Secession Black India Pale Ale (CDA) - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Secession Black India Pale Ale (CDA)Secession Black India Pale Ale (CDA)

Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Black Ale |  6.50% ABV

Called "a Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale/India Dark Ale" by the HUB headbrewer.

(Beer added by: RedDiamond on 07-12-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Secession Black India Pale Ale (CDA) Alström Bros

4.7/5  rDev +16%

One of hopworks' finest! Black with ruby highlights, this beverage is everything a Cascadian Dark should be. I know, I know, it's not what it's officially called anymore. But I like to give props to the home of hops, so it'll always have that home in my mind.
Slight chocolate and big pine control your mind. A little bit of toasty. The aroma is not overly complex, but it really doesn't need to be. The more there is, the unhappier this style gets. Roasted is subdued.
The flavor is a delight. The silky chocolate and the pine and citrus make for an enchanting beverage. This is one beer I will miss dearly when I leave the left coast. Coats your mouth going down with silky and hoppy delights. Bitter, a bit, yes, but in perfect moderation. Reasonable, and damn delightful.

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Served on tap into a nonic glass

A- Poured a very dark brown (pretty much black) some very light red hues shining through, soapy white head with big bubbles left some chunky lace

S- Big pungent grapefruit, pine, and floral hop aroma. Really an incredible and strong hop aroma

T- Really big pungent grapefruit, piney, citrusy, and floral hops. Some really nice roasted malt character. This is a big juicy hop monster, huge lingering hop aftertaste and moderate bitterness.

M- Very dry, medium carbonation and body, quite smooth

O- This is the best Black IPA I have ever had, huge juicy hops and really nice roasted malt character. This is a world class beer in its style, a style I am often not too crazy about.

4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

22 picked up at Bier Thirty... Poured into my HotD goblet... Great tan head... nice lacing.... the brew is deep dark brown... verging on black... hints of read at the stem of the goblet..

The nose is near perfect balanced dark malt and pithy hoppiness... nothing is out of whack..

Flavor is perfectly astringent in all the right ways... tannic tea leaves... dark malt and slight cold brewed coffee... grapefruit zest hoppiness that lays waste from front to back...

The best thing about this brew is it never goes out of bounds... Most CDA's get PUSHY... this one is very balanced and remains very drinkable.

4/4.5/4.5/4/5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #39 (Apr 2010):

Not only is this beer organic, it is a certified carbon-neutral beer as well ... with the attitude of being a CDA (Cascadian Dark Ale). This is PNW style all the way.

Deep dark brown, only a shade or two away from black. Lots of head comes from a healthy pouring. Pleasing citric, hemp-like and minty hop aroma with grilled bread in the back. Hoppiness is certainly the dominant presence here, with lots of herbal, citric, hemp seed, mint and orangey flavors. The bitterness has no problem shouting that it is the boss, though it does cede some ground to the blackness of the beer: Toasted and faintly roasted malt pops out in the middle ... perhaps a hint of unsweetened chocolate here? Light hop resin sticks, even in the aftertaste.

While this beer is screaming that it is indeed an IPA, the darkness brings a lovely fold to a pretty damn stellar beer. Whether a trend or a bona fide beer style, look no further.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

I was initially luke warm on the idea of a Black IPA, seems oxymoronic to me. But after enjoying a Secession from HUB I have seen the light. And I am a proud CDA drinker looking forward to my next (Deschutes Hop in the Dark I have my eye on you!)...

I was pleasantly surprised by the balance of the CDA, wonderful hop nose, solid and moderately complex body with a nice bold hop statement to close. A many splendored and sessionable ale. Keep up the great work!

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

these guys nail it for the style which is a hoppy IPA with dark malts. The mouthfeel is luscious and smooth but the hops are always there waiting for the next mouthfull. I could drink this all day which is saying a lot since many BIPAs are harsh on the finish and tend to overstay their welcome. As good as Deschutes Hop in the Dark , this is a keeper

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

I saw a segment on TV this morning about the HUB pub so I decided to check it out. I did a sampler of all 10 of their beers on tap and the Secession was the stand-out. It was described as a Cascadian Dark Ale, so I didn't know what to expect because I've never had one. I would call it a black IPA.

A - Very Dark.

S - Citrus hop aroma.

T - Yummy bitterness with a background of smoky hops.

D - Extreme.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Secession is a Cascadian Dark Ale! - per the label.

That settles it for me. I love the style and don't care much for the BJCP style guideline designation American Black Ale. Actually, according to the Hopworks inspiring label, my native state Washington, my present state Oregon, and my favorite Canadian province British Columbia are going to secede from the soon to be formed North American Union (my spin) and form a more perfect beer republic where we will enjoy our beer in the finest PNW traditions.

A-pours a beautiful dark brown, nearly black hue with a two finger light brown head with decent retention and adequate lacing.

S-Aroma is wonderful. Piney and citric hops and roasted barley.

T-Hoppy bitterness is followed by citrusy and resinous notes against a very pleasing black barley roastiness I especially like in this style, notwithstanding some beer advocates think this quality is more like a stout. I love it and will join the CDA secession movement.

M-Just a tad thin and a little dry. I like just a bit more residual sweetness to give a fuller and smoother body.

O-This is very drinkable. I have only seen this once at a grocery store in Wilsonville with a good selection of microbrews. Wish I had bought more. Most stores, including bottle shops, I frequent either never stocked this or were sold out before I had an opportunity to buy. My second favorite CDA so far. And it's ORGANIC! Well done Hopworks.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The color of the body is somewhat akin to the highlights along the edge of a pint of Guiness, a rich mahogany/very dark brownish tone. Excellent lacing from the cream-colored head- sheets of it coat the glass from top to bottom.

Very fresh aromas of roasted malts, pine sap and hop resin. I'm guessing plentiful dry hopping was involved. A tasty and ejoyable beer, with plentiful bitterness of pine and burnt malts from start to lingering finish. Dry and toasty, letting the hops do their thing. A touch of melted chocolate sweetness at times. I liked this one a lot, and am a bit surprised that more people haven't reviewed it (I had it way back in July).

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Deep mahoganny with a light tan head, good retention, great lace.

Huge 'Cascadian' aroma: Catty, pine, tangerine, rind, floral perfume.

Hops are upfront in the flavour, pine, tangerine, grapefruit rind; slight roasted nut & biscuit, hint of cocoa and burnt caramel, solid bitterness.

Well-attenuated moderate body has some hop acidity.

A good drinker and great representation of the style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours just a shade lighter than lack, with ruby highlights; the creamy tan head leaves a nice pattern of lacing behind

Smell: A blend of pith and tangerine from the hops and chocolate, mocha and nuts from the malt

Taste: The battle between the malt and the hops is so intense here it is hard to tell which flavors hit the tongue first; suffice to say that the malts bring chocolate, mocha and nut flavors and those form the backbone; on top of the malts, the hops add tangerine pith; after the swallow, the flavors continue to battle, though the end result is rather balanced

Mouthfeel: Medium body and moderate carbonation

Overall: A very nice example of the style, displaying all of the flavor components

Thanks, gkatsoris, for the opportunity

Secession Black India Pale Ale (CDA) from Hopworks Urban Brewery