Brewdog / Three Floyds Bitch Please (Islay Cask) - BrewDog

Brewdog / Three Floyds Bitch Please (Islay Cask)
No picture uploaded.

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Barleywine |  13.50% ABV

(Beer added by: dgilks on 04-14-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.49/5  rDev +18.2%

Bitch Please Islay Cask (batch 44, good till 2017, but the time was right) Poured into a tulip glass was a caramel brown, in the glass quite a bit darker, murky darkish brown, good film and lacing.
S – full of candied and brown sugary aromas, raisins, cherries, sweet treacle, whisps of medicinal smoke and peat coming in, lot of barley notes, a husky sweetness. I had Sunturnbrew by Nogne a few days ago and that came across smokier on the nose.
T – the full barleywine kick is so upfront, then the big salty smoky Islay character comes in strong and lingers through the finish. Starts with candied fruits, and sugary caramelly malts then the transition is abrupt and seamless as you descend into the full depths of peaty southern islay scotch. Notes of smoked fish, oaky treacle, charred barrel, leather, salt, similar to an Ardbeg (maybe) or Laga, not harsh at all which is a bit surprising just a consistent meld of the full bodied barleywine with some seriously smoky and intense islay barrel character, finish is oaky, peaty and longlasting.
M – good, full bodied with a moderate carbonation, strong oaky cloying feel a little bit on the end, maybe a bit long on the barrel contact. Excellent sipping barleywine, alcohol presence isn’t a factor in this profile, well balanced for sure. Lovely.
As a disclaimer, I am a big fan of southern Islay malts, and picked up this beer a year or two ago in Scotland to take home, would highly recommend fans of smoky Islays to try this if they can. Barleywine was a very astute decision to take on the strong peat character, the two meld wonderfully. As it warms a wealth of complexity comes out. This is a really intense beer tho, and probably needs a forewarning before you jump in. But this is really inspiring though, especially the balance, with the boozey whisky barrel working to counter the (boozey) barleywine, somehow worked wonders. How I wish I had more than this bottle...

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

2.25/5  rDev -40.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a red-brown sort of colour, mostly red. Head is beiege, foamy but quite decent. Nice lace; looks good.

Smokey. Charry, burnt, smouldering actually on the nose. So much aroma, and history, and evolution in that smell. It's all of one family but so much character. Wow.

Taste is hugely burnt, charred and smokey. Not meaning to channel Ralph Wiggum but "it tastes like burning". Smouldering, peat-filled, smokey malt. Slight spice and caramel at the back adds a touch of sweetness, but it's really just mostly that smouldering, day-old ash heap; that's the flavour.

Remarkably smooth for the size; big body but pretty good.

Hugely burnt, almost spicy, carbon-burning flavour. I love it of course but it's just so deep and complex and yet there's a smoothness to the construction. Pretty amazing beer.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer surprised me which I'll elaborate at the end of the review...

A: Deep red-brown coloring that is clean looking but almost totally opaque. The beer pours with a right yellow-brown head that has great retention and leaves a lovely lacing on the glass.

S: Intense sweet malty caramel with whiskey and oaky/almost papery notes. The nose on this beer is similar to a smelling a bag of malted barley that had a couple shots of whiskey thrown on it. Very well done for the style but not a lot of complexity which is why I gave it a 4.0

T: WHOA! This took me by surprise, which again I'll explain later. Leathery alcohol (taste not burn) is the first thing that comes to mind when I drink this. Then I get the oakiness followed by some earthiness and it starts reminding me of a traditional scotch with less of a burn. My next thought is that they threw the batch of barley wine into an old dusty scotch barrel. Some charcoal notes linger in the flavor which is quickly offset by the sweet finish. This is not what I was expecting when I poured this drink.

M: Smooth medium bodied ale with a very light carbonation. I feel it could use more body for the style.

Okay. So when I originally wrote the tasting notes on this beer, I didn't remember why I purchased it. It had been in my cellar for a while and it didn't have the style labeled anywhere. So when I went to review it, I quickly looked up the style on beer advocate and started judging it based on that it was an everyday barley wine. Boy was I in for a surprise. As soon as I tasted it... ya, nothing like a standard barely wine or at least the characteristics generally associated with the style. This beer had some extreme funkiness to it. So initially I gave it a bad score... and then I read the bottle to see if Brew Dog and 3 Floyds could explain themselves, and they did. The side of the bottle basically states that they were attempting to brew a beer with the traditional scotch characteristics of peaty caramel. This, my friend, they succeeded in ten fold. But be aware that this is what you are in for if you buy this beer. Its good but personally, I'd prefer a single malt scotch instead.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a dirty dark brown hue with a creamy two finger head and clingy lacing everywhere,the smell is peated malt,dettol,caramel and lots of booze,the mouthfeel is full bodied with minimal carbonation and has tastes of peated malts,caramel candy,booze,figs,a touch of whiskey and finished with a boozy dry heat and overall i like it and reminds me alot of Xerex cheers.

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Nice fig, raisin, and plum notes on the nose. Smells fresh, and surprisingly hoppy. Not too bad overall.

Appearance was muddy brown with a very light tan head. Not very aesthetically pleasing, however, I poured the yeast by accident. It looked a lot better before the yeast shot, so I'm giving it a moderate score.

Booze, front and center. Followed by a charred woody taste, as if I am gnawing on a piece of burnt wood. Its incredibly hard to taste anything else in this beer. Its really like a boozy campfire in my mouth. Carbonation isn't bad - nice and moderate, and it has a full body mouthfeel to it. I wouldn't seek this one out again, unfortunately.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »