Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Beer added by: zeff80 on 03-01-2012

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

2.76/5  rDev -27%
look: 5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Poured a hazy pale orange color with good carbonation leaving a huge white frothy head, loads of lacing, great head retention and a nice white collar and bubbles. Seriously great looking.

S: Grainy, some citrus notes, stale. Pretty underwhelming.

T: Initial sordove bitterness upfront with a graininess blended with fruity hop flavor. The finish is rather long, bland, bitter and again underwhelming

M: Light-medium body, well carbonated. Stale, some fruits are really subdued.

O: I'm glad I dont have to drink this as my local APA everyday.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16 oz. can. Pours a mainly clear, golden-orange color with a good, frothy off-white head, good lacing. Aroma is pale malts, a hint of biscuit, lemon, a bit of pine, and a hint of esters. Flavor is similar, a hint of bread, mainly lemon/citrus hops, and a bit of earthiness. Light-to-medium mouthfeel, dry, crisp, and a moderately bitter finish. Very good pale ale, quite drinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Deep gold, white cap has good retention and lace.

S/T - Big caramel sweet malts, finishes with a leafy pine bitterness. Not getting too much depth here.

M - Solid medium body, medium carbonation. Stays smooth across the palate, a little oily.

O - Finishes a bit sweet for my liking with the hops not really getting much depth of flavor or aroma. Finish is kind of an ambiguous bitterness without much flavor other than pine.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a clear burnt golden color. About 1.5" of egg shell white head forms, which has very good retention, aided by moderate to high carbonation. Overall, nice looking pale ale.

Smell: Caramel malt backbone comes through first, followed by a nice citrus hop punch. Nice melon and mango notes.

Taste: Nice caramel malt backbone to this pale ale. The Galaxy hops in this really shine on the back end, with mango and melon and citrus. Not much bitterness, just a lot of citrus.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Light to medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Pretty easy drinking and quite sessionable. Overall, I liked this pale ale quite a bit. Definitely one of the top Tallgrass brews, and one I will definitely drink again in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

2.26/5  rDev -40.2%

I was offered a 16oz can at a friends house, and when I saw the artwork on the can I was excited and thought "hey, this has to be good, it's from Tallgrass!" Tallgrass makes great stuff, like Buffalo Sweat, which I like a lot.

Didn't get to see the color, as I had nothing to pour into, but I'm assuming it was some kind of golden or off yellow color like most other APA's.

Right from the start it had a really bad funk to it's smell that told me this was going to be another write off or one that smells bad and turns out amazing, usually it's the first.
Maybe because I grew up in the French countryside on a farm I pick up the harsher scents easier or something, my friend insisted it had no funk smell to it, but it really smelled pungent to me.

The taste was about as bad as the smell, I didn't enjoy it at all and it made me cringe.
In the taste I detected hints of some tropical hops and some decent carbonation followed by a small hint of what I think was grapefruit, if these tastes had been more empowering over the funk I would have liked this more.

The mouthfeel was medium and slightly dense with a watery twinge, but not much there for me.

Overall I don't think I would try this again, other people seem to enjoy it but it's just not for me.
I do like the artwork, though, but other than that, I just can't get into this one.

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from perhaps the coolest looking can of all time... Says 13 061.... I have no idea what this means...

Looks very appetizing in the glass, Golden Orangish color with a nice finger and a half of head, rather hazy

Smell is pale and caramel malts, grapefruit and a little pine

Taste starts with some caramel malt flavors then really opens up in the back with a huge burst of grapefruit and bitter lemon hops, almost reminds me of the taste of biting into a Orange or grapefruit peel right before you peel it, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel is starts a little thin but opens up with a good burst of carbonation that gives it a good medium feel. Finished really nice with a bitter drying bite that keeps you coming back for more.

Well this is certainly a good pale, not my favorite but it is up there. I love that it is in cans, I beleive it helps keep the beer stay a lot fresher for longer. This one with definitaley be in my rotation of APA's/IPAs!

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale from Tallgrass Brewing Company