32°/50° - COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Kölsch |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007

Our take on a kolsch style ale that is soft on the palate with a delicate malt flavor. Balanced with a touch of wheat and honey notes .Dry and wine like with a flowery hop finish.
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
4.51/5  rDev +7.4%

Big thanks to raverjames for sending this in a recent trade.

Pours a clear, pale golden yellow color with a one finger foam white head that quickly settles into a lasting ring.

Earthy grassy aroma with nice grassy hops, light crisp fruit, straw and biscuit malt. Hints of faint apple and pear but the earthy grassy hops dominate.

Pretty carbonated up front, probably too much so, with a light crisp sweet yet earthy body and dry effervescent finish. Subtle bready yeast with light crisp fruit notes, namely apple and pear along with a nice earthy, grassy hop presence. The honey used adds some additional sweetness but this beer is excellently balanced and complex. One of the best examples of the style. Highly recommended! (728 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Nice example of a Kolsch, albeit one that trades some of the crispness for a more rounded, fuller flavor- which in itself is remarkable given the low 4.8%abv. Growler from the Charleston Beer Exchange. Pours a classic light golden with good clarity. The head is somewhat slight, but the carbonation is fine and I'll chalk that up to the growler. The smell is rounded rather than crisp with an almost nutty aroma of lager yeast and some gentle hops. The taste is also rounded, with a bit of butteriness and some lager yeast up front, but with a refreshing noble hop crispness that is long and refreshing. Really nice lingering bitterness makes this quite satisfying and makes it feel a bit more full bodied than it really is. Becomes more delicious with every sip. Quite nice. (775 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

64 oz growler from charleston beer exchange

pours super pale straw color, with a decent head, with some good lace.

smells a bit grainy with light fruits and citrus. sweet malts and hops. taste is also sweet with a bit of grass. very crisp and refreshing. VERY refreshing. light body good carbonation. would session this beer all day long (339 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this at the Battery soccer game last week. Yes, they sell this at the local semi-pro soccer games! Anyway, it was a great beer for the time, especially since it was a bit hot out. It had a nice light fruit/wheat taste to it, as well as a malty backbone. The slight hint of the hops didn't overpower the others. The head was thick and creamy, even lasted a while in a plastic cup. Definitely going to have another at tonights game! Go Battery!!!! (449 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Purchased a growler at Charleston Beer Exchange on 7/5/09. Consumed the next afternoon.

Quite an aggressive foamy head forms atop a golden pale beer. Has some nice structure and is almost creamy. Then this fades to a small ring of foam around your glass. Some light visible carbonation and no lacing to speak of.

Aroma is of yeast, light toasted grains and a bit of sweet dough.

Flavor is really nice and quite fruity. I'm not sure I've ever called a Kolsch complex, but this has a lot going on. First you are hit with some delicate fruit flavors, then a touch of sweetness and malt, before heading into a nice bready clean finish.

Mouth feel is crisp and body is fairly light, but not too light. Crisp and refreshing, a nice summer session beer with character.

A good Kolsch for sure. This is a nice gateway beer and one to share with those wanting to enter the craft beer world.

Well done! (898 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Growler purchased at the Charleston Beer Exchange for ~$15 with tax. Poured into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass. I want to preface this review with the fact that I typically do not care for this style. It just seems like most of the options I have had didn't bring a lot to the table that a glass of water doesn't already bring.

A: Crystal clear straw like yellow with a large head that does settle a bit but never completely goes away. What is there leaves huge sheets of lacing on the side of the glass. This one definitely looks better than the other examples of the style I have seen.

S: Aroma is composed of paler malt with hints of lemon and grassy hops. It has definitely gotten my attention.

T: The taste follows what I got from the aroma. Very pale malts provide a hint of sweetness and the citrus and grassy hops balance out the beer leaving a nice crisp finish. This beer doesn't wow you with flavor like some other bigger style brews, but it is damn refreshing and does let you know you are actually drinking a beer. The best tasting example I have had.

M: Thin body, but I would not call it watery at all. The carbonation adds just a small amount of tickling to the tongue.

D: This one goes down super fast, especially when you are at the beach in the hot and humid south. (1,292 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +16%

A- As golden as the sun in South Carolina, this beer pours with a big head and diminishes into a crystal clear golden pint. It could be mis-understood for a simple beer, but just wait!

S- As you take a smell, you notice that this is not just a domestic, it has scents of spice and corriander. In addition, you can smell the grain, and not the force carbonation that haunts many light beers. This is the first chance you have to realize that this beer is quite exceptional.

T- This is possibly the most important quality of a light beer. People don't generally approace a Kolsch as a challenge as they would a baltic porter or an imperial stout. This beer is refreshing and light with a pronounced grain flavor with a light spice note that has to be tasted more than once to fully understand what just happened in your mouth! that kicks over to the freshest hop finish I have ever tasted in any style of beer!

M- The downside to many light beers are in this catagory. This one is good, but falls into the same trap of having a light and watery edge that cannot be dodged. I would likely be disappointed with anything else for the style, but I just think it is a downfall to the style in general.

D- This is where the beer really shines. When I drink this beer, I feel as though I could continue to drink it forever! I never grow tired of the classic flavor with the artistic hints of spice in a summer mainstay. This beer is better than anything out of Cologne, and you can find it right here in South Carolina.

In summary, this beer is in my top 10 that I have ever tried. Not only is it the best session beer I have ever had, it is so stylistically difficult to present a classic Kolsch and still wow the un-informed drinker away from their bud's. If anyone has ever attempted a Kolsch, you can appreciate the dedication to quality in this brew and the organic ingredients and spice choices, shows that the brewers of this ale are truely taking the style to the next step!

If you make this the first Kolsch, you will love the style for the rest of you life! (2,065 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am ecstatic that COAST has hit Myrtle Beach. About f'ng time if you ask me. This brewery has been hyped to the extreme and I need to test their wares.

The beer pulls a crystal golden color, with a solid head of tiny bubbles that just don't want to leave. The lacing is nice.

The smell is light malt and bready notes with a wee bit of alcohol in the back.

The taste follows the nose, there is little flavor, but the beer is extremelt crisp and refreshing. This is an excellent summer beer to drink in large quantities. Good Job Coast, I cannot wait to get some more of your offerings. (588 characters)

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Growler shared by Ding at the BSP.

Pours a very light, clear straw color with a small white head that left decent lacing while maintaining a ring.

The aroma is very clean and dominated by light sweet malts with hints of light fruit sweetness and hops.

There is an apple sweetness to the taste that is complemented by just enough hops to leave a clean, crisp finish.

The mouthfeel is as crisp as I've ever had in a beer and leads to exceptional drinkability...I could have taken down this entire growler in short order. A great kolsch. (538 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Tried this courtesy of Ding - thank you sir!

Pours a crystal-clear pale straw color with a thin white head that quickly recedes into a wispy layer of bubbles on top. Solid lacing.

Smells of pale malts and noble hops - mildly sweet with an underlying grassy aroma.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Light malt sweetness is soon joined by a mild bitterness that does just enough to produce a clean finish. As with the smell there's a grassy undertone.

Mouthfeel is good. It's light, but that's to be expected, and the carbonation is crisp.

Drinkability is good. I could easily have a few of these, and the low ABV is conducive to that.

Overall this is a solid beer for the style, although I have to admit I'm still developing an appreciation for said style. This would be a great summer beer, to be enjoyed while playing bocci ball. Thanks again to Ding for sharing this. (874 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Had this on-tap at Gene's Hofbrau.

A - Pours clear golden with a minuscule white head.

S - The sort of fruity, flowery aroma of prior Kolsches I've tasted is present here, with some sweetness

T - The light and fruity hops is very well applied here, not overpowering but give the brew its defining characteristic. The sort of earthy, wheaty, grain quality is present and everything is pleasantly balanced.

M - On the thin side of medium bodied.

Notes - Another winner from COAST. (484 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Poured from a growler to a pilsener glass. Had a darker yellow color and a clear consistency. There wasn't much head, but there was decent lacing.

S: A nice aroma dominated by malt, floral hops and almost citrusy quality.

T: You get a lot of malt up front, followed by floral hops and some lemon. A refreshing flavor.

M: A zesty amount of carbonation and a fairly dry finish. A lighter-bodied beer.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. It's very light and goes down easy. This would be a good summer beer. (509 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

I've had it many times at COAST, and at a few restaurants and bars around town.

It's very pale and perfectly clear - I think it's the only beer that COAST actually filters, and only because people expect it. I've tasted it unfiltered though, a lucky occasion I think. But it looks beautiful and has a decent white head.
I love the smell and taste of it. You can smell the light fruity German hop pallet and the taste has almost no bitterness but incredible hop flavor, balanced by the light sweetness in the malt. Nothing is too much and nothing is underdone. I love this beer and I could drink it in any situation for any period of time.

I hope I'm not slanting my opinions too much because this brewery is in the town where I live, but it's rare that I can find something I'd rather go drink than this or COAST's other brews.

I've certainly had this one the most, though. (876 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

never thought i'd be giving a beer all 5's, but i just can't find a reason not to with this one--until two years later. for what it is, it's simply (almost) perfect. shimmering and beautiful, great head and lace, the taste and smell of fresh grain accompanied by an intriguing fruitiness and perfectly balanced by the hops. i would drink this (and shower with it, pour it over my cereal, etc.) every day if it were available in my area.

5/pint (yikes)

v: oz1 al1 2.5 (468 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Consumed on tap at the source 8/15/2008.

So I made my way back down to COAST after a nearly 6 month delay! Graciously welcomed as always, I was thrilled to see them again as well. Sat down and chatted for a while, drinking a few pints while I was there. This one was not quite ready the first time I cam up, so I was glad to see it today.

The pour was wondeful, bright golden yeloow with a slight haze and huge carbonation. Fully frothy white head with great retention adn a good amount of side lace ta boot. Smooth aroma, light grains, hints of light fruit and a slight touch of citric. Easy smooth flavor, hardly a drop goes by that you dont remark as to how easy drinking this is. Light grain, hints of fresh grass like hop notes just barely there, just enough to let you know. Quick clean finish, lots of carbonation, light body, shit pretty damn perfect "Lawnmower beer"(There ya go Bill)

Overall outstanding, probably the best session ale I have had in I dont even know how long. This was intense, tight, perfect. I was in heaven. Thank you Jamie and David for brewing such a wonderful ale. This is the kind of thing that can break a market wide open. (1,160 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Kolsch! The name refers to the lat./long. coordinates of the brewery but does not give much away in terms of style. That is what I refer to as "too clever by half". Oh well.

It was presented in a room-temperature glass with a thin, bone-white head with moderate retention. The color was spot on - a beautiful, deep-golden yellow with NE-quality clarity. The nose was muted, slightly malty, but not terribly present. Mouthfeel was medium with a light, dry, lemony taste on the tongue. Finish was dry and refreshing. This would be perfect on a hot, humid day such as the one that I was experiencing in Charleston, SC. (616 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

Consumed vom Fass at Coast on 06/07/08.

Golden and effervescent in appearance. Huge head with brisk carbonation although extremely heady out of the barrel. Aromas plentiful of freshly mowed grains and subtle hop tones with just a twinge of citric action in the background. Smooth on the palate, hardly astringent. Very clean and refreching with decent dryness. Highly quaffable in every way imagineable, a [German] session Bier defined. Balanced, delicious, and low in alcohol. Perhaps the best sub-5% craft Bier I have had in a LONG time.

Hats off to Jamie and David for this one. An absolute gem in my book. I would have this one on [not-so] slow drip intravenous if I could rig it. Well worth the trip to Charleston but I will be happier when they will be able to distribute to the Upstate.

Zum wohl! (808 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

I was lucky enough to try this at Coast today and while I liked each of the three I tried this was probably the favorite. My first taste of their beer and certainly not my last.

Straw to golden in color with a big head and lively carbonation. Some lacing down this nice COAST pint glass. Very clear and bright, shimmering color.

Smell is fairly subtle and of wheat and grain. A soft hop presence of lemon zest and grassy notes and also a little yeast. Inviting to say the least.

Very flavorful stuff. Good lingering hop bitterness riding along a very clean flavor profile. Grain, wheat, somewhat biscuity, and a little fruity twang to it. Also a hint of peppery spice. Very clean, refreshing finish with the slightest dryness.

About as drinkable as they come. Multiple pints of this were no problem and you don't have to worry about it sneaking up on you later. Session defined.

This is quite the enjoyable brew, especially with the warmer months coming up. I'm very glad to have tried this. It would be cool if this got bottled because not only is the beer great but the label would be nice, too. (1,104 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Sampled both on tap and from a growler.

Truly exceptional representation of the style. The best Kolsch I've ever had outside Germany and perhaps still the best even within.

Beautiful color, elegant head. Nice citrus notes in the aroma. Taste and mouthfeel are perfectly refreshing. Delicate but pronounced hints of citrus fruit, wheaty cereal notes and spice.

Could drink a great deal of this. If only they would bottle this beer it would be the ultimate summer outing brew. (477 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Had this on tap super fresh just after the release from Coast. Coast is a new venture in Charleston, and the idea is to bring eco-friendly, organic craft brews to the beach. I admit I was quite curious to try the new brews, and approached their launch with high hopes. Beach beer has a reputation for being a bit boring, and I was secretly hoping Coast would buck the prevailing trend. How glad I am to report that if the initial batches are any indication, Coast is off to a very good start indeed. But, on to the review.

The 32/50 -- what's that you say? Yeah, I wanted to know too. I was told the 32/50 refers to longitude and latitude. Makes sense when you lookit a map.

Anyway, the 32/50 hits my glass and foams up; a hazy, yellow-gold beer with a bright fluffly white head that settles down quickly, leaving a bit of lacing.

Nose into the glass, I get lemon-citrus, some grain and wheat, mild bitter hops and a grassy, ever so slightly yeasty note. The smell is good, clean with no off flavors and screams "refreshing".

32/50 tastes great, and that's high praise coming from someone who is pretty ambivalent towards Kolsch on a good day. Too many American breweries do it wrong, but this is a big step in the right direction. Fizzy, light fluffy beer flares up in my mouth, with a rush of tasty yet subdued flavors. Wheat, light malt, gentle hop bitterness, and simple fresh grain all make an appearance. The overall impression is a light, simple, eminently drinkable beer. It's easygoing, yet avoids being boring.

Mouthfeel is quite active, the carbonation blows up in my mouth, leaving a creaminess that's quite delightful. Finish is soft sour citrus with a touch of wheat / grain.

I admit I had this about as fresh as you're going to get it -- I was standing 20 feet away from the fermenter -- but even so, Coast has knocked this out of the park. It's a perfect example of how to "Americanize" a style. Liven up the flavor, maybe up the alcohol, break a few rules (like not filtering this one completely), but keep what was great about the style in the first place; in this case the drinkability and lightness of character.

This is an excellent beer. Far better than the Kolsch offerings from Harpoon and Flying Dog, you'd do well to seek this one out when on the Charleston beach. I look forward to the day I can take a few cans of this down to the waterfront... (2,380 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

This is a take on the Kolsch style by David Merritt, a former brewer for Palmetto Brewing and the Head Brewer/Owner of Coast Brewing.
Davis and his wife, Jamie were active in the legislative movement to get the abv cap raised here in SC. Once this movement succeeded, the damn broke and great craft beer flooded into the state.

A. A great yellow hazy brew with a moderate head and slight lacing.

S. Good healthy malt background with a hint of hop. A clean fruity aroma.

T. Very true to the style with a clean finish. On the negative, I heard a beer fan state "it could have used a week." When I stopped by earlier in the week they were still filtering the beer with the deadline of their opening looming on the horizon. I will follow this beer in the future and I know it will only continue to refine itself.

M. Very clean and refreshing finish. Among the non-"Hop Heads" at this opening, this was a favorite. Need I say more?

D. Very drinkable, very clean, very true to Kolsches. This is a style that the US has wrongly not yet embraced.

A great light session beer!!!! (1,088 characters)

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last