Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA) - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA)Deluxe Organic Ale (DOA)

good

Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Strong Ale |  6.90% ABV

(Beer added by: ccrida on 03-27-2008)
Rathakem

08-08-2012 05:57:28 | More by Rathakem
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Purchased from Belmont Station in Portland, OR, in an attempt to get more local Portland brews to bring hom to Sydney. This one, I shared with @tobeerornottobe.

Pours a hazed amber-red hue, with a frothy, bubbly head of off-white tending to orange if I had to pick a coloured direction. Body is pretty light and a bit dull. Lacing is spotty and patchy. Not bad overall.

Nose is mildly fruity, and hit with a pleasant, moderated roasted note, or something else grainy at least. It has a solid citrus bite to it, and a hint of something green and vegetative. Not inspired, but solid enough.

Taste is oddly sweet, with a firm malty base coming through and giving a caramel and carob character to the brew. Cutting this is a slight earthy bitterness, that does lift it slightly. It's nicely balanced, but it feels as though it's missing some complexity, or some breadth on the palate. Again, it's solid stuff, but it's firmly within the lines.

Feel is solid and smooth: it very much suits what this beer ends up being.

Overall, it's a good beer. It's even perhaps a very good beer. But it's just a bit dull. I mean, c'mon, we've seen this before from any number of other places. I'm on the lookout for standout beers now, for beers that recast a style or make me think about the whole concept of beer. This beer doesn't do it, but if you're after solid and pedestrian, go right ahead.

07-28-2012 09:12:56 | More by lacqueredmouse
kemoarps

3.58/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a nice ruby/amber with a decent off white head that lingers for a while before moving on to more important tasks such as lacing the sides of my glass.

The nose is primarily sweet, with a sugary almost fruit influence. ALmost a bit creamy as well.

The taste presents layers of caramel and light fruity sweetness balanced by not-quite-bready malts and a little bit of bitterness that comes through in the second half and lingers. Intriguing.

May be a little more carbonation than I seek in the style, but not bad. Drinkable, but I wouldn't want more than one at a time.

Worth checking out if you're looking for something you've not had before, but not one that requires tracking down or grabbing at first opportunity.

07-12-2012 09:43:00 | More by kemoarps

01-10-2012 00:56:06 | More by jekane04
Rifugium

3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

First had: on tap at HUB, Portland, OR

Poured a darker amber color with a small cap of off-white head; minimal lacing. Good balance of caramel malts and citrusy hops in the aroma, notes of light fruit. Not as much balance in the taste; sweet malts, citrus, apple skins, with some fresh hops in the background. Sticky, medium body, nothing tremendous, but drinkable nonetheless.

01-08-2012 20:26:42 | More by Rifugium
MsRif

2.83/5  rDev -23.5%

Had on-tap at HUB in Portland, OR. Poured a lovely cooper/amber color with a thin off-white head that left spotty lacing towards the top of the glass. Had an aroma of grains, sweet malts and a touch of earthy hops. Taste had slightly more pronounced hop flavor that was mostly drowned out by the malts. Not really well-balanced and really one-dimensional. I simply did NOT like this one and I've never had an American Strong Ale that tasted like this.

Medium-bodied with low carbonation. Maybe I should try this again...the only real "miss" that I had from HUB.

12-27-2011 23:45:52 | More by MsRif
SRossman

12-05-2011 00:04:35 | More by SRossman
twelveinches

12-04-2011 06:49:42 | More by twelveinches
Bookseeb

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance is a hazy copper with fair head and spotty lace. Smell is rich in caramel malt, an arange peel note, hop are there, but light. Taste has a sweet earthiness, piney, citrus with a fair amount of hops and well hidden alchohol. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. To me it's a strong pale ale thats easy to drink.

11-23-2011 02:32:49 | More by Bookseeb
projhex

11-15-2011 20:06:32 | More by projhex
MichaelinFishers

Indiana

11-14-2011 07:58:20 | More by MichaelinFishers
barleywinefiend

3.7/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured a golden crimson color in the light with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Plenty of malts, some caramel, earthy

T: Caramel, nice dash of hops some light cocoa, floral and earthy undertones

M:Medium bodied, well carbonated

D: Pretty good overall

08-23-2011 01:10:04 | More by barleywinefiend
MaltsOfGlory

3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

I'm pretty sure the only other strong ale I have had is Arrogant Bastard. I just cracked open the bottle and it really smells nothing like Arrogant Bastard, so we shall see. Pours maybe a one finger head into my standard pint glass. The beer was fighting me in the way of head, I poured it pretty aggressively and it only gave me a little bit. The head is about 50% small bubbles, 25% big bubbles and 25% medium bubbles, not really creamy or soapy or anything like that, just looks like your standard head. It might be just a hair off white in color. We will see about lacing once I start to drink the beer, head retention is decent, but I didn't get a whole lot to start out with. The body is somewhat see through, but dark enough that I can't see all too much. The body is a dark orange with hints or red in it, I will say that it looks somewhat similar to Arrogant Bastard. Carbonation looks about medium. Like I said we will see how the lacing goes, but so far I am liking the look of this beer. The head has gone substantially but there is still a solid layer of foam on top of the body. Now that I'm smelling it for a second time....not much has changed, it still doesn't smell anything like Arrogant Bastard. It's a pretty standard ale smell, decent amount of hops, maybe a touch more malts than hops. Pretty clean smelling, refreshing, etc. Maybe some roasted or caramel malts. I do get a bit of a yeast smell in here, which is a little surprising. There isn't much in the way of alcohol on the nose, which is good. Overall it smells good, just very standard and really nothing to write home about. That's a very interesting beer, just like the last Hopworks beer I had was. It's really hitting me at all angles and I can't tell if I like it or not. There really isn't one dominating flavor, but I'll try to just start from the beginning. There are some hops in here, but they are for sure less than the malts, again though, like with the last Hopworks beer, the malts aren't super overpowering, which is good. This beer is very sweet, but not overly sweet, one thing this brewery does great is not overdoing it in any category, with that being said, they have so far underdone it a tiny bit in the hops category, this beer included. I do get a very nice like...maybe holiday spice in the background of this beer, maybe cinnamon or something like that? It's very nice, hard to identify, but it adds character to a beer that is already pretty complex. There also may be just a hair of fruit in here, but it is very small if there is any. There is more of an alcohol presence than I thought there would be, but frankly it adds a nice touch to the flavor. When I first sipped this beer I really wasn't going too nuts over it, I was thinking 3.5, but now that I've had a few more sips it's kinda growing on me, I'm thinking 4, because it's not a bad tasting beer, and it's very very complex. Maybe it even deserves more than a 4, but for now I'm not going to make any big leaps. Mouthfeel is about where it should be, the body is a little thin for my liking, but I suppose it's big enough for the style. The alcohol leaves a bite in your mouth and that really dominates the mouthfeel. Carbonation is pretty low and doesn't affect the mouthfeel much. Overall a pretty good mouthfeel. Drinkability is....eh, not bad. The alcohol is for sure more present than I thought it would be when I smelled the beer, but it's not ridiculous and it adds to the flavor of the beer nicely. It's really not a hard beer to drink, it goes down pretty well for a strong ale. Overall this is a pretty dang good beer, super complex and not a bad flavor at all. The beer really grew on me, and I can for sure give it a solid 4 for taste. As for appearance, the lacing was just like the last Hopworks beer I had, amazing to start out with, and then got very patchy, still a solid 4 because of the lacing to start out with and the good looking body. Overall a pretty good beer.

08-14-2011 10:18:14 | More by MaltsOfGlory
dgilks

Australia

3.48/5  rDev -5.9%

Clear dark amber colour with a creamy white head. Great lacing.

Nutty caramelised malt aroma. There's also some fruity yeast notes. At the same time the aroma is a touch dull.

Creamy caramel malts with a dose of earthy hops in the finish. A touch bitter but balanced towards the malt.

Medium-full body with moderate carbonation. Nice.

A decent beer but the aroma and flavour don't have anything special about them. A little dull.

08-08-2011 11:19:11 | More by dgilks
Beerenauslese

4.08/5  rDev +10.3%

This beer doesn't really fit the bill of an American Strong Ale. Never gonna compete with other strong ales like Matt and Melange #3. This would be better classified as a pale ale or even a red ale.

Body is a reddish gold, with a thick sudsy head with good retention.

Smells of malt and earthy hops. Some brown sugar sweetness.

Tastes of sweet malt and earthy hops. Has a sweet malt kick on the tongue that a red ale might have. Some fruity esters too, with elements of tropical fruits/pineapple. While this has a pretty big malt bill and sweetness, the hops work to balance this out a bit, but not completely.

Body is medium, with moderate carbonation, providing a creamy mouthfeel.

A good beer, definitely liking the taste of the sweet organic malts with the fruity esters, but this remains rather sweet overall. This is a hard beer to categorize. Nevertheless, another good entry from HUB. A pretty drinkable beer, but I would move on after one of these to something less malty.

06-09-2011 02:08:40 | More by Beerenauslese
notchucknorris

3.28/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Slightly cloudy burnt orange color with a 1/2 finger tan head.

S: It took a lot of effort to pick up much of a smell in this one. After I put it in a snifter, I could pick up some faint aromas of dried mango, orange peel and burnt manzanita wood. There are interesting smells here, they're just hard to get to.

T: The taste was pretty thin as well. Lemon and a bit of hop sourness but not much of a hop bite. The hops seemed a bit faded to me. Big bready malts on the finish. Glad I got to try this, but I probably wouldn't rush to try another.

05-16-2011 16:57:14 | More by notchucknorris
aaron12

3.38/5  rDev -8.6%

dry hops, fades into light malts... weird, i really don't know what this beer is...? american strong ale? ok, but i don't know about that. it's almost like an imperial pale ale, or a strong esb. i like it, but it's confusing. not the strongest nose, light hop smell, it smells like an ipa. you don't taste the alcohol, and the malt comes in at the end. well... for those days when you want to drink something easy, but still get a buzz, (from something that's still classy) this will do the trick.

02-11-2011 01:16:31 | More by aaron12