HUB Lager - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Czech Pilsener |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: msubulldog25 on 03-25-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.8/5  rDev 0%

had this on tap at Hopworks. Pours a real nice clear straw color with a small head.

Balanced with real nice aromas of grains, crackers and some hop aromas as well.

Very smooth and complete feel with good flavors of grains, biscuits and a touch of hops.

This was a real quality pilsner. It was very smooth and had a real nice subtle take to it.

4.66/5  rDev +22.6%

This is one of those eureka beers for me.

Pale, straw color indicative of the predominant pilsner malt. Aroma is grainy with hints of noble hop spice. Flavor is crisp, bready, balanced by assertive yet restrained hop bitterness. Goes down easy and quickly and finishes dry, begging you for more.

I can't say enough good things about this beer. It takes a special kind of American brewery to concoct a classic German style as impeccable as this.

2.53/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First had: on tap at HUB, Portland, OR

My normal initial description of a beer like this is: "it's a lager," or "it's a pilsner." And yep, that's what this was. Poured a clear straw-yellow color with a thin, wispy head, active carbonation. Cereal grain and light corn notes in the aroma, tiny bit of herbal hops. Light and crisp on the palate, tastes of grains, light herbal hops, and a touch of honey sweetness. Light body, goes down very easily. Good for the less adventurous and/or those who like the style in general I suppose, but it's really not my thing.

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap at HUB in Portland, OR. Poured a straw yellow color that was very clear, with a thin white head that receded and left minimal spotty lacing and a ring of bubbles. Had an aroma of grains and sweet malts. Tasted of malt sugar, grains and wheat...pretty typical of the style.

Light bodied and smooth. Moderate carbonation. EXTREMELY sessionable, but obviously you need to be a fan of the style. For me it is too one dimensional, but this beer is still well made and I enjoyed the taster that I had.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

I personally love this beer, its my favorite Czech pils on this side of the Atlantic. It is unique in respect that the after taste is extremely malty and warm. I wish they bottled it so I wouldn't have to eat at a restaurant to enjoy it. The color is golden and the mouthfeel is full. If only it wasn't a sessions grade abv, I can't drink enough of it to get a nice buzz.

3.91/5  rDev +2.9%

Clear straw colour with a smooth, white head. Good head retention.

Light grainy aroma with a very mild herbal hop character. Good.

Smooth and slightly grainy. Just a hint of sweetness. nice crisp hoppy finish.

Light body with a moderately high carbonation. Good and suitably crisp.

A really, solid, easy drinking session lager with great flavour.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

On draught at HUB, their pils is gold with lazy bubbles forming a white collar.

Smell is faint, sweet cereals, light herbs.

Taste is malt forward, a very clean breadiness, with a bit of a herbal, and less so citrus quality to the hops. Full flavored but in a clean, balanced, way, an exceptional lager for sure.

Mouthfeel is dry, a sharp crispness, light body.

Drinkability is high, this is a very tasty brew, a great session beer for a hot day.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

On tap at the brewery. A Bohemian Pilsner.

A: Perfectly pellucid vibrant burnished straw golden with a small frothy head. Not a good pilsner glass or a proper pour so I can't judge the head.

S: Big Saaz bouquet with floral and grassy notes. Malt is rich and complex. Diacetyl is light. Subtle lemon notes are evident. A bit too much fruit for the style.

T: Assertive noble hop bitterness with and some rich malt. Tasty, with a touch of diacetyl and some grassy notes. The fruity lemon esters are a bit out of place, but doesn't hurt too much. Finish is crisp and dry, though not quite clean enough.

M: Light body, upper moderate carbonation, dry and crisp mouthfeel.

Overall: A nice, enjoyable Czech Pilsner. Definitely worth a try, the only real fault I found was that the fruit esters were too strong for the style.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Poured a clear light golden color with good carbonationa nd a small white head

S: Some honey, light dose of hops, floral, sweet cornperhaps some corn

T: Has a nice fresh, crisp taste, floral notes and some honey

M: Crisp, light, frefreshing

D: Very easy and pleasure to drink

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at HUB 7/21/2010, poured into 16 oz. stein.

One finger white head, medium dissipation with significant lacing. Deep gold body, numerous streams of carbonation risiing from the bottom of the glass. Sweetish nose balanced with dryish (Pilsener) malts, floral hops, aroma very close to style. Taste is quite well balanced, a bit sweet but not too much, floral and grassy hops against the above malt profile. Medium mouthfeel, good effervescence, exceptionally clean finsih. Really drinkabile, quite a nice tasting Pilsener.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Had a pint at the Horse Brass with friends. Man this is a heck of a beer. I certainly wouldn't mind having a liter-stein of it. There's a soft, bready malt character with very mild hints of spice and vanilla. There's also a note or toast and a little citrus. The beer is dry and super drinkable, and frankly, I'm glad I have the self-control to move along.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

served on tap at the brewery out of their standard iconic mugs

appearance - pours golden with transparency, solid white head, frothy

smell - bready and sweet nose

taste - bready malts dominate and are balanced by some sweetness

mouthfeel - a light and characteristic body

drinkability - this one is one of HUB's easier beers to down, due to the low abv

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pretty ordinary beer here. Doesn't have that nasty metallic note those fake American lagers have. No rice here!

Very clear yellow color... pretty ordinary. Smells good, some mild hop hints, clean fruitiness. Good flavor, more flavor than I first expected. Still a little thin (it IS a lager). Very balance, drinkable, and has good abv for how drinkable it is. Good stuff though I won't be buying a bottle at the market! I would spend my money on the IPA or 7 Grain Stout

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: bright clear golden straw, light white head, leaves limited lacing.

Aroma: grassy and spicy with hop and cereal grain notes.

Taste: Delicious. The server mentioned this recently beat out Pilsner Urquell at the World Beer Cup, and I can see why. It's got delightful earthy spicy hoppiness, with a tiny touch of fruitiness, and a notable but not problematic sweetness. Delicious.

Mouth: thin and clean, with a sprightly carbonation.

Overall: delicious. Time for my confession: I hate Czech pilsner as a style. I mean, really. I've had fresh PU, Czechvar, and Zatec on tap and in bottles (all but the Zatec) and I just don't like the style. Too clean, often too much graininess, and it's just not a style I like. But I gobbled this down. Delicious.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

I'm not a die-hard HUB fan like some, yet appreciate what they're doing and love some of their beers. I really want to like this one... and love the fact that they're doing a solid Czech lager, but it just doesn't quite pull together for me.

it pours a nice light golden straw color with an almost-lemony thick and bubbly head, with light lacing.

There are some definite hop notes in the aroma, with some spices (pepper, clove, chicory) and some pleasant grassy notes.

Taste is definitely hoppy. The spiciness of the Saaz is pretty apparent and almost steal the show by bashing you in the face before you know what happens. The spices and grassy flavors come back subtly, but after the hop kick, it's a bit hard for me to get past it. I wanted a bit more of the toasty, grainy notes to come through and balance.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, with a bit of spicy carbonation thrown in there just incase it wasn't crisp enough. It drinks well and is very palatable.

Very drinkable. It's crisp and refreshing. I'll give it that. It's just not quite what I was anticipating, and every time, it catches me off guard just a bit. It's a solid lager that's obviously brewed well - it just doesn't quite pluck my heart strings as much as some other HUB brews (or other Czech lagers, at that) tend to do. Although given how well it's put together, I can't rightfully not recommend trying it. There's some cool stuff going on in the glass.

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

Okay, so its a lager, yawn. Its a czech pils, yawn again. It's got a boring name even!

But i'll be damned, a really quality brew!
Golden with a creamy head.

Springy grass and cholorphyl aroma. Noble hop twang. Malt is light and bready, some wildflower honey sweetness.

Faily light body, but a nice full taste. All of the above aromas are in the taste. Grains are just barely roasty, and the hops are crisp, though the mouthfeel isn't necessarily crisp, a bit chewy actually.

A real nice pilsner, huzzah!

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

The latest offering on my home system, I figured a pilsner would be perfect for the warm weather of June. Pours a rich golden color, topped by a tall, stark white head that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Aroma of spicy European hops and mild, bready malt, with a hint of biscuit flavor lingering in the background. Palate is a tasty, well-integrated blend of floral hops and light pilsner malt. Lightly sweet, biscuity notes and a hint of white pepper. Body is substantial, a bit thicker than most traditional pilsners, but still very pleasant. This highly drinkable lager is a wonderful, easy-drinking summer thirst-quencher.

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Hopworks is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots in Portland. With beer like their HUB Lager, it's an easy choice to come back.

I agree with MSUBulldog's assessment -- an unassuming name for a really quality brew. I've been drinking more lagers recently, and lagers like this are redeeming the damage done to my tastes by mass produced lagers.

A beautiful beer in the mug. Gleaming golden in color with a substantial, long-lasting white cap that leaves a little lacing. I took my time drinking this beer, and little carbonation bubbles constantly streamed up from the base until the end... a cool visual effect.

Aromas show off the hops, listed as "whole flower Czech Saaz" hops on their website. Lots of spice, some grass, and a little bit of malty sweetness.

More flavor going on for this style of beer that I've ever had. Hops are still evident, but the malts really take the lead. The lightly roasted grains are so full and prevailing that it has a nutritious whole-grain flavor. Agreeing again with MSUBulldog on the "bread dough" taste. Flavors linger long and finish full. Not a crisp, light feel beer that I normally associate with the style, but it works and I'm not complaining.

Even as this beer warmed up it continued to be delicious. Highly recommended. Props to Hopworks for crafting a really good organic lager.

3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Even before Hopworks opened its doors as a working brewpub, this hearty golden lager had already earned a silver medal at the World Beer Cup in 2007. It is an impeccably clear brew of warm yellow with a brilliant white head. Its assertive flavor has the character of oven-roasted grains with a more enhanced hop presence than expected.

As with most HUB beers, the Lager is brewed with organic ingredients. The smell has an oddly appealing marshmallow punkiness with a grain of sugar to it. Saaz hops lend considerable spice, especially in the tail where the crisp finish I kept hoping for never arrived. Instead, the beer hung heavy on the tongue.

Still, the bold, captivating flavor and overall drinkability easily won me over. And it's a no-brainer with any item on the house food menu.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

Service Temperature, 40 degrees. Service Glassware, 3oz Shot Glass.

Pale and clear but with a medium white foamy head, that finishes with strong lace.

The nose, is sweet with some dryness wafted by a slight pine.

Taste, is hop dryness of the backend that has a nice strong honey, sweetness, upfront lingers. Mouth, is strong. Very interesting for a lager and definitely compares well with some of the pilseners I have had in the past.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

I must admit, I am not particularly into Czech Pils lagers such as this. As a matter of fact, I would typically go out of my way to avoid them. The reason is simply this: nearly every one I'd had has been terribly skunked, too dry, too boring in the hop, too weak, and/or stale-stale-stale. I am pleased to relay that HUB Lager is 100% NOT like the lager I just described.

This beer is amazing -- plain and simple. And true; whenever I hit HUB it's always the first pint I have. The fact that we now have such a *high* quality Czech Pils being made in Portland is actually quite a bit of a first. Portland -- known primarily for some big breweries and a whole plethora of much smaller breweries that remit hoppy goodness in the form of IPAs, Ambers, and Reds -- has been quite dearth of lagers, I mean well-made lagers that make you pine for another pint. This beer my friends is in my humble opinion the best Portland lager so far; hands down.

I admit that the copious amount of Saaz hops boldly go to inordinately hoppy heights for this style of beer, but this is *exactly* what a northwest version of this beer deserves. Its bold statement of spicy Saaz alpha acids balance surprisingly well with the still-subtle taste of Pils malt. And the mouthfeel is yet masterfully light and not syrupy at any angle of perception. The color is a beautifully clear mild yellow, just as it should be.

Honestly, (though I typically prefer IPAs and Munich malted beers), I can't find anything wrong in this beer but the name. It should be called what it is: a Czech Pils, and as well the tops that can be locally offered in the Northwest.

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%

I had the pleasure of pouring this beer at the Spring Beer & Wine Festival, then of tasting it a couple times after my shifts (one 4 oz., one full mug).

Website lists:
5.1% ABV
11.5 Deg Plato OG

A: Golden/wheat color with a modest frothy/creamy white head. From the tap, it poured at times with a sizable, more 'rocky' head, depending on serving temperature. Good carbonation, quickly rising, and good sticking lace.

S: Grassy/spicy Saaz aroma with fresh, biscuity bread and a mild floral honey. Big and enticing, mostly the sweeter notes are emphasized...

T: Upfront zesty bittering that mellows after several seconds to a sweeter, amply malty bread-dough. Touched faintly with honey, a bit floral in the finish. Nicely balanced and full-flavored.

M: Carbonation is enough to give some lively zip, but this isn't what I'd call 'crisp'. Medium-light body. Mouthfeel is soft, rather creamy after that initial hop bite and generally clean finishing.

D: A very fine pilsener, definitely easy to drink & well-made. I'll certainly look forward to having this again. Just a very solid beer, another HUB winner in my opinion.

One minor note (that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the actual beer) is that that the rather ho-hum name 'HUB Lager' really doesn't draw in the curious consumer. I don't know how many times over the course of 3+ hours of serving that the word 'Lager' was ill-received...then I'd describe the Czech-Pilsener style and get them to taste it. Won a few converts, no doubt...but there's still alot of educating that needs to be done...but, regardless of what it's called, I thought this is a pretty terrific beer...

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last