1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

32°/50° - COAST Brewing Company

32°/50°32°/50°

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Our take on a kolsch style ale that is soft on the palate with a delicate malt flavor. Balanced with a touch of wheat and honey notes .Dry and wine like with a flowery hop finish.

(Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007)
View: Beers (45) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 215 | Reviews: 113 | Show All Ratings:
goindownsouth

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Consumed vom Fass at Coast on 06/07/08.

Golden and effervescent in appearance. Huge head with brisk carbonation although extremely heady out of the barrel. Aromas plentiful of freshly mowed grains and subtle hop tones with just a twinge of citric action in the background. Smooth on the palate, hardly astringent. Very clean and refreching with decent dryness. Highly quaffable in every way imagineable, a [German] session Bier defined. Balanced, delicious, and low in alcohol. Perhaps the best sub-5% craft Bier I have had in a LONG time.

Hats off to Jamie and David for this one. An absolute gem in my book. I would have this one on [not-so] slow drip intravenous if I could rig it. Well worth the trip to Charleston but I will be happier when they will be able to distribute to the Upstate.

Zum wohl!

06-08-2008 17:23:06 | More by goindownsouth
ncvbc

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

I was lucky enough to try this at Coast today and while I liked each of the three I tried this was probably the favorite. My first taste of their beer and certainly not my last.

Straw to golden in color with a big head and lively carbonation. Some lacing down this nice COAST pint glass. Very clear and bright, shimmering color.

Smell is fairly subtle and of wheat and grain. A soft hop presence of lemon zest and grassy notes and also a little yeast. Inviting to say the least.

Very flavorful stuff. Good lingering hop bitterness riding along a very clean flavor profile. Grain, wheat, somewhat biscuity, and a little fruity twang to it. Also a hint of peppery spice. Very clean, refreshing finish with the slightest dryness.

About as drinkable as they come. Multiple pints of this were no problem and you don't have to worry about it sneaking up on you later. Session defined.

This is quite the enjoyable brew, especially with the warmer months coming up. I'm very glad to have tried this. It would be cool if this got bottled because not only is the beer great but the label would be nice, too.

03-31-2008 01:36:03 | More by ncvbc
softcough

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

Sampled both on tap and from a growler.

Truly exceptional representation of the style. The best Kolsch I've ever had outside Germany and perhaps still the best even within.

Beautiful color, elegant head. Nice citrus notes in the aroma. Taste and mouthfeel are perfectly refreshing. Delicate but pronounced hints of citrus fruit, wheaty cereal notes and spice.

Could drink a great deal of this. If only they would bottle this beer it would be the ultimate summer outing brew.

03-29-2008 17:02:06 | More by softcough
kkipple

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this on tap super fresh just after the release from Coast. Coast is a new venture in Charleston, and the idea is to bring eco-friendly, organic craft brews to the beach. I admit I was quite curious to try the new brews, and approached their launch with high hopes. Beach beer has a reputation for being a bit boring, and I was secretly hoping Coast would buck the prevailing trend. How glad I am to report that if the initial batches are any indication, Coast is off to a very good start indeed. But, on to the review.

The 32/50 -- what's that you say? Yeah, I wanted to know too. I was told the 32/50 refers to longitude and latitude. Makes sense when you lookit a map.

Anyway, the 32/50 hits my glass and foams up; a hazy, yellow-gold beer with a bright fluffly white head that settles down quickly, leaving a bit of lacing.

Nose into the glass, I get lemon-citrus, some grain and wheat, mild bitter hops and a grassy, ever so slightly yeasty note. The smell is good, clean with no off flavors and screams "refreshing".

32/50 tastes great, and that's high praise coming from someone who is pretty ambivalent towards Kolsch on a good day. Too many American breweries do it wrong, but this is a big step in the right direction. Fizzy, light fluffy beer flares up in my mouth, with a rush of tasty yet subdued flavors. Wheat, light malt, gentle hop bitterness, and simple fresh grain all make an appearance. The overall impression is a light, simple, eminently drinkable beer. It's easygoing, yet avoids being boring.

Mouthfeel is quite active, the carbonation blows up in my mouth, leaving a creaminess that's quite delightful. Finish is soft sour citrus with a touch of wheat / grain.

I admit I had this about as fresh as you're going to get it -- I was standing 20 feet away from the fermenter -- but even so, Coast has knocked this out of the park. It's a perfect example of how to "Americanize" a style. Liven up the flavor, maybe up the alcohol, break a few rules (like not filtering this one completely), but keep what was great about the style in the first place; in this case the drinkability and lightness of character.

This is an excellent beer. Far better than the Kolsch offerings from Harpoon and Flying Dog, you'd do well to seek this one out when on the Charleston beach. I look forward to the day I can take a few cans of this down to the waterfront...

10-22-2007 04:58:14 | More by kkipple
MarkSCCOT

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a take on the Kolsch style by David Merritt, a former brewer for Palmetto Brewing and the Head Brewer/Owner of Coast Brewing.
Davis and his wife, Jamie were active in the legislative movement to get the abv cap raised here in SC. Once this movement succeeded, the damn broke and great craft beer flooded into the state.

A. A great yellow hazy brew with a moderate head and slight lacing.

S. Good healthy malt background with a hint of hop. A clean fruity aroma.

T. Very true to the style with a clean finish. On the negative, I heard a beer fan state "it could have used a week." When I stopped by earlier in the week they were still filtering the beer with the deadline of their opening looming on the horizon. I will follow this beer in the future and I know it will only continue to refine itself.

M. Very clean and refreshing finish. Among the non-"Hop Heads" at this opening, this was a favorite. Need I say more?

D. Very drinkable, very clean, very true to Kolsches. This is a style that the US has wrongly not yet embraced.

A great light session beer!!!!

10-21-2007 00:07:56 | More by MarkSCCOT
GarthDanielson

3.99/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a bright, crystal-clear, golden-yellow coloring with a halo of bubbly, white head. Nose of toasted grains, wet hops, and a heavy, floral highlight. Flavors of biscuit, butter, jasmine, bitter hops, and tangy sweetness. Very balanced and clean. Smooth and light in mouth, with a clean, crisp finish. Aftertaste is clean, with hints of hops spice and bitterness. Great brew.

02-28-2014 04:07:53 | More by GarthDanielson
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

4.41/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a tall tulip

A: Pours a slightly hazy light golden color with a finger of fluffy white head. Retention is good, lacing is excellent.

S: Very refreshing - lemon zest mixed with a light to moderate graininess and an earthy, lightly floral hop aroma. Bright, well balanced, I wouldn't change a thing.

T: Graininess comes out a little stronger in the flavor, along with a light fruity sweetness. Hops come across as quite earthy with a light floral accent.

M: Medium thickness with a fairly strong carbonation.

O: The aroma on this beer is remarkable. Balanced, complex, refreshing - everything I want in a Kolsch. The flavor is a touch heavy without quite the same brightness I got in the aroma, but it is still excellent. I love this beer. I wish Coast distributed it to Atlanta.

08-01-2013 23:56:59 | More by coreyfmcdonald
wedge

3.74/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on: 06/28/13

Pale straw yellow color covered with a small, creamy, pure-white head. Subtle fruit, soft malty sweetness, grass, and low sulfery yeast aromas. Grass and lemon hop bitterness, subtle fruity yeast, apple dryness, faint sweet toasted grain. Creamy smooth, a bit under-carbonated. Pretty nice and authentic, though honestly, after a few glasses now, it's never really grabbed my attention all that much.

07-22-2013 01:34:43 | More by wedge
JoeAmerican77

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Procured by my epic best neighbors ever on their trip back to the states. My first ever beer from Coast Brewing Company, CBC, poured from the bomber into my pilsner cup...

A - Clear dehydrated piss yellow, with one finger of white cap carbonation leaves lacing down the glass.

S - Sweet, cut grass, and wheat on the nose. I wish I could detect more.

T - Refreshing wheat, with a small bite of hop in the front adding spice. Smooth pilsner malt keeps it down to earth.

M - Full body, brilliant large and medium bubble carbonation, nice and chewy. Possibly the best bodied kolsch I've ever had.

CBC thank you, hands down the best Kolsch I have ever tasted. The flavor and mouthfeel are superb.

07-17-2013 10:07:52 | More by JoeAmerican77
zac16125

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

growler into a pilsner glass

A: Pours a crystal clear, very light yellow, almost Chardonnay colored. Tons of carbonation bubbles can be seen racing up the glass, similar to a pour of champagne. 1.5 fingers width of bright white head hangs around for the majority of the drink and leaves tons of honeycomb lacing.

S: Aroma is bready, biscuity, slightly vinous like dry white wine. Some spice, and grassy hops. For such a light, generally simple, style this has a lot going on. Im impressed so far.

T: Pale-type malts, sweet citrus, bready, mild hop spice/bitterness, there is a yeasty presence thats almost Belgium-esque, a moderate degree of spice. Again, surprisingly complex for the style. Really enjoyable.

M/D: Light, crisp, moderately heavy carbonation which is appropriate, somewhat drying. Great drinkability.

O: Ive had tons of COAST beers, but have always passed on this one because I generally am not a fan of the style. But wow, what a surprise this is. For a style thats generally pretty blah, this one is excellent! A light, refreshing beer thats also complex and big on flavor. This one's a winner.

Serving type: growler

04-13-2013 21:01:25 | More by zac16125
patre_tim

China

4.65/5  rDev +11%

A: Bright yellow urine like colour, 1 finger white head. Clear filtered, almost no carbonation.

S: Malt, white grape, dry and wine like.

T: Malt, bitter, white grape, white wine, long bitter finnish following the initial bitter in quality. The bitterness is like a white grape fruit rind (as opposed to ruby red) toned down in strength. Dry finnish.

M: balance of body and carbonation makes it smooth. It’s a medium light body with medium low carbonation. Dry finnish.

O: Very pleasant, very balanced, to me it’s a great representation of this style. Keeps me sipping. Would go well with light meats like chicken breast with mozzerella.

01-22-2013 17:26:25 | More by patre_tim
steveh

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

A new beer from a new brewery I'd never heard of. Thanks again to Herr B. for a great trade.

22 ounce bomber, bottled on 8.26.12.

A -- Hazy pale straw color with a fluffy, long-lasting white head.

S -- Spicy hops right up front, my bet is on Hallertauer, maybe Tettnang. Mild DMS and some mellow grains.

T -- The flavor is very interesting; starting with the spicy hops and some mellow fruit esters folding into some grainy characters and mineral water then smooth, mellow Pils malt -- almost sweet. The finish is somewhat citric with spicy bitterness in the aftertaste and a lingering graininess from wheat malt.

M -- The mouthfeel is smooth to crisp with a light body and dry finish.

O -- A definite keeper and good quaffer over any long-haul. Delicious enough to keep you wanting another swallow without being overbearing on the palate.

10-26-2012 21:04:59 | More by steveh
Jamesthebrit

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Hazy lemon color. Head is minimal but stays for a good amount of time.

S: Light on the smell. A little lemon and yeast.

T: Smooth, lemon, yeast, good hop backbone. Balanced well. A lot of flavors for a lighter beer. Malt is there but not overpowering.

M: Sits great for a light beer. The bubbles are light on the palate and a good amount of malt comes through.

Overall a great go at the style. A good blend of flavors and has the perfect amount of body for a lighter beer. COAST seems to make some killer beers: I recommend grabbing one if you ever see it.

10-16-2012 20:48:37 | More by Jamesthebrit
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Momar42 for the bottle! About 6 oz poured into a beer mug.

A: Pours a light straw color with a surprising amount of cloudiness and strong looking carbonation. The head is a two finger white color with good retention and texturing.

S: Grassy hops and neutral malts - it doesn't blow me away with its aroma, but I can tell it's a very high quality product.

T: Incredibly smooth, with an initial hit of lemony esters. I love the finish, it's just about perfectly bitter with the grassy hops and balanced delicately. Slight touches of subtle complexity add to the experience of this. Just insanely good, plain and simple.

M: Light, crisp, refreshing, and just amazing. I have nothing to complain about here, it's so drinkable and easygoing without being boring.

O: Oh, wow. This one lives up to the hype in my opinion - I could totally kill multiple bombers of this in an hour's time; the drinkability is insane. I'm gonna search this one out in the future.

09-29-2012 20:12:21 | More by ThisWangsChung
RussBecker1

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Most important in tasting Coast's 32/50 is to first understand the purpose of this particular brew. This Kolsch is exceptionally light on the palate and is meant as more of a cleansing agent than a pairing beer. Upon knowing and appreciating that, one will find that it does its job exceptionally well.

From a personal standpoint, pilsners have never struck much of a chord with me as I have always found them to be rather bland and lifeless. This particular pils has changed my mind entirely as it still manages to encapsulate the classic pils smells and tastes while adding many layers of intricacy. The nicest part about the brew however is the fact that it enhances whatever you may eat or drink following the beer as your palate is freshened and clear of any distracting agents. I will certainly have this again.

09-02-2012 22:47:07 | More by RussBecker1
theveganbrewer

Oregon

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked up in a 22 ounce bottle for 6.99 at the Whole foods in MT. Pleasant.

Light yellow in color with fluffy white head that dissipatesbfairly quickly. Nice lacing. Streams of carbonation running up the sides.

Aroma has hints of fruit, possibly apple, along with some spicy hops and a little sulphur along with wheat.

Taste is quite well balanced with a creamy softness in the malt combined withbsome spice from the hops and a slight tartness. Very dry, leaving gums quite dry. Slight bitterness lingers after sipping.

Happy I picked this up when I was in town, it seems to stand up to its good reviews.

08-29-2012 06:17:28 | More by theveganbrewer
JCaweinstein

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Pale yellow in color, very nice one finger creamy white head, lots of carbonation. This looks very refreshing and adds some decent lacing down the glass as well.
On the aroma side of this I smell wheat and a wonderful herbal hop aroma.
The taste starts with wheat followed by a slight touch of honey and finishes with the slightest herbal hop flavor.
This is a light bodied beer, it's crisp too. Starts with the wheat and finishes with herbal, flowery hops and honey and leaves almost no aftertaste.
This is an extremely pleasant beer for the summer season and one I would love to enjoy again.

08-28-2012 02:14:03 | More by JCaweinstein
Momar42

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle dated 051112 poured into a Spaten stange.

Tried to find this one on tap but my timing didnt work out so it's a bottle I go:

A - very light, cloudy yellow. Billowy head with tight, tiny bubbles that fades but leaves nice lacing down the glass.

S - lemons, wheat, slight barnyard. A tartness is present but faint. Suprisingly good nose for such a mild style. Spiceness and wheat are upfront.

T - taste follows the nose. Almost like a light german wheat beer. Not really a fan of this style but I find myself wanting to drink more of this. I have a quest for a good drinking, flavorful summer brew and I think I may have a winner.

M - light to medium. Carbonation brings a nice balance and the finish is so smooth.

O - I have to admit that I am not real familiar with this style, and my expectations were low. This offering from COAST really exceeded them by alot. I am glad I got two bottles so I can enjoy it again later. A really good summer brew that can be enjoyed anytime. If you can get your hands on this, do yourself a favor and grab it.

07-03-2012 02:22:42 | More by Momar42
AleWatcher

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Bomber into stange.
Glorious looking beer; pale straw-colored yellow with a slight haze to it and a stark white head of two shiny fingers.
Smells of a little grainy malt bill with a light honey-touched wheat note. Very dry, musty white grape-like finish. The flavor is nice and refreshing with a crisp bitterness at the backend.

Feels medium-bodied and well carbonated. Just about right.

Overall-- this is a great Kolsch. Maybe not the best I've had, but absolutely worth drinking. I'll be happy to have this one again.

05-26-2012 23:41:21 | More by AleWatcher
woosterbill

Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3-week-old bomber into a Duvel tulip. Huge thanks to Modernartblues for hooking me up with this one, a long-time want.

A: Slightly hazed straw body under a finger of frothy white head. Ok retention, nice lace. Pretty good.

S: Crisp, clean, balanced aroma of herbal + lemony hops on top of subtle, bready malt. Simple, to style, and terrific.

T: Opens with a bit of hop bite but quickly opens into a rich, clean, crackery malt midsection. The finish has a touch of spice, some moderate hop bitterness, and a lovely undertone of clean minerality. Absolutely delicious and refreshing.

M: Soft, light, bubbly. Excellent.

O: Incredible beer. I wish I could get cans of this all the time, as I might drink nothing else in the summer - I can only imagine it's great year-round in SC. It's got all the crisp refreshment of a great Pils combined with the fruity hop punch of a pale ale, all wrapped up in a supremely drinkable sub-5% package. We have a winner.

Cheers!

05-20-2012 01:58:23 | More by woosterbill
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

A gracious extra from thagr81us. Thanks Calton, this beer has been on my radar for a long time. This went from the shipper to the freezer then directly into my glass.

The beer is golden yellow with a slight haze and a quarter inch of lasting, white head.

The aroma offers floral notes, hops, lager malt. Very good. A top notch aroma for the style.

Great flavor. Really smooth. Floral hops and lager working together in harmony.

So easy to drink and light on the palate. I would like a sixtel of this, please.

Overall, this lived up to and even exceeded expectations. Yum.

05-03-2012 02:38:40 | More by Huhzubendah
BlackBelt5112203

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass at fridge temperature.

L - Straw-to-pale gold color with a thick bubbly 2 finger white head. Crystal clear, pretty nice retention, a decent amount of carbonation, nice lacing.

S - Definitely malty, some yeasty wheat-like banana aromas, a hint of lemon, maybe a touch of earthy, grassy hops.

T - Sweet bready maltiness and honey flavors up front with some slightly spicy, grassy, floral hop bitterness coming in at the end. Perfectly balanced.

F - Light-to-medium bodied, mouth-tingling carbonation, with a crisp, slightly bitter, and very dry finish. Nice and refreshing for sure.

O - This is an amazingly balanced and tasty beer and is perfect for a summer day. You get malty sweetness and hop bitterness, refreshing dryness and carbonation, and a lower ABV to keep you going in the heat. As someone who's not too crazy about weizens, this is a great alternative for a thirst-quencher.

03-27-2012 00:31:05 | More by BlackBelt5112203
Onenote81

Finally was able to find this one during a trip to the Upstate last weekend. Bottled on 12/21/11. Poured into a stemmed lager glass.

Pours a slightly-hazy pale gold with a lusciously thick bone-white head. Great retention. Sticky sip rings cling to the glass. The nose is sharp with grassy notes, lemon-lime, floral hops. Body is effervescent and lively. Sweet citrus flavors join arms with a subtle green hop twang that is lip-smackingly good. This beer errs on the mild side, but it is packed full of flavor regardless. Refreshing and tasty. Loved this one.

02-15-2012 13:57:16 | More by Onenote81
mdaschaf

Washington

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Review from notes. Consumed at the Moo Bar.

A: Pours a golden yellow color with a large white, foamy head on top, very fizzy. Pretty good retention, leaving some streaky lacing down the sides.

S: Plenty of lemon citrus up front, grassy hops, and a little bit of spice. Faint bready malts.

T: Light bready malt mixed with lemon and plenty of grass. Slightly sweet finish with a touch of honey.

M: Light to medium bodied, very crisp and easy drinking.

O: Beginning to like Kolschs more and more. Another great beer for a hot day.

01-31-2012 20:57:06 | More by mdaschaf
kylehay2004

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Very golden with mustard hues. Very white thick single finger head with good retention and lots of lacing. A very attractive brew. Aroma is as buiscutty as they come with some light banana/pineapple notes and grain mixed in. Flavor is heavy on the wheat and biscuit up front with transition to a subtle spicy yeast and noble hops like finish. Honey notes aren't there for me. Light to medium in body with moderate to high carbonation. An excellent kolsch which for me are usually too dry and bland whereas this one is not overly dry and has a traditional flavor with some additions to make it more interesting.

12-19-2011 23:32:40 | More by kylehay2004