Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale - Tallgrass Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-01-2012

Ratings: 960 | Reviews: 165
2.26/5  rDev -40.2%

I was offered a 16oz can at a friends house, and when I saw the artwork on the can I was excited and thought "hey, this has to be good, it's from Tallgrass!" Tallgrass makes great stuff, like Buffalo Sweat, which I like a lot.

Didn't get to see the color, as I had nothing to pour into, but I'm assuming it was some kind of golden or off yellow color like most other APA's.

Right from the start it had a really bad funk to it's smell that told me this was going to be another write off or one that smells bad and turns out amazing, usually it's the first.
Maybe because I grew up in the French countryside on a farm I pick up the harsher scents easier or something, my friend insisted it had no funk smell to it, but it really smelled pungent to me.

The taste was about as bad as the smell, I didn't enjoy it at all and it made me cringe.
In the taste I detected hints of some tropical hops and some decent carbonation followed by a small hint of what I think was grapefruit, if these tastes had been more empowering over the funk I would have liked this more.

The mouthfeel was medium and slightly dense with a watery twinge, but not much there for me.

Overall I don't think I would try this again, other people seem to enjoy it but it's just not for me.
I do like the artwork, though, but other than that, I just can't get into this one.

2.61/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Hazy gold with a 3 finger head of white foam with good retention and lacing. The aroma has citrus, biscuit malt, and grassiness.

The taste is much like the aroma. The citrus flavor is like a combination of lemons and grapefruit, along with biscuit malt, and grassiness. More bitter than sweet. The lemon flavor is the strongest, followed by biscuit malt, and grapefruit.

Light bodied with average carbonation, and a lemon with biscuit malt aftertaste. Finishes dry. Not a completely bad beer, but not my favorite combination of flavors either. Guess I'm not a big fan of Galaxy hops.

2.72/5  rDev -28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

pint can into NYG pint glass. drink before 04/04/13.

A: very hazed. pale orange body. head is bubbly and a shade darker than white. head retention is great. thick lacing.

S: fruit juice. apple? sweet sugar. lots of malt. cheerios. banana bread.

T: the bitterness is serious here. fruity hop flavor. oranges. plenty of grain. cereal finish makes it a bit chewy. fruity twang.

M: average/slightly mild carb. light/medium body.

D: good, not great. too much hop bitterness distracts from some of the pleasant hop flavor. plenty of malt also distracts in a way that i find unpleasant. stylistically to me this drinks more like an english bitter than an APA.

2.74/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Older can, would be better fresh, awesome label art on the can

2.76/5  rDev -27%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Poured a hazy pale orange color with good carbonation leaving a huge white frothy head, loads of lacing, great head retention and a nice white collar and bubbles. Seriously great looking.

S: Grainy, some citrus notes, stale. Pretty underwhelming.

T: Initial sordove bitterness upfront with a graininess blended with fruity hop flavor. The finish is rather long, bland, bitter and again underwhelming

M: Light-medium body, well carbonated. Stale, some fruits are really subdued.

O: I'm glad I dont have to drink this as my local APA everyday.

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Just ok, not the best pale ale

2.87/5  rDev -24.1%

16oz can into Duvel tulip.

A- Golden flax with lacy two finger head, hazier than expected, but for some reason looks really appealing.
S- Weak aroma of dank hops, really have to swirl it to get much aroma.
T- A bit of light malt, some weak citrus and dank hops, overall pretty underwhelming.
M- A bit thicker than expected given the ABV and overall lack of flavor, crisp carbonation.
O- Pretty unimpressive pale ale, the flavor and aroma just arn't there. Would not buy again.

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange-gold with four fingers of white head that recedes into a dense cap with a solid sheet of lacing.

S: Grass and steamed veggie aromas dominate here. There are some faint pine notes as well, but that's about it.

T: Pine and grass dominate here with some more cooked veggie flavor as well. The finish is lightly bitter.

M: Medium body with mid-low carbonation, this beer is a little watery.

O: Not a particularly good pale ale. The veggie flavors are a bit distracting and detrimental to the beer as a whole. I love the can, though.

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

Great can design but what was inside just wasn't what i was looking for. Way to malty in my opinion.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A basic Pale Ale with a light body, average hoppiness, and nice carbonation. The 8-bit has a decent malt character to it, but beyond that a pretty limited flavor profile. The hops here are pretty subdued, a little citrusy, but generally came across as pretty flat to me with little immediate bite or depth of flavor. Not a bad beer, but an average American style Pale Ale with a can that's more intriguing than the contents.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

1 finger of beige head with a lot of sticky lace. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Orange peel and bready malts. Some grassy flavors, but that is about it.

Taste: Orange citrus, floral and grassy hops, with some bready malts. Not much here.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and sticky. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a hop resin stickiness.

Overall, I don't like this beer. It is more bitter than the taste would suggest. There should be much more flavor here. I just don't get this beer. I even like galaxy hops so I expected much more from this beer.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A slightly above average beer, but too mild for my taste.

3.02/5  rDev -20.1%

An okay ale with a slightly funky aftertaste. Not sure I'd drink again.

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from a pint can, with a drink by date of 09/18/14,into a Delirium tulip. Pours a semi hazy golden yellowish orange, with one finger of fluffy off-white head. Spotty lacing left behind as I sip. Smells a bit like a wit style beer, with some spicy herbal hop notes. The taste falls a little flat for my preferences, leaning more towards a strong malt backbone and not enough hops. The mouth feel is right to style for this pale, nice clean finish with a slight hop bite. I would've rated this one higher, but the store owner informed me that this was supposed to be a hoppy pale ale. Not a bad beer at all, just not what I was expecting.

3.12/5  rDev -17.5%

This poured out as a clear looking yellow color. The head was a little fizzy and white. Didn't leave much retention. The smell of the beer was hoppy with some malts shining through. The taste was on the bitter side, nothing too strong like an IPA would be. There was a slight sweetness in the beginning of each sip. The mouthfeel has a pretty sharp feeling carbonation to it. Overall the beer is drinkable, it's not something that really impressed me but it's decent.

3.15/5  rDev -16.7%

One of the few micro-brews i have had in a can, first in a long time. To be honest it was the artwork of the can that made me buy this beer, reminded me of my childhood playing 8 bit video games. Smell is appearance are great, has a nice hop fragrance and a decent golden color. However the taste is very metallic, and the mouthfeel is watery, this beer is a let down to be honest. It has a very solid aroma and it looks appetizing, but it certainly falls short.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearance-
I would have simply rated it 3.5 for a golden haze appearance common with many pale ales, but for the first time I factored in can art (because I am a nerd for 8-bit art).

Smell-
Slight sweet citrus, crispness... followed by what I fear to be a soapy note.

Taste-
Lemons, followed by a great malt backing, sadly I am tasting the soap right at the end. It is taking me out of the fantastic flavor.

Mouthfeel-
This one is great for a pale ale, not super carbonated, but the bubbles you do feel count.

Overall-
I would like to re-rate this, because I believe I just got a bad batch considering the good flavors before the fatal flaw.

3.31/5  rDev -12.4%

Picked this up on a trip through Madison, WI. Haven't found it in the Chicago area yet.

Pours a light copper, almost honey in color with at least 2 fingers of head..dissapates slowly.. Smells of light citrus, some grapefruit, but mostly earthy and slightly dank aromas....let's try the taste..

Pleasantly surprised by the slight bitterness and the bite the hops provide that wasn't expected. A grittier, carbonated medium body for mouthfeel...

Very drinkable, but not as smooth as most Pale Ales out of cans. Have a couple, you bet. A sixer, nah. But worth a taste!

Cheers!

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Deep gold, white cap has good retention and lace.

S/T - Big caramel sweet malts, finishes with a leafy pine bitterness. Not getting too much depth here.

M - Solid medium body, medium carbonation. Stays smooth across the palate, a little oily.

O - Finishes a bit sweet for my liking with the hops not really getting much depth of flavor or aroma. Finish is kind of an ambiguous bitterness without much flavor other than pine.

3.36/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz can pours a clear, dark gold color with a large, craterous white head. Sticky lace aplenty and nice retention. A tremendous looking Pale. Bonus points for a great can design.

Nose is mostly juicy tropical and citrus hops with a little bit of honeyed-grain malt.

Taste is big on both flavoring and bittering hops with a light malt base. The flavor profile definitely showcases the Galaxy hop, but maybe is a tad one-dimensional. The more I drink these SMaSH or Single Hop beers, the more I appreciate a solid, well conceived hop schedule. Or maybe Im just not a huge Galaxy fan...either way, I find this beer to be just average tasting.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Woodman's in Kenosha, WI. Consumed & reviewed on 9/20/12. Can best by 335/12 on bottom (12/1/12?).

Poured into Duvel tulip: cloudy light orange with loys of frothy white head. Has a bit of a funky smell: reminiscent of a malt liquor, sweet & corny. The taste is not bad: a bit of lingering bitterness.

This has the profile of Daisy Cutter, but lacks the quality. I was excited to try it, glad I did, but will be unlikely to purchase again.

3.44/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. A good finger and half of tight head. Clear, golden colored ale.

It smells a little like honey and musty hay. Not super appealing.

The flavor starts slow and then builds up. Balanced bitter and malt at first, then the hops take over with a dull bitter taste at the end.

Soft texture, low carbonation and medium body.

It's a tasty treat.

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%

Pint can into a 25cl Duvel tulip. Thanks, Tony!

A: Slightly hazy pale amber body under a fine white head. Ok retention, spotty lace. All right.

S: Floral hops and bready malt. A nice touch of tropical fruit. Simple and pleasant.

T: Lightly fruity up front with some tasty hops, but rather boring pale malt dominates the middle with dull breadiness and grain husk. Bitter, vanilla-tinged aftertaste. Pretty forgettable.

M: Soft, delicately carbonated light-to-medium body. Quite nice.

O: Drinkable, but the flavor was rather disappointing after the inviting aroma.

Cheers!

3.49/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big off white head settles into a big nice lacing above a cloudy straw golden colored beer.

A light citrusy yeasty aroma.

Lightly bitter within the citrus, light pine taste that still has a hint of the yeast tagging alone.

A light dry aftertaste with some light bitterness and a bit of the citrus of the taste hanging around with this medium bodied pale ale.

Easy drinking pale ale with a bit of citrus, a good introduction to hoppy style of beers.

3.49/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

S: Citrus, floral, yeast and grass. T: Sweet maltiness, grass, light citrus, bready. F: Light carbonation, med/light body, light pine bight on the tongue and light pine aftertaste.

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale from Tallgrass Brewing Company