Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: jaycount on 03-30-2011

We originally brewed Halcyon as our first summer seasonal, but since all the Halcyon fans (a.k.a: kiteheads) asked so nicely, we now brew this magical brew year around. Besides, who doesn't want a little taste of summer on a dark winter night?

We are proud of all our beers, but Halcyon is special. We are in “the wheat state” after all, so the pressure was on us to make a wheat beer, but we knew it had to be great. Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat is the result of that Midwestern angst, an all-American wheat with real Kansas-grown grain in the brew.

We start with raw Kansas white wheat in the mix to give it a nice edge, but what really makes it shine is the hops. We use “hop-bursting” late in the brewing process and this gives Halcyon its palate of tropical fruit flavors & aromas with a bright and refreshing taste like the best days of summer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked this one up today as part of a mixed six pack at Lukas Liquors, just south of Denver. Surprised that this can was a 12 ouncer, unlike the other Tallgrass beers. Oh well. Poured a hazy straw color with a rocky white head. Aromas of wheat and light lemony hops. On the palate, this one was light bodied, crisp and refreshing, with wheat and more citrus. (360 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Pour - the color of a very hazy, sunny summer day. Leaning towards golden orange with some straw-colored highlights and a very nice looking, fluffy, white head on top. Looks cool and refreshing which is certainly something to look forward to on a day like this - temps pushing 95 right now.

Aroma - some citrus, lemons and oranges along with some cut grass and an earthy aroma perhaps from the wheat or the yeast. Nothing too overpowering as far as aroma goes which is how I like my session beers.

Taste - first sip really hits the spot. Lots of solid malt flavor, almost reminiscent of a brown ale in some ways, a bit toasty and biscuity. That quickly thins out and a citrusy, hop finish develops. This is not your average American Pale Wheat Ale - which has become the staple style for summer beers, most of which lack a decent flavor profile. Halcyon has a very nice malt backbone and a crisp, citrus-esque flavor that quenches your thirst on a warm day. I really, really like this beer.

Overall - If you want the perfect beer to drink outside on a warm, sunny day you certainly couldn't do much better than this. Easy drinking with plenty of flavor and yet thirst quenching and refreshing to boot. Super summer session brew!

Would I buy more of it? - yes, definitely. I could go back and forth with this and Tallgrass' Oasis and be very happy all summer long. (1,373 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance & Aroma: It is golden-orange in color and fairly hazy with some chunks of yeast sediment floating about. There was a lot of carbonation with a big, bright white, creamy head which stuck around for a while. It had a yeasty, slightly bready aroma with hints of citrus.

Taste & Feel: The body was light and it had a smooth, somewhat watery mouthfeel with almost no carbonation bite. There was a good, yeasty, bready malt flavor in middle, followed by a lighter bready, airy, slightly citrusy finish.

Food Pairing: This was light enough that it would go with almost any food. However, I think it light airiness of it would help to wash down thicker, bready, or even fried, foods.

Overall Impression: I haven’t had a craft beer in a can for a while, so I was a bit skeptical of it. I found this to be extremely drinkable, and it went down very easily after being outside on this hot day. The flavors were mostly yeasty, but light – adding a bit of tastiness, but leaving it very drinkable. The finish was slightly citrusy, almost effervescent, making it a great summer beer. (1,087 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy golden color into my DFH signature glass. Great one finger head retains with great lacing. Aroma of wheat and hops with hints of bready malts and yeast. Taste follows the nose, very fresh and crisp tasting. This is a great wheat beer that flys under the radar. (274 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Very doughy. Cloudy golden color. Good la king.

S - Strong wheat aroma. Citrusy aroma.

T - Bready tastes controls and tastes awesome. Like bread in a can

M - pretty darn thick wheat, almost creamy.

O - Usually not a huge fan of wheats, but this wheat bomb is fantastic. Very drinkable beer for (301 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -25.5%

12oz can. Pours a very hazy dark yellow with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet wheat malts with a touch of fruit.

The flavor is wheat malts and a splash of lemoney fruits and yeast. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with spritzy carbonation.

Overall, it's a simple but enjoyable and drinkable wheat. (351 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a standard clear pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy pale golden with a foamy two-finger white head that settled to a nice frothy cap.

Smell: Subtle sweet and wheaty smelling, maybe a hint of citrus.

Taste: Like it smells, sweet, wheaty and a hint of citrus. Not bad for a good light summer brew from a can.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, crisp and medium-bodied

Drinkability: Very drinkable, a great beer for the cooler in the summer. Taste great right out of the can for sporting events or concert tailgating. I did a session at the tailgate party with several of these and they hit the spot. Would grab them again for a similar event. (653 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured into a Spaten tumbler. Cloudy, yellow orange color, with medium carbonation bubbles but they lead to a huge straw colored, three finger head. Lace I think is gonna stick around and does in a spotted pattern.

Smell is very bready and musty. Hay comes to mind. Maybe even some over ripe oranges.

Taste is earthy or grassy. Some sweet malt flavors. Tons of musty yeast flavors.

Mouth is well balanced but for a wheat it is not that refreshing. I'm trying to scrape this off my tongue instead of enjoying what's going down.

Overall I don't think is a terrible representation of the style, just not my cup of tea (wheat?). Thanks to McNuts for this freebee. (664 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +14.8%

Oooo I liked this one. Bought at a liquor store somewhere on the Flint Hills Scenic byway, south of Manhattan, KS. Enjoyed at home in OKC.

Very good session beer. I had avoided this beer in the past (been disappointed too often by beers pitched as "light wheat beers") but I was wrong. This beer is damn good.

Pours a very pretty hazy gold liquid with a giant fluffy white head. (prettiest beer I've enjoyed in ages). Aroma is ok. Light citrus and wheat notes.

Flavor though is excellent. Very complex. Reminds me of a sweeter version of a Belgian white. Sweet but not too sweet. Fair amount of citrus. Crisper than a heffe. Some hops in the background, especially in the aftertaste.

Medium mouthfeel.

Overall, one of the best beers I've had of this style. I highly recommend it. (784 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz can into a pint glass. Full pour.

A: Very deeply cloudy with a ton of yeast sediment floating throughout. Pale straw yellow with orange tones. Pleasant fluffy white head.

S: Very wheaty but the yeast aroma is dominant. The aromas of a pastry shop/bakery come to mind. Slightly muddled citrus.

T: This is really good. Has the depth and wheat character you'd expect from a good hefe (yes, I know it's not) without the odd lingering bitter which sometimes accompanies. right up there with Oberon flavor wise for an American style wheat. Malty, lightly citrusy, good.

M: Full, rich, drying.

D: Another winner from Jeff and the folks in Manhattan, KS. (657 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Served on-tap in a pint glass. Sllightly hazy light yellow body with about a one-finger white head. The head dissipated quickly but leaves a little scattered lacing.

The aroma is fairly muted. Some light citrus, some light bready wheat. I also get just a faint note of hops.

Well, this has a much better flavor than I expected. Nice blend of the light wheat and citrus notes, including some lemon and orange. The light hop kick at the end makes for a solid taste profile that works.

Light mouthfeel and a good clean finish. Solid wheat that would be excellent all summer. (574 characters)

Appearance: Cloudy yellow-gold, big head.

Smell: Wheaty, then lemon.

Taste: Crisp and tangy. Lemon from the yeast along with other citrus from the hops.

Mouthfeel: Light, goes down smooth.

Picked up a sixer of this since it's finally getting warmer around here. Nice crisp wheat beer--it's not Gumballhead, but it is hoppy. Nice change of pace beer or summer drinker. (371 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Purchased a sixer of this at The Wine & Cheese Place in Clayton, MO.

A - Hazy, yellowish-orange with nice frothy eggshell head. Typical of an unfiltered wheat.

S - I got lots of wheat, along with some nice citrus notes - lemon, orange, some sweet maltiness.

T & M - Lots of citrus. Reminded me of a nice hefeweizen that would have a slice of lemon / orange in it. Not too sweet though. Some maltiness and decent carbonation. Noticed carbonation dissipated as it sat, along with some of the sweetness. Thick, yet refreshing.

O - One of my new favorite spring/summer session beers. Very refreshing. Everyone who I've let try this beer really enjoys it. Tallgrass is becoming one of my new favorite breweries! (711 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color. The head is two inches of billowy eggshell white colored foam that recedes at a glacial pace into a fluffy cap of lacing. The aroma is of lemon, tangerines, and some tangy wheat. It is a very vibrant aroma. The taste is full of citrus fruit with a hint of tang. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a chewy texture, and lively carbonation. Overall, this is a very impressive American Pale Wheat Ale. It has far more flavor that nearly every other beer I've had of this style. I am a much bigger fan of Hefes, and would almost always choose one over a Pale Wheat Ale. However, I this beer is good enough that I could see myself drinking it again. (688 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from the can into a New Belgium tulip, it produces a great two finger head even when pulled directly from the fridge.
A: The appearance is not quite as opaque as expected, hazy.

S: Well balanced aroma is sent from the momentary head. Aromas of edgy Wheat Thin like scent with plenty of plush wheat in the background that are made much more interesting by the citra hops. The citra hops provide a watermelon like aroma.

T: Follows the scent, but more focused, crisp wheat flavors. The Citra hops explore mainly in the fruity spectrum with flavors of watermelon, over ripe cantalope, and apples. Maybe a touch of lemon. The wheat thin like (multigrain) flavor comes through especially as it warms that doesn't quite go with the rest of the beer. Best enjoyed straight from the fridge.

M: If enjoyed rather quickly, the carbonation stays just right. The mouthfeel is rather thick. Tallgrass has an ability to make thick yet refreshing beers. Thats what I really like about the beer; thick body, yet crisp flavors. The bubbles formed after awhile are little large and make the beer feel less special as flavors gravitate towards an average wheat beer.

Overall, great wheat beer. I love the thickness of the beer but wish that there were actually more citra hops in it. When I had it two months ago, as fresh as can be, it was more of a standout (would have been an A-). I will make sure next year I grab a six pack right away. (1,435 characters)

I've had this beer before, but the brewery was new so I'm giving them another chance.

This beer is strange. It's not quite like the pale wheat ales of Boulevard, Widmer, and others. It's more on the Pale Ale side of Wheat ale than the hefe side.

The appearance is very clear, which is odd for this style.

The smell is more floral, with no wheat malt or banana like smells coming off of the beer.

The taste is more floral as well. Hardly any wheat malt backbone, no wheat malt mouth-feel, and certainly no fruity wheat flavor. It's got some I suppose, but this beer is more like a Pale Ale that accidentally had some wheat malt spilled in it. (649 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

A - pours a hazy yellow with an insignificant head on it

S - smells of Wheat grains with cuts of citrus and grassy hops

T - taste is nice. Starts off with with wheat malts and fades to some yeasty flavors. A bit of citrus shows up with hints of Orange and straw. Weird combo, but it works.

M - nice full body and goes down rather smoothly

D - pretty decent wheat beer. It is more flavorful than yOur run of the mill apwa's but not earth shattering....then again, is it supposed to be? I would buy this again. (512 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Purchased a 6pack of this at Highland package in Birmingham AL

Pours a cloudy light orange, little bit of head
Smells like the average wheatbeer but with a hint of sweet orange.
I get that same grapefruity sweetness right up front, never had that in a wheat. Quite liked it! None of the odd wet straw some other wheats have, I'm still confused as to weather I want to call it a wheat.
Very easy going and refreshing beer, this would easily replace Hoegaarden in my fridge during the summer, were it not that I live in MS, where this beer is unavailable. (554 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a golden lemonade color from the can, some orange tinges. about an inch or so of head. very cloudy in the glass.

Smells of wheat and grains and I can pick up some hops. Earthy smell.

The taste is wonderful, it's very smooth and well balanced. it starts with a bit of sweetness balanced by some fruity hoppiness. I can taste some citrus like mandarin oranges towards the end.
Very refreshing.

Smooth and juicy feel, lighter bodied. moderate carbonation,

Overall this is a reallly well made wheat beer and probably one of my new favorites. I will definitely be revisiting this beer many times this summer. (613 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -29.2%

Pours a cloudy straw yellow with a one-finger white head. Head retention is meh, lacing is average.

Smells of nice citrus and floral hops, backed up by fresh wheat. Quite pleasant, and a good combination of fruity and earthy. The highlight of the beer.

Tastes like... wait a minute, where's the flavor? It tastes like nothing. If I try real hard, I can pick up some light malts, some wheat. The finish is as bland as the rest of it. I let it warm up to near room temp, tasting along the way, and I still got very little flavor. A bit more bitterness from the hops, and some grainy malt, but even at 60 degrees F it tasted weak. Disappointed.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, with solid carbonation. I think it holds in the mouth fairly well, but as there's so little flavor, I can't really tell.

This beer has almost no taste. Okay, it's innocuous, doesn't actually taste bad, and is slightly more refreshing than cold water. But I want flavor from my beer. And this is not a comment on the style - I've recently had several pale wheat ales that I found flavorful. Don't think it's a freshness issue, as I'm pretty sure this just hit our shelves in the last couple weeks. I do not plan to drink this again. (1,204 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

-A refreshing wheat ale.

-Nice wheaty aroma and a prominent citrus flavor (oranges, tangerines).

-Drinks like a wheat pale ale.

-Very hop forward on the flavor and definitely qualifies as a thirst quencher although probably not a beer I would drink over and over again. (275 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving glass: Poured from can into Pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy, dull orange with stark white head and nice lacing.

Smell: Dry wheat and citrusy hops. Dry, hoppy and somewhat musty.

Taste: Pretty fruity and citrusy over a wheat backbone. Pretty hoppy, but not bitter at all and actually a little sweet.

Feel: Moderately high carbonation. Nice creamy body but the finish is oddly tingly and sweet.

Overall: Seems like they were aiming for something more akin to Oberon vs. the typical American Wheat. And it is a pretty good wheat beer, as the Citra hops make it unique, but the oddly sweet taste keeps this from being great. (632 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz -> Marshall Pint

A ~ Hazy Gold, with what I like to call "Soda-pop Bubbles"
Tall airy head that's gone after a minute.

S ~ Lemons, Blueberries, Soft Wheat (less than expected)

T ~ Fruity Pebbles, Bubblegum, Caramel, Sugar, Citrus, faint hops, and (forreal) Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Pretty sweet.

M ~ Goes down smooth, semi dry finish, but that sugared-orange cloy gets old.

D ~ Like it alot, but wouldn't session. I'd have to take breaks.

cheers! (459 characters)

Pours a murky pale yellow body with a white head.

The aroma starts grainy, but the fruit character builds as it warms.

Grainy wheat cracker and honey provide a little sweetness while fruit notes add complexity. As it warms, some really nice apricot and peach notes shine through.

Again, time really changes it. Spritzy and light first, then fuller and a little less sharp.

Halcyon has the least flavor of all the Tall Grass beers and yet, I think it might be their best. It is exactly what an American Unfiltered Wheat should be and the picture of a perfect canned beer for the summer. Perhaps the best example of tempreture turning a pedestrian beer in to someting truly interesting. (689 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Cloudy golden color with two fingers of dense, white head. The head slowly settles to a thick cap. Heavy, spotty lacing is left on the glass. Looks as good as a hefeweizen.

Wheat aromas with a touch of lemon and grassy hops. Although not as exciting as the citris hopped wheat ales, this one is still pretty good.

The flavor does not quite live up to expectations. The hops are not adding much to the wheat flavor. Just a slight hint of grassiness.

A little lighter in body and not as nicely textured as hefes.

A good wheat ale that is not as exciting as offerings from Lagunitas and Three Floyds. Better than most others however. (635 characters)

Tallgrass Halcyon Unfiltered Wheat from Tallgrass Brewing Company