Hopworks IPA - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Hopworks IPAHopworks IPA

Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

(Beer added by: John_M on 10-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hopworks IPA Alström Bros

switzer, Jan 18, 2014

Smurple, Thursday at 06:29 AM
3.52/5  rDev -14.8%

Rmbuns, Sep 08, 2014
3.55/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint.

A: Clear, pale amber color with a thick, persistent residue of off-white (yellowish) foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Moderate grapefruit citrus and faint caramel that struggles to be noticed.

T: Begins with spicy and floral hop aromatics balanced by off-dry, weak toasty malt. Flavors become more focused on grapefruit citrus and fruity esters as astringent bitterness rises and lingers.

M: Light-medium viscosity is sticky on the palate with moderate carbonation. Astringency issues are present but do not overpower the experience.

D: This organic IPA stands out among its green fellows of the style, which are all too often found to be glaringly lacking in some way. This contribution demonstrates balance in a style that is well-known for eschewing it, satisfying a useful reference point for balance among its peers--organic or not. While this beer was overshadowed on a tasting flight at the pub by a seasonal DIPA, a solitary bottle now allows it to assert itself as a worthy Oregon IPA that could bear repeat visits.

beagle75, Sep 05, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Super aggressive pour give me a two finger head into my standard pint glass. The head is pretty much completely white, which is a little surprising for an IPA, usually the head has a tiny tiny bit of color to it. The head has a lot of big bubbles, probably due to the aggressive pour (but it's not my fault that they made a stingy beer, when pouring head). The head does seem a little creamy underneath the big bubbles though, my main reason for thinking that is because it looks like it's giving pretty darn good lacing, but we'll see how that goes throughout the beer. Head retention is decent, it hasn't gone completely away, but it's less than a finger now. The body is a little cloudy, and a little bit dark, but I can still see a decent amount of things on the other side of the glass. The body is a dark orange with some hints of yellow, pretty standard IPA appearance. Overall I like the look of this beer, pretty standard for a Hopworks beer, good lacing, good body, ok head. The head is pretty much gone now, but like with all the other Hopworks beers, it's left some foam on top of the body. We'll see how the lacing goes, but for now it's a good looking beer. The first thing I notice on the smell is citrus, sure there is a decent amount of hops and a somewhat good amount of malts as well, but the citrus, MAN! I usually don't even notice citrus or pine or any of those sub-flavors, that well, but this is very clear to me. It almost smelled like orange juice to me, that's how acidic it smells. I just hope this beer isn't too acidic, it'll be good if they didn't overdo it there, but from my experience Hopworks doesn't overdo anything, which is good. I'm not getting much else other than the citrus, hops, and malts. Pretty standard smell, but not bad at all. Interesting IPA, but at the same time pretty darn standard. I get a fair amount of hops, and a good amount of malts, not much in the way of citrus, so I guess my nose was wrong. They didn't skimp out on the hops, which is good, it's an IPA, it should be hoppy. It's a good tasting beer, and there isn't too much wrong with it, but it's just not really that amazing, at all, nothing to write home about, at all. There is one things that is bad about the taste, and that's the water, it tastes somewhat watered down. This leads me right into the mouthfeel, the flavor is a little watered down, and so is the mouthfeel. There is a tiny bit of a bite on this beer, but for the most part it's very dull and not much carbonation or crisp feeling whatsoever. I guess the body itself is big enough for the style, but that watery feeling really isn't helping. I mean overall the taste is just way too boring and a little watered down. It's not a bad taste, it's good, just very average. Same with the mouthfeel, except even more so with the mouthfeel, because at least the taste has hops and malts to make it interesting, the mouthfeel is just super boring, not bite at all, super low carbonation, and not much bite from the hops. The drinkability is very nice, it's a very session able IPA due to the fact that it's watered down, but...I don't really think an IPA should be session able, that's what pale ales are for. Overall it's not a bad beer, it's easy drinking and it tastes good, it's just...why buy this when I can buy a really awesome IPA? I guess if I want something to sip on a hot day this would do the trick, but as for sitting down and really enjoying every bit of a beer, this isn't cutting it for me. Overall good beer, but very average in a LOT of areas.

The lacing turned out to be not that great, only 1/3 of the top of the glass gave me good lacing, the rest of the entire glass was pretty dang patchy. I'll give it a 4 on appearance, just because it's right in between a 3.5 and a 4.

MaltsOfGlory, Aug 15, 2011

55th Review
Bottle to proper pint

From notes. Shared as part of bspringer's Golden Birthday Bash the Wednesday of GABF week 2011. Thanks to whomever sent this as an extra!

A: Glowing orange. Half finger nail (frothy white) head on gentle pour.

S: Citrus hops. Hint of pine. Hops...lots of them.

T: More hops (go figure). Balanced pine, wood, and grass. Missing bitterness though. Sad

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Frothy and smooth - just like I want all my IPAs to be. This was the most enjoyable aspect of this beer for me.

O: An alright IPA; however, I am curious to know if this one sat too long. I could not find a freshness date, but am thinking I would have enjoyed it more had it been fresh. I will seek it out again at some point in the future. Maybe next time I visit the lovely town of PDX!

spdyfire83, Dec 06, 2011

22oz bottle poured into a bells tulip

A: Pours a hazy amber yellow with a nice 2finger white head. Minimal head retention with excellent lacing.

S: Some hops (pine/resin), sweet malts and something I can't put my finger on. Kinda funky smelling. Maybe a hint of citrus.

T: Hops up front with a smooth malt middle and a slightly dry finish.

M: Medium body with Medium Carbonation.

O: I was expecting more. This bottle is a ~2months old, I imagine the flavors would be more profound if said bottler were newer. In it's current state, it is still very drinkable.

WesM63, Jun 01, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -12.8%

22 oz. bomber

a - pours a bright golden amber color, one-inch ivory head with great retention and lacing, some haze

s - piney hop resin, grapefruit and orange abound in the aroma, slight hints of sweet malt in the background, light alcohol heat

t - like the aroma, big flavors of pine resin and grapefruit up front, light malt backbone in the midpalate lends some depth to the hops, finish is quite bitter and dry, if not somewhat short-lived, alcohol is not very noticeable

m - medium-to-light bodied, on the higher side of carbonation, very dry finish, light alcohol warmth

d - pretty intensely bitter and harsh on the palate, but there is some depth to the flavors, can't say I'd want to drink more than this one bomber, but slightly above average for the style

Slightly disappointed in this IPA that I've been wanting to try for awhile, but I had pretty high expectations. Overall, a decent but not great IPA. I hope to try this on-tap somewhere here in Portland before leaving just to compare, as there's no dating on this bottle and I fear that it might be a bit old.

WeisGuy, Jul 11, 2010