Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale AleTallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-01-2012)

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

I was offered a 16oz can at a friends house, and when I saw the artwork on the can I was excited and thought "hey, this has to be good, it's from Tallgrass!" Tallgrass makes great stuff, like Buffalo Sweat, which I like a lot.

Didn't get to see the color, as I had nothing to pour into, but I'm assuming it was some kind of golden or off yellow color like most other APA's.

Right from the start it had a really bad funk to it's smell that told me this was going to be another write off or one that smells bad and turns out amazing, usually it's the first.
Maybe because I grew up in the French countryside on a farm I pick up the harsher scents easier or something, my friend insisted it had no funk smell to it, but it really smelled pungent to me.

The taste was about as bad as the smell, I didn't enjoy it at all and it made me cringe.
In the taste I detected hints of some tropical hops and some decent carbonation followed by a small hint of what I think was grapefruit, if these tastes had been more empowering over the funk I would have liked this more.

The mouthfeel was medium and slightly dense with a watery twinge, but not much there for me.

Overall I don't think I would try this again, other people seem to enjoy it but it's just not for me.
I do like the artwork, though, but other than that, I just can't get into this one.

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from perhaps the coolest looking can of all time... Says 13 061.... I have no idea what this means...

Looks very appetizing in the glass, Golden Orangish color with a nice finger and a half of head, rather hazy

Smell is pale and caramel malts, grapefruit and a little pine

Taste starts with some caramel malt flavors then really opens up in the back with a huge burst of grapefruit and bitter lemon hops, almost reminds me of the taste of biting into a Orange or grapefruit peel right before you peel it, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel is starts a little thin but opens up with a good burst of carbonation that gives it a good medium feel. Finished really nice with a bitter drying bite that keeps you coming back for more.

Well this is certainly a good pale, not my favorite but it is up there. I love that it is in cans, I beleive it helps keep the beer stay a lot fresher for longer. This one with definitaley be in my rotation of APA's/IPAs!

3.93/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy, golden/copper color. One and one half inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong floral hops, slight citrus hops, sweet malt, hint of pale malt, slight citrus, and a hint of grass. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, caramel malt, floral hops, citrus hops, hint of earthy malt, and a hint of grass. Overall, great appearance, blend, good body, and aroma.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

4.16/5  rDev +10.1%

The beer pours, from the tap, a dark yellow color with a modest cap of foam. The aroma is floral and citrus hops. There is a distinct character here, which may be due to the heavy dose of Galaxy Hops. I don't quite know how to describe it other than bitter fruit, more melon than orchard fruit. This character continues onto the palate. A slight caramel aspect provides some balance, but again the unique hops character dominates. I don't know if I have ever had a beer that tastes quite like this. A pleasant offering from the folks at Tallgrass.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. tallboy can. Great design. Best by early April (too lazy to grab the can to get exact date), so it's fresh.

A: Very hazy, dull orange body. Excellent retention and lacing. Looks amazing, especially for a pale ale.

S: More malt and less hops than I expected, but nice.

T: I know it's a Pale Ale, but I was hoping for more hop flavor. The malt completely takes over.

M: Pretty standard for the style and ABV. I could enjoy a few of these in a row without a problem.

O: Could have something nice here, add more hops!

3.1/5  rDev -18%

One of the few micro-brews i have had in a can, first in a long time. To be honest it was the artwork of the can that made me buy this beer, reminded me of my childhood playing 8 bit video games. Smell is appearance are great, has a nice hop fragrance and a decent golden color. However the taste is very metallic, and the mouthfeel is watery, this beer is a let down to be honest. It has a very solid aroma and it looks appetizing, but it certainly falls short.

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale from Tallgrass Brewing Company