Cocoa Psycho - BrewDog

Cocoa PsychoCocoa Psycho

BrewDog visit their website
United Kingdom (Scotland)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Welcome to the world of Cocoa Psycho, a liquid dimension where pure indulgence reigns.

Originally brewed some 250 years ago to celebrate the Russian Royal Family, this 10% Imperial Russian stout borrows from the decadence of the time with its extravagantly smooth blend of crushed coffee beans, cocoa nibs and dark malts.

But continue to dig a little deeper, past the infusions of vanilla pods and toasted oak chips, and eventually you'll come face-to-face with the madness required to make this beer; a kind of insanity that would have made Rasputin himself proud.

To fully unleash the aromas and bittersweet luxury of this stout, we recommend drinking it from a stemmed beer glass before taking a sledgehammer to a Faberge Egg.

(Beer added by: dgilks on 03-14-2013)

Andrew-beer1981, Sep 11, 2014
1.55/5  rDev -60.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1

Best before 2018 and $13 for a 12oz bottle, so it better be damn good!

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 22oz snifter.

Appearance 4.75/5: Obnoxiously well-developed color. Extremely dark abyss, was darker than my black shirt, as my friend pointed out. The head was an intensely dark luxurious color of tan-brown, definitely was appeasing to the eyes.

Smell 1.25/5: I just wish the nose followed the look. I smelled next to nothing. It smelled like a cheap Russian Imperial Stout, not even close to as good as Old Rasputin. Smelled kind of like tar or rubber, to be quite honest. There were a few deep dark beer notes in the nose, but overall I was not pleased. There was no chocolate, vanilla, or coffee notes in the nose, all in all a boring beer to sniff at.

Taste 1.25/5: Sadly, this beer's flavor follows the nose. I got no chocolate, coffee, or vanilla once again. It didn't even taste like an okay Russian Imperial Stout. It tasted very cheap and like it was trying but had failed to succeed. Tokyo* was a better representation of a strong dark beer from BrewDog.

Mouthfeel 3/5: The only other thing going for this beer other than its looks was the feel. It felt pretty-full-bodied, but unfortunately, that cannot make up for the above two sections.

Overall 1/5: For a beer to truly succeed, it really needs more than just looks and feel. It needs a personality, in the sense of taste and smell. Looks and mouthfeel cannot save something that you are supposed to also enjoy by smelling it and actually drinking it. It should taste good, right? I am quite sad to give this beer such a negative review, but frankly, for spending $13, my expectations were up in the clouds. You do not charge that much for a beer unless it is up there with the greats. If no chocolate, vanilla, or coffee is discernible on the palate or the nose, then it is simply a failure and thus my score of 1/5 overall. If this beer was $5 or less, I'd be more inclined to give it a higher score, like a 2/5, but unless someone hands me this beer free-of-charge, I will not be returning, sad to say.

Deltrus, Dec 30, 2013
1.86/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Sampled at the Great International Beer Fest sponsored by Elite Brands.

Pours a dark ruby red, very dark. Looks thick and rich, not much of a head, if you can call it that.

Oof. Aroma is booze and nail polish remover. Hot, burn....not a hint of anything RIS

Flavor is just a mess. The booze kills everything. Cocoa is burnt and barely alive. Malt is putrid.

Not even a sipper beer. Too hot, too messy

Mebuzzard, Jun 01, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

crosenkrantz, Jul 09, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

Served in a half pint stemmed glass at BrewDog pub in Edinburgh.
Like sipping cocoa powder and cold espresso.
So strong and bitter yet also a little sweet.
Not sticky at all though.
Very dry in the mouth.
I feel the half-pint I got was too much, this could be something I could drink like a schnapps or a whiskey. Fairly hard to enjoy through the extreme bitterness.

vauxhaulastra, Aug 23, 2014
2.64/5  rDev -33%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

With a name like that, I just had to get it.
Pours with an extremelly deep black color and a very small chocolate colored head.
The aroma is quite strong - there is roasted smell and coffee as well. I was missing some chocolate aroma perhaps.
The taste was a kick in the head. A very strong and extra bitter roasted and coffee taste.
Personally, a bit too strong, and too much coffee (not a fan of it) and not enough (or at all) chocolate. Just a hint of it in the aftertaste, maybe.
Definitely not a bad beer, but it just doesn't suit my style. It would be much better with more chocolatey taste.

MarkoNm, Jan 17, 2014

Thedrizzle, May 18, 2014

PoppaSquat, Jul 01, 2014
3.01/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Let me start by saying that I am not a huge stout fan. I am trying to delve more and more into these beers as I am wanting to start a mini cellar. I tried this in a bottle and had it served into a small tasting glass.

A- It is like dark motor oil. The way a stereo typical stout looks (IMO) Has a much darker head that most of the stouts that I have seen. Very little head compared to most beers and the head disappears after about 30 seconds.

S- It also has the stout-esce type of smell with a bit of a bittersweet chocolate small on the end.

T- This is the second stout I have had in a couple of days. I thought this one was much better than the other I tried (will review the other one after this).

M- This stout has a very smooth, thick viscosity to it (like watered down maple syrup).

O- I think this stout tastes much better than the Wells and Young stout I had earlier. I hope DL, BCBS or the proprietor is better than this one.

Cheers!

FilumDee, Feb 10, 2014

Fabiand, Apr 03, 2014

MattXT, May 09, 2014
3.36/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I was hoping to taste more of the coffee and vanilla notes, but I didn't get much of that. I definitely detected chocolate, raisin, and molasses. Not that those flavors are bad, but they just remind me too much of Raisinette candy. Despite the Raisinette flavor, the beer wasn't too sweet, which I've noticed before in other Russian Imperial Stouts. There was also a bit of dryness to the beer too, which I enjoyed.

iheartmyTHO, Apr 30, 2014
3.39/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle from Good Spirits Co, Glasgow (£4.50):
Black with a very dark looking brown head that is creamy and about half a centimetre tall before it fades to a patchy lacing about thirty to forty-five seconds later.

Strong and dark roasted malts with a lot of coffee coming through as well in the initial stages. There is a tonne of sugar and sweet malts coming through with a hint of vanilla and spice plus some darker fruits. The fruits include some plum and fig along with some raisin and there is a hint of oak right at the end.

Rich tasting and with a fair amount of alcohol coming through, even at the start with this one. There is a lot of dark chocolate and sugar with some roasted malts and spice. Spicy and with a lot of dark fruits, particularly some dates and figs coming through.

Smooth with a creamy feel and a medium body. Carbonation seems low with this beer but the texture is a rich and complex one that also packs a punch due to the huge alcohol content of the drink.

A mixed bag really in that it started pretty well and the smell was incredibly complex but very enjoyable although after that things started to slide a little. The taste wasn't a bad one per say but it was a touch strong for my liking and touches alcohol were a little to noticeable although it is an Imperial stout I guess.

flyingpig, Sep 09, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

11.2oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 10.99. Best by 11/20/18, assuming brewed 11/20/13. Served in my Phish snifter.

Pours oil black with an eighth finger deep mocha head. The froth disappears quickly without lacing.

Smells a bit muted but there's definately coffee and cocoa with a little roasty sweetness.

Bitter dark black coffee and dark chocolate remain in the forefront throughout. Burnt caramel/sugar, char/smoke, molasses, earth, faint vanilla and booze. More bitter than sweet, it's a shame the vanilla isn't more prominent because it might have served to balance the hefty bitterness.

Feel is fairly substancial yet somehow still comes accross to me as too thin. Very faint carbonation. Bitter dark cocoa and burnt coffee finish.

I really wanted to like this more. Instead, I find it all around lackluster and while it won't affect my score- entirely over priced. In the end Cocoa Psycho is a decent imperial stout with unfortunately only my least favored aspects of coffee and chocolate.

ThickNStout, Feb 01, 2014