Ethos IPA - Tallgrass Brewing Company

Ethos IPAEthos IPA

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

Beer added by: minnesotaryan on 05-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ethos IPA Alström Bros
4.83/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

So my first taste of heaven came at a sampling at a local grocery store. I made the comment to the brewer / brewery rep that it, "Tasted just like a Sierra Nevada Torpedo." That seemed to go over real well with the Tallgrass reps. My next comment is where can I get more and the brewery rep escorted me to the chill box and pointed me to the beer. Ethos is made with five different hops, which can really cost a brewery financially in that purchasing one hop that might be higher in cost then the other hop ingredients might mean the revenue generated might not exceed the cost invested. Sorry for that a historian talking economics, bad me. Here is what grabbed me, a very strong citrus smell I mean like a real ripe grapefruit, it really wrinkled the hairs in my nose, bad image, sorry again. It had a nice fizz, which formed a good head, and overall sat well on my palate. In drinking the beer, there is a nice wheat flavor at first followed by the bitterness, and then as the flavor levels off the alcohol flavor kicks in to round off the flavor. The only reason I knock this one down a bit is that I wish that the bitterness / citrus flavor hung around for a bit longer, it seemed to fade to fast, but hey I wish Christmas lasted three days. For a double IPA Tallgrass should be very proud of this beer, I pray my package store does not put a six pack of Torpedo next to a four pack of Ethos, I will be standing there debating on which one to get for a looonnng time.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice dark golden orange, nice fluffy head. Smells super hoppy!!! Taste follows the nose, lots of dank piney hoppy wonderfulness! There is plenty of citric bitterness, I got lots of orange, grapefruit as well mango and tropical fruit qualities as well. This is really juicy and really delicious! Great carbonation and body! Overall I am a big fan of this beer and I will be buying a lot of in the future!

4.74/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a NB Globe glass.

A - This brew pours a slghtly hazy golden amber color with an off white head of not quite two fingers. I can see some carbonation, but it does not appear to be overly bubbly. It leaves nice splotchy lacing on the glass.

S - Hops, baby, hops! Very fruity/citrusy hop aroma is the first thing that jumps out at home, complemented by a touch of honey sweetness

T - Nice and bitter up front with a touch of sweeter malt honey on the back end. Very fruity hops - grapefruit, some mango, as well as a ton of other flavors mixed in. can't really describe how tasty this is. Screw it, it gets a 5!

M - Medium body, nice carbonation - nothing strong to say either way, it's just as it should be.

O - Just a fantastic beer. Tallgrass is one of my absolute favorite breweries, and this beer is now in competition with 8 bit pale ale for my favorite from the brewery.

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Poured from the can into a standard pint glass it produced a ton of fluffy white foam (nearly half the glass) but quckly receeded. Chunky honey comb looking lacing left on the side of the glass. Moderately hazy dark yellow to copper color.

S: Lots of aromatic hops. Grapefruit and sour oranges along with spicy earth and hearbal notes. Slightly grassy with lasting tropical fruit. Soft doughy malt aroma is apperant but hides behind the hop aroma.

T: Big Juicy grapefruit bitterness transitioning to to a piney layered affect. There are alot of different and distinct hop flavors coming through in each wave over the pallet, very complex. bready and slightly caramel flavored malt. No alcohol detected, but a lingering aftertaste of assertive fresh grapefruit.

M: The finish is on the dry side making the hops pop, moderate amount of carbonation and no hop oil astringancy.

O: An extremly flavorful and aromatic IPA, this is right up my ally for the style i enjoy the most. Not overly bitter or malty just focused on the aroma and flavor.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Truly delicious. A beautiful light burnt orange color and citrusy smell. Taste is similar - the citrus is there but not explosive. Wonderfully balanced by light malty backbone. Light, delicate mouthfeel. Feels like you could pour this back by the gallon. A pretty big IPA but one that you can drink everyday. Especially right for those hot summer afternoons.

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Before anything else- If you're a hophead and you have a chance to try this beer...DO IT!

Serving-From a can into a glass tumbler 'cause that's all the hotel had to offer

Appearance- Hazy orange with tints of deep gold at the center. A finger of white head.

Nose- Fruit punch. Grapefruit all the way. Some sort of other Dark Citrus.

Taste- This IPA is just awesome. The mouthfeel is perfect for this style. I first got grapefruit right off the bat. It's big. It's that sour-bitter citrus you want with an IPA. This is about as bitter and fruity as you want them to come. There is some pineapple essence in there as well as some papaya perhaps or other sort of tropical fruit. Surprisingly, with all those tropical notes she still finishes up solid with a great aftertaste- zesty pine. This is really weird to say but I actually got a taste of bubblegum in there somewhere, too. Seriously, this IPA has many good levels of flavor.

Overall- I don't claim to have tried all the "great" IPA's on the market. I have, however, devoted most of my Craft Beer journey to IPA's as that's my primary "go to." After trying this one I gotta say- top three by far. I'm partial to a local IPA which stands up against any of the great ones and I have another IPA that is ranked pretty darned high. But this one I think any true IPA lover will enjoy. It's so darned easy to drink, surprisingly for the high IBU's. Not for a recent convert from that yellow fizzy beer culture. Rather, for the die-hard hop-head or someone who wants to wake their tastebuds. Awesome!

4.54/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I have lowered my scores somewhat based on a slight soapy taste that I did not notice in the initial 4 pack. I have left my original comments below, and hope that future cans will not have that soapiness, and then I can just delete this intro and bump the scores back up. Still a great beer though.

Another 4 pack confirms the mild soapy taste, so it stays at a 4.5 overall. Can't complain.

Serving glass: Poured from can into Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Orange-amber with a huge off-white head that lasts and throws lacing all over the glass.

Smell: Very tropical with mango, pineapple, peach, berry and grapefruit.

Taste: I am sure there are malts here but it is all about the delicious, decadent hops. Mango, grapefruit, orange, peach, pineapple, berry and pine all make their presence known and somehow it really works. Very bitter but there are so many flavors that it is not overwhelming.

Feel: Creamy, smooth, somewhat full body with a very dry finish.

Overall: Every once in a while, a beer completely blows me away and changes my perceptions about a brewery. This is one of those times. The best new IPA I have had in years. Just holy shit.

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky tangerine with a off white head of about a finger and good lacing

smell is a little more faint then the last time I had this one a couple weeks ago, tropical and citrus, pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, piney and a wee bit out of caramel malty smells, maybe a little clementine in the finish

Taste is very good, pineapple, lemon, a lot of tropical and citrus, piney bitterness and grapefruit bitterness, really only a little malt in the flavor. Nicely bitter, which is to be expected at 110 IBUS

Mouthfeel is medium with light to average carbonation, drying finish.

Well Tallgrass is winning its place in my fridge with 8-bit and Ethos. It is sometimes hard to come by fresh in my area, as they distributed by the Bud distributor here.... This one is dated 9/19 on the bottom and looking at some other reviews that appears to be one the first cannings of this.

But I will grab it when I can at a decently fresh state! Good Stuff. Love the can art aswell.

4.52/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is my go to IPA. Been drinking at least a 4 pack a week for 3 years. Very Hoppy in smell and taste.

L - Darker Amber
S - Hops, Herbs
T - Lingering Hops Well balanced
F - Not as thick as a lot of IPAs, easy to drink
O - I try to buy local as much as possible and this is the best beer in the area that I have found so far, cans are also a big plus. I think this beer defines an IPA, but if I had to criticize it would be that sometimes on a hot day an IPA with a little more Citrus notes is better. If I rate a beer higher than Ethos, it must be good.

4.51/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Amberish orange with a foamy cream colored head. Soapy foam recedes to a chunky film. Good squiggly lines of lacing on glass.

Aroma: Really hoppy and piny. Spicy, piny wood. Faint sweetness, apricot.

Taste: Excellent pine, spruce, bitter grapefruit rind hoppiness. A touch of tropical fruit sweetness. Bitter finish, citric.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, dry.

Overall: Quite delicious, and tastes like I want an IPA to taste. Lots of pine, bitter hops, and just a touch of apricot. Highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

L: Pours hazy gold under a persistent 3” sticky white foam collar that slowly recedes. S: Fresh mown grass and light malt aromas. T: Rich malt flavors followed up by a nice hop punch with citrus and fruit showing up behind the grass. F: Medium body and carbonation. Creamy soft palate. O: A big, full flavored American IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

A home run of an IPA. It's delicious. Light, bright, delightfully unbalanced towards the hops. It's thick, rich, and solid. I bought a four pack a few days ago and loved it so much I went right through it, drove back to the store and bought some more. Great stuff.

4.49/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Slightly hazy gold, good head.

Smell: Good citrus aroma.

Taste: Juicy citrus, nice sweetness backed by moderate bitterness. Very tasty. Some breadiness supporting the hops, but dominated by hoppy goodness.

Overall: A really tasty IPA that's right on the border for a double IPA. Plenty of base to support the hops, and the hops shine through strongly. Really good stuff.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks again to Cyclone8! I'm glad I got a 4pk of this from Kevin, but now I know that it won't be enough ever

A - Dark wheat tone, slightly amber. Pours an awesome creamy head that balloons up to three fingers and hangs out for at least five minutes. After it subsides there is a nice solid white cap that covers the whole surface to the last sip

S - There are a lot of scents going on here: grass, weed, rich sweet caramel-y malts, cream, chalk, juicy hops that really have an awesome tropical fruit and citrus blend going on. You can almost smell the balance of the hops and malts. Slightly boozy tail end for 6.8%

T - Fruity hop oil blends very nicely with an almost peaty and caramel-y malt base. It is very balanced with some big hops and equally big malts. It has a long grassy hop finish. Delicious!

M - It feels light on the tongue along with being very drinkable this is a great combo. Can't hardly detect the alcohol on the palate or tongue.

Very well done, Tallgrass, KS is becoming an awesome beer state!

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hazy honey colored brew with a fluffy white head that retains well and produces some decent lacing.

The aroma is caramel malt, pine and citrus.

The taste is caramel malt, grapefruit and pine resin, nicely balanced.

Light/medium bodied, very easy to drink.

Overall a very nicely balanced and enjoyable IPA.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a Surly tulip glass. Can says drink by 09-19-13.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy copper amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Big four finger off white head with good retention. Leaves a lot of creamy lacing around the glass.

Smell:A nice sharp aroma of hops with lots of citrus fruit esters and some caramel malt. Good scent of ripe hops with earthy and floral hints of grass and some pine resin spice. Juicy citrus hop hints of grapefruit, orange pulp, tangerine, pineapple, mango, apricot, and lemon. Solid bready support of toasty malts with hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, and yeast. Smell is pretty hop forward, although its more in the Midwest style of IPA. Very good.

Taste: Lives up to the nose, a very solid hop forward taste with good notes of citrus, pine, and caramel malt. Ripe and chewy hops upfront with good floral and earthy notes with some grass and dank pine resin spice taste. Good juicy taste of citrus hop esters. Notes of grapefruit, oranges, mango, tangerine, pineapple, apricot, and lemon. Solid malt backing with bready notes of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, toast, and yeast. Very hop forward but the malt is not completely outdone. A very good taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Rich, chewy, creamy, and very juicy. Finishes pretty dry.

Overall: A very good IPA. Tallgrass really knocked it out of the park with this one. Great mix of hop esters and a solid malt backing.

4.38/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Yet another score from Binney's (South Side) in support of The CANQuest (TM)!

From the CAN: "110 IBUs". Well, now.

I have to mention what I assume is Ethiopian cave art as I have no ethics, nor do I give a spritz about ethnicity. I CAN be found in the ether. Either there or in the CAN.

The Crack revealed a brimful CAN that spritzed a little on my finger just to let me know how happy it was to see me. An inverted Glug later and I was off to the races, creating two-plus fingers of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a slightly hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of mandarin oranges and caramel. My mouth watered, my heart sped up and I was ready. Mouthfeel was slightly thin, perhaps accounting for the relatively low ABV, but the citrusy hops were like scrubbing bubbles on my tongue, stripping away the dead taste buds. The taste was very orangish, but 110 IBUs? Not one over 105! Man, this was eye-opening and in all new and different ways. The hops locked onto my tongue and refused to let go. Finish was semi-dry with the caramel maltiness kicking in to offset the intensity of the hops. Now, I was starting to feel it. Well done, Tallgrass!

4.34/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to think that Tallgrass is going to phase out their old IPA as this is brew really gives a balanced IPA. I pours some out to view it but I drank this bad boy right out of the can. It still holds up well sitting in a can koozie.
A-The old IPA did well here, the new one is even better. Great orange color with a big billowy white head-o-foam.
S-smells great out of the can, grassy and piney like a good IPA.
T-I was expecting big PIney hops here but this one has a good grassy balance. It also is a lingering brew so the flavor hangs around... Awesome!
M-I'll need to pour into a glass for a full review here but hey, it works right out of the can so I have to think a glass would work well too. Good feel, lingers, right amount of carbonation.
O-Tallgrass continues to brew beers that I like to keep around and revisit as they are unique and offer a slight twist on each style.
Check out the video for this beer on their website. It's a short intro to the name but it is fun. Love the graphics.

4.34/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

110 IBUs! Holy smokes!

This pours a clear tanned yellow/auburn with generous foaming.

For such an intensely hopped beer there’s not a wallop of an aroma as I had been expecting. The hops are there, definitely, but not on par with the IBUs. I get a light bit of pine and orange with some biscuit. The intensity comes across as I sip it, however. There’s a malty sweet finish which complements an intensely piney hop profile. It finishes with some pine and a nice heft without being heavy. This was a gift in trade from a buddy who raved about it. I can see why. Most enjoyable.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Boy this beer is classic in all the sense of the word. Looks, smells, tastes, feels and drinks like a perfect example of style.
Nice big rich off-white foamy head with great stamina. Slightly cloudy amber.
Really enjoyable hoppy aroma with really nice hop complexity (sweet, grassy, citrus) with a firm malt backing with hints of malty sweetness too. Yum!
Complex flavors and balanced so very well. Streaming bitterness running throughout and finishing off very flavorful and balances so well with another streak of malty sweetness which competes for what is more enjoyable. Just a slight push for hop excess, but doesn't (thankfully) quite get there, but enough to notice. Heavy laying on the tongue of hoppy goodness - sticky and yummy.
Fullness from carbonation in a moderate body. Chewiness from the hoppiness.
This is quite good. Not perfect but best example I've had in quite awhile.
Best by date of late Oct. and this is drinking as though it is quite fresh.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Really awesome orange gold color with a really billowy 3 fingers of white head that leaves a lot of lacing around the glass. A fair amount of carbonation coming off the bottom. Looks like a very hoppy IPA

S - Not a lot of that west coast hop character in the nose. Getting more of a floral and citrus character to it which is surprisingly with the IBU count on this. There is some faint orange and graperfruit but not a rind astringency famous in DIPAs. Getting some of those thicker bready notes from the malts. Smells pretty easy to drink let's see.

T - Follows the nose I am not getting hardly any of those hops mostly getting some of that dankness from the malts with some hop kick at the front of the tongue. There is a lot of people claiming to smell a lot more typical potent IPA flavors I am not tasting that. Some earthy dirt tastes as I have been known to say. I am getting some sweetness at the end of the pull that reminds me of a spring time IPA sort of flavor like Choc makes. A pretty average, easy drinking IPA for the amount of hops in this.

M - Medium bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. It's somewhat chewy but also has some creamy textures. Leaves a dry finish in your mouth that begs you to drink more.

O - The taste was only somewhat of a let down. As a big fan of Tallgrass and having had their original IPA I can tell you that this is a DRASTIC improvement. Not a west coast IPA that ruins your palate like I thought but light and florally with some nice elements that make this a nice summer session IPA. Well done Tallgrass!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 4.25 - murky red amber color, w finger of white head, great, lumpy lacing
S - 4.5 - grapefruit, pine, hoppy goodness, mango, banana, orange/lemon/lime zest.
T - 4.25 - grapefruit, citrus zest, bready malt in background.
M - 4.25 - light-medium mouthfeel, pine/citrus zest aftertaste, alc covered.
O - 4.25 - good beer, not amazing, but probably the best in the area (Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to okbeerlover for including this in our last trade!

Pours a clear bright orange with a thick white head that has good retention. Good lacing.

Aroma of grapefruit and resinous pine dominate the nose. Some dank notes coming through.

Lots of tropical fruit and grapefruit on the palate. Juicy, the hops are nicely balanced by a nice malt bill. Finishes dry. Very tasty.

Medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall, this is an extremely drinkable IPA. Well crafted, nice job Tallgrass! I'll be seeking this one out again!

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I sampled Ethos from Tallgrass canned in their pint cans. On pouring into an IPA glass, I was impressed with the thick, creamy head, but once the head was established I felt like the beer had little residual carbonation. Great initial grapefruit and citrus aroma. Despite the rich thick head, the beer had a somewhat thin mouthfeel. Overall, a very flavorful IPA. My only suggestions for improvement would be related to carbonation and mouthfeel.

4.29/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this poured out of a tallboy can into a pint glass. It is a very tasty and hoppy IPA. This is difficult to admit for a Jayhawk, but something very good has emerged from Manhattan, KS.

Ethos IPA from Tallgrass Brewing Company