HopArt IPA - COAST Brewing Company

HopArt IPAHopArt IPA

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Walking a fine line of sweet malt and assertive hop character. A hop presence so enticing it truly is a work of art.

(Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007)
View: Beers (47) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of HopArt IPA Alström Bros
hiphopipa

07-20-2014 00:08:38 | More by wilhoitc12
hiltonheadbeer

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

Bomber into a Duvel Glass. Bottled 1-17-2010

A. Hazy dark Orange/Caramel color. 2 finger white head. Beautiful. Wish I could upload a pic.

S. Great hop aroma as soon as I popped the cap.

T. Delicious hops right up front with malt quickly following it up and ending with a nice dry finish.

M. Silky smooth all the way. Very satisfying.

D. Wow! What a great beer for my first review. Spent the last few days sampling many great beers, but decided HopArt was worthy of my very first review. Can't wait to serve my friends and customers Coast Beers. This is what Craft beer is about.

02-02-2010 02:25:04 | More by hiltonheadbeer
Rymar9

4.93/5  rDev +22.3%

Finally got to try this. Poured into glass to reveal an amber orange color with perfect half inch white head. Smell is fantastic.. Pineapple and grapefruit followed by hops..taste is the same except with a subtle hint of malt to balance it out..doesn't take away from the tropical fruits at all. Finally comes the slightly bitter, crisp clean finish. All in all, a great IPA...one of my new favorites.

02-23-2011 00:44:02 | More by Rymar9
cdizinno

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

What can I say, FRESH is BEST. The bottle is good, but way better when the keg is less than 2 weeks old.

A: Slightly cloudy golden amber color with a nice fluffy off-white head. Moderate to heavy lacing.

S: Fragrant fruity hop scent with mild pine and citrus undertones.

T&M: Nice and smooth, tastes better than the smell. Nicely balanced with a mild taste of malts that offset the heavy hop bitterness. Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy. Medium bodied with a slight roughness due to the high hop content.

Excellent local brew in SC. I'm an IPA fan and on-tap this is definitely one of my top five!

08-20-2011 21:33:55 | More by cdizinno
softcough

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Tasted from bottle, tap and growler.

This beer represents what all American IPA should be.

Looks perfect. Great head, nice lacing in the glass. Deep golden color with the faintest hint of amber.

Bright hoppy aromatics. Smooth, but not too smooth to boast its big Hop intensity. Notes of citrus pith and piney herbs.

Want more.

I feel that this is the perfect American IPA. Perfect, seriously. It walks the line of bordering a double IPA without really stepping onto it which also clearly defines itself well beyond American Pale Ale which not enough breweries can do.

03-29-2008 18:02:29 | More by softcough
thektg

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

I had this beer at Gene's Haufbrau in Charleston, SC on tap. This was my first time tasting this beer. I had read about it on BA, so it was high on my list of beers to sample. I must say, I was not disappointed.

A - Hazy orange glow. Had nearly two fingers of white head.

S - Beautiful hop aroma of citrus and grapefruit flavors.

T - Bitter, but smooth. The hops dominate at first, giving way to a carmel, malt flavor.

M - Smooth and silky.

D - Wow! It lived up to expectations. There were other beers on tap, but I had to have another pint.

Highly recommended.

mmckay41

11-18-2013 00:12:48 | More by mmckay41
tmock10

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%

A-Cloudy orange/yellow with creamy white head, great retention and lacing
S-Citrus and pine hops
T-Grapefruit,orange and pineapple with the perfect balance of pine and malt.
M-Medium body and the bitter hoppy aftertaste you expect from a quality IPA.
D-All day everyday if it were available where I live
Overall-Next time I visit Charleston I will definitely have one or many on tap.

01-08-2011 20:47:36 | More by tmock10
welldigger888

4.72/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured a pint glass, nice white head with very good lacing down glass.Hazed (unfiltered) orange copper color.
Very much a hoppy beer though the malt does not take a back seat. Piney citrus with a solid biscuity aroma.
Again a very hop forward elixer that delivers on pine reson and some citrus, nice and in your face here. The malts are in this strong too, nutty toasty malt tones hold strong.With a touch of alchol before the dry bitter finish.
Nice smooth creamy oily mouthfeel on this brew.
I love this stuff, the abv is the only thing holding this back from session beer. But my god 3 or 4 pints are all the way around awesome.Coast hits'em out of the park folks, seek and drink. DO IT!!!

12-22-2010 02:28:34 | More by welldigger888
dlcoblen

4.64/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great IPA!

A: It is a cloudy beer with orange tint. The off white head lingers.

S: Citrus fruits, piney and floral. (typical IPA smells)

T: The taste is very balanced between the bitterness and sweetness of the malts. It is a perfect combination and is very refreshing.

M: Carbonated, but not too much. It seems to be just right.

O: This was my first time trying Hopart and will be buying it again. It is a great IPA and it is brew locally for me which is always a plus. Anyhow if you see it give it a try. I doubt there will be any regrets.

04-15-2013 00:35:31 | More by dlcoblen
dqderrick

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Traded my Stone 9th Anniversary growler for a growler of this with riverjames.

A
Cloudy, orange. 1/2" head. White and thick bubbles. Looks like a hefe but darker.

S
Citrus. Delicious. Lets get it on!

T
Oh, yum. Just enough sweet. Bitter all the way through.

MF
Great, good carbonation.

D
Easily could drink a 6pack. I'd enjoy more. This was a 6 day old growler with a standard screw top. I was worried that through shipment and possible oxidation that it wouldn't taste fresh. But, it tasted very fresh.

Thank you riverjames.

01-24-2009 04:52:41 | More by dqderrick
tigerdoc

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a golden copper color with a thick white head that sticks around for a little while. Moderate carbonation that remains while I enjoy. The aroma is definatly unique in hop character, several different hops are likely being used. I definately get the typical floral and citrus hop aromas from American hops as well as some more earthy notes and the sweet malt comes through to balance. The beer flavor is very balanced, one of the most balanced IPAs I've ever had which may be a testement to the freshness as well as the brewing practices. The malt body and slight sweetness comes through first with the nice floral and citrusy hop flavor coming in next with a crisp bitterness and carbonation for the finish. The flavor lasts for a while in my mouth but leaves me wanting another sip shortly after. The beer has gotten better since I first tried a year ago (it was good then as wee). This is likely due to the brewers getting their system and recipe nailed down. Excellent beer.

04-22-2008 02:52:26 | More by tigerdoc
Ezekiel81923

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%

Visited some friends down in Charleston, made it my own personal mission to track down some Coast beers. HopArt seemed to be on tap at some of the local restaurants so I made a push to eat at some of these places. Had it a few times on tap as well as few growlers I brought home with me.

Appearance: On tap the service must've been a little slow, by the time I got the beer the head was more or less gone, but pouring out of the growlers I had no problem getting a 1-1.5 finger head to form at the top. The retention was amazing, it never really went away, and CO2 bubbles kept it alive as they streamed up my glass. Color was a murky reddish-brown color, not all that clear. Lacing was exceptional, left foam all over the sides of my glass.

Smell: Smelled a bit spicy, as well as some mild floral hop notes. A bit citrusy, some sweet malts sneaking in. Not the most attractive smell, the peppery scent that came through sort of muddled the hop aroma that I love so much, but I won't hold it against the beer.

Taste: I absolutely loved this beer. I am so upset that this isn't distributed outside of the greater Charleston area. The peppery scent I picked up is detectable in the taste, but it is not overwhelming. There are hints of something sweet, perhaps honey as others have mentioned, or maybe its just a sweet sugar or malt sweetness. It is not overbearing at all however, as the hop profile of pine and a hint of citrus is still prevalent. East Coaster for sure.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy. Slight bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied, a few of these might fill you up. But a few is all you'll need.

Drinkability: The 7.7% isn't very easy to detect in the taste of this brew, but it'll hit you after a few of these. I would drink this all night if it weren't for the ever intensifying buzz it gives you.

I was not able to find this in bottles, If I had I would have brought home a whole lot of this beer. Coast has a good reputation in South Carolina, and I'm hoping they can expand someday and branch out to the rest of us, It's a shame PA doesn't get this beer.

07-14-2009 19:37:28 | More by Ezekiel81923