Rise Up Red - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-12-2009)
Reviews by MaltsOfGlory:
MaltsOfGlory

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a barely one finger in length head into a standard pint glass. The head is maybe just a hair off white and has a lot of big bubbles, but it does look a little creamy underneath those bubbles. Head retention is decent, there wasn't much head to start out with, but what was there hasn't gone away yet. We'll see about lacing, I can't tell right now. The body is a pretty standard, but very nice, dark red color. The body is dark enough that I really can't see much at all on the other side of this beer, it looks maybe a tiny bit cloudy, but mostly it's just dark. Carbonation looks pretty low, but we'll see on the taste. Overall it's a good looking beer, the body is nice and the head is still hanging in there, we will see how the lacing goes, but I'm really liking the look of this beer. When I first cracked open the bottle the hops really hit me hard in the nose. Now that I have poured the beer into a glass the hops have died down, but they are still more present than in some amber ales. With the amber ale style in mind, and considering that so many breweries don't put enough hops in amber ales, this is a step up from the norm, even though I think this amount of hops should be the norm. Malts are pretty well balanced with the hops, now that it's in a glass there isn't really one dominating aroma. There is for sure a roasty smell, which I'm not sure if I will like or not. I'm fine with dark roasted malts in stouts and porters, but lighter roasted malts in an amber ale really aren't my thing, but it's very possible that my nose is just deceiving me. Finally I also get a slight fruity smell and a decent sweet smell. Overall it's a very nice smell, mainly just because of the balance and the fact that they didn't skimp out on the hops. Well that is a very interesting taste. First off the hops are waaaayyy less present than I thought they would be, which is a bummer. secondly the malts are more present than the hops, but they aren't overpowering, which is good. This beer would be perfectly balanced if they just put in a little more hops, because the malt per portion is perfect. There is for sure a sweetness and perhaps some darker and/or lighter fruit on the taste. The only thing that I don't like about the taste, other than the unfortunate hop per portions, is a weird taste that I really can't identify. It doesn't really taste like anything, I doubt it's something special they used, but rather just the way they made the beer. It just tastes a little funky. I always think of bugs when a beer tastes funky, maybe just because the only because that have ever tasted funky also tasted like bugs, or because that's just where my mind immediately goes, I dunno. I'm not suggesting they put bugs in here, like I said, it tastes like it's just how they brewed it. It's really a tiny flavor in the beer and it's hardly noticeable, it's really just in the background, but it's for sure bringing the beer down, at least a little bit. Maybe it's just the hops, and the fact that they aren't the most present flavor, I don't know, I'm really over thinking it. Bottom line is that it tastes good, but I want a little more hops and I want this weird taste gone. Now that I drink more it's actually starting to taste like flowers...ahhhh, I'm so lost with this beer. ANYWAYS, mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is pretty good, the body is big enough for the style, maybe a tad bit watery, but overall big enough. The carbonation is pretty damn low, but that's not the end of the world. Slight bitter finish as well. Overall a good mouthfeel. Drinkability isn't bad, it's pretty light and it tastes pretty good, no real complaints there. Overall this is a good beer and quite frankly it's very unique, there are some things that bother me, but overall it's really good and it's got a lot of solid qualities.

The lacing did end up following me pretty far to the bottom of the glass, it started out amazing and then got patchy, either way it's a great appearance. I'm struggling between a 4 and 4.5, it's not a 5 for sure because the head wasn't big enough to start out with. I'll give it a 4.5, because it was a pretty damn solid appearance overall. Now that I drink this beer more and more that funky taste is turning into a good taste, like flowers or vanilla or something, it's very smooth. This beer is just really all over the place, I was considering changing the taste to a 4 because the bad taste had gone, but now the beer has really flattened out and is just bouncing from one good thing to another bad thing, I'm gonna keep everything the way it is and call it a night.

08-13-2011 11:28:16 | More by MaltsOfGlory
jellikit

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

A: copper- red. Small, thin head. Nice, sticky lacing.

S: citrus and flowers.

T: caramel malty sweetness. Citrus and grapefruit. There is a hint of chocolate malt.. Pine one finish.

M: medium high carbonation. Medium high body.

O: solid NW red ale. Like it and will purchase again.

07-13-2014 02:55:59 | More by jellikit

Kylemif

03-22-2014 19:21:44 | More by Kylemif
StJamesGate

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pale amber with a web of tan froth.
Floral and waxy lemon Cascade nose with some sour caramel.
Salted toffee, a big whack of crystal malt, and then pine sap, orange rind, and nectar hops.
Caramel comeback and bitter linger.
Light, slightly clingy, metallic.

A bit thin, the hops barely hold up, and it’s too strong to session. Still, I do believe the 60 IBUs, and it’s flavorful enough to hold your interest if you do stick with it. Works as a substitute for dull IPAs.

Serving type: can

Kansas

11-28-2013 17:14:51 | More by jaydoc
BeerAdvocate

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #66 (July 2012):

LOOK: Hazed reddish copper, great lacing

SMELL: Toasted bread, citrus rind, mint, hay, caramel, spice, figs, yeast

TASTE: Very smooth, creamy, toasted bread, hop bitterness, buckwheat honey, earthy, orange rind, nutmeg, evergreen, faint alcohol warmth, dried plums, peppery, grainy, semi-bitter finish

An all-around solid and very well-balanced American Red Ale with that PNW trademark lien to hops. Organic as well, which seems to be no longer a trend but perhaps a life-choice for some. Thankfully for them, they have beers like this. Great job on this one!

11-27-2013 22:58:27 | More by BeerAdvocate