Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale AleTallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-01-2012)

jmbraxton, Aug 19, 2012

tbone64, Jul 10, 2014

Miami66, Jul 29, 2013

drummermattie02, Mar 28, 2012

Hellpop65, Sep 23, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

I was offered a 16oz can at a friends house, and when I saw the artwork on the can I was excited and thought "hey, this has to be good, it's from Tallgrass!" Tallgrass makes great stuff, like Buffalo Sweat, which I like a lot.

Didn't get to see the color, as I had nothing to pour into, but I'm assuming it was some kind of golden or off yellow color like most other APA's.

Right from the start it had a really bad funk to it's smell that told me this was going to be another write off or one that smells bad and turns out amazing, usually it's the first.
Maybe because I grew up in the French countryside on a farm I pick up the harsher scents easier or something, my friend insisted it had no funk smell to it, but it really smelled pungent to me.

The taste was about as bad as the smell, I didn't enjoy it at all and it made me cringe.
In the taste I detected hints of some tropical hops and some decent carbonation followed by a small hint of what I think was grapefruit, if these tastes had been more empowering over the funk I would have liked this more.

The mouthfeel was medium and slightly dense with a watery twinge, but not much there for me.

Overall I don't think I would try this again, other people seem to enjoy it but it's just not for me.
I do like the artwork, though, but other than that, I just can't get into this one.

PierreCharra, Feb 20, 2013

ffshore545, Jul 07, 2014

TooGood, Mar 16, 2014

Faroveryonder, Jul 10, 2014

CWhite, Oct 05, 2012

Lare453, Mar 21, 2013

TheoV, Jun 16, 2012
2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

Hazy gold with a 3 finger head of white foam with good retention and lacing. The aroma has citrus, biscuit malt, and grassiness.

The taste is much like the aroma. The citrus flavor is like a combination of lemons and grapefruit, along with biscuit malt, and grassiness. More bitter than sweet. The lemon flavor is the strongest, followed by biscuit malt, and grapefruit.

Light bodied with average carbonation, and a lemon with biscuit malt aftertaste. Finishes dry. Not a completely bad beer, but not my favorite combination of flavors either. Guess I'm not a big fan of Galaxy hops.

hardy008, Mar 24, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

pint can into NYG pint glass. drink before 04/04/13.

A: very hazed. pale orange body. head is bubbly and a shade darker than white. head retention is great. thick lacing.

S: fruit juice. apple? sweet sugar. lots of malt. cheerios. banana bread.

T: the bitterness is serious here. fruity hop flavor. oranges. plenty of grain. cereal finish makes it a bit chewy. fruity twang.

M: average/slightly mild carb. light/medium body.

D: good, not great. too much hop bitterness distracts from some of the pleasant hop flavor. plenty of malt also distracts in a way that i find unpleasant. stylistically to me this drinks more like an english bitter than an APA.

Jimmys, Dec 30, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -28%

A: Poured a hazy pale orange color with good carbonation leaving a huge white frothy head, loads of lacing, great head retention and a nice white collar and bubbles. Seriously great looking.

S: Grainy, some citrus notes, stale. Pretty underwhelming.

T: Initial sordove bitterness upfront with a graininess blended with fruity hop flavor. The finish is rather long, bland, bitter and again underwhelming

M: Light-medium body, well carbonated. Stale, some fruits are really subdued.

O: I'm glad I dont have to drink this as my local APA everyday.

barleywinefiend, Apr 02, 2013

3Hops, Mar 17, 2012

MathNut, Jul 14, 2012

Stoshua, Jan 17, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

16oz can into Duvel tulip.

A- Golden flax with lacy two finger head, hazier than expected, but for some reason looks really appealing.
S- Weak aroma of dank hops, really have to swirl it to get much aroma.
T- A bit of light malt, some weak citrus and dank hops, overall pretty underwhelming.
M- A bit thicker than expected given the ABV and overall lack of flavor, crisp carbonation.
O- Pretty unimpressive pale ale, the flavor and aroma just arn't there. Would not buy again.

Steasy66, Apr 11, 2012
2.9/5  rDev -23.5%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange-gold with four fingers of white head that recedes into a dense cap with a solid sheet of lacing.

S: Grass and steamed veggie aromas dominate here. There are some faint pine notes as well, but that's about it.

T: Pine and grass dominate here with some more cooked veggie flavor as well. The finish is lightly bitter.

M: Medium body with mid-low carbonation, this beer is a little watery.

O: Not a particularly good pale ale. The veggie flavors are a bit distracting and detrimental to the beer as a whole. I love the can, though.

n2185, Apr 02, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -22.7%

A basic Pale Ale with a light body, average hoppiness, and nice carbonation. The 8-bit has a decent malt character to it, but beyond that a pretty limited flavor profile. The hops here are pretty subdued, a little citrusy, but generally came across as pretty flat to me with little immediate bite or depth of flavor. Not a bad beer, but an average American style Pale Ale with a can that's more intriguing than the contents.

deepseacatfish, May 14, 2013