32°/50° - COAST Brewing Company

32°/50°32°/50°

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Our take on a kolsch style ale that is soft on the palate with a delicate malt flavor. Balanced with a touch of wheat and honey notes .Dry and wine like with a flowery hop finish.

(Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007)
3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Hazy lemon color. Head is minimal but stays for a good amount of time.

S: Light on the smell. A little lemon and yeast.

T: Smooth, lemon, yeast, good hop backbone. Balanced well. A lot of flavors for a lighter beer. Malt is there but not overpowering.

M: Sits great for a light beer. The bubbles are light on the palate and a good amount of malt comes through.

Overall a great go at the style. A good blend of flavors and has the perfect amount of body for a lighter beer. COAST seems to make some killer beers: I recommend grabbing one if you ever see it.

Jamesthebrit, Oct 16, 2012

BlueFeetAndBeer, Oct 10, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Served on tap at the brewery, in a pint glass. Poured a golden yellow, produced a large white head, featured excellent retention and left ample amount of lacing on the glass. The Aroma of this classic German style consisted of malted grain, pear and lemon rind. Light in body, this brew had an excellent smooth mouthfeel, a base of malted grain, earthy grass and a crisp finish. This is a nice version of the style, refreshing, great lawnmower beer, great session beer.

GossageBrewery, Oct 05, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to Momar42 for the bottle! About 6 oz poured into a beer mug.

A: Pours a light straw color with a surprising amount of cloudiness and strong looking carbonation. The head is a two finger white color with good retention and texturing.

S: Grassy hops and neutral malts - it doesn't blow me away with its aroma, but I can tell it's a very high quality product.

T: Incredibly smooth, with an initial hit of lemony esters. I love the finish, it's just about perfectly bitter with the grassy hops and balanced delicately. Slight touches of subtle complexity add to the experience of this. Just insanely good, plain and simple.

M: Light, crisp, refreshing, and just amazing. I have nothing to complain about here, it's so drinkable and easygoing without being boring.

O: Oh, wow. This one lives up to the hype in my opinion - I could totally kill multiple bombers of this in an hour's time; the drinkability is insane. I'm gonna search this one out in the future.

ThisWangsChung, Sep 29, 2012

Satchboogie, Sep 23, 2012

t0rin0, Sep 15, 2012

Khemist05, Sep 15, 2012
4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Most important in tasting Coast's 32/50 is to first understand the purpose of this particular brew. This Kolsch is exceptionally light on the palate and is meant as more of a cleansing agent than a pairing beer. Upon knowing and appreciating that, one will find that it does its job exceptionally well.

From a personal standpoint, pilsners have never struck much of a chord with me as I have always found them to be rather bland and lifeless. This particular pils has changed my mind entirely as it still manages to encapsulate the classic pils smells and tastes while adding many layers of intricacy. The nicest part about the brew however is the fact that it enhances whatever you may eat or drink following the beer as your palate is freshened and clear of any distracting agents. I will certainly have this again.

RussBecker1, Sep 02, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

Picked up in a 22 ounce bottle for 6.99 at the Whole foods in MT. Pleasant.

Light yellow in color with fluffy white head that dissipatesbfairly quickly. Nice lacing. Streams of carbonation running up the sides.

Aroma has hints of fruit, possibly apple, along with some spicy hops and a little sulphur along with wheat.

Taste is quite well balanced with a creamy softness in the malt combined withbsome spice from the hops and a slight tartness. Very dry, leaving gums quite dry. Slight bitterness lingers after sipping.

Happy I picked this up when I was in town, it seems to stand up to its good reviews.

theveganbrewer, Aug 29, 2012
4.18/5  rDev 0%

Pale yellow in color, very nice one finger creamy white head, lots of carbonation. This looks very refreshing and adds some decent lacing down the glass as well.
On the aroma side of this I smell wheat and a wonderful herbal hop aroma.
The taste starts with wheat followed by a slight touch of honey and finishes with the slightest herbal hop flavor.
This is a light bodied beer, it's crisp too. Starts with the wheat and finishes with herbal, flowery hops and honey and leaves almost no aftertaste.
This is an extremely pleasant beer for the summer season and one I would love to enjoy again.

JCaweinstein, Aug 28, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

crwrunner, Aug 24, 2012

ckk527, Aug 09, 2012

THECPJ, Jul 16, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle dated 051112 poured into a Spaten stange.

Tried to find this one on tap but my timing didnt work out so it's a bottle I go:

A - very light, cloudy yellow. Billowy head with tight, tiny bubbles that fades but leaves nice lacing down the glass.

S - lemons, wheat, slight barnyard. A tartness is present but faint. Suprisingly good nose for such a mild style. Spiceness and wheat are upfront.

T - taste follows the nose. Almost like a light german wheat beer. Not really a fan of this style but I find myself wanting to drink more of this. I have a quest for a good drinking, flavorful summer brew and I think I may have a winner.

M - light to medium. Carbonation brings a nice balance and the finish is so smooth.

O - I have to admit that I am not real familiar with this style, and my expectations were low. This offering from COAST really exceeded them by alot. I am glad I got two bottles so I can enjoy it again later. A really good summer brew that can be enjoyed anytime. If you can get your hands on this, do yourself a favor and grab it.

Momar42, Jul 03, 2012

ksimons, Jun 11, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +6%

Bomber into stange.
Glorious looking beer; pale straw-colored yellow with a slight haze to it and a stark white head of two shiny fingers.
Smells of a little grainy malt bill with a light honey-touched wheat note. Very dry, musty white grape-like finish. The flavor is nice and refreshing with a crisp bitterness at the backend.

Feels medium-bodied and well carbonated. Just about right.

Overall-- this is a great Kolsch. Maybe not the best I've had, but absolutely worth drinking. I'll be happy to have this one again.

AleWatcher, May 26, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

3-week-old bomber into a Duvel tulip. Huge thanks to Modernartblues for hooking me up with this one, a long-time want.

A: Slightly hazed straw body under a finger of frothy white head. Ok retention, nice lace. Pretty good.

S: Crisp, clean, balanced aroma of herbal + lemony hops on top of subtle, bready malt. Simple, to style, and terrific.

T: Opens with a bit of hop bite but quickly opens into a rich, clean, crackery malt midsection. The finish has a touch of spice, some moderate hop bitterness, and a lovely undertone of clean minerality. Absolutely delicious and refreshing.

M: Soft, light, bubbly. Excellent.

O: Incredible beer. I wish I could get cans of this all the time, as I might drink nothing else in the summer - I can only imagine it's great year-round in SC. It's got all the crisp refreshment of a great Pils combined with the fruity hop punch of a pale ale, all wrapped up in a supremely drinkable sub-5% package. We have a winner.

Cheers!

woosterbill, May 20, 2012

ahatcher78, May 04, 2012
4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

A gracious extra from thagr81us. Thanks Calton, this beer has been on my radar for a long time. This went from the shipper to the freezer then directly into my glass.

The beer is golden yellow with a slight haze and a quarter inch of lasting, white head.

The aroma offers floral notes, hops, lager malt. Very good. A top notch aroma for the style.

Great flavor. Really smooth. Floral hops and lager working together in harmony.

So easy to drink and light on the palate. I would like a sixtel of this, please.

Overall, this lived up to and even exceeded expectations. Yum.

Huhzubendah, May 03, 2012