Ace Of Spades - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Ace Of SpadesAce Of Spades

Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Docer on 08-26-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ace Of Spades Alström Bros
4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

July 2012 - 4/3.5/3.5/3/3.5 (3.48)
This is certainly a pretty beer. Deep amber, opaque, minimal white head. No lacing.

The nose is... different than I had anticipated. There's some grapfruit hops, and something that I can't quite get my finger on. Wet.

This is a potently bitter beer. It's crisp, yet quite large. No balance, just damp vegetation.

Not a well balanced IPA. One that might appeal to those who just want a hop bomb, but it doesn't really do much for me. Even other high-hop/high-IBU brews I've had and enjoyed, they had some balance to them. I probably wouldn't drink it again.

REVISIT: August 2015 - 4/4.5/4.25/4/4.25 (4.27)
Still see that beautiful opaque glowing gold. Small white head skips town early leaving just a couple of probing islands

On the nose I already diverge pretty solidly from my youthful follies. Big juicy citrus hops with a strong stroke of pineapple down the middle as well. Passion fruit and guava hint at the edges... this smell beautiful.

Flavour bursts with slightly less pop than the nose, but is still a far more enjoyable quaff than my younger self seemed to experience. Medium body supports a cozily citrus brew with wrappings of tropical fruits. Finish is pithy bitter but with a nice sweet bulge softening the landing.

I don't know if my prior review was an old bottle, or (more likely) I was just a foolish youth who did not like hops (I jumped into the dark side when I initially got into beer, while my sister dove headlong into the hoppy waters. It took me several years to get to the point where I ever intentionally drank IPAs etc, I just didn't realize that that was still so recently). Whatever the situation, I can't think of another brew where my impression has pulled such a drastic and complete 180. 2015 me says this is a fantastic beer one I would happily seek out again and maybe I should revisit more of my earlier reviews and update my impressions

4.41/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: Good looking.
Smell: Smelly. Hops and pine are apparent. This has a great aroma.
Taste: The taste is a good combination of hops, bitterness, and pine, with a nice touch of sweetness. Tropical fruit stands up as the beer warms.
Feel: No complaints. Good to go.

Overall - I'm impressed. Truer to style than not.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Pours a clear reddish/orange color, nice head with great lacing
S: Malty, dark fruit, citrus scents
T: Dark fruitiness up front with citrusy hops, lots of booziness at the end.
M: Medium bodied beer, good amount of carbonation
D: This is an interesting beer, not what I expected. Seems like this is more of an American style barleywine. This would make a great winter sipping beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Acquired via trade...thanks Mike. 22 ounce bottle poured into a SA perfect pint glass. Comes in at 9.5% and 100+ IBUs. No bottling info is given.

A-Pours a crystal clear amber color and it has a one finger off white head that dissolves quickly into a bubbly ring. Bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom. Not much lace is left in between sips.

S-Off the bat the aroma reminds me of some of the better Midwest DIPAs that I have smapled. There is plenty of tropical fruit flavors such as pineapple and mango. Grapefruit is also prevalent. It has a sweetness to it that gives the beer a candied fruit aroma. It also has an earthy/dusty element to it. As it warms it gets more and more resiny.

T-Lot of hop flavor in this one. It is quite resiny. Midway through each sip it hits the tongue with bitterness and booze. The tropical fruit flavors are more noticeable in between sips. It has a big malt backbone and caramel sweetness lingers.

M-Thicker bodied with a creamy mouthfeel.

D-This seems stronger than 9.5%. I had this beer after a big dinner and I started to feel it after the first 10 ounces. This is one to sip on.

This is a really big DIPA. I would like to see some of the booze toned down. The hop profile is really nice. Hoping to try this on tap.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

I've had this both on tap at the brewery and out of a bottle. This review is observed from a 22oz bottle poured into a belgian-style stemmed glass. Even had a foil cap on it from the release...nice.

appearance - pours with a nice head, leaves some lacing on the glass, transparent orange/amber

smell - piney and resinous hops on the nose, very earthy smell

taste - incredibly piney hops, some caramel malts back this thing up, but as you continue to drink it the hops dominate, finishes with an alcohol and bitter taste

mouthfeel - medium, silky, light carbonation

drinkability - while the hops dominate this beer and make it very delightful, the alcohol is really strong and i get wasted just thinking about the beer

I have to warn...in the two times I've drank this beer it has given me a horrible hangover. I'm rarely destroyed by beers like this so don't be surprised if you experience a similar situation.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

This ale appears light orange with a two inch off colored white head that dissipates quickly.

It smells like a big bag of dank bud. There is a potent tropical fruit/ pineapple smell. It smells dank and slightly skunky but not in a bad way. There is a subdued caramel sweetness. I could sit here and smell this beer all day and night.

It tastes very fruity: there are hints of orange, pineapple, and other tropical fruit. There is a pleasant mild sweetness that comes with the fruity flavor. There is also a bud like dankness to the beer as well. All of these unique flavors lead to a palate wrecking bitterness. The bitterness however is not one dimensional. Traces of the citrus fruity flavor linger with the bitterness quite well. I am really digging this IIPA. The bitter citrusy dank flavor lingers for awhile on the palate. It is quite complex ale.

The carbonation is moderate low. It has a really nice mouthfeel that adds smoothness to the beer.

Though the alcohol is quite high this is very drinkable though it is very much so a sipper. It is one of the most complex IIPAs I have had for a while.

Though I have like most of the stuff I have had from HUB this beer gave me a new respect for HUB.

4.27/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an IPA glass.

Color is crystal clear gold with a thick, fluffy white head. Excellent retention and lacing. Smell is
juicy and citrus - like ruby red grapefruit juice. Floral, piney hops are also present. Flavor is an explosion of citrus on the palate, followed by sweet syrup with an alcohol bite, finishing with a lingering, pleasant bitterness. Body is medium-full with moderate carbonation and some hop resin oiliness.

Overall, a delicious, balanced DIPA. I personally like a little less sweetness, but this is an excellent example of the style that I think would be approachable for non hop-heads. Even at 100 IBU.

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

very little to say about this. it's very solid and a reliable backup IPA in the same way Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA is. the citrus comes through delightfully, and the drinkability is shocking - it hides its ABV very well compared to say, the firestone walker double jack that i had the same weekend.

4.39/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle poured into cervoise.

A - Pours a clear, deep amber. Very little head formation, almost none. Minor lacing remained. I would have liked to see a nice rocky head, but no big deal.

S - The whole gamut of hoppy bitterness smell here. Mostly tropical fruit, grapefruit, tangerine, papaya, lemon. Pine and juniper as well.

T - Hop bomb here. Lots of flavour exactly like the nose. All kinds of juicy citric hops. Grapefruit, orange and some grassy graininess to it. I picked up very minor, almost non-existant, malts.

M - Slight heat at back of mouth due to high ABV, sticky, very drying.

O - This is an awesome IIPA, a true hop lovers beer. It would have been nice to have a touch more maltiness, but really not a big deal as this beer is all about the hops. Delicious.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date apparent. Paid $8.19 at John's Marketplace in Portland, Oregon.

A-Pours a slightly hazy golden amber color with a two finger, off-white head with good retention and copious lacing.

S-Citrus like hops, especially grapefruit are prominent. Piney hops too. No wonder since three of my favorites are used: Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial.

T-Good balance between the aggressive bitterness from the hops at 100+ IBUs and the pleasant slightly sweet, bread like and caramel malt base. But at 21.5 degrees Plato (or about 1.090 original gravity) and 9.5% ABV there is a bit more residual sweetness than I like in a DIPA.

M-Very smooth and extremely well balanced with a medium to full body, but I would like this better if it were a bit drier. Nicely carbonated.

O-Another fine beer from a brewery I like to support due to their commitment to organics and sustainability. Well done, Hopworks!

4.07/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A: Hazy copper body w/ light tan head. Pretty lacing and good head retention.
S: Citrusy and floral hoppy aromas with caramel malt notes.
T: Beautifully balanced malt backbone and crisp hop bitterness & finish.
M: Balanced body with crisp back end.
O: A great big DIPA.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance: orange-orange. No head. Just small bubbles. Not much lacing. Thin and quick.

Smell: faint floral and a little orange peel. Not in your face aroma.

Taste: hate to say it, but orange peel and more citrus. Not too powerful. But hops linger for a few. Balanced well with the high alcohol level.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation. Medium-large. Not thick, but full body. Think Jenny McCarthy.

Overall: hoppy taste and strong bittering make this a hoppy, strong beer. Good. I would buy it again.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

taste- citrusy hops, compact bitter hop finish, butterscotch flavors

color- orange amber

clarity- pours clear but dense in glass

smell- complex notes, citrusy hops, must, candy

body- compact bitter hop finish

appearance- thin slightly off-white spotty carbonation and lacing, good carbonation when agitated in the glass

overall impression- above average double ipa, nice presentation on the palate, well balanced, beer opens when consumed but not overly so, nice lingering character with hop bite at the front of the mouth and nice sour/bitter character on the sides and back of the mouth, not a "hot", over the top abv which makes it easy to drink...thumbs up. beer is a nice example of the style

beer spy- ashland or, june 2011, 22oz

glassware: tulip

3.65/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to ever generous oregonskibum for this one.

A: Clear burnt golden, bubbly, white frothy head

S: Pungent bitter hop aroma, piney and spicy. Pretty apparent whiff of booze as well. Big aroma, smells nice.

T: A sweet and resiny DIPA, same bitter hops from the nose backed up with bready caramel malt and a dash of tropical fruit. Gotta knock the T and D a bit because of the fusel alcohol presence in the back of my throat. This finishes really "sharp" with a killer lingering bitterness coupled with booze evaporating off of my tongue. Mouthfeel is coating, but finishes super dry.

3.88/5  rDev -7%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter.

A- This beer pours a dark orange color with little carbonaton activity present or head. There is a small less one finger white head and no lacing to speak of. Overall not a great looking beer but standard for IPA's and DIPA's.

S- To me this is a weak smelling beer. For a DIPA I am expecting massive hops, piney, and bitterness however I am not picking up on any of these. I am getting rather mellow notes coming of the top of this beer. Smell is not this beers strong suit.

T- The muted nature found in the smell carries over, to a lesser degree, in the taste. I am picking up muted flavors and a small bitter aftertaste. Nothing overwhelming or outstanding in the taste of this beer. Don't get me wring I think the taste of this beer is fine however when I compare this beer to other DIPA's I have had in the past this beer seems to be a weaker version. Overal an average tasting beer that leaves a lot to long for.

I recieved this from madhombrewer and unfortunateley this beer does not live up to other Hopworks offerings. This is a decent tasting beer and maybe Hopworks is a victim of its own success. I will certainly try an other beers from Hopworks I can get my hands on but I don't think this will be one.

4.34/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into Sam Adams pint.

Pours a hazy burnished copper and gold. Moderate tan head with no lace. Big hop aroma, a slap of citrus, grapefruit and some pine. Taste starts strong, the bitter comes in quick, big and clean. Feel is resiny, chewy. Tasty.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Deep, clear gold with a thin white head and good lacing. Very little carbonation streaming from the bottom.

A: Pungent hop aromatics of pine resin and tropical fruit with pear, grapefruit and tobacco complexities. The malt is noticeable in the form of a clean toasted biscuit character, and the alcohol is noticeable as well adding a sweetness that enhances the tropical fruit notes (amarillo).

T/M: Firm bitterness upfront, very smooth, that moves into fresh hop flavors of tropical fruit, pear, pine and earthy tobacco, and a nice biscuit and nut malt backing. The body is moderately full and the finish lingers with a tinge of sweetness the pulls the tropical flavors through to the end. Very little palate wear for such a strong DIPA.

Overall, a fantastic Imperial IPA that is as balanced and drinker friendly as you will ever find. Hopworks has found perfect harmony between malt and hop, if I were to choose a DIPA that would be the best to introduce to a first time drinker, this would be the one. It pulls off a fantastic balance between bitterness, hops, and malt that would likely be enjoyable to even those unfamiliar with hops. I will always pick up a few bombers if given the chance.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

A: a clean copper color with an off white head.

S: citrus hops at first. then you get some nice melon flavors, some peach, orange peel, and some nice piney aromas. just a really nice and clean hop aroma.

T: just like the aroma. citrus, peach, piney, and some caramel. it is dry and bitter.

M: has a good medium-thin mouthfeel with good carb for the style.

O: this is a solid offering, that I wish i could get more.

4.47/5  rDev +7.2%

poured in tulip at hopworks. Solid amber with amble off white head and good retention. Nose is all citrus with orange and grapefruit. Bit of caramel coming through. Taste follows with big Curtis hop and caramel madly back bone. mouth if all pucker with big bitterness, but good balance for iipa. Fine beer. Only one point for me though.

3.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Had the first batch in growler, this is the latest on tap. The closest thing I can compare this to is Fish 10 Squared. This has a nice hop profile but has a ton of the sugary malt and booze. Clear dark orange color. This is almost barelywine-esque on tap, the first batch felt lighter. It has a depth to it with the pine balanced by the trademark Hopworks sugar cookie backbone, significant alcohol in the nose and on the tongue. Touch of biscuit and bread long into the aftertaste. Very good, not great.

4.42/5  rDev +6%

Poured in to an HotD tulip on 4/13/11.

Pours a beautiful golden amber with two fingers of frothy off white head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lacing. Not very much head retention in this beer but it looks very nice post pour before the head disappears.

Smells of carmel malts and then the hops hit you. Tons of hop notes to pick out for my underdeveloped nose... Citrus grapefruit and others. This really made my mouth water.

Taste is a lot of the same. I get the sweet malt taste that comes through very well but then a nice mix of fruity hops. Still has some booze flavor but very delicious.

Mouth feel is a medium weight. It goes through the palette smooth with some alcohol burn on the backside. Some resin that leaves a little of hops bite left over.

Drinkability on this one is high. Takes a little hit because of the alcohol burn but the juicy hops and malt balance is great. Well balanced and hey! Its organic and certified carbon neutral according to the bottle which I can dig. Good beer I will definitely be asking for this one from my Portland trading partners.

4.51/5  rDev +8.2%

22oz. bottle bought from the brewery, served in a snifter.
Deep hazy orange in the glass with a 1/2 finger off white head that fades quickly. Man, this is a hop bomb! The aroma is huge citrus hops, grapefruit, maybe a little peach. This beer really showcases traditional west coast hops well. It has good clean hop bitterness with just enough malt sweetness to make this really drinkable. It is easy to keep adding hops to a beer and call it a IIPA. This was constructed with a finished product in mind, well done.

I am going to let one bottle sit for a couple of months to sweeten up a little more.

3.72/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Served chilled into a fluted tulip.

Pours a rich copper/amber color with a quarter inch of light beige head that quickly recedes leaving light surface layer and lacing.

Aromas of caramelized sugars and citrus.

Flavors of the aforementioned caramelized sugars along with candied orange peel. Hints of pine and floral notes, as well. A full range of hop flavors.

Moderate to heavy mouth feel with light carbonation and sweet finish. Lingering bitter aftertaste.

Overall a nice representation of the style, with a complex hop profile and sweet body.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

A - The color looks golden and cloudy when you tries to look through it. It certainly isn't transparent, and for me it means it will have at least some body.

Taste - It tastes very citrus-like while very hoppy at the same time. It's why I like Imperial IPAs more than the usual fare you see with breweries offering ordinary IPAs.

Mouthfeel - The beer lingers in your mouth for a while, and the finish is certainly hoppy.

With a strong ABV and higher price point, I imagine there's not a lot of people that would buy this beer regularly. However, it's definitely something I would want to drink once in a while when I'm in the mood for an Imperial IPA. It's also nice to see that you can brew quality beer that is organic.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Had this in September of 2009 at the Hopworks Urban Brewery in Portland, Oregon. The colour was orange-amber with no had at all. The aroma was full of citrus skin and pine pitch. On the palate, a burst of froth followed by piney, resin-like hops in front and more citrus-like hops on the soft and back palate. Highly cloying, but not in such a manner as to be offensive [to me]. I thoroughly enjoyed the long, bitter finish that lingered for many minutes.

Ace Of Spades from Hopworks Urban Brewery