Libertine Black Ale - BrewDog

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

American Black Ale |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: flyingpig on 08-18-2012

Lose yourself in this voluptuous beast of a beer. A twenty-first century hop overdose. This mother will seduce you, ravish you and you’ll be back gagging for more. Adore it. Lust for it. Fall for it. Libertine Black Ale is a dark hop bomb combining the hop awesomeness of an IPA, the decadent and indulgent malt flavours of a stout with an insatiable drinkability that belies the punch that this beer packs. A Dark Knight amongst pale knaves. Taste the hops, live the dream. Learn to speak beer, love fruit and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, dreamers and warriors… the outlaw elite. Ride toward anarchy and caramel craziness. Let the sharp bitter finish rip you straight to the tits. Swallow hard – this beer bites.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 324 | Reviews: 59
2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

2.53/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Although I generally love BrewDog, this is not really my favourite beer from these guys.
Pours with a nice almost completely balck color and a medium beige head.
There is a strong aroma of roasted malts, coffee and an addition of some hard liquer aroma.
The taste is very bitter, with lots of roasty feel, coffee, and a slightly chocolatey finish (the best feature).
A very strong beer, with a bit too much bitterness in the taste for me.

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%

I really tried to like this, but it just wouldn't happen. Too bad too, as I have liked many brews from BrewDog. Just had some off-putting flavor to me. Maybe an old bottle? Oh well, going to try their Cocoa Psycho next.

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

On tap at Cork and Cask, Cornelius NC.

I get what this is supposed to be, but the hops have faded (assuming they were ever there/being fair to the brewery), some of the extreme bitterness remains but the nose and taste are quite medicinal, old licorice comes to mind - though I doubt I've ever had any. I'll give it another shot - and as low as this review is, realize I could go much lower. I lean towards the overall good reviews and assume something is wrong here.

3.2/5  rDev -19.2%

3.22/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A: spotty surface film, opaque, black; scattered jagged lacing
S: musty, woody, espresso
T: bitter, seriously hopped, espresso
M: on the side of light-bodied, but with a coating, thinly syrupy texture
O: Decent, not memorable. Mouthfeel is the winner, but the dark, musty nose was somewhat off-putting.

Pilsner Glass / Victoria Gastro Pub, Columbia, MD

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Leave it to BrewDog to confuse the dedicated dark beer drinker. Here's a beer built like a stout . . . actually more like a Porter. Served from a bottle into a mini iced Lager pint glass (not really pint size) in Chinatown Singapore on a dark and stormy night.

Appearance. It's dark brown, not quite black, but you can just barely see the light at the end of the tunnel on this one. Decent foam that didn't last long. It never does here, I'm convinced its something in the air. Minor lacing.

Aroma: Hops. It smells like an IPA to me. A bit fruity, but primarily there are hops doing their best to not be discovered on the nose. Unfortunately, their position has been compromised and I know what's coming when it's time to take a drink.

Taste: Grapefruit. The fruity smell coalesced into something very specific. The beer tastes like a breakfast grapefruit, freshly cut, with some brown sugar layered on top. I imagine this latter taste is a roasted sweet malt flavor defining itself. Once completed, the hops step up and take over reminding you that this is a hop bomb of IPA type stature. Finishes dry.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation and a light body force you to reassess the stout, strong ale Belgian creamy character that you were expecting. It's porter light and therefore an easy drinker.

Overall: the confusing flavors detract me from enjoying it fully. I like the complexity and feel as if I had a gastronomic, "foam of carrot" experience; however I could get this easily from a solid Belgian beer and would prefer to do so. I'm glad I tried it, I would recommend it, but I doubt I would immediately jump to drink it again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Libertine Black Ale from BrewDog