HopArt IPA - COAST Brewing Company

HopArt IPAHopArt IPA

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007

Walking a fine line of sweet malt and assertive hop character. A hop presence so enticing it truly is a work of art.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of HopArt IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 545 | Reviews: 240
4.97/5  rDev +24.9%

Bomber into a Duvel Glass. Bottled 1-17-2010

A. Hazy dark Orange/Caramel color. 2 finger white head. Beautiful. Wish I could upload a pic.

S. Great hop aroma as soon as I popped the cap.

T. Delicious hops right up front with malt quickly following it up and ending with a nice dry finish.

M. Silky smooth all the way. Very satisfying.

D. Wow! What a great beer for my first review. Spent the last few days sampling many great beers, but decided HopArt was worthy of my very first review. Can't wait to serve my friends and customers Coast Beers. This is what Craft beer is about.

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

Finally got to try this. Poured into glass to reveal an amber orange color with perfect half inch white head. Smell is fantastic.. Pineapple and grapefruit followed by hops..taste is the same except with a subtle hint of malt to balance it out..doesn't take away from the tropical fruits at all. Finally comes the slightly bitter, crisp clean finish. All in all, a great IPA...one of my new favorites.

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%

What can I say, FRESH is BEST. The bottle is good, but way better when the keg is less than 2 weeks old.

A: Slightly cloudy golden amber color with a nice fluffy off-white head. Moderate to heavy lacing.

S: Fragrant fruity hop scent with mild pine and citrus undertones.

T&M: Nice and smooth, tastes better than the smell. Nicely balanced with a mild taste of malts that offset the heavy hop bitterness. Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy. Medium bodied with a slight roughness due to the high hop content.

Excellent local brew in SC. I'm an IPA fan and on-tap this is definitely one of my top five!

4.8/5  rDev +20.6%

Tasted from bottle, tap and growler.

This beer represents what all American IPA should be.

Looks perfect. Great head, nice lacing in the glass. Deep golden color with the faintest hint of amber.

Bright hoppy aromatics. Smooth, but not too smooth to boast its big Hop intensity. Notes of citrus pith and piney herbs.

Want more.

I feel that this is the perfect American IPA. Perfect, seriously. It walks the line of bordering a double IPA without really stepping onto it which also clearly defines itself well beyond American Pale Ale which not enough breweries can do.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

A-Cloudy orange/yellow with creamy white head, great retention and lacing
S-Citrus and pine hops
T-Grapefruit,orange and pineapple with the perfect balance of pine and malt.
M-Medium body and the bitter hoppy aftertaste you expect from a quality IPA.
D-All day everyday if it were available where I live
Overall-Next time I visit Charleston I will definitely have one or many on tap.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

I had this beer at Gene's Haufbrau in Charleston, SC on tap. This was my first time tasting this beer. I had read about it on BA, so it was high on my list of beers to sample. I must say, I was not disappointed.

A - Hazy orange glow. Had nearly two fingers of white head.

S - Beautiful hop aroma of citrus and grapefruit flavors.

T - Bitter, but smooth. The hops dominate at first, giving way to a carmel, malt flavor.

M - Smooth and silky.

D - Wow! It lived up to expectations. There were other beers on tap, but I had to have another pint.

Highly recommended.

4.7/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured a pint glass, nice white head with very good lacing down glass.Hazed (unfiltered) orange copper color.
Very much a hoppy beer though the malt does not take a back seat. Piney citrus with a solid biscuity aroma.
Again a very hop forward elixer that delivers on pine reson and some citrus, nice and in your face here. The malts are in this strong too, nutty toasty malt tones hold strong.With a touch of alchol before the dry bitter finish.
Nice smooth creamy oily mouthfeel on this brew.
I love this stuff, the abv is the only thing holding this back from session beer. But my god 3 or 4 pints are all the way around awesome.Coast hits'em out of the park folks, seek and drink. DO IT!!!

4.69/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is, indeed, very much a work of art. It has a nice, hoppy punch, but not the kind that whacks you over the head with bitterness and intensity. Oddly enough, the hops taste almost sweet in this IPA. Well done.

4.62/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great IPA!

A: It is a cloudy beer with orange tint. The off white head lingers.

S: Citrus fruits, piney and floral. (typical IPA smells)

T: The taste is very balanced between the bitterness and sweetness of the malts. It is a perfect combination and is very refreshing.

M: Carbonated, but not too much. It seems to be just right.

O: This was my first time trying Hopart and will be buying it again. It is a great IPA and it is brew locally for me which is always a plus. Anyhow if you see it give it a try. I doubt there will be any regrets.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Traded my Stone 9th Anniversary growler for a growler of this with riverjames.

A
Cloudy, orange. 1/2" head. White and thick bubbles. Looks like a hefe but darker.

S
Citrus. Delicious. Lets get it on!

T
Oh, yum. Just enough sweet. Bitter all the way through.

MF
Great, good carbonation.

D
Easily could drink a 6pack. I'd enjoy more. This was a 6 day old growler with a standard screw top. I was worried that through shipment and possible oxidation that it wouldn't taste fresh. But, it tasted very fresh.

Thank you riverjames.

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a golden copper color with a thick white head that sticks around for a little while. Moderate carbonation that remains while I enjoy. The aroma is definatly unique in hop character, several different hops are likely being used. I definately get the typical floral and citrus hop aromas from American hops as well as some more earthy notes and the sweet malt comes through to balance. The beer flavor is very balanced, one of the most balanced IPAs I've ever had which may be a testement to the freshness as well as the brewing practices. The malt body and slight sweetness comes through first with the nice floral and citrusy hop flavor coming in next with a crisp bitterness and carbonation for the finish. The flavor lasts for a while in my mouth but leaves me wanting another sip shortly after. The beer has gotten better since I first tried a year ago (it was good then as wee). This is likely due to the brewers getting their system and recipe nailed down. Excellent beer.

4.55/5  rDev +14.3%

Visited some friends down in Charleston, made it my own personal mission to track down some Coast beers. HopArt seemed to be on tap at some of the local restaurants so I made a push to eat at some of these places. Had it a few times on tap as well as few growlers I brought home with me.

Appearance: On tap the service must've been a little slow, by the time I got the beer the head was more or less gone, but pouring out of the growlers I had no problem getting a 1-1.5 finger head to form at the top. The retention was amazing, it never really went away, and CO2 bubbles kept it alive as they streamed up my glass. Color was a murky reddish-brown color, not all that clear. Lacing was exceptional, left foam all over the sides of my glass.

Smell: Smelled a bit spicy, as well as some mild floral hop notes. A bit citrusy, some sweet malts sneaking in. Not the most attractive smell, the peppery scent that came through sort of muddled the hop aroma that I love so much, but I won't hold it against the beer.

Taste: I absolutely loved this beer. I am so upset that this isn't distributed outside of the greater Charleston area. The peppery scent I picked up is detectable in the taste, but it is not overwhelming. There are hints of something sweet, perhaps honey as others have mentioned, or maybe its just a sweet sugar or malt sweetness. It is not overbearing at all however, as the hop profile of pine and a hint of citrus is still prevalent. East Coaster for sure.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy. Slight bitterness in the finish. Medium bodied, a few of these might fill you up. But a few is all you'll need.

Drinkability: The 7.7% isn't very easy to detect in the taste of this brew, but it'll hit you after a few of these. I would drink this all night if it weren't for the ever intensifying buzz it gives you.

I was not able to find this in bottles, If I had I would have brought home a whole lot of this beer. Coast has a good reputation in South Carolina, and I'm hoping they can expand someday and branch out to the rest of us, It's a shame PA doesn't get this beer.

4.54/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Murky off-orange brew has a thick white head on it with tons of grapefruit and tangerine in the aroma. Taste has a good bit of fresh earthy and leafy hops, very fresh taste. Starts citrusy before a fresh bitterness overwhelms. A nicely crafted hop bomb that doesn't overload the palate. Finish is clean and bitter. Very good beer here from a local brewery, ranks among some of the best IPAs I have had.

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%

22ounce bottle with a date of 3/18/2008. Consumed on 07/07/2008.

I was lucky enough to pick this one up right from the source several months back and have enjoyed it a couple of times since. I felt last night it really needed a proper review, so I busted out the glassware and went at it right. Served initially right out of the fridge, but allowed to warm up to room temp over time and poured into a nice pint glass.

The pour was very nice. A rich, and hazy amber tone came out of the bottle and splashed down into the glass. Nice carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass gave way to a full two inches of foam across the top. Very nice retention as this one did not really let down at all, and even still left copious amounts of side glass lace all over the place. Sticky would be a good word for the look of this one. The aroma was very well balanced. Resin like pine notes coming across first and then changing over into a mix of sugary malts and a biscuit like middle. The flavor though was a little bit more focused on the hops. Perfect balance here with a rich, thick feel and a wonderful sense of completeness in the profile. Nice use of pine hops and a fresh grass like flavors. Smooth with a coating texture that really made the flavor stick to your mouth and did not let you forget what the taste was like. I was shocked by how good this was the first time I had tried it. Alcohol was completely buried and it was utterly smooth as silk. I could have drank this one for days, it was the perfect balance and ideal session ale for me from the very first taste.

Overall to say that I was impressed with this would be doing it an injustice. This was easily one of the best IPA's I have had, and to know it was coming from a good local brewer just makes it all the better. I would have no issue with having this one on tap in my house everyday of the week! I would seek this out if you come through town, it is definitely worth it!

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received this in a recent trade with raverjames. Thanks a lot man!

Pours a cloudy golden orange/peach color with golden burnt orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger yellowish foam head. Very good retention, only slowly settling into a lasting cap that coats the glass with sheets of chunky soapy lacing.

Earthy floral hop aroma with lots of sweet citrus notes. Plenty of dank oily hops with hints of grapefruit, mango and lemon peel. Subtle earthy pine character and light malts.

Chewy resinous full body with lots of earthy dry hops and sweet citrus flavor. This beer is amazingly fresh with lots of luscious dank oily hops as well as both dry pine and sweet citrus notes. Lots of mango, grapefruit and lemon peel character with a ton of dry bitterness and dry earthy pine needle. Slight alcohol presence toward the end of the swallow that lingers into the dry finish. Nice biscuit/graham cracker malt backbone provides some balance but doesn't detract from the glorious hop flavor at all. I loved this beer and wished that I had better access to it. Highly recommended!

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. There is a bottling of 1/17/10 on the bottle, so I'm psyched to be getting into this one fresh. By the way, I love the label art for this one. It's some of the best that I've seen in a while.

Pours a beautiful clear coppery amber, with several stiff foamy fingers of slightly off-white foamy head. Nice rich and frothy retention to this, with a great flareup that leaves thick clumps of patchy lacing down the sides of the glass. The aroma is fresh, floral, and a little peppery smelling, with a rich blast of sharp resins and herbal character that sticks in the nose. Extra notes of citrus and malt add a touch of sweet balancing tang to the nose.

The taste literally DRIPS with hop character. Resins, oils, and spice. The flavor here is just so fresh and bright tasting, packing a LOT of hop flavor without coming off as overly harsh or bitter. Green citrus and malt gives this a silky sweetness across the back before spice and bitter grapefruit takes holds of the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a sleek and oily feel to it that is VERY easy in the mouth. I'm not getting any warmth at all here for a 8% beer and I'm really digging the mellow creaminess that pulls up the back of this as you swallow. Both greatly help take the drinkibility of this up a notch.

Wow, this is one that I've been wanting to try for a while now (especially after having had their awesome Boy King DIPA) and this did not disappoint in any way. The hop profile on this was, dare I say, almost Pliny-esque with the way that it pushed the fresh and delicious aspects of the hops to the forefront without making the drinker deal with a heavy amount of bitterness that you usually find with hop bombs of this magnitude. Packed with flavor, well balanced, and insanely drinkable, this was some fantastic stuff. One of the better American IPAs out there IMHO. Freshness seems key with this one and I can't wait to seek this out on draft next time I'm down in the Charleston area.

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a COAST pint glass

A - Pours a hazy orange-amber with a creamy white head. Retention is outstanding, as is the lacing left on the glass. A beautiful IPA.
S - Tons of juicy, pungent hops. Grapefruit, pineapple and orange peel dominate with just a bit of caramel malt for sweetness.
T - Very hop forward, again I'm getting lots of grapefruit, pineapple and orange with a good amount of pine resin. Solid backbone of caramel and biscuit. Perfectly bitter finish. I really like the hop profile on this, tastes so fresh and "green".
M - Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Feels just right in the mouth, very smooth. No alcohol detected.
D - Exactly what I look for in a good IPA, I could drink a ton of this.

Another great brew from COAST, every time I have a beer from them I'm thankful they are so close. Great brewery, great beer!

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

a: hazy orange in color, with a white head that shows great retention and moderate lacing

s: juicy tropical hops (orange citrus, passionfruit) and some florals, flavorful but clean caramel malt base, moderate sweetness, love a high-hop moderate-malt balanced IPA

m: soft yet full-medium carbonation, with a body just on the heavy side of medium

t: very similar to the aroma, fresh hop flavors reminiscent of various tropical fruits and sweet citrus, clean flavors of caramel provide a strong malt base, high bitterness with hop flavors lingering long, quite delicious

d: drinks more like a 5%, a very enjoyable beer, might be able to drink a six but this one does creep after a few

on-tap at High Cotton and Charleston Beer Works...sampled the Red Legs, but this was so good I had to stick with it

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

appearance: more on the golden apprearnce with
a little red glow, not much.

smell: decent hop aroma, piney

taste: balanced ipa, nice pine flavors

mouthfeel: light-medium bodied

drinkability: a good IPA with a decent backbone, so far Ive had this and blackberd from this brewery and they are top notch

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Reviewed from notes: Growler from the Source. Thanks Jacob.

appearance: copper orange with a 2 finger off white head

smell: orange, grapefruit, caramel, malts,

taste: citrus hops, sweet malts, well balanced

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: great IPA so glad to have a connection in the south that can send me fresh growlers whenever I fell the need.

Cheers,
The CPJ

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

Big up's to Rbald42 on this long lost brew i've been wanting to try for a long time. Overall, this did not dissapoint, and actually better than I expected. Bottled on 1/13, so nice and fresh. Big amber pour, chunky fluffy head. Nice citrusy piney nose...taste was the same, but a nice sweeter maltiness that is sometimes missed in our beloved west coast ipa's. This was way to drinkable, almost finished it without enjoying it. Overall, i have had a ton of the east coast ipa's but this is up there with the best, and pretty close in my top 10 for all IPA's.big thanks on this, need more.

4.48/5  rDev +12.6%

A massive three finger head quickly reaches the top of the glass and is light tan in color. Retention is solid and caverness bubbles leave dots of lace. Body is a hazy wheat colored amber. Nose has a subtle fresh citrus based hop feel, with a hint of musky spice and alchol. First sip gives a lovely refreshing hop feel that is crisp and very citrus based. There are some mineral tones on the back of the tongue but this beer stays smooth and quinching. Some even zesty bitterness is there but not harsh at all. At 7.7% there is no alchol bite at all. Mouthfeel is clean with a hint of bitter and hint of thickness. Off the chart drinkability. This is a stellar IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Picked this beer up at Green's Beverage Warehouse in Columbia, SC. Bottle date appears to be 6-21-10.

A: Pours a deep amber - very cloudy with yeast floating. A nice 1/2 inch head comes with the pour.

S: Smell is all hops. Citrus and pine. Not much malt.

T: Very hop forward. I get a little malt, a little caramel, but mostly the piney hops. Nice bitter finish.

D: Very drinkable for 7.7%. The hops stay throughout the session. I could drink this daily.

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

A - pours an light orange, yellowish color with a heavy 3" froth. Great lacing with a lot sticking on the glass.

S - pleasant pine aroma with some sour apple and fresh lemon zest. Hops are teasing my nostrils in addition to some sugary, caramel malts.

T - very nice blend of hops, pine and some apple zest on the finish. Just a really great blend of taste in here. Very appealing.

M - crisp and refreshing with medium to high carbonation. It sticks around for just a little bit beggin you to have more.

O - what an excellent iPa. Wish I bought more.

4.45/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 2/16/11! A huge debt of gratitude to rnorgart for sending this up to me. He's a great trader to deal with.

A: Extremely hazy, copper orange with an off-white head that has above average retention. Lacing is above average as well.

S: Pine, pineapple, grapefruit.

T: There is a huge blast of citrus fruits that blends nicely with a touch of caramel malt and slight peppery spice from the hops.

M: Medium bodied for an IPA, with a slightly grainy feel.

D: Wow! I can't believe that this beer doesn't get much recognition. I would put this in the top 10 IPA's I have ever had. They cram so much hop aroma and flavor into it.

HopArt IPA from COAST Brewing Company