Hopworks IPA - Hopworks Urban Brewery

pDev: 18%
Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 10-19-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopworks IPA Alström Bros
2.28/5  rDev -44.5%

A - Amber leaning toward yellow. Fluffy white head that disappears into nothing.
S - Not much here.
T - Not overly bitter, which is good, but it also doesn't balance out the bitterness is does have with sweetness. It lacks the citrusy hops I want in an IPA.
M - Thin and dry.
O - I won't be buying this one again.

2.49/5  rDev -39.4%

22 oz bottle courtesy of Aaron. Thank you! No freshness date...argh.

Pours a dehydrated yellow with a razor thin cover and some minimal soapy cling.

Smells, well, old. Yeast, crackers, and some soap. My sniffer tells me this may not be the freshest bottle. Either that or this is one weak smelling IPA.

Oregano and tin foil all over this beer. Sourdough bread, yeast of burden, and a finish of grass and leaves. Damn, this is disappointing. I had a buddy who'd frequent Portland often and he sang the praises of this beer. I sure don't see it. The metallic vibe is really distracting. What's up with this?

Distraction upon distraction upon a vain attempt to understand.

Please, please say this is an old bottle. Then again, why would I be happy drinking that?

3.07/5  rDev -25.3%

A: gorgeous crystal clear orange amber with a tall white head that falls to a lacy white ring

S: althought this beer has a reputation for a huge citrous presence, I am not getting a lot of that - hops seem more grassy and muted more than anything else

T: relatively malty balance for an IPA - hops are coming through at the end with some grapefruit and a clean bitter finish

M: med-full mouthfeel and just a bit warm - especially warm for the style

O: I'm really wondering how what I'm drinking matches up to what I've read about this beer - the comments and reviews by others seem all over the map (cloudy vs clear, hoppy vs malty, big vs little etc). I think this is a decent IPA, sort of middle of the road in most respects, balanced towards malt, and it seems much warmer than I'd expect from 6.6% ABV. Enjoyable, and with a very nice presentation, I'd be happy to drink a few of these.

3.16/5  rDev -23.1%

I'm big on IPA's (like many) and this time around I was less impressed than when I had it a year ago while dining at their brewpub in Portland, OR.

Definitely taste the pine in this IPA, perhaps from the Amarillo hops it has. Certainly a very serviceable IPA. A year ago I really enjoyed this beer on draft at the brewpub, but then again, pretty much all beer tastes better on draft at the brewpub.

There is a nice balance of hops here without much sweetness. Overall I like it a lot, but there are others I'd choose over this if the choice were there.

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz poured to tulip

Pours a hazy amber. 1 finger of head disappears immediately. Hop particles, I assume, left in the bottom of the bottle

Faint citrusy aroma

First note is kind of grassy, Rounds out with a full sweetness and orange and sugar cookie. Decent bitterness and some resiny pine hiding in the aftertaste

Seems a little slick on mouthfeel... more carbonation would help

Overall: I really wanted to love this beer, but none of the elements struck me as outstanding. Head / head retention is an issue for me, and the initial grassy hit in the flavor is overpowering

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle, unsure on date. Nothing quite matches up with what I see on the Fresh Beer Only site...no hashmarks or printed date. Served at around 40F.

Pours lightly hazy orange/amber with a two finger off-white head that leaves some sheets and spots of lacing behind and holds a small foamy cap.

Aroma is floral, some orange marmalade and apricot, hint of onion, good bit of bread and toast, a little caramel malt. Mild strength but gets stronger as it warms.

Flavor is orange/tangerine citrus, a bit of grapefruit rind, some apricot, some melon, bready/cracker malt in the middle with a hint of caramel, minute sweetness, solid bitterness and a bit of alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, somewhat oily, a touch sticky, good carbonation.

Pretty good IPA, but has its faults. Juicy hops in the flavor, average aroma that is kind of weird...toast, orange marmalade and onions...an odd combination. Flavor is nice, though.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Light golden amber with slight off-white head, minimal lacing
S- Cooling wet pine, slight tart lime, fresh cut grass
T- Cooling refreshing pine is dominant here with a grassy sunshine finish, very assertive
M- A Little under carbonated, good malt body though
O- A little too over assertive on the piney/ grassy flavors and very little citrus backbone

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

pours a semi-cloudy light amber with a small off-white head, and good lacing.

smell is of caramel, malt, hops, and citrus.

taste is creamy, malt, some lemon, some hops, a light organic back, caramel, and a few nuts, ends somewhat on the bitter side.

3.46/5  rDev -15.8%

650ml bottle. Love organic beer in bottles, keep it coming.

It pours a medium amberish gold. It is clear with some nice carbonation bubbles and a foamy white head.

The smell isn't what I would expect form a brewery called "Hopworks" Comon, I wanna be facefucked by hops. It has some hops in the smell in with light herbal citrus but it is mostly bready almost toasty malts and sugar.

The flavor is nice but again I'm not getting totally mouthfucked by hops but this is a nice upgrade from the aroma. It has a medium bitterness. Nice grassy almost spicy notes, some pine, grapefruit rind, lemon.

It is a good NW style IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a clear, dark golden amber; didn’t get much of a head, but this was a glass that had sat out for a bit. Aroma is seriously hoppy with a strong grapefruit undertone. Hoppy, piny flavor has a hint of sour citrus, mainly grapefruit with a touch of orange. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth and farly fizzy, and hoppy, grapefruit finish is slightly bitter.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

(draft, Hopworks Brewery, Portland 7/11)) vaguely cloudy, moderately bitter throughout, pretty solid IPA. Wish I had more time at this brewery.

IPX Single Hop; SImcoe (favorable)

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint.

A: Clear, pale amber color with a thick, persistent residue of off-white (yellowish) foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Moderate grapefruit citrus and faint caramel that struggles to be noticed.

T: Begins with spicy and floral hop aromatics balanced by off-dry, weak toasty malt. Flavors become more focused on grapefruit citrus and fruity esters as astringent bitterness rises and lingers.

M: Light-medium viscosity is sticky on the palate with moderate carbonation. Astringency issues are present but do not overpower the experience.

D: This organic IPA stands out among its green fellows of the style, which are all too often found to be glaringly lacking in some way. This contribution demonstrates balance in a style that is well-known for eschewing it, satisfying a useful reference point for balance among its peers--organic or not. While this beer was overshadowed on a tasting flight at the pub by a seasonal DIPA, a solitary bottle now allows it to assert itself as a worthy Oregon IPA that could bear repeat visits.

3.56/5  rDev -13.4%

22oz bottle poured into a bells tulip

A: Pours a hazy amber yellow with a nice 2finger white head. Minimal head retention with excellent lacing.

S: Some hops (pine/resin), sweet malts and something I can't put my finger on. Kinda funky smelling. Maybe a hint of citrus.

T: Hops up front with a smooth malt middle and a slightly dry finish.

M: Medium body with Medium Carbonation.

O: I was expecting more. This bottle is a ~2months old, I imagine the flavors would be more profound if said bottler were newer. In it's current state, it is still very drinkable.

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

55th Review
Bottle to proper pint

From notes. Shared as part of bspringer's Golden Birthday Bash the Wednesday of GABF week 2011. Thanks to whomever sent this as an extra!

A: Glowing orange. Half finger nail (frothy white) head on gentle pour.

S: Citrus hops. Hint of pine. Hops...lots of them.

T: More hops (go figure). Balanced pine, wood, and grass. Missing bitterness though. Sad

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Frothy and smooth - just like I want all my IPAs to be. This was the most enjoyable aspect of this beer for me.

O: An alright IPA; however, I am curious to know if this one sat too long. I could not find a freshness date, but am thinking I would have enjoyed it more had it been fresh. I will seek it out again at some point in the future. Maybe next time I visit the lovely town of PDX!

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%

Super aggressive pour give me a two finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is pretty much completely white, which is a little surprising for an IPA, usually the head has a tiny tiny bit of color to it. The head has a lot of big bubbles, probably due to the aggressive pour (but it's not my fault that they made a stingy beer, when pouring head). The head does seem a little creamy underneath the big bubbles though, my main reason for thinking that is because it looks like it's giving pretty darn good lacing, but we'll see how that goes throughout the beer. Head retention is decent, it hasn't gone completely away, but it's less than a finger now. The body is a little cloudy, and a little bit dark, but I can still see a decent amount of things on the other side of the glass. The body is a dark orange with some hints of yellow, pretty standard IPA appearance. Overall I like the look of this beer, pretty standard for a Hopworks beer, good lacing, good body, ok head. The head is pretty much gone now, but like with all the other Hopworks beers, it's left some foam on top of the body. We'll see how the lacing goes, but for now it's a good looking beer. The first thing I notice on the smell is citrus, sure there is a decent amount of hops and a somewhat good amount of malts as well, but the citrus, MAN! I usually don't even notice citrus or pine or any of those sub-flavors, that well, but this is very clear to me. It almost smelled like orange juice to me, that's how acidic it smells. I just hope this beer isn't too acidic, it'll be good if they didn't overdo it there, but from my experience Hopworks doesn't overdo anything, which is good. I'm not getting much else other than the citrus, hops, and malts. Pretty standard smell, but not bad at all. Interesting IPA, but at the same time pretty darn standard. I get a fair amount of hops, and a good amount of malts, not much in the way of citrus, so I guess my nose was wrong. They didn't skimp out on the hops, which is good, it's an IPA, it should be hoppy. It's a good tasting beer, and there isn't too much wrong with it, but it's just not really that amazing, at all, nothing to write home about, at all. There is one things that is bad about the taste, and that's the water, it tastes somewhat watered down. This leads me right into the mouthfeel, the flavor is a little watered down, and so is the mouthfeel. There is a tiny bit of a bite on this beer, but for the most part it's very dull and not much carbonation or crisp feeling whatsoever. I guess the body itself is big enough for the style, but that watery feeling really isn't helping. I mean overall the taste is just way too boring and a little watered down. It's not a bad taste, it's good, just very average. Same with the mouthfeel, except even more so with the mouthfeel, because at least the taste has hops and malts to make it interesting, the mouthfeel is just super boring, not bite at all, super low carbonation, and not much bite from the hops. The drinkability is very nice, it's a very session able IPA due to the fact that it's watered down, but...I don't really think an IPA should be session able, that's what pale ales are for. Overall it's not a bad beer, it's easy drinking and it tastes good, it's just...why buy this when I can buy a really awesome IPA? I guess if I want something to sip on a hot day this would do the trick, but as for sitting down and really enjoying every bit of a beer, this isn't cutting it for me. Overall good beer, but very average in a LOT of areas.

The lacing turned out to be not that great, only 1/3 of the top of the glass gave me good lacing, the rest of the entire glass was pretty dang patchy. I'll give it a 4 on appearance, just because it's right in between a 3.5 and a 4.

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tried this one on cask.
Served in a HUB mug... not ideal.
It's golden, with some red. Small white head.
Nose is hops and pine. Simple but nice.
Taste is more straightforward pine hops. Bit of malt.
Good mouthfeel and drinkability.
Overall a simple but well done IPA.

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: A hazy deep almost mustard yellow body with a one finger head that quickly dissipates.

S: Very bready and malty in the front of the beer with some dank bitterness in the back.

T: There is a sharp bitterness in the front. There is some citrus flavors in the hop character but the best way I can describe it is grass-like. The malt is very mild and has very subtle caramel qualities to it.

M: Good body with maybe too much carbonation.

O: It is an average IPA. Nothing special here.

3.63/5  rDev -11.7%

22 oz. bomber

a - pours a bright golden amber color, one-inch ivory head with great retention and lacing, some haze

s - piney hop resin, grapefruit and orange abound in the aroma, slight hints of sweet malt in the background, light alcohol heat

t - like the aroma, big flavors of pine resin and grapefruit up front, light malt backbone in the midpalate lends some depth to the hops, finish is quite bitter and dry, if not somewhat short-lived, alcohol is not very noticeable

m - medium-to-light bodied, on the higher side of carbonation, very dry finish, light alcohol warmth

d - pretty intensely bitter and harsh on the palate, but there is some depth to the flavors, can't say I'd want to drink more than this one bomber, but slightly above average for the style

Slightly disappointed in this IPA that I've been wanting to try for awhile, but I had pretty high expectations. Overall, a decent but not great IPA. I hope to try this on-tap somewhere here in Portland before leaving just to compare, as there's no dating on this bottle and I fear that it might be a bit old.

3.64/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours a decent amount of head that, at the moment seems to have pretty good retention. The head is almost a pure cotton white (just a little off-white) while the body is a little more than medium amber and is a pale amber when held up to the light. Good amount of lacing has already been left behind.

Nose- This is much more muted from the glass than from the can. The can throws up citrus (some orange and lemon) but mostly grapefruit with hints of spice and tropical fruit. Some pine and resin in the background as well. Swirling shows some orange, lemon, even a little bit of white grape.

Taste- Starts off with hints of citrus which quickly get bullied by woody bitterness that contains hints of pine, resin, and spice. Lots of matchstick and grapefruit. Noticeable caramel which combined with the matchstick tastes a little burnt. This is a beer that I used to drink quite a bit and I don't remember it as being as bold. Certainly has a lot of presence which may not be entirely positive. Some tropical fruit but still a lot of matchstick on the finish. A little bit of linger to it. Lots more earwax on the linger in the back of my throat. I still find it enjoyable but it is more of the traditional West Coast IPA that I've become somewhat bored with. Good beer and solid; it simply has so much competition as an IPA. I also think drinking it from the can mellows it slightly by muting the matchstick and hoppy bitterness while highlighting some of the caramel. Hopheads will appreciate this beer.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied. A slight bit of syrup to the texture. A little over carbonated.

Drinkability- If the hoppy bitterness were more rounded, this would be a lot more easygoing. Pretty easygoing despite that but now I'm rethinking the price point. This is reasonable at 4 bucks a pint at a bar but at 2.50 a pounder? I don't really think so. Bring on the year round Sucks and I won't even have to think about it.

Overall- Good. Solid. Not as good as I remember it though. Part of that is nostalgia, part of that is being burnt out on IPAs. Still worth a try. And I can see myself buying this again.

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

poured from bomber into a pint glass. Pours a medium orange color with a nice head.

Nice floral aromas along with hops and navel oranges. Very good aromatics with nice depth.

Medium bodied, but lacking some depth and a bit hollow along with flavors of oranges, grains and some hops.

A solid IPA, but a bit disappointing. I had high hopes for this, but it just lacked a bit of body and flavor

3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

Received in a recent trade. Top 50 IPA, nice.

Beer is brown and mostly clear with moderate carbonation but a lazy head, low lacing.

Aroma is grainy, not malty, mild earthiness from the hops.

Beer is medium in body and wet on the palate. There is a slight hop flavor at lead off then this earthy / sulfury / grassy midpalate to the beer that is a little off putting finishing up with a moderately bitter but slightly dry finish followed by a grainy aftertaste. Not the best IPA I've had by a long shot but it was OK overall. I won't go out of my way to have it again but perhaps one day when I'm in Oregon with my family I can grab a pint on draft.

3.66/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle into Unibroue glass. Not sure when bottle as I could not find date.

Appearance: 4.5
Golden orange body with slight haze. White-orange tinted head that fades into a thin surface covering. Great lacing.

Smell: 3.5
Mild citrus aroma of grapefruit/orange with notes of pine too. Pleasant, but too subdued for my liking. Touch of bready malt also present.

Taste: 3.5
Classic moderate bitterness in citrus and piney flavors of hops. Balanced nicely with crystal, biscuit malt presence. But I find the beer a little bland and boring compare to the many other IPAs I've had. I suspect this is may be the result of aging and hops fade, but I cannot confirm. I do anticipate a much more robust flavor profile if had extremely fresh.

Mouthfeel: 3.5
Smooth, but thinner than I'd like. Mild Carbonation. Moderate astringency from hops, countered nice by sweet feel of malt.

Overall: 4
A nice IPA because it is very well balance and still quite drinkable. But I find it doesn't do much to stand out among the many of other IPA available. Recommend trying once if fresh.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Another beer from the legendary woodychandler. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is hoppy, some citrus. Taste is hops, bitter, a bit of citrus, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Very little haze, light coppery color with a good 1/2" of dense head formation. sporadic lacing.

S: strong citrus, grapefruit, mild maltiness, a little earthy and grass on the back end.

T: Highly hoppy up front, although not overly bitter. earthy aftertaste, slightly grassy. I don't know...not much complexity here.

M: medium bodied, smooth, carbonation on the lower side.

D: Not a bad beer. easy going down. I know HUB is fairly popular and gaining popularity, but something about their flavor profile (their yeast) is just not my thing.

3.7/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

This beer pours out a hazy orange color with two fingers of head. The aroma is a nice mix of grapefruit and piney hops, with just a touch of that "dank" feel. The taste is nicely piney hoppy at first, but there's a touch of sharp metallic taste in the middle between the smooth, biscuity malts that throws things off the rails a bit here. I poured my second serving into a different glass in case it was a sanitation error on my part, but nope, there was a strong metallic taste. The metallic taste was amplified even further from the bottle. Perhaps a sanitation error at the brewery? It's still better than a lot of beers I've had, but it is a bit offputting.

That said, the drinkability is quite good. Maybe it was me trying to pin-point the metallic taste, but this beer went down very fast. It's a shame that there's an obvious problem with the bottle I got, since this is probably a very good beer otherwise. As it stands though, it's still a pretty good beer. I'd still recommend it.

Hopworks IPA from Hopworks Urban Brewery