Rise Up Red - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Oregon, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-12-2009

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rise Up Red Alström Bros

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

5/1/2012

A: Reddish orange with a finger of beige froth. Nice head retention and some scattered lacing.

S: Strong caramel presence in the nose with lots of earth. Bready malt blends with grapefruit and a little pine.

T: Sweet bready malt with caramel. Very smooth and lightly metallic. There's a low earthy bitterness with restrained pine and grapefruit.

M: Medium body with upper medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is creamy and sticky.

Overall: A pretty good Red, though maltier than I prefer.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Picked up a corny keg for the home system at the brewery. Pours a pretty orange-amber color with a couple of fingers of creamy off-white head that leaves a nice coating of lace on the glass. Aroma is big on caramel malt and a big dose of fruity hops, with notes if grapefruit and a touch of wood.
Palate is a nice balance between caramel malt and assertive, piney hops. Notes of oak, grapefruit, and mild pepper come through before the fairly dry, slightly chalky finish. Body is full and rather creamy, which is great for the flavors involved here. A solid, NW-style red ale for sure.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

A - a swampy reddish brown, solid tan head left a nice consistent lace ring
S - pleasant mix of citrus, earthy, toasty, and sweet aromas, very enticing
T - strong earthy hops with undertones of citrus, strong bready and toasty malt backbone, light musty hint
M - medium to heavy body with lower carbonation, a nice consistent hop bitter through finish
O - i love the fact that they've upped the ante with two hop varieties on this, comes across more like an ESB, which is one of my favourite styles, this beer is a must

A really nice Red Ale...Purchased on-line from BeerTrek. Pours a slightly hazy amber color into my pint glass. Good size antique white head. Good retention, lots of lacing.

Aroma is floral and piney hops...not over the top DIPA variety, just right for an APA or Red Ale.

Taste is nicely balance. The hops are there and very flavorful, but there is a balancing caramel malt presence. A nice balance of sweetness and bitterness that makes this easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is crisp and rich enough. Easy on the palate but still some big flavors. I had this with my Thanksgiving dinner and it was just right. Another good West Coast hoppy beer!!!

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Another gem from my western BA partner.

A - Pours a nice dark amber colour with a slight haze, finger of head with solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S - Sweet citurs hops, lemon iced tea and caramel apple.

T - The leafy citrus hops come through off the top followed by bold caramel and toffee flavours. Surprisingly intense, but extremely well balanced. Probably one of the best examples of the style I've had to date.

M - Medium bodied, but velvety smooth going down and nice and wet on the finish.

O - I really enjoyed this one. Typically, the red ale is nothing mind blowing, but if all red ales tasted like this, then the style would probably "Rise Up" in popularity. Do yourself a favour and grab a bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

On tap @ the Hopworks Urban Brewery (Portland, OR) on 9/4/11. Served in a mug.

Pours a clear amber, with a ½ finger of off-white head. This retains with a rich foamy creaminess, which leaves back a sudsy cascade of lacing that quickly slides down the sides of the glass. The aroma smells freshly flora, piney, and spicy, set against a backdrop of juicy grapefruit and some deep underlying sweet caramel malt, which combine to give this a rich hoppy twang. Man, this is dry and flavorful in the nose, with a perfect Pacific Northwest feel to it.

The taste continues this and is quite assertive on the palate, with a lot of bitter grapefruit and sticky resins. I mean the hop flavors are just full-on here, but are tamed a bit by a sticky backbone of sweet caramel and toasted malt. The overall profile definitely puts the hops at the forefront here though, with an aggressive finish of dry pine and spice that coats the mouth. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with sharp and prickly feel to the carbonation that matches up well with all of that hoppiness, but then some underlying slickness does help keep this more smooth and slick feeling in the long-run.

I tried this since it was recommended to me by a local the previous night and I’m glad I listened! This was a fantastic American Amber, with just the type of awesome West Coast hop presence to it that I had been craving and it packed a ton of well balanced flavor into its sub 6% body. Man, this really hit the spot and is one of the best types of the style that I’ve had in a while.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz bomber, very 'Red Dawn' reminiscent imagery on the label.

This beer pours a moderately hazy, medium copper amber hue, with two solid fingers of puffy, bubbly, and loosely foamy off-white head, which leaves a consistent wash of dripping painted lace around the glass as it evenly settles.

It smells of creamy caramel malt, a bit of Toffifay, rather pleasant orange, grapefruit, and lime citrus notes, a spearmint spiciness, a touch of dark fruit sweetness, and further leafy, earthy hops. The taste is moderately sweet caramel/toffee malt, consistently assertive pine needle and citrus rind bitterness, musty tea, indistinct savoury spices, aided and abetted all by some herbal organics of the same nature (yeah, I don't know what that means either).

The carbonation is just a bit on the low and sly side, and kind of ethereally frothy, the body a slim medium weight, and decently smooth, given that meddling fracas of hop astringency. It finishes more sweet than otherwise, but not off-puttingly so - the base malt and over-reaching hops coming to a particularly modest detente.

I may have been inferring that Rise-Up Red is something akin to a DIPA, but no, this is actually just a pleasant amber ale, one subjected to the whims of a West Coast hop treatment - the extremities otherwise unknown in this style are suddenly here in spades, and enjoyable in their game-bringing. While not an Imperial Red (I do like the sound of that), given the restrained ABV, everything else points to yes - as in, yes, more please.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

650ml bomber poured into tulip 6/9/11

A clear reddish amber with a three finger cream colored head that quickly falls to a thin film that leaves only a couple random patches of lace

S some caramel to go with loads of leafy and citric hops

T mimics the smell quite well with some grapefruit rind and pine I didn't smell, I like the combo of earthy citrus with a little sweetness pretty tasty stuff

M medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation, leaves a little behind without turning your mouth to sandpaper

O pretty solid stuff going on here, if you like a hopped up Red Ale this one will work for ya

when in doubt add a shitload of hops and there you have it, I don't like paying 8$ a bottle but this one was worth it, try it if you get the chance

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

22oz bottle, thanks Chad.
Pours a hazy amber color with a red orange hugh at the edges a creamy head that fades to a ring. The nose on this beer is a bit faint but what does come forward is citrus hops, caramel, malts and a certain sweetness. The tast has a hoppy bitterness up front, mainly citrus flavors from them followed by a slight sweet caramel from the malts, prett pleasant balance. The mouthfeel is a little thin for my taste, it is well carbed. I wouldn't trun this beer down.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a barely one finger in length head into a standard pint glass. The head is maybe just a hair off white and has a lot of big bubbles, but it does look a little creamy underneath those bubbles. Head retention is decent, there wasn't much head to start out with, but what was there hasn't gone away yet. We'll see about lacing, I can't tell right now. The body is a pretty standard, but very nice, dark red color. The body is dark enough that I really can't see much at all on the other side of this beer, it looks maybe a tiny bit cloudy, but mostly it's just dark. Carbonation looks pretty low, but we'll see on the taste. Overall it's a good looking beer, the body is nice and the head is still hanging in there, we will see how the lacing goes, but I'm really liking the look of this beer. When I first cracked open the bottle the hops really hit me hard in the nose. Now that I have poured the beer into a glass the hops have died down, but they are still more present than in some amber ales. With the amber ale style in mind, and considering that so many breweries don't put enough hops in amber ales, this is a step up from the norm, even though I think this amount of hops should be the norm. Malts are pretty well balanced with the hops, now that it's in a glass there isn't really one dominating aroma. There is for sure a roasty smell, which I'm not sure if I will like or not. I'm fine with dark roasted malts in stouts and porters, but lighter roasted malts in an amber ale really aren't my thing, but it's very possible that my nose is just deceiving me. Finally I also get a slight fruity smell and a decent sweet smell. Overall it's a very nice smell, mainly just because of the balance and the fact that they didn't skimp out on the hops. Well that is a very interesting taste. First off the hops are waaaayyy less present than I thought they would be, which is a bummer. secondly the malts are more present than the hops, but they aren't overpowering, which is good. This beer would be perfectly balanced if they just put in a little more hops, because the malt per portion is perfect. There is for sure a sweetness and perhaps some darker and/or lighter fruit on the taste. The only thing that I don't like about the taste, other than the unfortunate hop per portions, is a weird taste that I really can't identify. It doesn't really taste like anything, I doubt it's something special they used, but rather just the way they made the beer. It just tastes a little funky. I always think of bugs when a beer tastes funky, maybe just because the only because that have ever tasted funky also tasted like bugs, or because that's just where my mind immediately goes, I dunno. I'm not suggesting they put bugs in here, like I said, it tastes like it's just how they brewed it. It's really a tiny flavor in the beer and it's hardly noticeable, it's really just in the background, but it's for sure bringing the beer down, at least a little bit. Maybe it's just the hops, and the fact that they aren't the most present flavor, I don't know, I'm really over thinking it. Bottom line is that it tastes good, but I want a little more hops and I want this weird taste gone. Now that I drink more it's actually starting to taste like flowers...ahhhh, I'm so lost with this beer. ANYWAYS, mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is pretty good, the body is big enough for the style, maybe a tad bit watery, but overall big enough. The carbonation is pretty damn low, but that's not the end of the world. Slight bitter finish as well. Overall a good mouthfeel. Drinkability isn't bad, it's pretty light and it tastes pretty good, no real complaints there. Overall this is a good beer and quite frankly it's very unique, there are some things that bother me, but overall it's really good and it's got a lot of solid qualities.

The lacing did end up following me pretty far to the bottom of the glass, it started out amazing and then got patchy, either way it's a great appearance. I'm struggling between a 4 and 4.5, it's not a 5 for sure because the head wasn't big enough to start out with. I'll give it a 4.5, because it was a pretty damn solid appearance overall. Now that I drink this beer more and more that funky taste is turning into a good taste, like flowers or vanilla or something, it's very smooth. This beer is just really all over the place, I was considering changing the taste to a 4 because the bad taste had gone, but now the beer has really flattened out and is just bouncing from one good thing to another bad thing, I'm gonna keep everything the way it is and call it a night.

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper colour with a smooth, off-white head. Fair head retention. Good lacing.

A bit of sweet malt with some mild resinous hop aroma. A little fruity.

Crisp piney hops with a small dose of caramel malts. Fine if unexceptional.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A decent red ale that fails to do anything spectacular. It's still very nice to drink.

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bomber (that I picked up in Bend, OR over 7/4/11 weekend) into a tulip glass.

A: Deep opaque copper with two-fingers of egg-shell white head that slowly recedes to leave excellent lace.

N: Weak notes of caramel and citrus.

T/M: Bitter and toffee. Not a particularly intense beer, but then again this is NOT an imperial-style beer. There are good notes of citrus and pine balanced by a favorable, undefined sweetness. The beer features a medium body that hints that this should be a bit more intense.

Overall, an excellent American Red Ale. I really did enjoy this and felt that it was a nice change of pace from the NW ale. Also worth noting, this is one of the better hop-forward organic beers I have ever had.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Comes out of the tap a dark coppery golden with a thick, yellow-beige head. Rich, malty aroma has a spicy undertone. Mouth-filling malty flavor has tones of cloves and fruit as well as hints of caramel and hops. Smooth, fizzy texture leaves behind a fruity finish.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Southern Tier tulip. It poured a reddish mahogany color with an active, off-white head filling the top inch of the glass.

The aroma has a juicy citrus flavor to it with some notes of pineapple and grapefruit coming through. Some malty sweetness compliments the juicy hoppiness very nicely. Pretty nice hoppy aroma overall.

The taste shows a very nice hoppiness to it throughout the flavor. I get a mix of resiny, bitter, grapefruit like hoppiness and juicy, fruitier, pineapple like hoppiness to it. The malt doesn't add a lot of distinguishing flavors, but are evident in the sweetness coming in more towards the finish. Very easy drinking and flavorful beer.

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side for the style with carbonation being moderate. Overall it was a pretty nice beer. It had some nice hoppy flavors to it and was definitely an easy drinker. My only criticism is that it felt a little light at times. Pretty nice beer overall though.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

22oz bottle poured into a a 22oz giant mug

Pours a slightly reddish amber, clear, with a big fat head. Head fades fast. Smells rich and malty. Fruity and sweet.

Taste is surprisingly bitter, roasty malts. Bitterness reminds me of Arrogant Bastard, actually.

Mouthfeel is nice, light, dry. Overall, I'm surprised, I think this is a pretty darn good beer.

Rise Up Red from Hopworks Urban Brewery