Wild Plum Farmhouse Ale - Tallgrass Brewing Company

good

Tallgrass Brewing Company visit their website
Kansas, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: GuinnessSmurf on 07-12-2013)
1.75/5  rDev -51%

doucmehu, Oct 31, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -23%

Chucker17, Nov 01, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

I chilled my brightly colored can this weekend and cracked it open just before dinner. The beer smelled like a beer. Nothing special really popped out at me – maybe a little citrus twang. Poured into my glass, it was very heady and a nice light amber color with a fairly clear body. It still didn’t really smell much like anything more than a beer.

Both pro and retronasal, there wasn’t a lot of pop to a plum flavor, which when the beer advertises itself as a Wild Plum beer made with Fresh Picked Wild Plums… I kind of expect that plum flavor somewhere. I don’t know if it just got lost in the stronger yeast flavors of the beer, but I really couldn’t pick up any lick of plum. Maybe if I thought really hard about at the end. Maybe if I pictured a plum mentally while drinking it.

Overall, I wasn’t very impressed with this beer and I probably wouldn’t try it again. I would probably try it on tap if I were to ever find it, since I think that might be the only thing to make that distinct stone fruit flavor pop out.

I didn’t dislike it, I just didn’t like it. I’d pick it over a non-craft beer any day, but I was really hoping for more of that sweet, juicy plum on my tongue.

pourmeadrink, Oct 30, 2013

jzlyo, Aug 08, 2014

thufflife, Jun 19, 2014

AnthemOfTheSun, Jan 29, 2014
3.26/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured out of 16 oz. pounder into a tulip.

A: Light colored. With a tall white foamy head. With decent lacing.

S: Light & Fruity. More tart pear than plum.

T: Typical Farmhouse Ale. Sour with a nice dry finish.

M: Slight alcohol and Carbonated.

O: Name does not fit beer at all. Plume doesn't really ever show up. Don't get it if that's what your after. But like most Tall grass Beers its still very drinkable.

mrjbrown27, Dec 21, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Poured with a massive head of about three or four fingers which subsided but was present throughout. Sticky levels of lacing left behind with each drink. Above average active carbonation in the glass.

Smell: Light plums are on the front. The yeast presence is filled with spices, herbs, butter, dough, and leafy greens. Some sweet hoppy tones going on as well. The plums are present but play a supplementary role.

Taste: The plum sweetness and bright active yeast combine well on the front. There is a slightly artificial feeling on the body which leave an odd funk on the palate but it is nothing too distracting. The finish continues some of the earthy tones with some bright tropical fruit left behind.

Mouthfeel: Pretty easy going, buttery doughy feeling on the palate.

Overall: Probably a middle of the road saison. The plums are interesting but seem to get lost a little bit. I love a funky saison but this one is just a little artificial. I love what Tallgrass is doing though, keep it up.

KFBR392, Sep 01, 2013
3.44/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a snifter.

A - Orange - amber color. Some yeast sediment at the end gave it an opaque appearance. Thick, pillow-like pale white head with good retention. Usually think of darker colors, when I think of plums, but not getting that here.

S - Fruity and light. Not a strong odor. Not the funk you get with some Saisons.

T - Didn't really get any plum flavor. Nice pleasant mildly fruity flavor. Very east to drink. Refreshing. Would be a great summer beer.

M - Creamy head with nice small effervescent champagne bubbles. Dry on the finish.

A very good refreshing beer. I like the can... easily transportable to my favorite mountain bike destination. I think it would really hit the spot after about 15 miles of single track.

elmore, Jan 25, 2014