Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA) - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA)Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA)

Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: ccrida on 03-27-2008

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.75/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Halfway between a brown ale and an IPA. I would say, if I had to categorize it, that it's a pale ale more than a "strong" ale. The alcohol is there but it's more muted than you might expect.

Very balanced.

Very sessionable.

Another well-executed brew from HUB.

It would be great to see this in 6-packs as it's a really great beer.

4.34/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a pint (nonic) glass at 52 degrees as instructed (50-55).

Pours a nice orange amber, hitting the glass and making a real foamy off tan head. Four fingers deep, and settling down to three with very good retention and top. Body is a bit dull and goes more to a dull orange/rust and brown color. Kind of dull looking otherwise not too bad.

Nose is real impressive. Fruit powder sugar of cherry. Light herbal tea hop notes. Light maple syrup sweetness. Maybe even a little bit of marmalade orange sensations also. Quite unique and appetizing!

Palate hits with a real nice juicy fruit character. Chewing gum like fruit hubba bubba, tea like aromatic bitters mixing with sweet malts and light maple syrup also. Bouquet brings all the notes to the palate nicely. A bit of powdered cinnamon toast quality and bready brown crust on the finish too. Body has moderate carbonation, even some depth but a very light feel to it strangely enough.

This is my first Hopworks brew I've had and so far I am very impressed.

4.3/5  rDev +15.6%

10 oz. nonic at the Horsebrass on cask, where they had this listed as the Deluxe Old Ale (DOA). I didn't realize until I reviewed my notes from the Deluxe Organic Ale that it was one in the same, and that Horsebrass simply had the name wrong (I verified this with HUB to be sure). Interestingly, I gave it the exact same score as on CO2. Rather then reiterate my review below, I'll just enumerate the differences.

The cask had a smaller head and left a bit more lace.

Smell was a little bit more fruity, bubblegum esters then on C02.

Taste was equally delicious, well balanced and smooth.

Mouthfeel was a bit softer, with with a thinner body, and seemed more oily then on C02.

Drinkability was equally kick ass. What a beer!

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Service Temperature, 40 degrees. Service Glassware, 3oz Shot Glass.

The ale pours orange with a nice level of clarity. A white medium foam dissipates into a ridge-line of lace lies shortly after it settles.

Under the nose I detect a dance of malt some pine and a subtle floral.

The balance of sweet carmel and some raisin, dances almost intersecting with the hops. Overall Mouthfeel, is medium.

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

A: amber color with red tints all around, minimal head followed by minimal lacing

S: sweet malts, acidic fruits...smoke from bar

T: bang on! smooth caramel and malt with flowery hop kick at the end. Sweetness is reminiscent of a fruits (apple, oranges) sweet. Never had this brew, never heard of it, and it has made its way to the top of my list for it's kind. Great overall body and taste with nice touch of bitterness, super well rounded. Great vibe!

M: medium body and carbonation

D: yea, great drinker, nice-nice beer!

4.18/5  rDev +12.4%

A pint, found on tap at Kelly's Olympian for a paltry $3.75.

A: Served with little ivory head in a chilled glass; ruby-kissed amber and a clear, almost carbonation-less appearance. Despite a minimal head, this leaves regular bands of woven lace up and down the glass.

S: Berry-like fruitiness, orange/citrus hopping, nutty caramel.

T: Strong on the spiced apple, orange pith and malt-sweet toffee with a covering of zesty green hops. Never too sweet nor too bitter.

M: Falls just short of 'syrupy', definitely has a heavier mouthfeel and body. Juicy and sticky all at once, spicy hopping dances on the tip of the tongue and gummy malt lingers in a lip-hugging ring.

D: Deceptively drinkable, dangerous. Have had this a number of times before (including a 6-month barrel-aged version just days ago); always enjoyable and certainly worthy of recommending.

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

Was just at the pub, but bought a bottle of this before hand because I knew I was going to try 2 of their other offerings before this one... so I got a bomber for at home... poured into my new Hopworks full pint glass and opened with my free Hopworks keychain opener.. lol.. love the stuff..

- Nice red-ale color... dark amber, coper.. clear.. thin eggshell head.. lacing all about..

- Roasted grain and malt... barley... smells earthy, grainy, and good! Nothing like the all-natural sugars for this yeast to munch on... really smells like a true ale.. bit of some mild bittering.. but seems balance is what is in store.. bit of brown sugar.. must be what it is!

- Smooth sweet grain.. caramel, bread, barley and malt mash... just a huge grain profile... seriously good, and in a way that would make a hop-head look at other alternatives for their favorite beers...

- Little dry, chewy from the grain.. light alcohol leftovers..

- Carbonated well.. almost too well.. but right for the style, so i can't say it's too much. Very drinkable as there isn't much of an alcohol burn at all. Overall a very good unique ale.. something every beer lover should try.

Must say.. today was my first Hopworks experience.. and I have lived in the Portland Metro area all my life... but I have seriously found a new favorite brewer and place to hang when i can get down there!

4.08/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer doesn't really fit the bill of an American Strong Ale. Never gonna compete with other strong ales like Matt and Melange #3. This would be better classified as a pale ale or even a red ale.

Body is a reddish gold, with a thick sudsy head with good retention.

Smells of malt and earthy hops. Some brown sugar sweetness.

Tastes of sweet malt and earthy hops. Has a sweet malt kick on the tongue that a red ale might have. Some fruity esters too, with elements of tropical fruits/pineapple. While this has a pretty big malt bill and sweetness, the hops work to balance this out a bit, but not completely.

Body is medium, with moderate carbonation, providing a creamy mouthfeel.

A good beer, definitely liking the taste of the sweet organic malts with the fruity esters, but this remains rather sweet overall. This is a hard beer to categorize. Nevertheless, another good entry from HUB. A pretty drinkable beer, but I would move on after one of these to something less malty.

4.05/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A: like an brown/amber beer bottle

S: fresh, light, pineapple, green grape; green leaf

T: refreshing, slightly bitter finish, not a strong hop character; well balanced malt/hops; very appealing; surprised that it's 6.9% alcohol-- no heat or heaviness at all.

M: medium bodied

O: a really nice "house" beer. I love beers with lots of character and big flavours but sometimes I just want a simple likeable good beer -- and this is it.

4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

I asked my server about this beer as neither the name nor the menu listing are particularly descriptive. She fell back on the menu listing which reads, "Strong like bull but sweet like your momma." I told her my momma wasn't so sweet to which she laughed and replied, "Everybody says that."

What she served to me moments later was a pint of exceptionally clear mahogany ale with modestly strong carbonation holding up a regal cap of creamy froth. Wall-to-wall lace would soon drape the glass. I inhaled a bright candied aroma - sugary though not overly strong. The flavor was strong with elements of cherry syrup and honeysuckle. Very nice, though the alleged 55 IBU remained sequestered.

I've variously heard that this is a strong ale or an imperial red. Either moniker will do nicely though DOA also shares some qualities with a winter warmer.

Split a bottle at Belmont Station. Man, this yet another great beer from Hopworks. It comes off sort of like an extra big ESB. The malt has a delicious sugar cookie taste that's backed up by a spicy hop kick. Overall this is a well-balanced strong ale with a lot of character. Check it out.

Bomber, poured into a snifter.

See-thru amber with 2 fingers of fluffy cream-colored head. Nice retention and pretty good lacing.

Quite a sweet-smeeling brew, with plentiful caramel, baked apples, and a fairly strong orange/tangerine citrusy qualilty. A bit of grass and grain underneath the sweetness.

The grass and grain are more pronounced in the mouth. In combo with a plentiful caramel sweetness, this makes for quite a robust, multifaceted malt profile. The moderate citrus flavors team up with the caramel to make a nice juicy mouthfeel. Medium-bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall impression: Solid brew from Hopworks.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, dark amber body layered with a sudsy, white head.

Smell: Aroma smelling of caramel-coated malts, hints of toast, hints of bread, citrus fruits, spicy herbs, and just a touch of standard pine.

Taste: Malty beginning with bready, faintly grainy tastes and a decidedly candied caramel sweetness. Hops display citrus, pine, and an earthy herbal quality as well as even a hint of spiciness. Medium-high bitterness present. Some additional fruitiness lurking within. Finishes bittersweet.

Mouthfeel: Just a hair above medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A bit reminiscent of Stone's Arrogant Bastard and Terrapin's Big Hoppy Monster, but that could just as easily be the deranged thoughts of a alcohol-ravaged mind. A nicely bold brew that offers plenty of malts, hops, and satisfying booze.

3.95/5  rDev +6.2%

22 oz. bottle into Kapittel chalice.

Amber hued brew one finger head, little lacing. Nice balance in the nose with bready malts fairly prominent. Good balance on the tastebuds, a bit more piney than citrusy. Fairly active mouthfeel, happy mouth. For the style (e.g., Arrogant Bastard), quite drinkable. Not my favorite HUB regular offering, but a close second to the exempllary IPA. Definitely worth seeking out for 'Big" Beer drinkers. Quite enjoyable, and very tasty.

3.93/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with less than one finger of eggshell-tinted foam head. Medium lacing remains on the glass.

S: Resin-laced caramel, restrained bread, slightly buttery.

T: Begins off-dry, with rich toasted malt and candied orange peel. Acidity is very mild into the middle where flavors turn slightly drier, but with some of the aromatic qualities of maple syrup. The finish is mildly bitter, excellently complemented by metered herbaceous spice and honey.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, resinous but otherwise balanced on the palate, with low carbonation.

D/O: This stock ale is an exemplary rendition of the American amber style, if a bit strong. It shows that balance and restraint can be an interesting quality in and of itself. With the exception of one small-batch sour, this is HUB's best beer yet encountered.

3.92/5  rDev +5.4%

After tasting their Abominable Winter Ale, I was determined to try more Hopworks brews.

A: heavy off-white head that lingers, with some good lacing. Clear cider-colored brew.

S: Lemons, apple, pine hop favors, and some fruitiness.

T: Tart apple, berry and sour citrus with a good malt balance.

M: Bubbly, crisp, but slightly watery.

D: Good, and Hopworks gets an extra point for producing a well-priced organic beer, but I would like more flavor.

3.88/5  rDev +4.3%

I'm pretty sure the only other strong ale I have had is Arrogant Bastard. I just cracked open the bottle and it really smells nothing like Arrogant Bastard, so we shall see. Pours maybe a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The beer was fighting me in the way of head, I poured it pretty aggressively and it only gave me a little bit. The head is about 50% small bubbles, 25% big bubbles and 25% medium bubbles, not really creamy or soapy or anything like that, just looks like your standard head. It might be just a hair off white in color. We will see about lacing once I start to drink the beer, head retention is decent, but I didn't get a whole lot to start out with. The body is somewhat see through, but dark enough that I can't see all too much. The body is a dark orange with hints or red in it, I will say that it looks somewhat similar to Arrogant Bastard. Carbonation looks about medium. Like I said we will see how the lacing goes, but so far I am liking the look of this beer. The head has gone substantially but there is still a solid layer of foam on top of the body. Now that I'm smelling it for a second time....not much has changed, it still doesn't smell anything like Arrogant Bastard. It's a pretty standard ale smell, decent amount of hops, maybe a touch more malts than hops. Pretty clean smelling, refreshing, etc. Maybe some roasted or caramel malts. I do get a bit of a yeast smell in here, which is a little surprising. There isn't much in the way of alcohol on the nose, which is good. Overall it smells good, just very standard and really nothing to write home about. That's a very interesting beer, just like the last Hopworks beer I had was. It's really hitting me at all angles and I can't tell if I like it or not. There really isn't one dominating flavor, but I'll try to just start from the beginning. There are some hops in here, but they are for sure less than the malts, again though, like with the last Hopworks beer, the malts aren't super overpowering, which is good. This beer is very sweet, but not overly sweet, one thing this brewery does great is not overdoing it in any category, with that being said, they have so far underdone it a tiny bit in the hops category, this beer included. I do get a very nice like...maybe holiday spice in the background of this beer, maybe cinnamon or something like that? It's very nice, hard to identify, but it adds character to a beer that is already pretty complex. There also may be just a hair of fruit in here, but it is very small if there is any. There is more of an alcohol presence than I thought there would be, but frankly it adds a nice touch to the flavor. When I first sipped this beer I really wasn't going too nuts over it, I was thinking 3.5, but now that I've had a few more sips it's kinda growing on me, I'm thinking 4, because it's not a bad tasting beer, and it's very very complex. Maybe it even deserves more than a 4, but for now I'm not going to make any big leaps. Mouthfeel is about where it should be, the body is a little thin for my liking, but I suppose it's big enough for the style. The alcohol leaves a bite in your mouth and that really dominates the mouthfeel. Carbonation is pretty low and doesn't affect the mouthfeel much. Overall a pretty good mouthfeel. Drinkability is....eh, not bad. The alcohol is for sure more present than I thought it would be when I smelled the beer, but it's not ridiculous and it adds to the flavor of the beer nicely. It's really not a hard beer to drink, it goes down pretty well for a strong ale. Overall this is a pretty dang good beer, super complex and not a bad flavor at all. The beer really grew on me, and I can for sure give it a solid 4 for taste. As for appearance, the lacing was just like the last Hopworks beer I had, amazing to start out with, and then got very patchy, still a solid 4 because of the lacing to start out with and the good looking body. Overall a pretty good beer.

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Purchased from Belmont Station in Portland, OR, in an attempt to get more local Portland brews to bring hom to Sydney. This one, I shared with @tobeerornottobe.

Pours a hazed amber-red hue, with a frothy, bubbly head of off-white tending to orange if I had to pick a coloured direction. Body is pretty light and a bit dull. Lacing is spotty and patchy. Not bad overall.

Nose is mildly fruity, and hit with a pleasant, moderated roasted note, or something else grainy at least. It has a solid citrus bite to it, and a hint of something green and vegetative. Not inspired, but solid enough.

Taste is oddly sweet, with a firm malty base coming through and giving a caramel and carob character to the brew. Cutting this is a slight earthy bitterness, that does lift it slightly. It's nicely balanced, but it feels as though it's missing some complexity, or some breadth on the palate. Again, it's solid stuff, but it's firmly within the lines.

Feel is solid and smooth: it very much suits what this beer ends up being.

Overall, it's a good beer. It's even perhaps a very good beer. But it's just a bit dull. I mean, c'mon, we've seen this before from any number of other places. I'm on the lookout for standout beers now, for beers that recast a style or make me think about the whole concept of beer. This beer doesn't do it, but if you're after solid and pedestrian, go right ahead.

3.81/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz Pils glass, as the tap takeover at the Underground grinds along on a Monday night.

This beer appears a murky, dark orange brick amber colour, with one thick finger of puffy, bubbly, and loosely foamy beige head, which leaves a broken wall of old concrete lace around the glass as it evenly bleeds away.

It smells of bready, light sugary caramel malt, red wine grapes, spiced apple pie, earthy yeast, and peppy leafy, weedy, and citrusy hops. The taste is grainy caramel malt, complex and confounding ripe orchard fruit, a hint of white pepper spice, and still up for it leafy, citrusy, and hay-like hops.

The bubbles are quite understated, and barely noticeable at times, the body an adequate medium weight, and plainly smooth, the fruity esters yo-yoing about. It finishes perfectly off-dry, the malt dancing a dance of fools with the playfully schizoid fruitiness.

An enjoyable and drinkable hopped up red ale, the fruity essences ruling the day. Could see putting back a few of these on another occasion, given how it hides its near 7 points of alcohol so well - worthy of checking out.

3.8/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: copper-orange, fairly clear, big layer of off-white spongey foam that stays around forever

Aroma: lush biscuity caramel and passion-fruit hops

Flavor: robust malt sweetness laced with more passion-fruit and a touch of citrus; caramel, a hit of peppery alcohol, and a pretty smooth bitterness reaching into the semisweet finish

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation, and a slickness in the mouth

3.77/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance is a hazy copper with fair head and spotty lace. Smell is rich in caramel malt, an arange peel note, hop are there, but light. Taste has a sweet earthiness, piney, citrus with a fair amount of hops and well hidden alchohol. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. To me it's a strong pale ale thats easy to drink.

3.72/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured a golden crimson color in the light with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Plenty of malts, some caramel, earthy

T: Caramel, nice dash of hops some light cocoa, floral and earthy undertones

M:Medium bodied, well carbonated

D: Pretty good overall

3.7/5  rDev -0.5%

On-tap at Gold Dust Meridian in Portland, OR. Pint glass.

appearance - pours a glowing orange, foamy head with good retention and spotty lacing

smell - sweet light hops and caramel malt

taste - honey, caramel malt, light hops, alcohol, not much complexity, a bit bitter

mouthfeel - carbonated, medium bodied, dry finish

drinkability - the alcohol presence hurts this one for me, but it's not a bad beer, although Hopworks makes much better stuff

3.68/5  rDev -1.1%

Purchased at Belmont Station in Portland for $4.99. 22 ounce bottle poured into a SA perfect pint glass. Comes in at 6.9%. No bottling info is given.

A-Pours a clear amber with some reddish hue. It has a one finger off white head that stays at a nice foamy/craggy layer. Leaves some nice looking lace.

S-It reminds me of a fresh hop beer with lots of grapefruit from what I assume are Cascade hops that are not over the top. There is some lightly toasted biscuit malt. I also get some bubblegum and some alcohol.

T-The grapefruit and the biscuit malt dominate the flavor equally. Grapefruit bitterness is strong in the aftertaste and there is also some noticeable booze.

M-Medium bodied, lightly carbonated, and creamy.

D-Defintely a grapefruit dominant beer. I found the booze to be distracting for a pale ale.

This is my least favorite of the HUB beers. The alcohol was too apparent. I'd rather have their IPA or Organic Red.

3.67/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours red-tinges amber with a fading head.
Malty aroma of bready melanoidin malt and spicy hops. Somewhat faint.
Similarly malty flavours with more bready malt and golden syrup, along with a bit of nutty malt. Finishes sweet with a little booze and a mild bitterness.
Could use more carbonation and a lighter body.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast