2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

BrewDog Paradox Jura - BrewDog

BrewDog Paradox JuraBrewDog Paradox Jura

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

(Beer added by: niklas0770 on 02-09-2012)
View: Beers (120) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 77 | Reviews: 16 | Show All Ratings:
kojevergas

3.81/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

11.2 fl oz brown glass bottle with appealing label and pry-off pressure cap served into an Avery stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I'm generally skeptical of Brewdog (the gimmick masters), but I did quite like Tokyo* so I'm optimistic. "Batch 186. Best before 08/06/22." Reviewed as a barrel aged imperial stout.

Served cold - at fridge temp - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of good khaki-tan colour. It retains for about 2 minutes - which is damned impressive considering its formidable 15% ABV. Good thickness, creaminess, and frothiness. Nice supple soft complexion. Has a good even consistency. Even, consistent lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid black. Appears adequately carbonated. Looks clean; there're no floating yeast particles or hop sediment.

Overall, it looks pretty good considering its ABV, but isn't unique or special for a beer in this style. I've certainly seen better, but I'm really looking forward to this.

Sm: Has a powerful, strong aroma of whisky (and accompanying subtle spiciness), bourbon (and accompanying light, toasted oak along with a kiss of vanilla), dark malts, chocolate malts, peat (which I always love in an imperial stout), and hints of cream and chocolate. The highlight here is the way in which the barrel notes - both bourbon and whisky - cooperate to accentuate the nuances of the base beer. I'm shocked this isn't boozy, and surprisingly, the barrel notes don't overwhelm the base. It seems like it's maybe 10-11.5% at most. The peat is lovely.

It's rare whisky's trademark spiciness comes through as much as it does here; I usually prefer bourbon barrel aged beers to whisk(e)y barrel aged beers for that very reason, but this is evocative and appealing.

I can't wait to try this.

No yeast character, overt alcohol, or off-notes are detectable.

Mf/T: It's got some pleasant alcohol warmth, but is never hot, gushed, or boozy. It's also got a subtle coarseness and dryness I'd attribute to the peat, but is still smooth and wet enough to stay drinkable. Besides, that slight drag on the palate reminds one to sip. Still, it might be better a bit more silky; the roughness does limit drinkability. Well carbonated.

Not oily, harsh, or astringent (which can't be tough to do given the inclusion of peat).

The taste largely delivers on the promise of the aroma; we're treated to the base beer up front with its dark malt and chocolate malt foundation, as well as a pat of cream - then the barrel notes hit on the midpoint, delivering notes of peat, whiskey spice, subtle bourbon and vanilla, and oak barrel (though it lacks the toastiness I anticipated based on the aroma, to its detriment). It's certainly rich, and is on the sweeter decadent side, but it's a tasty beer to be sure.

Flavour profile is well-balanced overall. It has a very cohesive build, but isn't quite gestalt: the amplitude could be better and the barrel could be more seamlessly integrated. I'm not sure the base beer brings as much to the table as the barrel notes do. Still, it's got a good depth of flavour. Above average flavour duration. Average flavour intensity. Good complexity and subtlety. The barrel notes (specifically the peat) help lend it nuance.

It could really use some roasted barley character, and more of a toasty oak undertone would be lovely. I guess my biggest nitpick is that it could be much more expressive and evocative; it's slightly reticent as-is.

No yeast character, hop profile, off-notes, or overt boozy alcohol is detectable. And boy is that impressive; this does not drink at all like it's 15%.

As it warms, I'm picking up on some faint grape (particularly on the finish), light raisin, molasses, plum, prune, and fruit-filled chocolates. Maybe even a kiss of dessert wine in there too. Also, some burnt sugars. What I'm definitely not finding is the smoke mentioned by many other reviewers; I think they may be confusing smoke with peat, but I only find the latter.

I can almost find a wisp of a rum-like sugarcane liqueur, but just when I think I've found it, it disappears.

Dr: For its ABV, it's very drinkable, but it's still a sipper. I'm enjoying it more and more as it comes to temperature, and I'll finish this bottle with ease. That said, I couldn't justify paying $13.00ish USD for it a second time. It's a damn fine imperial stout, but there are other cheaper beers in the style which bring much more to the table in terms of complexity, intricacy, and subtlety. This is a tough style to stand out in, but I think overall Brewdog has done a commendable job. I'm glad I got to try this once. Certainly one of Brewdog's better offerings, and well worth picking up just one time.

Low B+

04-13-2014 06:13:27 | More by kojevergas
BMMillsy

4.39/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from Bay Ridge in Annapolis. A little pricey but my first Brewdog and hopefully doing so in style. Pours i to my FW Teku dark brown to black and murky in the glass, a very small brown head that turns into just a ring around the top in no time. Aroma is up front scotch whiskey, caramel, chocolate, some dark fruit, oak. Flavor begins with whiskey notes, molasses, and a bit of dark fruit, then bursts into huge nutty flavors and lots of peat. Finishes with nutty, peaty caramel flavors with a slight vanilla and oak. A really beautiful medley of flavors here that come in waves. Medium heavy mouthfeel with relatively high carbonation for the style. Lots of trash talk on Brewdog it seems but this is a real treat. Wouldn't hesitate to have this again. Obviously plenty of alcohol presence here but surprisingly sippable despite the ABV. While listed as an imperial stout, it really has more Wee Heavy, Old Ale, or Barleywine characteristics than stout. Not a bad thing, of course, and rather yummy.

01-23-2014 02:06:17 | More by BMMillsy
heygeebee

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From Platinum. BB 2015.

A - pich black. One finger tan head fades to ring of film, a little lace.

S - intense booze, chocolate-box candy, sweet. Not as much vanilla from the barrel as I expected.

T - massive, complex, pepper, sweet chocolate-box (concuring with another reviewer almost like a strawberry-creme) , single malt, mellow roasts, but really this taste is almost bigger than beer, and demands a circumspect approach. Vanilla from the barrel has a fight on its hands with the pepper.

M - a little zesty.... Oops! Don't need the zing, but otherwise heavyweight to oily. Massive alcohol burn.

O - one of the biggest beers I have ever had, must say. However, the alcohol burn really takes over and affects drinkability. Like drinking 330ml of Port. (!) Would be a great beer to share, or at a tasting, tho.
I was sooo looking forward to this, but such a let down in terms of drinakability, not necessarily flavour, in comparison to Paradox Isle of Arran.

10-26-2013 10:23:20 | More by heygeebee
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.94/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

330ml bottle from Brewdog.com (£7.99):
Black with a thin, bubbly head on top that is half a centimetre tall and a medium tan in colour. Retention is pretty good too.

Strong chocolate aroma with whisky throughout. There is a strong alcohol/grain presence with rich cocoa and a touch of peat. Boozy with dark fruits making an appearance with vanilla right at the end.

Strong, alcohol laced flavour that has a lot of whisky and grain coming through alongside some dark fruits such as plum. There is a strong, toasted malt taste that precedes an earthy taste that is offset with some prunes, dates and figs among others.

Full-bodied with a huge alcohol content as promised and has fairly lively carbonation levels considering this. There is a slight alcohol burn but smooth for the most part.

A true big beer, and one that packs a punch, There is a lot of whisky and grain throughout as expected but the dark fruits that feature throughout make it an enjoyable beer, although this is probably still a one-off for me

10-17-2013 09:36:46 | More by flyingpig
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a pitch-black color stout with a small dark brown foamy head. Aroma of luscious sweet roasted malt notes with light sweet liquor notes. Taste is sweeter then I had expected with some sweet roasted malt notes, light chocolate notes with some light scotch notes at the end which rounds off the corner. Body is quite full with oily like texture with light carbonation and no real apparent alcohol notes. Barrel-aging is not has apparent has I had expected but very good nonetheless.

09-13-2013 15:59:08 | More by Phyl21ca
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

4.11/5  rDev -0.7%

Now this is more like it. Portion of a 12 oz bottle into a Hunahpu's snifter. From notes.

A: Pours a dark brown color. There's no real head, expected given the gravity.

S: Very plummy, with a strong whisky undertone. These tones are backed by a nice chocolate quality, and the booze is hidden very well given 15%.

T: Smoky, peat-forward whisky opens and closes the profile, sandwiching a midtaste of plum and chocolate. Really damn smooth given the strength, too. Only thing I can nitpick is that the integration between the barrel and the base beer isn't perfect.

M: Really good body on this one. It starts sweet, but becomes drier as more of this is sipped. Did I mention the well-concealed alcohol? Don't think I have...

O: Oh yes, I was real impressed with this one. If this were $10/12 oz, I'd buy the shit out of it...alas, it's around $15, so I'm hesitant to recommend this, as excellent as it is. Still worth a try.

03-24-2013 07:54:19 | More by ThisWangsChung
sennin

3.08/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Making my way through BrewDog’s catalogue as much as I can before I leave Italy. None of their beers are available in my hometown so I am on something of a mission here.

Poured into a pint glass on March 6, 2013.

A: Opaque, no light getting through this. Lacing present, relatively nice look throughout the session.

S: Not much going on here that differentiates it from other scotch-like ales- usual smoky peaty smell- but its not very high in the mix and is drowned out by an ever-present rum-like smell. I don’t know, I guess I smell some vanilla in this? Unfortunately, It’s not all that memorable though.

T: First taste is an overwhelming sweetness, something that is unexpected and not exactly pleasant. It tastes like sugar has been added to this brew and in the end it just doesn’t work and clashes hard with the other flavors. Rum kicks hard throughout the tasting session, but there is a nice chocolate like taste on the backend. After the swallow, there almost seems to be a chili like taste that arises, which I am assuming is from the smokiness that comes through from the peat. It’s good and more complex than the smell but that acrid sweetness is always present and pretty much spoils this brew. The sweetness almost resembles maple syrup, something that is very unpleasant in a beer of this nature. Alcohol is present but there isn’t much of a burn to me. This is honestly something of an easy drinker, which is surprising considering the 15% ABV of the beer.

M: Flat with a little carbonation that fizzes on the tongue throughout the tasting. But other than that, it’s a little too oily and flat. Very average mouthfeel to me.

Overall, this beer is a major disappointment to me and is forcing me to slowly turn my back on BrewDog. I love them for their style and some of their beers are pretty amazing, but there are just too many duds in their catalogue. I will keep on trying them since I can’t get them in my hometown, but I am hoping that something comes along to surprise me soon.

03-06-2013 00:16:13 | More by sennin
Belgianbeerbunny

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - 1/2 inch caramel head. Quickly dissipated.

S - Smooth and viscous.

T - Sweet caramel body with a prominent smokey finish.

O - Something different and wonderful. I enjoyed the sweet with the smokey finish. Like nothing I've ever had before. I'm looking forward to trying the other Paradoxes.

02-03-2013 01:48:13 | More by Belgianbeerbunny
UCLABrewN84

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to queens1130 for sharing this one at Benny’s tasting.

Best before 12/23/16.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, smoke, whiskey, and wood. Taste is much the same with an alcohol kick with each sip. There is a mild roasty and smoke bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a nice barrel aged presence.

09-11-2012 01:44:33 | More by UCLABrewN84
BugattiRoo

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Black with no light coming through. Pours a 1.5 finger head that slowly recedes. The lacing is fairly good.
S: Big peat smoke of a whisky followed with alot of vanilla some dark chocolate and coffee.
T: Some sweetness upfront followed by some sherry, dark fruits and some vanilla from the barrels.
M: Mouthfeel was lighter than I was expecting. It was fairly smooth though considering the ABV.
O: A very interesting beer that I am happy I tried. I bought another to see if it mellows with age.

08-15-2012 08:57:49 | More by BugattiRoo
ckollias

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a Belgian tulip glass

A: Pours a pitch black hue with a barely a trace of a white wispy lace.

S: Strong malt and whiskey aroma with hints of vanilla in the background.

T: Very alcoholic and strong whiskey and buttery toffee flavor. Coffee and vanilla in the background with a wood sweet finish.

M: Very strong and boozy. Thick body and almost no carbonation.

O: Awesome imperial stout. A nice sipping beer like sipping a wine scotch or whiskey

07-29-2012 01:18:08 | More by ckollias
lacqueredmouse

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Bottle purchased from Slowbeer in Melbourne.

Uncaps without so much as a hiss, making me think it's completely uncarbonated. But, in fact, it forms a firm fine head of deep brown as its poured into the glass. Body is a deep but surprisingly clear black-brown. Weight is actually surprisingly light. I thought it might be chewy and oily, but it seems remarkably fluid in the glass. Looks good, but not exceptional for an imperial stout.

Nose is very good. Big smoky whisky malt comes through strongly, above a deep dark, roasted note that released softer, sweeter characters, like raspberry, rose and even a hint of concord grape. It's a big, big beer, and a powerfully aromatic one. Wow this is good stuff.

Taste is also exceptional. Big roasted characters blend with smoked malt grain characters, while subtleties give off characters of leather, tea tannins, raspberry, rosewater and musk. It's big, boozy and dark, but still, I come back to that fruitiness: on the palate it's almost like an artificial strawberry candy flavour. It seems to come out of the booziness (which is indeed pronounced and hot); as it tears a path through the palate, it seems to burn away all of the rich dark sweetness, leaving those volatile aromatics in its wake: the strawberry, the musk, the grape candy. It's fascinating, more so because it gives purpose to the intense booze beyond just the size and power of the beer as a whole. Amazing stuff.

Feel is quite light, given everything else. At least, it's light for the style: the booze takes up some of the slack here in providing a textural element to the beer.

Overall, this is very, very impressive stuff. How anyone cannot sit an appreciate the depth of complexity here is beyond me. Even if the style is not to your tastes, there are nuances and depths to explore in this beer. It makes for a very worthwhile tasting experience.

07-25-2012 10:22:57 | More by lacqueredmouse
ShanePB

2.88/5  rDev -30.4%

12 oz bottle
Served into a tulip

A: Dark brown on the pour, black in glass, semi-viscous looking with a small tan head. Quickly receding, splotchy lacing and a thin ring around the edges. Minor patches on the surface.

S: Lots of smoke, peat, bacon/cured meats, brash bourbon undertones and charred wood. Very aggressive, big and bold. It seems there's a lot of things going on, jam-packed into the aroma.

T: More smoke but not as much on the nose although certainly the dominating characteristic. The bourbon is here, mellowed yet slightly one-noted. Abrasive meat and wood character that seem disjointed from the beer. Slight imperfections and inconsistencies are everywhere but the massive 15% ABV does a nice job of hiding these.

M: Mildly carbonated, enough to break up the flavors which this beer desperately needs (and has). Drinks thinner than you'd expect but the high ABV can be detected a bit in the linger.

I thought this was all over the place and not necessarily in a good way. I'm certainly glad I decided to share this bottle with someone as there's no way I'd enjoy it by the end of a full 12 ounces. After 6 oz, I was ready to call it quits. Not horrible, not "good," but somewhere in between.

06-13-2012 19:35:44 | More by ShanePB
Sunnanek

Sweden

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Pours motor-oil-black, and looks quite thick. The medium-large creamy tan head sets into decent lacings.

S: Hard roasted dark malts, almost burnt and even smoked. Loads of vanilla from the oak. Some whisky-notes but not as strong as I thougt it would be. Strong black coffee, bitter dark chocolate and even some cherry nuttiness.

T: The alcohol is a bit too obvious in the taste. Then there is lot of things that is the same as in the smell; the vanilla, the smoked/roasted malts. The sweetness is way stronger in taste compared to the smell. Molasses.

M: Aftertaste is short, but bitter. Body is syrupy full with a non-exciting carbonation. The alcohol is quite aggressive, not in a nice way.

O: If they have tried to keep the alcohol back a bit, this would probably been a much nicer beer; the alcohol is so dominant that the nice things in this beer “drowns” in alcohol.

03-08-2012 11:57:23 | More by Sunnanek
cps98

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

A – Squid ink black with a rocky 1 finger light brown head. Head recedes to a thin ring around the glass.

S – Smells like heavy whiskey, oak and some smoked meat. Even a little beef jerky smell in there too.

T – Dehydrated meat like beef jerky, some smokiness and some whiskey.

M – Was more on the lighter side of the house which surprised me? Carbonation was on the lighter side too. Fairly smooth with a small amount of alcohol warmth thrown in.

O – Shared this with a friend and I’m glad I did because it wasn’t to my liking.

02-29-2012 14:29:08 | More by cps98
niklas0770

Sweden

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Drunk out of a military style stoup during an arctic warrior exercise

A black liquid with a ½ finger foam lid which quickly fades to leave no lacing. I'm looking forward to this...

Tar, burnt tree and dried black fruits. If there is any sweetness in there it's hiding behind the sourness of the figs and raisins. The tar is dominating the scene here.

Some honey sweetness up front followed by tar and sherry (?). The alcohol is present in the taste, but it does not bother me. As in the smell, the sourness dominates the sweetness in the aftertaste (servedat room temperature). My thoughts goes towards burned barrels with a thin layer of tar, filled with tried drak fruit and some honey.

I like my stouts thick as oil and I like this one quite a bit. Not saying that it is a thick fluid, but it contains a lot of flavors. The carbonation is inferior to the flavors. The beer feels warm smoth if drunk at a suitable paste.

A great dessert beer. Share this with someone close to you over a choholate cake or just a camp fire in a subarctic climate.

02-09-2012 20:29:10 | More by niklas0770