Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered WheatTallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: jaycount on 03-30-2011

We originally brewed Halcyon as our first summer seasonal, but since all the Halcyon fans (a.k.a: kiteheads) asked so nicely, we now brew this magical brew year around. Besides, who doesn't want a little taste of summer on a dark winter night?

We are proud of all our beers, but Halcyon is special. We are in “the wheat state” after all, so the pressure was on us to make a wheat beer, but we knew it had to be great. Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat is the result of that Midwestern angst, an all-American wheat with real Kansas-grown grain in the brew.

We start with raw Kansas white wheat in the mix to give it a nice edge, but what really makes it shine is the hops. We use “hop-bursting” late in the brewing process and this gives Halcyon its palate of tropical fruit flavors & aromas with a bright and refreshing taste like the best days of summer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat Alström Bros
4.79/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very nice wheat beer; but then it better be since it's from my home state, the Wheat Capital. Was visiting from Nevada,my new found home of 28 years and decided I should try some Kansas wheat beer...nice color, nice white pillowy head, nice aroma--but wow-very very tasty--a keeper.

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

12 oz can poured into a weissbier glass. Solid two fingers of dusty white head caps the surface. As the foam recedes, spots speckle the glass. Body color is a hazy golden orange. The glass is illuminated when held to the light, but I can't see through the glass.

Smell has a sweet banana and mango fruitiness. There is a fresh bread dough character, slightly yeasty. Taste has quite a lot of the banana esters, but it is not overpowering. There is a secondary lemon flavor that cleans up nicely. There is a faint peppery tingle that comes in at the very end.

Mouthfeel is a little heavier than most Pale Wheat Ales. This seems to fall some where in the middle between a Wheat Ale and a Hefeweizen. There is a mild creaminess in the texture, but is not filling like a lot of Hefeweizens can be. I'm liking this beer more and more.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

A- Pours a hazy, just-darker-than-straw color. Head is one and a half fingers and stays firm. Some lacing.
S- Smell is nice and refreshing. Lightly sweet malt, with a wheat spicyness and tropical fruit aroma as well.
T- Wow. This is probably my favorite tasting American Pale Wheat. It is wheaty with a light spicy note, and even though the aroma was leaning toward tropical, it really comes through as a bursting citrus flavor here. It is a really refreshing tangerine flavor, and the finish is a nice clean, wheaty flavor. Well balanced.
M- Relatively crisp, light bodied, but decent for style. Finish is semi-dry.
O- A tremendous wheat beer. Wonderfully delicious. There are some wheat beers that use a lot of hops, but then it loses it's wheaty presence. This one doesn't too that. There is a delightlfully wheaty and also hoppy. Well balanced. Highly recommend.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

A rich golden orange/yellow color with a thick cream cap.

I love the aroma on this so much. I don't know if it's the hops(s) they used or what, but it has this wonderful freshness about it. Hop notes are herbal, lemon, and bubble gum.

Taste is equally outstanding. Its so nicely balanced and a perfect texture. The wheat plays a light note flavor wise but adds a lovely softness. Otherwise the malts are just clean, smooth, and light, letting the perfect level of hops to cut through. It has a nice complex finish with a slight mineral bite coupled with lemon bitter hops and biscuit sweet malts. All this flavor yet it's so sessionable. It really doesn't come across as a wheat beer...more of a hop-forward ale with a touch of wheat.

I will be drinking this all spring and summer if it stays on the shelves. My first beer by Tallgrass and it really impressed me. Looking forward to trying more!

Update: Found out they use Citra hops, which I believe adds a lot of character to this beer. There's another hop also, but I will need to look that up as I can't recall off the top of my head. Got this info from an info card they gave out at the Kansas Sampler Festival.

4.43/5  rDev +15.4%

Just finishing my first six-pack of this stuff, so I figured it'd be a good time to write my first review. (I got another one before I could run out, so you know I like the stuff.)

A: Cloudy golden-brown with a finger and a half of white head. Usually leaves a lot of lace. In my first five cans, I noticed no visible yeast, but in this last one, I've got some sediment on the bottom. No complaints from me, though.

S: Smells a lot like bread dough with its yeasty character. Also has some hoppy citrus and bananas in the nose.

T: Dammit, I'm loving the taste of this beer. A little bit fruity (bananas and citrus) and a little bit hoppy, but not at all too much for a fledgling beer drinker like myself. Somewhat sweet. Reminds me of my mom's homemade bread with the yeast and wheat flavor. Might be the hometown bias, but this is just a great beer to me.

M: Smooth, a little creamy, but finishes clean. Really refreshing.

O: Wow, I'm only paying $6.56 for a six-pack of this stuff? Jesus, I'll pay that anyday. I'm gonna miss it in the fall.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from can into a standard tumbler.

Appearance: Very dense, strong unfiltered color. Banana yellow, for sure. Head was very decent dissipated in a short amount of time, but was overall decent: 1 to 2 inches approx.

Smell: Very sweet in it's aromatics. Conveyed the yellow citrus fruit qualities of the beer nicely, very pleasing.

Taste: Wonderful, fruit sweetness with a minimal hop presence, but a very pleasing body. Not overly bright, or thin in it's finish, sweet with citrus fruits from the beginning to end, unlike Boulevard's version.

Mouthfeel: medium to high carbonation. Drinkable, but not light, or velvety. Dense in it's presence.

Overall, a very, very underrated brew in my opinion. Puts many midwestern wheats to shame. The only comparable ones I can think of are the Free State Golden Wheat and the 312. If you enjoy the newer sweeter revamped American version of wheat beers, please, please do this beer justice and pick it up when you get a chance. Do not be deceived by it being canned.

4.41/5  rDev +14.8%

Oooo I liked this one. Bought at a liquor store somewhere on the Flint Hills Scenic byway, south of Manhattan, KS. Enjoyed at home in OKC.

Very good session beer. I had avoided this beer in the past (been disappointed too often by beers pitched as "light wheat beers") but I was wrong. This beer is damn good.

Pours a very pretty hazy gold liquid with a giant fluffy white head. (prettiest beer I've enjoyed in ages). Aroma is ok. Light citrus and wheat notes.

Flavor though is excellent. Very complex. Reminds me of a sweeter version of a Belgian white. Sweet but not too sweet. Fair amount of citrus. Crisper than a heffe. Some hops in the background, especially in the aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel.

Overall, one of the best beers I've had of this style. I highly recommend it.

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

Hazy Belgian wit reminiscent pale yellow body. Nice large frothy head dissipates rather quickly, but some nice lace retention.

Nice hop aroma. There's the lemony zesty smells from the wheat, but very light when compared to the sharper citrus and slight pine from the hops.

Taste is a nice refreshing lemon (not as in your face as most American wheats) that mellows nicely into a well done floral and citrus hop flavor. Good wheat malt balance the beer out nicely.

I am really impressed with this offering from Tallgrass. I would like to do a side by side tasting with gumballhead.. it'd be very close. All the flavors are very well balanced. An amazing beer for hot days. Lots of flavor and creamy body that's still light and refreshing.

4.37/5  rDev +13.8%

This is a fun little beer.

Appearance is a cloudy hay color - I did not notice any sediment.

The spicy, lemony nose was somewhat of a surprise - very enjoyable, but definitely not what I was expecting. A bit of spicyness came from the yeast as well.

The taste let on to the wheat presense a lot more than the nose. The lemony, tangy hops are very present as well, but are well balanced.

Not a ton of body with this beer, but definitely something I'd enjoy drinking a few of.

Overall, a very good beer, perhaps my favorite by Tallgrass. Will buy more of this.

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance : A pretty transparent blonde color with just the right amount of haze to add density and depth. Opacity is 20%. The head pours tall and fluffy, stands at an initial 3 fingers, and gradually fades to a 1 finger, leaving lots of lace in flecks and spots on the sides of the tumbler. There's really not much I'd change on the appearance, it's right up to spec for style. Maybe streaks or webbing in the lace would earn it a straight 5, but I'm not going to be too picky.

Smell : Piney hop and rich baked malts balance perfectly in the nose. Just when I think the hop wins out, the malt aroma comes in and proves me wrong. This is an incredibly fair, even-handed, equitable, balanced aroma. Based on the style I have to give it a 5. I couldn't improve the perfect balance of this nose.

Taste : Once again, a great marriage of balance. A little watery on the front, but that's satisfied quickly with a parallel of hop and malt. The hop is of the piney variety, and the malt is baked and golden. The finish is both slightly wheaty and just barely wins out at the sparkling end with orange peel. This beer is not particularly interesting or unique, but if I had to judge a wheat beer based on its merits of style and origins, this is a prime example.

Feel : Carbonated, medium to light bodied, Slightly malty/pasty on the finish, semi-dry.

Overall : A flagship example of how a Pale Wheat Ale should be. It's not the most unique, but it's insanely by the book and has all of the right balances in the right places, and makes no mistakes or overreaches.

Perfectly standard.

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Purchased a sixer of this at The Wine & Cheese Place in Clayton, MO.

A - Hazy, yellowish-orange with nice frothy eggshell head. Typical of an unfiltered wheat.

S - I got lots of wheat, along with some nice citrus notes - lemon, orange, some sweet maltiness.

T & M - Lots of citrus. Reminded me of a nice hefeweizen that would have a slice of lemon / orange in it. Not too sweet though. Some maltiness and decent carbonation. Noticed carbonation dissipated as it sat, along with some of the sweetness. Thick, yet refreshing.

O - One of my new favorite spring/summer session beers. Very refreshing. Everyone who I've let try this beer really enjoys it. Tallgrass is becoming one of my new favorite breweries!

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from the can into a weizen glass.

A - pours a cloudy yellowish orange. Very hazy - you can almost see through one side of the glass to the other, but not quite. Appears to well carbonated. Eggshell colored frothy head; almost sudsy looking. Not much in the way of lacing.

S - very grassy and herbal w/ strong citrus undertones. Definitely lemony. The yeast gives off a citrusy sharpness that's very nice and aromatic.

T - there is a nice biscuit flavor followed by the sparkling lemon citrus flavors. Sweet, and then tart, and then a nice little pop of sourness on the finish. Delicious. As the beer warms a bit, the hops become much more aggressive and balance the maltiness in a nice way. Very different than the hop/malt balance in an IPA or pale, but very delicious.

M - medium bodied, feels nice and frothy. Not too heavy, not too light. Plenty of flavor in this brew and the body backs that up.

O - overall, this is a very delicious, unique wheat beer. Love that it comes in a can. Tallgrass is one of the regional leaders when it comes to using cans (I believe that is all they use; no bottles) and I hope to see more breweries in the Midwest move in that direction.

4.31/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a pint can into a pint glass.
Cloudy, golden color. Significant head.
Smells of wheat and citrus.
Much more citrus than other wheat beers I've tried. Tastes very refreshing.
Wheat, citrus, and a bit of hops. Very balanced.
I like it. Would have again.

4.28/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been excited for this beer since I heard it was coming. I'm relieved it finally made it to town!

A - Golden and cloudy. A little bit darker than similar wheat beers in the category. Good clean white head. Decent lacing.

S - Hops! Citrusy, orange, grapefruit, lemon meshed with hops! I don't think most wheat beers have enough hops, this one does.

T - Some lemon and orange notes. Alot of hop flavors here. Just the right amount of wheat malt at the end. I love this beer because it doesn't taste like they took tons of fruit zest and piled it in for the lemon/orange flavors, it tastes like it comes from the natural flavors of the hops.

M - Light and carbonated, just like the style demands

This beer is awesome. Light and refreshing, perfect for a Summer seasonal. Very excited for more of this!

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on tap at Bier Station in Kansas City. Served in a traditional weizen glass.

Appearance - Pours a body of golden amber color with just a bit of brownish shadow from the unfiltered haze. Atop the body sits a fluffy three-finger stark white head. Retention is moderate, and it begins to dissipate slightly, shrinking down by about a half finger to reveal a healthy curtain of Lorraine Swiss lacing along the side of the glass.

Smell - Bright citrus and rustic grain come to the forefront, and you can tell this is an American wheat beer (rather than a traditional hefeweizen) by the absence of any kind of fruity ester characteristics. Instead, the aroma is crisp and herbal, with aromatics coming through from the hopping rather than the yeast profile. That said, there is a bit of pepperiness that I can only assume is a result of the yeast used.

Taste - This is a bit hoppier in flavor than I remember, but I've typically had this beer right out of the can at outdoor summer events, rather than served in a glass. It's a nice flavorful beer for the lake or a ballgame, but out of the glass, the hop characteristics shine even more, with a wonderful blend of grassy herbal notes and generic citrus zest that seems to lean towards lemon, but with notes of orange as well. There is a white pepper component that originally came through in the aroma, but is a little more obvious here. And rounding it out is a substantial grain base that gives the impression of rustic wheat bread, with just a slight sweetness as you might get from fresh bread.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and moderate carbonation, with a creamy, almost round feel on the palate, which I tend to associate with the style.

Overall, this is a criminally underrated beer in my opinion. I don't know if I would have said that before I enjoyed it out of a glass, which really seemed to kick off the aromas in a way that enhanced the flavor as well. Tallgrass really has the makings of a solid portfolio of beers, and this is one of their best.

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Very doughy. Cloudy golden color. Good la king.

S - Strong wheat aroma. Citrusy aroma.

T - Bready tastes controls and tastes awesome. Like bread in a can

M - pretty darn thick wheat, almost creamy.

O - Usually not a huge fan of wheats, but this wheat bomb is fantastic. Very drinkable beer for

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Hazy gold under a persistent lacy 3” off-white foam collar. S: wheat nose, not much spice T: Spicy wheat flavors, some spiced fruit but not the level of fruit and spice found in a Wit. F: Very creamy with medium low carbonation and body. O: a very respectable American pale Wheat Ale.

4.24/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Poured out a cloudy, golden orange color with a three-finger, off-white head of thick long-lasting, foam. It left sudsy sheets of lace.

S - This smelled amazing. Pine and citrus from the hops with a strong wheat aroma. There was a touch of yeasty notes, too.

T - It tasted of pine, grasses and wheat malt. Not as good as the aroma but still good.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A light to medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

O - This is a really good wheat beer. Aroma was fantastic and it tasted good, too.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

A-Pours a ton of frothy dense white foam that is there til the last drop. Murky golden tan color with white particulates.
S-Unusual in a wheat that the hops (NW US floral citra hops) burst through with delicious aromas inviting that first drink. There might be some wheat and yeast in there but hard to tell.
T-Hoppiest wheat I've ever had but I like it and I'm not normally a hop head-great thing about this beer is the hops do not leave a lingering resiny bitter aftertaste. I guess my only complaint is the fresh hop flavor dominates what might be delicious wheat and yeast.
M-Full bodied and smooth
D-Damn high, this is a solid great tasting beer.
O-This is not what I expected but a very drinkable great tasting smooth wheat-what else could you ask for, oh yeah I picked this up for $4 for a 6 pack. I better stock up on this one. Fantastic. My new favorite wheat.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

One indication of The CANQuest's (TM) notoriety, notoriousness (?) came during the recent SAVOR 2012 fest in DC where I was pouring for Green Flash and Tallgrass was one of the other three brewers in our quad. I remarked on the fact that I really dig their CANs and that I had a CAN of Halcyon at home awaiting review. Their brewer replied that he already knew who I was and that they are awaiting Halcyon's inclusion in The CANQuest (TM)! Well, without further ado ...

From the CAN: "Our thanks to Bill Mai, the wheat farmer from Wallace County, Kansas that grows our wheat!"; For the previous reviewer, the date stamp is actually not all that cryptic - it is the Julian Date, that is, the last two digits of the Calendar Year followed by a three digit code corresponding to the day out of 365 or 366. Mine read "12 161", marking it as the 161st day of CY 2012. Born on or expires by? Unknown. Onward!

What is it with me and Kansas CANs today?!? I wonder if the lovely Kansas, wife of Appalachian BC's head brewer, is aware of all of this. Her name was originally to be "CANdace", but it got bastardized to its current form. If I ever have a daughter, her name will be Penelope CANdace, or little Penny Candy as its diminutive. CAN we have a review, please?!?

The Crack revealed yet another brimful craft CAN! Beautiful. The Glug was flawless and I had a finger-and-a-half of fizzing, bone-white head that popped, gurgled and fizzed its way out of existence. Color was a fizzy, hazy golden-yellow and I raised a toast as a wussy to Greg Koch. Nose was really clean, with a peppery spiciness up front accompanied by a slight fruitiness and a light mintiness. I do not know what I was expecting, but that was not it! Mouthfeel was fairly full, thanks to all of the carbonation and the taste was subtle, less intense than on the nose, but with all of the characteristics noted earlier. The peppery bite really came through on the finish, making it very dry, indeed. This definitely belongs in my summer beach cooler and is worthy of your CANsideration, also.

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #54 (July 2011):

Nice crowning of white lace; dull, cloudy golden-beige hue. Smells of lemon tea, bread crust and nutty yeast. Deep smoothness leads to a lean crispness, which really opens this beer up. A wheat malt bomb in a way. Bready, yet semidry with a mild nuttiness in the middle. Modest showing of balancing hops. Lemongrass, earthy yeast, doughy biscuit and a very faint saltiness display some complexities. Finishes clean and grainy. Halcyon ends up being a nearly perfect snapshot of what an American Pale Wheat Ale should be, especially for a style that perhaps doesn’t get enough love. No bells or whistles, just a great wheat beer.

Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat Beer
12 oz. can, no apparent freshness dating but marked "13 056"

From the get-go you can tell that this is no standard wheat, you can smell the hops as you pour it. The appearance, however, is typical. It looks like a cross between a Belgian witbier and a Bavarian Hefeweizen, although the bright white head drops readily though, more like a wittier. Still, it leaves some nice lacing as it goes, even if only temporarily.

The aroma is hoppy. It smells more like a "beer" than a wheat beer, although there is a good deal of wheat present, and a bit of yeast. The hops are mainly citrusy, but also a bit grassy and perhaps spicy, although the spiciness might be from the yeast.

In the mouth it's light to light-medium in body, and fizzy-crisp.

The flavor displays the hops more fully than the aroma suggests, and there's some pine in there along with the citrusy notes. The wheat flavor remains solid, and the yeast adds a light touch of chalkiness and (seemingly) some light spiciness - in that sense it's more like a Belgian witbier than a Bavarian Hefeweizen. I'm quite sure they're using a Belgian strain; and, in fact, have intended a Belgian-style wit with a bit of citrusy American hops thrown in. And it works. It's still refreshing and balanced but the citrusy/piney hops give it an unexpected twist and an added component of complexity. Nicely done!

Purchased a 6pack of this at Highland package in Birmingham AL

Pours a cloudy light orange, little bit of head
Smells like the average wheatbeer but with a hint of sweet orange.
I get that same grapefruity sweetness right up front, never had that in a wheat. Quite liked it! None of the odd wet straw some other wheats have, I'm still confused as to weather I want to call it a wheat.
Very easy going and refreshing beer, this would easily replace Hoegaarden in my fridge during the summer, were it not that I live in MS, where this beer is unavailable.

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Pour - the color of a very hazy, sunny summer day. Leaning towards golden orange with some straw-colored highlights and a very nice looking, fluffy, white head on top. Looks cool and refreshing which is certainly something to look forward to on a day like this - temps pushing 95 right now.

Aroma - some citrus, lemons and oranges along with some cut grass and an earthy aroma perhaps from the wheat or the yeast. Nothing too overpowering as far as aroma goes which is how I like my session beers.

Taste - first sip really hits the spot. Lots of solid malt flavor, almost reminiscent of a brown ale in some ways, a bit toasty and biscuity. That quickly thins out and a citrusy, hop finish develops. This is not your average American Pale Wheat Ale - which has become the staple style for summer beers, most of which lack a decent flavor profile. Halcyon has a very nice malt backbone and a crisp, citrus-esque flavor that quenches your thirst on a warm day. I really, really like this beer.

Overall - If you want the perfect beer to drink outside on a warm, sunny day you certainly couldn't do much better than this. Easy drinking with plenty of flavor and yet thirst quenching and refreshing to boot. Super summer session brew!

Would I buy more of it? - yes, definitely. I could go back and forth with this and Tallgrass' Oasis and be very happy all summer long.

12oz can poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a hazy golden color, about 2 fingers of foamy white head that doesn't stick around, decent lacing.

S: Wheat right away a hint of hops and lemon as well.

T: Sweet biscuit note up front followed by grassy herbal note and a hint of citrus notes.

M: Light body, fair amount of carbonation that finishes slightly dry.

O: A great sessionable beer and the can format makes it perfect to take tailgating, camping or the beach.

Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat from Tallgrass Brewing Company