Tallgrass Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Tallgrass Vanilla Bean Buffalo SweatTallgrass Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jera1350 on 01-12-2013)

4.71/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours out REALLY dark brown/black with really healthy head that was REALLY light brown/whitish that had really good retention. Smell is of dark fruit and some sweetness and a tiny bit of vanilla. Taste is pretty mellow as far as a stout but quite tastey. Definitely taste all the things from the nose but quite a bit more vanilla really makes it tasty. Mouthfeel is pretty thin as one would expect from a low ABV stout - right on for the style. Really a good beer. It's hard to not like something with vanilla.

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I'll preface this by saying I'm a big fan of their original Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Stout, so I'm quite excited to try this vanilla bean variation. It's the perfect evening for it as well, as it started snowing earlier so the ground has a nice little blanket, and I finished the first half of making some amazing cookies about which I am very excited. Anyway.

The pour comes out as a deep cola. Small bubbly khaki head that fizzes up before dissipating, leaving little to nothing on the glass. The biggest knock for me is it looks a little thin and crispy.

Sticking my nose in there, it's all vanilla at first. Big bean character that eventually gives way to a creamy cacao/oily espresso. Pretty much what I was hoping for.

The taste carries the creamy vanilla bean over for sure, but it almost has an egg nog characteristic to it. Maybe I'm just finally giving in to the inevitability of Christmas' approach, or maybe the stew I had for dinner is playing with my tongue or what, but between the vanilla and the creamy feel held up by lactose and spice, that's the image that's conjured first in my mind. After several sips, that fades, and it gets to be more of a straightforward vanilla bean permeating the chocolate malts and dark roast coffee that the nose promised. It was a fun little detour, though.

I'd never even heard of Tallgrass before moving to StL, but I must say I've thoroughly enjoyed pretty much every offering of theirs I've had. As I noted up top, I appreciate their base Buffalo Sweat, and I like a well done vanilla brew (personal preference: I prefer the flavour of vanilla bean to... extract or whatever the other ways of presenting it are. It just seems rounder, creamier, oilier... I don't really know how to explain it, just that it appeals more to me). This is a combination of a good base beer modified well. I don't know if you can get it outside of their variety 8 pack, but even if you can't it's well worth it (I mean, Ethos, 8-Bit and regular Buffalo Sweat are also super delicious, so there's no filler there).

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

16 fl oz. can with drink by date of 04/13/2014 printed on the bottom of the can. I haven't tried the original Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat, but I'm sure this will do just fine. Expectations are moderately high, since I have enjoyed what I've had from Tallgrass so far.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a very dark cola brown; opaque black in the glass with three fingers of creamy fluffy light chocolate colored head. Nice fat sheets of lace. Looks amazing.

S - Ahh yes. Beautiful silky vanilla beans, cocoa, dark bitter coffee bean roast, and a hint of coiny metallics.

T - Mmmm. Delicious. Dark bold bitter coffee bean roast, dark chocolate / cocoa, slight nuttiness, and wonderful authentic vanilla bean flavor.

M - Feel is smooth and creamy with lots of big bold dark coffee / chocolate bitterness hanging onto the palate. Awesome.

Overall, another great beer from Tallgrass. These guys continue to impress me. This beer is pretty much everything I had hoped it would be; very impressive. Very robust, with lots of flavor for such a low abv. Highly recommended, I can't wait to try the original.

Tallgrass Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat ---4/5.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16 oz. can received from a brewery rep. 16 oz. can poured into an imperial nonic. Solid finger and a half of dark beige/light brown frothy/rocky head sitting on top of a dark brown, almost black body. Thick, sticky lacing throughout.

Aroma is pretty much what I expected. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, cocoa, and surprisingly spicy. All in all, not terribly different from the standard Buffalo Sweat, with the addition of vanilla as well as a spiciness that I do not recall from the original.

Flavor is sweet chocolate, lactose, oats, and vanilla (although not as evident as in the aroma) , with a mildly bitter finish of coffee and roasted malts which wonderfully balances the sweetness.

Body is fairly light for the style (although medium overall), but creamy.

Neither terribly filling nor high alcohol could make this a fairly sessionable brew. Balanced and flavorful but not over the top. Despite my normal dislike of this brewery, this one met my expectations.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.057 OG. 5% ABV. 20 IBU. 1 pint aluminum can acquired at Zipp's Liquor in low altitude Minneapolis, MN, for $2.25 and served into a stem-tulip. Reviewed live. Expectations are pretty high given this brewery's rep and this beer's hype. Drink by: 04/09/14.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a two finger wide khaki colour head of nice creaminess and thickness. Smooth consistency. Uneven inconsistent lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Head retention is above average - about 3 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable opaque dark black. Not quite a jet black, but dark. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's pretty standard fare for a sweet stout. I'm looking forward to trying it. Not unique or special, but there are no egregious flaws.

Sm: Cream, dark malts, sweet milk chocolate, vanilla bean, chocolate malts, and lactose sugar. No roasted character is detectable, nor are any yeast, hops, or alcohol. A sweet pleasant aroma of above average strength. I'm really looking forward to trying it. The vanilla is the obvious highlight.

T: Sweet malty build with lactose sugar as the star. Love the vanilla bean notes - they're prominent and delicious. Chocolate malt. Dark malts. Very balanced and aptly built. I might even call it gestalt. Good complexity and nuance, but less than ideal intricacy and subtlety. Clean and enjoyable, with a good depth and intensity of flavour. Average duration of flavour. I really like it.

No yeast or hop character comes through, and there's no real alcohol presence either.

Mf: Sinfully creamy. Smooth and wet. Great presence on the palate. Good body and thickness. Feels custom-tailored specifically to the flavour profile. Silky and delicious.

Not astringent, oily, harsh, gushed, boozy, or rough.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable. I quite like it, and would definitely get it again. An impressive effort from Tallgrass. I'd definitely want a second or third in the same night. Very sessionable for a milk stout. I'd recommend it to friends. Really tasty stuff. Would be interesting on nitro-draught.

High B-

Serving glass: Poured from can into Nonic Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Ruby black with thin tan head and spotty lacing.

Smell: Vanilla, sweet molasses, roasted malt and milk chocolate.

Taste: Nice semi-sweet mix of chocolate, vanilla, molasses, roasted malt and licorice. Like the standard Buffalo Sweat, there aren't much hops, but the sharp vanilla taste helps improve the finish.

Feel: Low carbonation, smooth body that is fairly light. Seems much creamier than the standard Buffalo Sweat, and as a result, the thinness is less apparent or doesn't bother me.

Overall: A definite improvement over the base beer. Now how about a Double version?

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%