BrewDog Paradox Jura - BrewDog

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Double / Imperial Stout |  15.00% ABV

Beer added by: niklas0770 on 02-09-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 146 | Reviews: 21
3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.1/5  rDev -3.5%

Now this is more like it. Portion of a 12 oz bottle into a Hunahpu's snifter. From notes.

A: Pours a dark brown color. There's no real head, expected given the gravity.

S: Very plummy, with a strong whisky undertone. These tones are backed by a nice chocolate quality, and the booze is hidden very well given 15%.

T: Smoky, peat-forward whisky opens and closes the profile, sandwiching a midtaste of plum and chocolate. Really damn smooth given the strength, too. Only thing I can nitpick is that the integration between the barrel and the base beer isn't perfect.

M: Really good body on this one. It starts sweet, but becomes drier as more of this is sipped. Did I mention the well-concealed alcohol? Don't think I have...

O: Oh yes, I was real impressed with this one. If this were $10/12 oz, I'd buy the shit out of it...alas, it's around $15, so I'm hesitant to recommend this, as excellent as it is. Still worth a try.

3.12/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Making my way through BrewDog’s catalogue as much as I can before I leave Italy. None of their beers are available in my hometown so I am on something of a mission here.

Poured into a pint glass on March 6, 2013.

A: Opaque, no light getting through this. Lacing present, relatively nice look throughout the session.

S: Not much going on here that differentiates it from other scotch-like ales- usual smoky peaty smell- but its not very high in the mix and is drowned out by an ever-present rum-like smell. I don’t know, I guess I smell some vanilla in this? Unfortunately, It’s not all that memorable though.

T: First taste is an overwhelming sweetness, something that is unexpected and not exactly pleasant. It tastes like sugar has been added to this brew and in the end it just doesn’t work and clashes hard with the other flavors. Rum kicks hard throughout the tasting session, but there is a nice chocolate like taste on the backend. After the swallow, there almost seems to be a chili like taste that arises, which I am assuming is from the smokiness that comes through from the peat. It’s good and more complex than the smell but that acrid sweetness is always present and pretty much spoils this brew. The sweetness almost resembles maple syrup, something that is very unpleasant in a beer of this nature. Alcohol is present but there isn’t much of a burn to me. This is honestly something of an easy drinker, which is surprising considering the 15% ABV of the beer.

M: Flat with a little carbonation that fizzes on the tongue throughout the tasting. But other than that, it’s a little too oily and flat. Very average mouthfeel to me.

Overall, this beer is a major disappointment to me and is forcing me to slowly turn my back on BrewDog. I love them for their style and some of their beers are pretty amazing, but there are just too many duds in their catalogue. I will keep on trying them since I can’t get them in my hometown, but I am hoping that something comes along to surprise me soon.

4.74/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - 1/2 inch caramel head. Quickly dissipated.

S - Smooth and viscous.

T - Sweet caramel body with a prominent smokey finish.

O - Something different and wonderful. I enjoyed the sweet with the smokey finish. Like nothing I've ever had before. I'm looking forward to trying the other Paradoxes.

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.75/5  rDev -11.8%

4.25/5  rDev 0%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
BrewDog Paradox Jura from BrewDog