Zinnebir - Brasserie de la Senne

ZinnebirZinnebir

Brasserie de la Senne visit their website

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: paterlodie on 11-24-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 90
3.69/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a hazy orangey yellow hue with a small, off white head.

S- Lemon, wheat, pepper.

T- Grassy, hints of pepper, wheat, lingering bitterness.

M- Medium bodied and silky with high carbonation.

D- Decently drinkable. There's something on the back end of the flavor that's really throwing me off that I can't put my finger on.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%

The cork was soaked and it took every once of my MacGyver skills to get the cork out.

Pours lightly hazy, gold in hue; thick, yet sort of fizzy white head, at the apex the foam was some three fingers tall. Head retention was respectable, in time the bubbles faded to a smallish, clumpy cap that lasted the entire consumption. Lacing started before I took a sip, it was widespread subsequently. I got to say this beer, thus far, is playing the part of a Belgian Blonde Ale quite well.

The nose is fairly hoppy (in the Belgian-style sense); there is a wonderful undercurrent of lemon zest that I have never smelled in any other beer. The lemon aroma is sort of sweet like candy but sort of like cleaning solution (in a good way!). I found light spiciness throughout. Cracker maltiness provides the base for the other soft aromas to jump off from. The nose is simple but elegant. Even though it doesn’t say much or speak loudly I am invited to take a sip, err, drink.

The palate is hoppy with lingering earthy bitterness. At first the lemon flavor isn’t as agreeable as the nose but after a couple more sips I am onboard. Impressively dry, the cracker maltiness allows the hops and yeast (?) spiciness to shine. For a Belgian Blonde the yeast strain seems awfully clean. Some peppery or clovey flavors would add something but maybe the point is to be different. I can’t say this beer is awesome, it is not… to me it is just a tad boring. But, still, I like it. The earthy, bitter aftertaste is wonderful. I bet this beer would rock with plenty varieties of cheese! Aperitif beer?

Around medium in body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is relaxing and this aids in drinkability.

Speaking of… this is a very easy to drink beer, it is an enjoyable quaff. It is nuanced but simple on the surface. I could see many beer drinkers not “getting” this beer. Hell, I am not sure I totally get it. I question if I am worthy of fully appreciating it. Is my palate to American? Maybe I am biased against it (for it?) because of the constant Shelton Brothers blather about sweet Belgian ales. Is this a beer I’d return to in the future? Maybe. Is this a beer I want to carry at Beertopia? I’m not sure. The seed has been planted… thank you Matt for the sample.

3.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a golden color ale with a big foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aromas of dry hops are dominating with a bready yeast presence. Taste is also a very nice mix between some dry Noble hops with a nice Belgian malt profile and somewhat bready yeast. Full body with good carbonation and no alcohol. Very well done and easily drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap in Brussels...A dark gold with a huge fluffy white head, god retention, lacing is excellent...A light aroma of yeast and tons of lemons...Taste is lightly sweet, almost boring, but finish is strong, bitter hops show off nicely. Slightly boring to start but then some good flavor. An above average pale.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%

Had on-tap at Teresa's Next Door in Wayne, PA. Poured a clear yellow color with a moderate white head that retained well and left very nice lacing. Had an aroma of earthy/floral hops, yeast and spices. Tasted of dark fruits, yeast, spices and earthy hops. Definitely more bitter than the XMas variety of this brew.

On the lighter side of medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, a tasty brew that is a nice representation of the style.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Zinnebir from Brasserie de la Senne