Tallgrass Oasis - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 11-12-2009

Oasis is a Double ESB/IPAish beer that came about from playing around with one of Jeff’s favorite homebrew recipes. Here at Tallgrass we love malt and we love hops, and this beer has both of them in record quantities; well, at least records for our baby brewery.

At a hefty 7.2% ABV and 93 IBU, Oasis is a big beer that has to be priced a bit higher than our regular line of beers. We think that once you taste the over-the-top hops and surprisingly sturdy malt backbone you will realize why it’s worth it.

Definitely not a fruit-extract seasonal shandy, this beer is meant to be enjoyed on the back porch, the front porch, or even on the stoop. What's a stoop? Well, it's a good place to drink beer, is what it is.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tallgrass Oasis Alström Bros
Ratings: 505 | Reviews: 203
4.66/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pours a cloudy dark copper, orange. 4 finger khaki head dies down to a solid 1 finger head in a couple minutes. Nice lacing. Overall, excellent.

S: Sharp hops first thing noticed, some grassy herbalness, light bread crust malts. Quite good.

T: Prickly bitterness from the hops, pleasantly bitter, malt heavy with sort of "cantaloupe melon" background. Finishes clean with hop bitterness lasting. Very nice!

M: Again slightly prickly hop sensation, medium heaviness on the tongue, moderately carbonated, slightly oily. Near perfect for the style. Very well balanced, not as flat and oily as some others in the style.

O: I reside in Junction City, not far from this brewery and that is why I decided to give this a try. I'm glad I did. I always enjoyed ESP/IPA style beers on occasion, but I can't remember having one this balanced and flavorful. I will be picking some more of this up for sure!

4.64/5  rDev +20.2%

This is my favorite overall Pale out right now. To call it an Imperial is a stretch. It isn't quite as big as it tastes, but it is a pretty big beer at 7.2; and it's best quality is its inability to be defined. It's just out of balance enough to appeal to my hop-freak side. But it's sweet, bubbly and smooth which appeals to my more monkish tendencies. And it's not from Lawrence. So that's good.

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from can to an oversized snifter. Pours a hazy and very dark burnt orange/copper color. Every bit of a two finger head with some gorgeous lacing as you drink it. The scent is of piney hops, sweet malts and a hint of caramel. The taste is an explosion of hops at first and it gradually mellows into a sweet caramel finish with some citrus noticeable. The mouthfeel matched up well with the flavor. It has a fairly full feel and is also quite drinkable. I bought this beer based on a recommendation from my local craft beer store owner and was kind've apprehensive over it. Turned out to be a great purchase and one that I'll make over and over again.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

This beer pours a bright, vibrant red-orange color. The head is one and a half inches in height, and recedes slowly into chunky lacing that sticks around until the beer is gone. The aroma is of fresh grapefruit and flowers. It is a strong aroma. The taste is of flower bed, herbs, and a hint of grapefruit. It is flavorful without being bold, and I like that. The mouthfeel is slightly lighter than medium bodied witha silky texturem, and moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a really, really good beer. It reminds me a lot of Surly's Bitter Brewer. I can see this beer quickly becoming a session favorite of mine.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Loved that my girl picked this up when she did...

16 oz. ---> Young's Pint Glass

A ~ Poured a semi-cloudy, sunset-orange body, with
a perfect 3" head w/ golden-yellow highlights

S ~ Flowers, Bitter Hops, Sweet Tea Lemonade

T ~ Nice Malty flavors with Honey, Wheatberry bread, Citrus and Dry Peppery Bitter Hops. Blueberries and Tangerine on the finish. Grapefruit and and Tree Sap as it warms. This beer evolves.

M ~ Nice Complexity yet perfect carbonation. Lingers dry, just
how i like it.

D ~ My Favorite Tallgrass pint. Could drink this ForEvEr

Cheerz.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Caramel colored body. Dense cap of beige head. Lacing is full. Great aroma of English toffee like malt and wafts of grassy, citirc hops. Flavor is great. Definitely and English based DIPA. Toffeeish malt flavors with grassy, resinous, smoky hop accents. Bitterness is quite noticeable, but not crass. Very well balanced. Everything about this beer is very good.

4.48/5  rDev +16.1%

Consumed 11/17/10. This is the last beer of a 4 pack that I have enjoyed very much. Got this in a trade from ILikeBrew, thanks so much Micah!

No freshness date on the 16oz can, poured into an Alchemist Brewery pint glass

A: Pours a crystal clear deep orange with a finger and a half of fluffy, rocky off white head. Some decent lacing is left as the beer is consumed.

S: Grassy, earthy hops, a tiny hit of citrus. This is probably the first sign that this isn't a true DIPA. A little nuttiness pops up from the malt.

T: I can see how the brewery would describe this as a "Double ESB." Hop flavor and bitterness is immediately present, along with a strong malt backbone. Some fruitiness is there, but I don't know if that's trademark ESB style, or merely citrus from the hops. It's pretty balanced, and as a biased East Coast drinker, I really enjoy a balanced IPA-esque beer.

F: It's smooth and creamy. I can tell it's really well malted, as the bitterness and hop flavors remain present but don't bite the palate. Carbonation is pretty well done too for this beer.

D: I think it's personally exceptional. I could drink this can down on a hot day, or enjoy it on a cool autumn evening. As part of a $4$ trade, this 4 pack of 16oz beers was very fair, maybe in the $6-8 range. I would certainly buy more of this if it was available to me.

Regardless of whether it's a DIPA or a DESB, I enjoy what Oasis has done with this beer and I'm glad it's canned. Deserves higher than the B+ overall average it has at the time of this review.

4.46/5  rDev +15.5%

Love the can art. Brewery classifies this as a Doulble IPA with an ESBs malt profile. I can hang with that. Nice, one two hop punch of pine and citrus zest in the aroma. Initial bready malt followed by an impressive dose of citus and pine on the tongue. The finish is bitter caramel. Nice hoppy beer that manages to deliver interesting malts without being overly sweet.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I think this is my first review here, and not without reason.

Al's review of this beer totally weirded me out. I think he and I share the same overall view of it, but I was totally taken aback when I read his comments.

I don't feel like the comparison to Surly Furious is wholly apt. Rather, it strikes me as decidedly similar to another Surly brew.

My first thought when I popped open the can for this one was "Wow, this is like a strong Bitter Brewer".

I stand by that. The flavor profile seems nearly identical to me. The citrusy hops are matched nicely by a biscuity malt flavor. Taste-wise, it's a decidedly drinkable brew.

To me, the big difference is the alcohol. The Oasis boasts a 7.2. The Bitter Brewer is somewhere in the 4 range.

Aside from that, I don't notice a major difference. In terms of taste, I would have no trouble putting away a handful of either brew. The big difference is that the handful of Oasis would hit me a bit harder than the Bitter Brewer would.

In short, this is a really tasty brew that I'd put on par with one of my favorites. I'd probably say it's my most exciting beer discovery so far this year.

4.44/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow!! This one was a very pleasant surprise, after having Ethos, my expectations were that this one would be inferior, but in my opinion, that was NOT the case. One thing, I prefer piney IPAs vs grapefruity ones, which makes me biast in favor of this one.

As mentioned above, this has a piney hops flavor to this one, a lot like Sierra Nevada's Torpedo, which I adore. I'm not experienced with the ESB part, so I can't say much there, but overall, this beer absolutely hits the spot, and I will be a regular customer year round.

4.41/5  rDev +14.2%

From a 16 oz. can. "Bold Beer" written along the top. On the side, "Aggressively Hopped." "Mightily Malted." below and finally, "Pour a Pint."

This is a surprisingly dark brew, nearly a light brown with a burnt orange tint all through it. Either it's the thickness and depth of it, or there's a bit of a haze. Looking carefully, I'm inclined to say both. The orange-tinted head is big, fat and frothy, almost massive in thickness and height. It forms a supremely dense crown of pillowy cream that never gives itself up. This head is a beast, and one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. Lacing is no less impressive: thick, clumpy and plentiously delivered all the way down the glass. Absolutely beautiful in every way.
There's a good mix of hops and malts on the nose. A bit of spiciness and a light toffee-like sweetness mingle with a very floral hops aroma. It's not weak, but when I taste this, I'm surprised the aroma wasn't stronger.
The flavor, though, is powerful stuff, as a bouquet of hops explodes on the tongue. It's mostly floral with complements of herbal, citrus zest, and lightly spicy flavors. These are further complemented by a strong malts addition that adds a chewy biscuit quality and flavor that lets the hops shine without lacking balance. A light grassy flavor sits under it all. There's a long lingering, very particular bitterness that makes me think this is more along the lines of an English style, though it's certainly a double. Is this a merger of sorts? It certainly works excellently.
The mouthfeel is likewise delightful. A medium body lacks no depth, and the smooth creaminess over just a mildly chalky dryness (again, English?) is just another great surprise this beer offers. Lots of floral bitterness lingers for quite a while after each swallow.
I am so glad this showed up in my market. Sign me up for more from these guys.

Edit: I decided to look through reviews after I posted mine. I try not to look at any notes before reviewing and so missed the classification as a "Double ESB." To be honest, I hardly think it could have been done better and this explains completely all the ESB characteristics of this beer, yet it could be a standout DIPA as well. This is really brilliantly crafted beer, and I think any poor grades have to be bad cans/samples or from real sticklers for style. Maybe this beer is reason to create a new style, but of course that doesn't make sense unless plenty more attempt such a thing. Regardless, this is just fantastic stuff.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tallgrass Oasis Ale
code: 11 292

Appearance: A hazy, light russet brown body rests gently beneath a massive head of light tan froth. When held to the light the highlights are mainly orange, with some deep gold coming through as well. The head retention is excellent and the lacing is impressive.

Aroma: Malty and hoppy. Caramelish and bready malts notes are clear. It's somewhat toasty; nicely grainy. On the hops side it's leafy, grassy and floral. A minor bit of soft, yeasty fruitiness is present as well. Very "English" in character.

Taste: Rich. This is quite a beer! It's very malty, and also very hoppy. Everything that's found in the aroma follows through, and it's very much like an amped-up "premium" bitter. The malt is bready and caramelish and toasty; the yeasty fruitiness displays soft, sweet berry-like and apple-ish flavors; and the hops are minty, leafy, grassy and floral. It's supported and balanced by a bold bitterness (somewhere around 90 IBU's!), and it finishes dry with lingering notes of toasty (almost burnt-edged) sugary bread and grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full, dextrinous body. Gently crisp carbonation that softens as it warms. Smooth.

Overall: The upper edge of the can reads "BOLD BEER" and it certainly is. Yet at the same time, it's kept in-check and remains very focused and balanced. Quite nice!!! And if there's any flaw here, it's the lack of tight filtration. I personally don't mind that, and I enjoy the look of a hazy/cloudy beer, but some people find it off-putting. It had great head retention and lacing however, so I went ahead and scored it a 4.5 (although it might actually be more like a 4.25). Well worth seeking out.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from the can into a nonic pint glass. No dating seems to be present.

A very light caramel off tan colored head with a big cap. Large fisting sized head off the pour, lies upon a body of opaque probably unfiltered red amber and brown hued body. As drinking continues the head just clumps in great fashion. Very impressive.

Bouquet is CHOCOLATELY rich. Nose fills with silky milk chocolate sensations. Where is that coming from? Strangely also powdery and dry, how is that possible? Impressive. One dimensional, nothing else, but quite good.

A good hop front angle on this, mixes with a rich malt powdered chocolate backbone. Bitter hop goes for a simple non descript taste profile, as chocolate powder drink mix fills the palate. Not heavily carbonated, just perfectly fine as it is.

Overall a VERY unique and real nice tasting beer. I am not sure what this is cause it sure doesn't feel like a typical Imperial IPA but does have a good hop character, but this really feels like an English Strong Ale. One for Kansas!

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Please, please rescue me from the infected beer hell that I seem to have slipped into. Picked up sample cans of Tallgrass recently after having enjoyed a pint of Oasis at a local watering hole. Have been looking forward to sitting down with a can & a thoughtful look on my face.

Pours from the stylin' can a pretty, burnished form of dark red that seems to shine from an internal source. That's a nice trick. Smells good too, with the grainy/grassiness leaning hard in the direction of an ESB, with the gentle hops a distinct second.

Oasis warms the cockles of my heart, especially after clearning my abused palate with pretzels. Tastes of fine, bakery-quality rye bread sprinkled with herbs & dipped in hop sauce. The hops lend a wry, flowery bitterness that serves to make this quite a mouthfull of peppery, distinct goodness. Biscuity, full, just a tad serious, there's not only a lot going on, but it's delicious, too. 16 ounces was a good decision.

Excellent! I had to adjust my expectations thinking IIPA, but this is just plain old good brewing. Looking forward to trying more Tallgrass, especially if this is the mold they plan on using.

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%

First off, this beer is definitely not a DIPA, as listed here on BA, and the brewery's label of "double ESB" is just off-base since this clearly has several generous additions of American hops. It's closer to an American IPA than anything else but it has a malt profile that is slightly stepped up. Maybe even American Strong Ale would do the trick. Anyway, my point is this shouldn't be reviewed to style since it doesn't fit into one.

On to the review. Pours a dark amber with an off-white head that leaves a nice ring and some clinging lace behind.

Aroma is raw pine oil with some grapefruit rind adding depth. Malt isn't sneaking through yet.

Again, a big hit of pine to the palate with plenty of coarse floral notes and bitter citrus. 93 IBUS? I would have guess more like 75, which is either a tribute to the smoothness of the bitterness or the firmness of the malt. Either way, it still provides plenty of bitterness. Malt is big time toasty with a solid dose of caramel bordering on toffee. I won't say it balances the hops evenly, but it does put up a fight. Really big and flavorful all around.

Don't get stuck in the trap of always trying to peg a beer to a specific style category. This is an example of a really good beer that merges several styles. It's bitter, full of hop flavor, and packs a punch of malt and even some alcohol.

A final note: this is clearly an extremely fresh can. I can imagine that with age the hops fade and maybe this is closer to an amped up ESB. But I like this damn hoppy and fresh example just fine! Cool artwork on the can too.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pretty attractive reddish orange body with lots of active carbonation. The head is 2.5 fingers and leaving a lot of lace. It's pretty white and has bubbles of all sorts with a pretty large bubble top. Only thing is it's pretty hazy.

S: An interesting blend of english and american hops. It's floral, but very citrusy (orange?) as well. It's not overwhelming, but you know that its near by. I get a slightly toasted malt aroma that serves to make it more interesting, not to be dominant in any way.

T: Hops still dominate, but there is still that slightly grainy, slightly toasted/roasted taste in there from the aroma. It's not really bitter, but refreshing for sure. I'm getting something a little off from maybe the yeast or the water? But its not a bad (at least not terrible) offness, more character than anything else.

M: Light, but not thin. Crisp. Perfect carbonation.

D: I really like this beer. Definitely something I could put back a few of and something I will have to take with me upon moving to Iowa. I see some people are saying this is a little big for an ESB, and while it is a little, I don't think it's too far off style and is just trending with everyone else.

Reviewed from notes.

Another tall can from Tallgrass. Dark clouded amber in color with a good two fingers of soapy head that doesn't stick around for long, but at least the lacing left behind is pretty to look at. Just about every category of hopping scent (including an amazing initial burst of my favorite, tropical fruit) is present all at once in the nose, somehow maintaining balance with each other and with a strong backbone of malt scent. The taste is much of the same story, the main difference being that the flavor also includes significant aspects of pine resins and the malt has somewhat of a 'salted savory peanut brittle' nutty feel to it that I really enjoy. As it warms up towards the ambient room temp, it takes on a slight vegetal nuance that is the first time (aside from chile beers of course) I have ever tasted in a brew that a vegetal flavor was appropriately balanced against all the other flavor components in the beer. Texture is on the thicker side of medium, carbonation is aggressive enough to keep it from being sluggish..

This is a really well done and very complex Big Beer, I highly recommend giving it a shot.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

As noted in the description, this beer really fell in between the two styles of imperial IPA and ESB. I find that to be great. A beer that doesn't necessarily have a definitive style, but still has direction, and that is accomplished with Oasis. The malts are nicely pronounced but balanced, a warm and slightly toasted dark rye-ish palate with a tad of buttery sweetness and well-rounded fruitiness, so much so that I can't pinpoint a type of fruit. Grapefruit? Nah. Apple or apricot? Not at all. Papaya? Possibly. Whatever the fruitiness is it leans more towards tropical, but once again this is a balanced beer, nothing to be off-putting.

I saw a lot of reviews described the hoppiness as "grassy," and I too thought this myself upon tasting it. But I had to ask myself if this was a manifestation of my subconscious and the name of the brewery being "Tallgrass." Who knows? It was great though and had a distinctly pronounced bitterness (but not overpowering or even dominant). Sharp astringent alcohol finish.

The mouthfeel is well carbonated, medium bodied, a tad bit creamy while refreshing.

Great beer. I want more.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A-Deep golden brown color. Impermeable. The head is off white and thick and retains well, leaving small patches of lacing on the side of the glass.

S-Bready, dry grains, slight lemony-citrus burn, hops are present. The malty sweetness and bread are what strikes the nose at first, but it transitions quickly into what a DIPA should be: hoppy, citrusy, and a bit astringent.

T-There's a caramel sweetness at the front of the palate that fades quickly. Absolutely delicious. After that bit of sweetness fades, then comes the dry bready/grain aspect which precedes a well balanced symphony of lemongrass, sage, hops, basil, and a slightly tannic finish. Bready malt lingers on the palate.

MF-Smooth with a medium body and medium to heavy carb. Finishes a bit dry. My least favorite aspect of the brew

O-Mother of god. This is damn good. I was shocked. Tallgrass struck a near perfect balance. I believe people aren't ranking that high because TG isn't a reputable brewery yet, but they make some damn fine beers. This is one of the most well balanced DIPA's I've had and tastes similar to Ruination.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Tallgrass Oasis Ale. Aggressively Hopped, Mightily Malted, Pour a Pint. (Hmm, the pint craft can, where'd that idea come from?)

Deep crimson coloring, a little soft on the sides, highly hazed, creamy beige-ish head.

Aroma: big twist of caramel malt, citrus notes, piney bitter hops...you know, it's weird, ...it reminds me of something. Grapefruit and lemon? No, something else...

Taste: BAM! Huge hops right off the bat, flooding the palate, washing over the mouth and swishing through the senses. Beautiful bitterness butts up against sweet malt. Intense flavors, but well balanced. Big all over, fat flavors, long, generously hoppy finish. Alcohol isn't over-the-top, but a bit big for the...wait, what's the style?

Oh, wait, I know...it's Surly Furious-style! Seriously, this is the first commercial brew I've had that tastes almost exactly like my hometown favorite. ( Although Brooklyn Center isn't my hometown, it's close enough.) I swear it's as if they were intentionally creating a Furious clone. (And that's fine with me. Some day Furious will be a style of it's own. At last it will win GABF medals.)

This is delicious stuff, and well done. If Surly can't go to Kansas, good for Tallgrass for bringing their own version to Manhattanites.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

My first beer review from my home state of Kansas!

Pours a nice amber color with an amazing one finger off white head. Excellent carbonation and lacing. Really nice for the style. Whoa... good nose! Caramel, hops, grass, yeast, floral, and bready notes evident here. Super balanced, and very attractive. Really nice taste, with the same profile as the nose. This is a very complex beer, and it really is put together well. Feel is medium, w/ sweetness/bitterness battling it out. Big malt backbone is definitely in there as well. I'm not really getting any of the 7.2% ABV at all. This is definitely a 'bold' brew- as the can says. I gotta say- I was surprised by this one- it's really complex, and every taste I'm picking something else up. Kudos to the Tallgrass Brewing Company- they should be proud of this beer- I'll definitely buy this one again. Go Jayhawks!!

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured into a Beer Stein

Appearance - Nice Cloudy Dark Orange/Brown color. I'm ptetty sure this may be my selection or glassware, but the head on is absolutely big and foamy, I got a 4-5 finger width and the lacing is excellent!

Smell - Floral/Citrus Hops, Yeasts, Caramel and malts. Pretty standard, but the smell itself is pretty vibrant for what it is.

Taste - The Piney hops followed by some subdued floral hops. It's incredibly malty as well even for an IPA and there are also some strong bread/yeasts, and sweet caramel notes in here too. I'll be honest, I was expecting more of a powerful hop kick, considering this is supposed to be an Imperial IPA

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with little carbonation. Fairly thick and almost borderlines on chewy. However, it feels creamy, which is unusual for an IPA, and it's pretty easy to drink

Overall - It's by no means an Imperial IPA despite it's classification but it's still a damn good IPA. If you want an Imperial IPA with a strong hoppy kick, go with Hop Stoopid. Aside from that, this is still a great IPA that I think everyone should try out

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Serving glass: Poured from can into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Cloudy, dark orange with foamy off-white head that lasts awhile and leaves light lacing.

Smell: Citrus and loads of caramel and toasted malts.

Taste: Very malty caramel backbone accented by toasted malts and a very light tea-like characteristic. Strong citrusy American hops combat the malts, with a piney, spicy and bitter finish. Overall, malty but very bitter.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, creamy and smooth medium to full body, dry finish.

Drinkability: Never had a Double ESB before. It is quite good, but primarily seems to be a malt-focused IPA. Almost a DIPA, but not quite. Overall, fairly impressive.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a deep amber with a massive head into a pint glass. The head slowly dissipates and reveals a hoppy aroma beneath.

A- hops, a bit of bready malt.

T- A nice balance between hops and malt, a bit like a 90 Minute, but a little less intense.

Overall- I've never heard of this company or this beer, but I enjoyed it, and I especially enjoy the fact that its in a can.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

16oz can into a pint. Freshness dating on the can was illegible, so when in doubt, drink it now! Many thanks to Gavin (gwguest) for this!

Fairly dark mahogany, nice tan fingers head, lots of sporadic lacing.

Smell is nice, fairly hop forward, but with a pretty solid malty sweet backbone.

The taste is very unique, a bit off for the style, but I'm amazed by it! There's some initial bitterness, mostly woodsy, and pine. Then there is a bit of sweet caramel malts, toffee and has a slight milk chocolate taste.

Feel is creamy and smooth, mild carbonation and more medium bodied.

This is a slightly unusual, but warmly welcome change of pace, and drinking multiples would be easy and enjoyable!

Tallgrass Oasis from Tallgrass Brewing Company