Ethos IPA - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Ethos IPAEthos IPA

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

(Beer added by: minnesotaryan on 05-01-2013)

Probably my favorite IPA out there. Love the bitterness

4.81/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So my first taste of heaven came at a sampling at a local grocery store. I made the comment to the brewer / brewery rep that it, "Tasted just like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo." That seemed to go over real well with the Tallgrass reps. My next comment is where can I get more and the brewery rep escorted me to the chill box and pointed me to the beer. Ethos is made with five different hops, which can really cost a brewery financially in that purchasing one hop that might be higher in cost then the other hop ingredients might mean the revenue generated might not exceed the cost invested. Sorry for that a historian talking economics, bad me. Here is what grabbed me, a very strong citrus smell I mean like a real ripe grapefruit, it really wrinkled the hairs in my nose, bad image, sorry again. It had a nice fizz, which formed a good head, and overall sat well on my palate. In drinking the beer, there is a nice wheat flavor at first followed by the bitterness, and then as the flavor levels off the alcohol flavor kicks in to round off the flavor. The only reason I knock this one down a bit is that I wish that the bitterness / citrus flavor hung around for a bit longer, it seemed to fade to fast, but hey I wish Christmas lasted three days. For a double IPA Tallgrass should be very proud of this beer, I pray my package store does not put a six pack of Torpedo next to a four pack of Ethos, I will be standing there debating on which one to get for a looonnng time.

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice dark golden orange, nice fluffy head. Smells super hoppy!!! Taste follows the nose, lots of dank piney hoppy wonderfulness! There is plenty of citric bitterness, I got lots of orange, grapefruit as well mango and tropical fruit qualities as well. This is really juicy and really delicious! Great carbonation and body! Overall I am a big fan of this beer and I will be buying a lot of in the future!

4.76/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a NB Globe glass.

A - This brew pours a slghtly hazy golden amber color with an off white head of not quite two fingers. I can see some carbonation, but it does not appear to be overly bubbly. It leaves nice splotchy lacing on the glass.

S - Hops, baby, hops! Very fruity/citrusy hop aroma is the first thing that jumps out at home, complemented by a touch of honey sweetness

T - Nice and bitter up front with a touch of sweeter malt honey on the back end. Very fruity hops - grapefruit, some mango, as well as a ton of other flavors mixed in. Just...wow...I can't really describe how tasty this is. Screw it, it gets a 5!

M - Medium body, nice carbonation - nothing strong to say either way, it's just as it should be.

O - Just a fantastic beer. Tallgrass is one of my absolute favorite breweries, and this beer is now in competition with 8 bit pale ale for my favorite from the brewery.

Ethos IPA from Tallgrass Brewing Company