Imperial Mild - Chelsea Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Chelsea Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Barleywine |  10.90% ABV

(Beer added by: pnkermiz on 03-27-2008)
3.5/5  rDev n/a

4.33/5  rDev n/a

I had never heard of an Imperial Mild, seemed like an oxymoron but intrigued me, so I filled my Growler at Bierkraft in Brooklyn and sat down to drink half of it right there before leaving.
It poured a warm brown color without a substantial amount of head, like one might expect from a traditional English mild. The taste was full bodied and mildly sweet, but I did detect some heat from the alcohol at the end (however this does not bother me considering I am like my beers strong). I was very happy with this brew, an interesting combination, one I would definitely try agian.
I should note: I do not neccesarily agree with the Barlywine classification, does not quite fit in my opinion. It feels more like a strong American Ale I had at home in NH from White Birch a couple months ago (albeit american ale seems to be a catch all category).

3.55/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On cask at The Waterfront Ale House, Brooklyn, NYC.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger frothy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a soft malts, caramel and sweet apples.

The taste consisted of a moderately sweet malt, alcohol and McIntosh apple.

The mouthfeel was toward the lighter side of the style, smooth and warm.

Overall a good beer with decent drinkability. Not a barleywine however.

4/5  rDev n/a

Hazy reddish amber with a tight cap of cream coloured foam. Good head retention with some spotty lacing. The aroma was fruity, mostly oranges, and malty almost in equal proportion. Moderate bitterness with solid malt character, orange and caramel filling out the middle, then a quick finish with a flash of grassy hops. Medium to full bodied with lowish carbonation, smooth texture. Very easy drinking for a barleywine. Alcohol was almost completely hidden.

4.22/5  rDev n/a

Cask at Hop Devil Grill -

Beer poured an orange / copper color with very little head.

Aroma was very sweet, sweet fruits, malt.

Flavor was sweet malt, honey and anise.
Very sweet for a barley wine, but the flavor was unlike anything ive tried before, i really enojyed it overall..

4.25/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The full name of this beer is actually '1000 Gyle Imperial Mild'.

Pours a murky orange brown with a decent creme head. Nice amd smooth flavor. Even grain thing going on. There's what seems like a slight alcohol burn, but it's as pleasant a burn as I have ever had. Super smooth. Nice feel. Very drinkable.

2.23/5  rDev n/a

Bought a growler from the local growler-filling emporium. The gentleman filling the growler assured me that this beer had a 10%ABV, but drank like a 3.5% english mild.

::Pause::

::Reflect::

... suddenly, I remember my mother telling me that if something sounds too good to be true, that I probably shouldn't fill a growler with $12 worth of it.

In brief, imagine if Olde English 800 and Colt 45 had an ugly baby. BA is billing this beer as a Barleywine, but I believe anyone who samples this brew would be hard pressed to deny that this is little more than an expensive malt liquour. On the bright side, this beer has good clarity!

The nose is somewhat mild, although the nature of this beer does very little to mask the alcoholic aroma.

I know I'm supposed to review this beer on style, but, there aren't any other imperial milds. If there were, I suspect they'd also suck. As a barleywine, this is weak-sauce. Give me Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, a Great Divide Old Ruffian, or a Green Flash Barleywine, or Smuttynose, any of those are excellent, full-flavored brews that aren't easy-drinking, but are all unique and pleasing experiences for the palate.

Overall, this beer was like my prom night... it got my trashed, but was bitterly disappointing.

Imperial Mild from Chelsea Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.