Chief Matsaysay Porter - Gilded Otter Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Gilded Otter Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Weissenheimer on 12-02-2003)
Reviews by sulldaddy:
sulldaddy

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

I had this brew on a recent visit with fellow BA Stopper. We sat at the bar for dinner. the beer arrived in a pint glass fairly cold and a creamy beige head of about 1cm. Aroma is dominated by roasted malt almost to the point of smokiness. A bit of sweet chocolate pokes around underneath too. No hop presence. First sip reveals a creamy smooth bodied beer with very fine gentle carbonation. Flavor starts sweet with chocolate up front and rolls to a bit of coffee then roasted malt which lingers and finishes with the strong roast profile and again hints of smoke that linger on the sides of my palate. I almost could see this beer being called a smoked porter even though I dont think that was the goal. I really enjoyed this beer and its nice mix of sweet and roast.

03-20-2007 12:43:30 | More by sulldaddy
TheJudge

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

I was pleased to see this when entering the bar to watch football. A big porter fan, I find not enough brewers making an effort to create a decent one. Well, they hit it right here.

A beautiful dark chocolate pour with a nice head, the aroma is simply wonderful. I sniffed several times before tasting, just to enjoy it. A nice balaced smell of coffee and chocolate malts came through the nose, and followed on the palate. Thick, but not overly so, it lingers in mouth long enough to appreciate but not so long that it covers the tongue. The head held for the entire pint, with nice lacing. Left a pleasant aftertaste, the strong malts balanced nicely with a decent hop finish.

I wished I had had the time to stay for many more.

01-17-2005 17:59:56 | More by TheJudge
pknyc

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

06-08-2013 20:05:10 | More by pknyc
Weissenheimer

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

I generally dislike porters. But hope springs eternal, and this was one of those very rare cases where it paid off for me in spades. I tried a taste, and immediately ordered a pint.

The pint was very pleasing to look at. It was a dark chocolate color, and the small tan head had the sheen of melted marshmallows. What it left on the glass as I drank it could not rightfully be called "lacing"; it was more like a near-solid foamy sheet. It lost a few points on the smell, which was nearly nonexistent. I caught a whiff of some roasted malts, but I had to
sniff pretty hard to do it!

I try to savor a beer when I'm having it for the first time, but the speed with which I finished this one indicates just how much I enjoyed it. It introduced itself in a bold but not overpowering creamy, sweet, chocolatey wave with some suggestions of caramel. The creaminess gave way graciously to a modestly tingly bitterness. On occasion I caught a tinge of nuttiness
and coffee in the finish.

Gosh, I love a good porter.

12-02-2003 02:26:52 | More by Weissenheimer
tgbljb

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Served as a virtually black beer with impressive tannish head.
Srrong notes of roased malt and bitter coffe pleasure the nose wiht some chocolate aspects also present.
Taste is also dominated by roasted malt, coffee, and bitter chocolate. And extraordinary mixture.
Fine finish with perfect taste retention. Some nice dark fruit sweetness also present.
A very flavorful porter. Great job with this beer.

10-14-2007 00:36:42 | More by tgbljb
cavedave

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%

It gets a nice, very light brown head, which gradually grows to a finger. This has the look of a stout, opaque and darkest brown and dense.

The aroma is a light/medium, very enticing, smell of caramel sweet, light breadiness, a hint of roast, other hints of tart. Nice. As it warms, some chocolate and herbal bitter join the party in my nose.

Man this has great taste. It starts with a hint of wine and a gush of roasty sweet. It is a complex malt bill, very well balanced, full of luscious flavors that perform a delicious symphony. Smooth roast and very light tart propel this, urging light chocolate notes, hints of coffee and buttery caramel into a finish that is juicy and delicious.

Nice low carb. and perfect attenuation for a porter highlight a tasty flavor profile and lead to a finish that is very good.

Drinkability is rated for a brightly flavored and refreshing porter that isn't world class complexity, but is delicous and easy drinking.

Impression: One of my two favorite Otter beers, glad I am finally reviewing it.

03-14-2011 21:46:52 | More by cavedave
francisweizen

Alaska

4.13/5  rDev -2.4%

A dark, nearly opaque liquid with a small/tight collar of khaki-coloured foam. Lacing also ensues as this brew drains from the pint glass. The aromas are all roasted malts and cocoa. The taste is similar with a light but awesome taste of coffee, roasty malts, and a bit of chocolate. Mouthfeel is medium-thick and drinkability is awesome. A very well-made American porter.

03-08-2005 16:16:12 | More by francisweizen
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.22/5  rDev -0.2%

Was presented with a dark brown/black with ruby hints in the light with a small coffee colored head which left nice lacing
smell was coffee and dark chocolate
taste followed the suit of the nose
mouthfeel was medium to light
drinkability this was a wonderful brew and tempted me with taking a growler home

04-03-2009 06:59:18 | More by sliverX
Chief Matsaysay Porter from Gilded Otter Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.