Ace Of Spades - Hopworks Urban Brewery

Ace Of SpadesAce Of Spades

Hopworks Urban Brewery visit their website
Oregon, United States

Beer added by: Docer on 08-26-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ace Of Spades Alström Bros
firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a Stolzle Beer Glass a great bright amber with an inch of off white head that fades fast leaving behind only the faintest signs of lacing.

Smelled fantastic and Strong! There are a lot of differnt fruity smells in there but the one I got most of seemed to be grapefruit esk. made me want to swim in it.

Taste is very similar, but very surprised and happy to to get a whole lot of alcohol. Sweet malt taste surrounded by fruity hops.

Feels pretty good in your mouth. Drinks easily with a little heat on the tail end. Bitter finishing, but not so much you don't want to go right back in.

This drinks great. Much closer to a very hoppy IPA than the double I'd say. Wanted more of it, but there were different bottles to be drank! (742 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -17.8%

"100+ IBUs"

If it weren't for a 20% discount I receive at the store that carries this brew, im not so sure I would've bought it. After chatting up the beer guru at our store, he comforted me its worth [at the discount price].
Im a pretty big IPA fanatic. Ill drink all across the board, and take them for what they are. I have been taken back by this beers claim to be 100+ IBU (what does that even mean?) because this brew to me didn't even reach 70. 100+ IBU can mean /something/ there is a certain point when IBU's are that high...
This is *not* one of those beers.
I love HUB.
I love explosive over the top IPAs.
I think "100+ IBUs" in this case needs to be rethunk.
I drunk, & methinks while this beer is tasty, I will not agree that number should have been slapped on the bottle. Im disappointed in that; not the beer itself.
Worth a try, but not at retail price. (870 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I don't usually drink "Organic" beers but this one does not dissapoint. Initial full citrus hop flavors from Cascade hops. Aromatic with bitter kick from the Amarillo. 100+ IBUs. Complex mouthfeel and aftertaste. very full on the flavor scale. NO alcohol burn but truly a Imperial IPA at 9%. Overall very pleasing clean and full. (329 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Almost a hybrid American Barleywine and Double IPA. Quite viscous, and almost syrupy. Some residual sweetness, but well supported my monster hop bitterness. Nice sinuous, resiny American hop flavor and aroma profile. (216 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Tastes like a souped-up hopworks ipa. Great hop tang, very piney and oily. Kind of a straight-shooter, would be more interesting with bigger malt body.

Overall a good choice for the cooler days of spring in the rainy northwest, sweet but not syrupy, a kiss of caramel to soften the booze.

Nice artwork on the bottles, might become popular with rock bands.

Rock on ace ! (373 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

Nearly clear, orange-amber liquid from the magnum into my favorite tasting glass with a strong two fingers foamy head, not much in the way of retention, but decent lacing as the glass empties. The nose is big, pine hops, citrus rind, herbal flowers, and caramel malt notes. Flavors include, but are not limited to oily pine hops, grapefruit rind, caramel malts, and a pretty boozy finish. Mouthfeel is slick, with appropriate carbonation. A very tasty sipper that'll whoop yer ass if you're not careful. I like it, though the boozy finish is a wee much for my taste. (566 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a bomber to a snifter

Appearance:
Deep, dark amber, with some haze. finger-tall off-white head that quickly dissipates into a subtle lacing.

Aroma:
Not as intense as the bottle suggested, which was a major disappointment. As it warms, strong fruit flavors start to present themselves. There is a sweetness to it that reminds me of those sugared orange slice gummies I ate as a child. Overall, the smell is of citrus and sugar, with the 9% alcohol content hiding far, far away.

Taste:
Oranges come to mind again, some tangerine notes, and malty sweetness that makes this beer taste akin to candy. It is hard to describe the complexity of the flavor because I find it dualistic; simple oranges and sugar, but somehow so much more.

Mouthfeel :
This is what a DIPA should feel like. Thick, tongue-coating, sticky, some prickle on the back of the tongue from carbonation, and ending with a pleasant after-burn of hop bitterness and alcohol warmth

Overall:
Initially, I was very disappointed; the beer tasted like stagnant, bitter malt-water. As it warmed, however, the citrus started to shine. If I were to happen by this beer again, I think I'd keep it out of the fridge, and drink it at cellar temp. I didn't seek this one, but I'm glad to have found it. I still can't get over the resemblance to orange slices.... (1,331 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

I love this beer. This is one of my favorite DIPA's. The beer goes down very smooth, but you get a strong hop flavor as well. It is like melding the best of both worlds. An easy to drink, hop heavy beer. Whenever bombers of this beer come in to my local beer store, I am down there buying it ASAP. I just prefer to drink this beer whenever I can. This is everything a west coast DIPA should be. (394 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last