Blackbeerd Imperial Stout - COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 12-08-2007

As dark as the legend of Blackbeerd himself, behold the Imperial Stout. Sweet malts battle roasted grain on the decks of yer tongue. Like a blast from a cannon, hop are followed by smoked malt. Hold on to yer booty, a dark stouts a brewin'.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackbeerd Imperial Stout Alström Bros

I have tasted this beer on tap, bottled and from a growler.

An all time favorite. Absolutely stunning appearance of deep dark intrigue with perfect head retention.

Aromas of roasted coffee beans, vanilla and woody notes. Taste has all this plus dark dried fruit and a nice hop backbone to balance.

Wonderful mouthfeel, luxurious. Too easy to drink despite its big body and bold abv.

Please brew more. (405 characters)

I have had this about 3 times in the last 2 weeks, so now I must review it.
This stout looks perfect for the style. Carbonation is med-low and the head is brown. The smell is of chocolate, caramel, and slight hops. The taste is wonderful. You can taste rich toasted malts and chocolate with a smooth finish. Actually, this beer is way too smooth and drinkable. I can down one after the other. I would say this stout is similar to dark lord, if you removed the licorice flavor from DL and aged it for a few years. I have tried DL, Kate, and sexual chocolate, but coast's Blackbeerd is my favorite. It is an impressive offering from a small brewery in N. Charleston. This beer could not be made by a better group of people either. I would recommend this to any stout fan. I hope the get a bottling line soon so it will be easier to get this brew out the door. (858 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +21.7%

Oh hell yeah. SO this was the reason my ass was in Barleys to begin with. The 2008 version of my lovely blackbeerd. Having been blown away by the last version, knowing this one was a little more hopped, I could not wait. Served chilled and allowed to warm before sipped, this one was consumed on 12/31/2008.

The pour was wonderful, rich dark black in color with a two inch head of tn that went absolutly no where. Rich, decadent, opaque, evil. Perfect.

The aroma was loaded with molasses and notes of vanilla and chocolate. Rich like a dessert with nice hints of coffee poking out as it warms and a touch of brown sugar almost that was creeping in. The taste was spectacular. Rich, smooth, creamy feel was perfectly carbonated and just heavy enough to let you know the style. The first sip was like heaven as a wave of sweet chocolate and vanilla washed over the tongue. Light touches of coffee and molasses show up mid palate just in time to set you up for a light pine bite that gave this one that nice little kick at the end it needed. Perfectly sippable with no alcohol in the flavor and nothing but the smoothest approach possible.

Overall, blown away. I thought it was good last time, but Jamie and David have outdone themselves. Easily my favorite local stout, this was just nearly perfect. (1,300 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +20.2%

A full three fingers of light brown head crackles as it slowly fades leaving a Swiss cheese like wall of lace that is an inch thick in itself. Body is pure oil blackness as expected. Nose is nicely chocolately fudgy and includes some rich smokey notes and even includes some banana bread tones. Rich tingling darkness enters the mouth with dark chocolate, fudge, and some rich vanilla. The malts are very toasty and carry a consistant smooth thick richness. Some dark fruits are present on the palate with maybe a hint of over ripe cherry. No bones about it, this is an exceptionally complex and well made imperial stout. Mouthfeel is creamy and full of dark chocolate and carmel and tons of vanilla. Off the chart drinkability for a Impy stout. Wow! Just Wow! (760 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to stopbarking.
Pitch black. Opaque in color with a solid 3 finger tan head that recedes and holds for awhile at 1/2". Lace sticks to the glass as it empties into Davy Jones Locker.
Wonderful aroma of fresh pipe tobacco and a burning brush pile.
Flavorwise this Impy Stout has it all. Smoked grains, fruit(I taste blackberries, cherries, and cantalope) I know cantalope is unusual for the style and beer in general. But I swear I taste cantelope. Mild hints of French Roast coffee with touches of dark chocolate and molasses. All of these flavors mix and are balanced perfectly. This beer can hold it's own with the best Imperial Stouts in the world.
Mouthfeel is a bit light bodied for the style. But I think this was done on purpose by the brewers as this beer drinks like a stout....not so much an imperial stout. To me that's a good thing as my 22 oz has been consumed and my head's spinning.
My only disappointment with this beer is that I don't have any more. If I had another bomber I'd crack it open right now. (1,028 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

Many thanks to kkipple for this bottle, hand bottled at the brewery a week or so ago.

Pours almost pitch black with a single finger of very tight, light tan head that settles to a ring and single layer, and lasts forever. Leaves no lacing. When held to the light, it's brown around the edges but still very dark.
The nose is wonderful. Rich dark malt and roasted grain notes, dark fruits, burnt wood, some faint hop-bittering, with a good bit of alcohol. Let this one warm before trying to sniff it, though.
Initially sweet like molasses, then with acrid grain and cocoa coming in. The burnt grain and alcohol round out the flavor, leaving behind a dark-chocolate like aftertaste. The colder it is, the more it tastes like burnt grain, while as it warms it balances better, and even becomes a little sweet.
Mouthfeel is velvety-smooth and coats the mouth. Carbonation is medium-low, and alcohol is warming in the finish. If I hadn't already had Dark Lord, this would get a five. It's excellent.
Drinkability is as high as one could expect in this style. I highly recommend that you try this beer if at all possible. I'm happy to have them here in SC and can't wait for more of their stuff. This brewery is going to be a heavyweight in craft beer in a few years. Cheers! (1,272 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16%

This is a new release from Coast Brewing, It replaced Coast Rye which was a solid beer.

A. Black. Should an imperial stout be different? Get a thesauraus, throw out at me synonyms for black. This is the epitome for a dark stout. Black and low carbonation. Black, hear that black....move on.

S. Chocolate, coffee and beer, This is a stout. Good, solid and and thick. Good? Yes!!!

T, Same as the bouquet. A solid RIS and available locally. Hell yeah!!!!

M. Can you drink stouts all day? Yes? Than you are luckier than me. A SOLID STOUT. COLD? hell yeah!!!!

D. Let it cool down to serving temp , then hell yeah!!!! This is an epitome of what a stout should be... (664 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

I am reviewing this off notes I found, when I had it after it's first release. Had it on tap at Charleston Beer Works.

Solid black color, motor oilesque, with a nice tan head to it. The smell was of dark chocolate, coffee, and a slight hint of hops. Taste was exceptional. If it makes sense, it was a solid taste of smokey chocolates, with a touch of hops, but it wasn't too filling. Almost a lightness about it. The alcohol, though high in this beer, was almost hardly detectable. Good coating mouthfeel. With a review like this, would it be anything other than drinkable as hell? I would rate this as easily one of my top RISs. Looks like Blackbeard still owns chucktown after 100s of years. ARRR! (701 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance: The beer poured a dark black with slight ruby highlights from the light. Plenty of lacing.

Smell: Amazing aroma of chocolate, dark fruits, coffee and dark bread.

Taste: Nice bready maltiness with hints of chocolate and coffee. Interesting hoppiness to it which provides a nice citrus note.

Mouthfeel: Full body with little to medium carbonation.

Overall: Fantastic brew! This one would be great during those cold winter nights!! (444 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottled on 2-18-08. Pours a deep reddish/brown that looks entirely black in the glass. A rather small one finger tan head crowns the beer. Smells of alcohol and dark fruits dominate with some roasted malt notes coming through. Surprisingly there is not much coffee or chocolate in the nose. First sip is smooth and mellow with coffee and chocolate now mixing equally with the dark roasted malts and the fruits that are mostly raisin and plum.

As it warms, the true nature of Blackbeerd shows its beautiful face. I find myself anticipating the strong finishing coffee/dark chocolate bitterness swig after swig. The finishing bitterness of Blackbeerd is what makes this Imperial Stout stand out in an ocean that maybe crowded in this style.

Medium carbonation and a somewhat light body, along with a great taste makes me want to session this beer. The high ABV reminds me that I do not have to drink this fast. I have nothing else to do tonight other than drink this lovely beer and call my sister. (1,000 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a small snifter. Jet, all light sucking, black. Highlights are.. well??? Jet black. Small one finger, tan colored and creamy appearing head, but doesn't seem all that carbonated.

Smell is of chocolate and raisins. And oh yeah coffee. Actually a lot of coffee and oh yeah chocolate. Some alcohol and spice and a bit of pipe tobacco.

Taste is initially a lot like the smell but not so much in the same order. There is the tartness of a currant or cherry followed by the deep roastyness flavors of coffee and some bitter chocolate. Late comes a bit of smoke and the alcohol burn.

Mouth is pretty much on par for the style. It is a bit dry from the tartness, but I'm okay with it.

Overall, I must say that this is a wonderful rendition of the style. This is a solid A in my book. Thanks to masterhomebrewer for the chance to try this. (846 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

22 oz bottle into a snifter. Thanks to rnorgart for hooking me up with a bottle of this pretty rare bottled brew in a trade.

Pours a very dark brown/lighter black with a 1 1/2 fingers of creamy mocha colored tan head. Solid 1/2 finger of retention that flares up nicely, leaving a huge cascade of lacing down the sides of the snifter that sticks to the sides with a massive latticework. The aroma reminds me of gunpowder, with some pretty stand out notes of smoked and roasted malts that float in and out of thick accents of chocolate sweetness and dark fruits, and some light coffee. There is also a tingle of floral hops in the back, as well as just a faint bit of heat that tickles the nose.

The taste starts out with a big ole' sweet base of chocolate, caramel, and dark fruit tang that gives way to a charred smokiness and a combo of roasted malt, coffee, and some hop bitterness that livens things up towards the finish. Finishes with a dry, bitter, tangy, feel that hangs on the palette for a bit. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with a moderately creamy carbonation and a slick feel. The overall feel seems just a touch light at times but carries those big flavors pretty well. Alcohol is there but was pretty well hidden even as it warms and even compliments a lot of that dark fruit stickiness that comes out.

I remembered reading in a thread on here that David from COAST suggested not sitting on these bottles for very long because this was their first attempt at bottling their product. Well I'm happy to report that not only have they held up well but that this is another very solid Imperial Stout coming out of the South. With big sweet character, balancing bitterness, and some added smokey character, this reminded me a lot of another great Southern Imperial Stout from Foothills called Sexual Chocolate. Very nice and I'm definitely going to keep a look out for more when they decide to bottle this again. (1,934 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Many thanks to Jamie at COAST Brewing Company for the bomber of this gem.

Pitch black in color with a rich-looking, almost mocha tinted head. Good head retention on this rather viscous brew. The first whiffs were heavy of coffee intertwined with some bittersweet chocolate covered stone fruits. Nice, earthy, soothing. Balanced on the palate with the malty overtones and the slight hop twinge. Super smooth. A very, very fine brew and one of COAST's finest to date. A real find.

Zum wohl! (490 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Damn, this one seems to have some mixed reviews to say the least. Here's my take:

Pours basically black but has some brown highlights, not as pitch dark as your usual RIS. Great tan head with very good retention for the style, just not as potent looking as many I've come across.

Smell is great. Big chocolate and a touch of caramel. Huge roasted coffee scents but they are well balanced with a sugary sweetness that reminds me of a latte or something. A lingering licorice, molasses scent in the background.

Taste is also great. Deep and dark. Very rich and unique. Again, the sweetness hits up front. Tasty chocolate, not much for the caramel here. It's just very clean tasting and rich (organic!). A shot of licorice espresso is thrown in and retains some sweetness with it. Clean, green, earthy hops show up in excellent fashion as well.

Mouthfeel isn't as full as you'd excpect. It's rich, creamy, and like velvet on the tongue but just doesn't have the body of some of the big boys.

To me, the drinkability is off the charts. It won't amaze you like some overall but in this category it does for me. One of those that I wouldn't stop with just a bomber as is the case with most Imperial Stouts. I can't get enough.

It drinks and appears to be a Stout while to me it still has the complexity and flavors of an Imperial. Great stuff. I'm glad I had the chance to try this for sure. (1,393 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottled on 12/09/2008
Received in trade form brentk56, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a solid black color with a decent sized fluffy tan head that shows moderate retention. This smells incredible from the moment I pop the cap until I stick the bottle in the recycle bin. Dark fruits, caramel, licorice, chocolate, hints of smoke, its all in here. Little to no hop presence in the aroma. Taste is caramel and chocolate up front, licorice, dark fruit and faint hints of alcohol and hop deep underneath. Smooth chocolate frappe creamy mouthfeel, light level of carbonation, medium to thick body. I wish I hadn't sat on this one so long because I'd love to know what its like fresh. This is drinking beautifully right now, too bad its the only one I've ever seen. (762 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to khiasmus for hookin me up with both the BA version and this one. Truly great trade.

Alright barks, here we go.

Pours a deep dark impenetrable black with a nice sized tan head that rises easily, and lingers very well leaving great lacing.

Nose is full of roasted malt and chocolate. Some slight coffee presence, and a noticeable hop profile without being too blatant. A slight vanilla presence, and more roasted malt.

Wow. An excellent imperial stout. Very top notch. Roasted malt steals the show early. Coffee and chocolate dominate the middle. A meaty smokiness here. Some slight smoke and a nice and crisp hop presence on the snappy finish. More smoke and roast balance out a hop bite and linger on in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is pretty much right where it should be. The finish is nice and bitter, in the best of ways. If anything it could use just a tiny touch more viscosity, but really borderline unnecessary.

Drinkability is fantastic. The abv barely makes itself known, and with a year or two on this it would be nearly undetectable.

Overall i am very impressed with this imperial stout. I would go so far as to agree with barks that this just may be better than the JD BA version. I really like the hop presence near the finish, and the big roastiness that hangs on all the way through. Wish i had another one of these rarities to put some age on, but that's the way it goes. If you can manage to get your hands on either version of this imperial stout, do not let the opportunity slip through your fingers. This is probably one of the top ten imperial stouts in the nation. Great beer. (1,620 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had this at barley's in greenville SC hanging with mikesgroove. RIS on tap, you don't see that every day in NH to be sure.

A - Pint glass handed over by the bartender with this pitch black brewk with a nice dark brown head.

S - not the best time for aroma as I've got pizza and general restaurant aromas everywhere. What I do get is roasted grains, espresso and dark malts.

T - roasted grains, espresso, molasses with a bitter note that comes up in the finish.

M -full bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth and a light abv note with a residual bitter note.

D - very approachable and if I hadn't had some beer before and pizza, I'd have had another one. Not a 2 beers and drive home brew but a 2 beers and walk back to the hotel or get driven home happy kind of beer. (1,077 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Fantome tulip on 9/15/11

Thanks to PDXHops

Bottled on 06 15 '10

Pours a dark cola brown that settles pretty close to black with some dark brown on the edges. One thumb of riddles-with-bubbles foam starts to drop immediately. Bubbly skim of retention. Scattered specks of lace at the top of the glass; it's more solid farther down.

I like the aroma on this one; straight-forward and enjoyable. Roasted and burnt chocolate and sugars; not overly sweet. Maybe a nip of molasses. There is an ashy sheen on the peripheries. Just a faint layer of tangy roast. The aromas mellows and rounds out over time.

Mmmm... The flavor profile is a layering together of all my favorite imperial stout characteristics. Lots of ashy notes - ashtray to the max! Burnt, bittersweet chocolate. Coffee roast is subtle; it is definitely a lesser component. Very dry throughout - sweetness is kept in the aroma where it belongs. As it gets warm there is a ghost note of dark fruit tanginess.

Full bodied but not heavy. Moderate viscosity with a reasonable amount of carbonation to temper it. Burnt, ashy notes linger on the finish.

Good grief this is a gnarly good beer; exactly what I like. I've had it on several occasions and enjoyed it every time. (1,246 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

22oz bomber (Bottled 2.23.2010) into a tasting glass at the April Austin BA tasting. Props to brent56k for the trade!

Pours with a cola-edged seal brown body that sports a cap of mocha foam. Big bubbles leave behind nice lace. Thick and viscous to the eye (or is that "AYE!"?). Silly pirates. Toasted milk chocolate malts combine with cookie dough and light spices in the aroma. Earthy hops balance the maltiness well.

Much darker malt profile in the flavor than suggested by the nose, as Baker's chocolate lends a sharp bitterness to the tops and sides of the palate. Semi-sweet coffee and more chocolate combines with dank, dark hops on the finish. Soil and peaty roast linger after each sip. The body is creamy, but nicely carbonated to keep the RIS mouthfeel from becoming overly heavy on the tongue. Yum...I need more of this stuff. It's amazing how well COAST brewed this, especially when one considers that the alcohol is so subdued even with less than 2 months on the bottle. Thanks again, Brent. (1,007 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, near black body with a small, tan-colored head.

Smell: Many roasted, charred aspects to the predominately black malt-scented aroma with supporting notes of chocolate sauce, molasses, and dark caramel.

Taste: Heavily roasted, even charred black maltiness cloud the slightly lesser tastes of bittersweet chocolate morsels, blackstrap molasses, and caramel. Medium-high sweetness present. Small dash of anise precedes the growing roasty bitterness, though it doesn't manage to supplant the sweetness. Finishes roasty and fairly sweetish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel that flows just right on the tongue, a very important facet of the style, mind you.

Drinkability: Mmm-mm! When done right, I find an Imperial Stout to be vastly enjoyable. Thankfully, this is one of those. Keep it up, Coast. (861 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle (bomber) dated 022310 courtesy of jpmclaug a few years back. Thank you kindly Jason!

Pours black with a touch of red along the edges when backlit. Tan head puddles to a few soapy islands. Not particularly menacing out of the bottle, but none too shabby either.

Nice blend of coconut, melted caramel, and baker's chocolate greet my fat snout. Big earthen hop presence is a pleasant surprise given the age of this bottle. A promising indicator for the overall aging of this beer. I am hopeful.

This is a pleasant surprise. Earthy hops from the nose provide a firm handshake at the front door. Ashy light bitterness mingles with roast and chocolate. Everything blends wonderfully. From front to back everything rolls effortlessly across the tongue with each nuance playing its role but with each in harmony. Like Lifeson, Peart, and Lee in its precision and complimentary excellence.

Lighter bodied but smooth as hell with a fluffy carbonation. So easy on the palate.

Not the biggest most boisterous bruiser on the block, but damn if that's not overdone at times. This is a wonderful RiS that surprised and impressed me in every way. Hides its size insanely well. I was not impressed with what the Buffalo Trace barrels did to this beer, but I'm happy as hell I didn't give up on the base.One of the more surprising beers, in a good way, in quite a while. (1,364 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Bottled on 12/21/10! Served from bottle into a Green Man snifter. Poured pitch black with a one finger brown head that subsided to a half finger slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocoalte, caramel, and subtle coffee. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, caramel, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, cream, and subtle vanilla. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation but still managed to feel creamy. Overall this was an all around excellent brew. Pretty good flavor and aroma going on in this one. I have tried all of the -bal versions of this before and this is my first time trying the base beer (sad I know)... For the ABV this one sports it is really smooth and enjoyable as there was no sign of the alcohol at all. The flavor was a lot more robust and complex than I was expecting if I'm honest. If you haven't had this before you definitely need to try it at least once, you won't regret it! (998 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Very dark, almost black with a tan/mocha head.

Smell is nothing amazing, just standard American stout with a bit more hops.

Taste is very good, but unique for an RIS. With all the people who complain about people becoming obsessed with 'big beers' this should be one that people are desperate for. Nothing like Dark Lord, or Darkness. It is not sweet, boozy, or barrel aged. It is simply beautiful and incredibly balanced. Almost shockingly balanced. Drinks like a 6% stout, although it get a bit thicker and chewier as it warms up. Contains the usual roasty notes with very subtle chocolate and coffee.

At 9.3% this is a brewing marvel. It completely eschews the standard throw everything into the mash style that has become so popular. It is simply delicious.

Its also a perfect base beer for Barrel Aging, as seen by its Jack Daniels cousin. (848 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Appearance: Pitch black, with just the faintest of auburn highlights around the edge; the massive tan head leaves plenty of foam clumpage around the sides of the pint glass

Smell: Rich bittersweet chocolate, with char, brown bread, dark fruit and coffee elements

Taste: Although the opening is filled with brown bread and chocolate tones, it doesn't take long for the citrus in the hops to add a bitter, fruity dimension; after the swallow, the sweetness returns, with hints of licorice, molasses and coffee on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation; a little lighter bodied than others of the genre

Drinkability: A really fine RIS; perhaps not as full bodied and complex as the top tier, but still very approachable (751 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

A - A nice very dark brown color with caramel coffee head. Some lacing occurs and remains on the perimeter.

S - Lots of chocolate with some coffee and cocoa. A great chocolate smell.

T - Lots of coffee with mild sweetness. The more I drink the more it reminds me of smores for some reason. As the temp rises a little more chocolate bitterness comes out.

M - Doesn't feel too heavy but it does have a bit of carbonation. A nice finish.

D - Actually gets better as the temperature rises. I've had a glass sitting out now for about 30min or so and drink is a little smoother. A little more thick which makes it go down easy. (629 characters)

Blackbeerd Imperial Stout from COAST Brewing Company