Rye Knot Brown - COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.20% ABV

Availability: Fall

A full bodied dark brown ale. Intense malt character with a slight caramel sweetness. The chocolate and rye malts add to the rich roasted coffee notes.

(Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 10-21-2007)
4.58/5  rDev +8%

22oz bottle, courtesy of modernartblues, into a Duvel tulip.

A: A steady pour results in nearly 3 fingers of creamy, frothy light brown head above a body that's such a dark brown that it's barely distinguishable from a stout. Definitely darker than expected for a brown ale, but I'm hoping that's a promise of malty goodness to come. Very inviting.

S: Not a stout, but not that far off: plenty of roasted malt jumps out right away, lending hints of coffee and dark chocolate to a base of rich caramel. I'm not getting much in the way of rye, but otherwise the label's promise of coffee, chocolate, and caramel is spot on (and I didn't read that until after I made my initial observations, I swear!). The coffee is just huge for a brown ale, and I'm loving every bit of it.

T: Big and intense up front, with coffee and chocolate leading the way. After the initial wave of roastiness, smooth crystal malt makes its presence felt, followed by a hint of spicy rye on the tail end. Only the faintest hint of earthy hoppiness shows up on the finish, but together with the roastiness its enough to keep the malt sweetness in check. Overall a very well-integrated set of flavors. Delicious.

M: Smooth light-to-medium body with moderate, unobtrusive carbonation. A little more heft might have been nice, but I'm not really complaining.

D: It's so delicious that I could drink multiple bombers easily, but I have to acknowledge that the substantial roastiness makes it a bit more challenging than your typical brown ale. I prefer stouts and porters to browns in general, so it doesn't bother me in the least. Still, I could see a fan of Newcastle or SN Tumbler being overwhelmed by this one.

Notes: Yet another great beer from COAST. This is only the third one of their brews I've had the pleasure of trying (still sitting on a Blackbeerd), and the first malty one. You never know what to expect from the other side of the spectrum, but it only took one sniff for me to know that Rye Knot was every bit as special in its own way as HopArt and Boy King. Complex without being cloying, smooth without being simple, this is probably the best American Brown Ale I've ever had. Thanks a ton, Eli!

Cheers!

woosterbill, Dec 07, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

Boy am I glad I could try this...quite interesting to say the least.

Pours a very dark brown with ruby edges and an off-white tannish head that settles to a ring. Smell reminds me somewhat of Bender, which can only be a good thing. Some chocolate and caramel, hints of roasted coffee, along with some spicy aromas that must be coming from the rye. Quite a journey when it comes to taste but it's great. Lots of malt flavors. It's sweet a good deal of the time but the rye adds this spice to the beer that is lovely. Great blend of flavors. Some chocolate, caramel, and toffee up front and definite coffee in the aftertaste. The spicy flavor from the rye is a great compliment to a darker beer. In many cases a hop bitterness would be where the spice comes through and while I love my hops this is some good stuff. Medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Smooth and mostly creamy aside from a great rye finish. It doesn't have a dryness but leaves an interesting sensation following the vevlety beginning. Very drinkable. I certainly got through a large pint with no problem and only hope to try this again in the future. Another winner from COAST!

ncvbc, Apr 02, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +11.3%

I've had this on tap, and casked with chocolate nibs (probably my favorite experience, if only for the one-or-two night possibility), but this review is for one of the bottles released.

Poured out a dark brown with red hues around the edges, almost like a porter. Not a big head, but there are little swirls of tan bubbles lying on top the whole way down and some lacing. The smell is of earthy hops and spicy rye. I can even smell a bit of the roasted malts, I think there's a bit of chocolate rye in this, combining my two favorite smells. The taste is sweet with that rye kicker. I don't know how else to describe the taste of rye in beer for anyone who hasn't had it, but I love it, especially with a bit of roasted goodness. Very smooth drinker, with a wide range of different flavors to seek out. I could enjoy this in any setting. Too bad there probably aren't any more bottles, and I don't know about the current tap situation of this beer, but I suppose that's part of the joy of seasonal beers.

taylorhamrick, Nov 25, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +12%

MonkeyboyATL, Nov 30, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +15.1%

Sampled on tap at the Brewgrass festival in Asheville, North Carolina. Consumed on 09/20/2008 and reviewed from notes taken at the time.

I have had this before, straight out of the tanks, but hardly fair to review it in such capacity. Thrilled that Jamie and David made the drive up I bee lined for this booth and hung out for a bit getting more then my fair share  the pour was very nice, rich, semi translucent hazelnut brown color. Some carbonation, but hard to make anything out through the color. A smallish tan head came up over the top and let down slowly revealing some nice side glass lacing.

The aroma was rich as could be, big caramel and chocolate malt notes ruled the day here. A slight hint of a peppery like spice tingling the nose, had to be the rye. Very rich though, and very well balanced. The flavor was more of the same. Very nice, medium feel to this one, was just light enough to be able to be session able, but filling enough to thoroughly coat the palate and relieve give you a great sense on its presence. Very nice flavors here, as it works across the tongue. Big not of caramel and chocolate on the first sip, that faded and was quickly replaced by a hit of spicy rye. Very interesting mixture here, and if you had presented the idea of a chocolate rye brown ale to me I would have never thought it would have work, but hot damn, does it ever. One of the best tasting brown ales I have ever had, hell if it isn't the best. So well balanced with a delicate sweet and yet spicy profile that really is just a thrill to behold. Very easy to session this one as the ABV is low and the sippable factor is huge here.

Overall I would love to have this on tap locally. One of the finest beers I have tasted in quite a while, and the uniqueness here is unparallel. If you can get down to Charleston you have just got to try this, it is simply one of a kind.

mikesgroove, Sep 24, 2008