collaboration brew between those two good brewers. (455 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +28.6%

Dark brown/reddish color with off-white head. It looks lovely towards the light with its dark reddish hue.

Complex aroma with some hints of leather and some alcohol. It’s quite peaty as well. Beers aged in whisky casks tend to be pretty complex.

The flavor is much like the nose with some extra punch from the peated malt. I’m not getting typical Islay peat, but aromas from the casks the beer has been aged in is definitely present. (440 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +19.6%

Purchased at Utobeer at Borough Market in London. Poured into a wine glass.

Pours a dark brown (dark amber when held to light) clear color with two finger of rocky off white (cream) colored head. Retention is pretty impressive and it leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Really pretty looking barley wine.

Smells of brown sugar, cane sugar, vanilla fudge, and then hints of earth/smokey peat. Extra emphasis on hints as the caramelized sugar scents steal the show here.

Taste is sorta of a 180 from the smell. Huge smokey and earthy peat notes up front. Very earthy mid palate with some subtle scotch barrel and oak notes. There is some caramelized sugar/brown sugar notes, and then there is grassy, spicy and bitter hoppy notes on the finish accompanied with more smokey peat notes. A really long lasting finish.

The mouthfeel is fairly full bodied with slick and oilly feel. Some spicey/tingly feeling I think resulting from the hops.

A really interesting concept. The peated notes aren't too powerful and play very well with the scotch barrel aging. (1,063 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +4.8%

poured into a Caracole snifter. Overall, a decent beer. As a 12% barleywine this was too thin in body and appearance. The smoky peat expected from a scottish ale is there and well-balanced (for those that like this style). flavor was good and very drinkable. Some sweetness comes through in the nose and not so much in the taste. (329 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured from a 33cL bottle into a BrewDog cervoise glass. Batch 49[8?]. Best before 10 August 2016.

A collaborative effort with Three Floyds. "Barrel aged Scottish barley wine."

A: A moderately-forceful pour results in almost two fingers of off-white which churns slowly and shrinks quickly. The beer is a mahongany brown, just barely clear. Good lacing.

S: I was confused by the smell until I place peat (as if from whisky) as the now-obvious king of the aroma. It's not not the strongest scent, but the most recongisable and captivating. There are also some sweetish hops, complemented by fruit (overripe grapefruit?). There also seems to be a vanilla undertone, although after looking at the label, I suspect this is rather the added toffee. Complicated and always interesting.

T: Weird as hell. But tasty. Just as all-over-the-place and complex as the smell, with most of the constituent ingredients. At first, an alcoholic-packed punch of raw (piney?) hops hits, quickly followed by a startling sweetness containing both toffee and whisky. Focusing on the pleasant barrel-aging, peated barley makes a brief, but unmissable, appearance -- smoke comes out of nowhere, then leaves as abruptly as it came. The aftertaste is lazily long, largely hoppy/bitter, but with a distinctive ashiness I've come to associate with certain Islay malts (less Jura and more Port Charlotte PC8). Odd to find in a beer, though this is just an odd beer all-around. Sheer power of flavour (and my fondness for Islay whisky) bumps my rating up a notch.

M: Nothing really special here, other than a drying peat. The warmer the beer, the peatier it gets. I like this.

O: It definitely lacks focus, but that's not necessarily a bad thing -- by the same token, Bitch Please is incredibly multi-dimensional. Fortunately, none of the individual facets are unpleasant. While *I* certainly wouldn't have shoved all these flavours into one beer, the ambitious effort has resulted in an intriguing and rewarding drink. I certainly recommend trying one and may very well grab another one for myself. (2,075 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last