Blackbeerd Imperial Stout - COAST Brewing Company

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

Beer added by: MarkSCCOT on 12-08-2007

As dark as the legend of Blackbeerd himself, behold the Imperial Stout. Sweet malts battle roasted grain on the decks of yer tongue. Like a blast from a cannon, hop are followed by smoked malt. Hold on to yer booty, a dark stouts a brewin'.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackbeerd Imperial Stout Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last

A first - and striking - impression is just how awfully light this is for an RIS. A nice head and a colour that is passable for, but not completely, black. It is almost rather a deep brown and exposed by ruby chestnut highlighting. You can go ahead and cross out the usual adjectives of 'viscous', 'oily' and 'thick'. The colours are dark enough to prevent clarity, but still this appearance definitely will draw the ferociousness of this stout into question.

The aroma offers up a long list of pleasant and welcome smells: dark licorice, brewers anise, oats, and light coffee. It is missing two things however: chocolate and roast. I like it but I'm not wowed by it. Unfortunately for Coast Brewing I usually hold the smell of my RIS to a standard of how much it wows me, not simply how pleasant I find it. A great RIS will 'wow' you.

The taste is really neat and provides a few layers of flavour. The first adds a little spice. It is hops, and good supply of them. The taste rings out, not as leafy, but as the actual green leafs themselves. It almost becomes tea like at times. The second is a brilliant profile that pits chocolate and roast along side big, juicy dark berries. Currants, blueberries, and lots and lots of blackberry taste.

What might be a big gooey chocolaty mouthfeel is choked out by either the alcohol or hop bitterness. I can't be positive which, but something has become very obnoxious with warming. The 9.3% is subtle, but not as well integrated into the beer as with other Imperial Stouts.

I know those in South Carolina are over-joyed and excited that the silly alcohol cap law has finally been lifted off their breweries. I think it's something brewers are equally ecstatic about; Coast Brewing's decision to brew the Blackbeerd is evidence of that.

I think, however, they are still in the process of learning the craft of new styles and in particular, the high-gravity arts. This did not 'wow' me, regardless of its many strong points, and neither did their hefty IPA. I think the raving reviews their beers have gotten are more a reflection of a proud and delighted native populace who are deliriously happy their thirst for bigger, better beers is finally being quenched by someone local. Good on them for the support.

I don't wish to put the beer nor its brewers down - I enjoyed it, how could you not? In fact, I'd really love to see a larger batch of this in the future. I'd certainly try to obtain a bottle, maybe even a second, for sharing, to return the favour to my good friend Grub! (2,534 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

Damn, this one seems to have some mixed reviews to say the least. Here's my take:

Pours basically black but has some brown highlights, not as pitch dark as your usual RIS. Great tan head with very good retention for the style, just not as potent looking as many I've come across.

Smell is great. Big chocolate and a touch of caramel. Huge roasted coffee scents but they are well balanced with a sugary sweetness that reminds me of a latte or something. A lingering licorice, molasses scent in the background.

Taste is also great. Deep and dark. Very rich and unique. Again, the sweetness hits up front. Tasty chocolate, not much for the caramel here. It's just very clean tasting and rich (organic!). A shot of licorice espresso is thrown in and retains some sweetness with it. Clean, green, earthy hops show up in excellent fashion as well.

Mouthfeel isn't as full as you'd excpect. It's rich, creamy, and like velvet on the tongue but just doesn't have the body of some of the big boys.

To me, the drinkability is off the charts. It won't amaze you like some overall but in this category it does for me. One of those that I wouldn't stop with just a bomber as is the case with most Imperial Stouts. I can't get enough.

It drinks and appears to be a Stout while to me it still has the complexity and flavors of an Imperial. Great stuff. I'm glad I had the chance to try this for sure. (1,393 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -23.7%

22oz bottle, <i>bottled 2.18.08</i>. Pours black with plenty of ruby highlights and a small beige head, low retention.

A-Some roast--not too much though--starts out the aroma with some cola notes, toasted grain, and a bit of dry dog food.

T-Had a fair amount of earth up front, roasted malts and cola again, and some brown sugar. Dry finish with the bitterness peaking around a 3-4 (out of 10). Alcohol is masked well.

M-Lightly carbonated with a medium body.

Not really that great of a beer. Thanks to <i>kersta8</i> for sharing. (558 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to cokebottle. Thanks for the pour man! Pours a dark brown with a thin tan head. Aroma had chocolate, toffee, and a hint of caramel. The flavor was very similar. Again, chocolate, coffee, toffee, a slight hop bitterness and some brown sugar. It had a slight pickle flavor that I get with a lot of strong wheat beers. Finishes really smooth, not much hint of the abv%. A little thin for the style, nothing really stands out to me. Very drinkable though. (466 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Black with a beige head that retains well. Smell of molasses, caramel, coffee, alcohol, and lactose. Taste of sweet milk chocolate, molasses, licorice, and coffee; very good. Medium body and carbonation. A good beer to drink and quite drinkable, but its limited availability limits you drinking more than one. I'd drink again if they make more. Thank you to kersta8! (366 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Thanks to stopbarking.
Pitch black. Opaque in color with a solid 3 finger tan head that recedes and holds for awhile at 1/2". Lace sticks to the glass as it empties into Davy Jones Locker.
Wonderful aroma of fresh pipe tobacco and a burning brush pile.
Flavorwise this Impy Stout has it all. Smoked grains, fruit(I taste blackberries, cherries, and cantalope) I know cantalope is unusual for the style and beer in general. But I swear I taste cantelope. Mild hints of French Roast coffee with touches of dark chocolate and molasses. All of these flavors mix and are balanced perfectly. This beer can hold it's own with the best Imperial Stouts in the world.
Mouthfeel is a bit light bodied for the style. But I think this was done on purpose by the brewers as this beer drinks like a stout....not so much an imperial stout. To me that's a good thing as my 22 oz has been consumed and my head's spinning.
My only disappointment with this beer is that I don't have any more. If I had another bomber I'd crack it open right now. (1,028 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.7%

Many thanks to kkipple for this bottle, hand bottled at the brewery a week or so ago.

Pours almost pitch black with a single finger of very tight, light tan head that settles to a ring and single layer, and lasts forever. Leaves no lacing. When held to the light, it's brown around the edges but still very dark.
The nose is wonderful. Rich dark malt and roasted grain notes, dark fruits, burnt wood, some faint hop-bittering, with a good bit of alcohol. Let this one warm before trying to sniff it, though.
Initially sweet like molasses, then with acrid grain and cocoa coming in. The burnt grain and alcohol round out the flavor, leaving behind a dark-chocolate like aftertaste. The colder it is, the more it tastes like burnt grain, while as it warms it balances better, and even becomes a little sweet.
Mouthfeel is velvety-smooth and coats the mouth. Carbonation is medium-low, and alcohol is warming in the finish. If I hadn't already had Dark Lord, this would get a five. It's excellent.
Drinkability is as high as one could expect in this style. I highly recommend that you try this beer if at all possible. I'm happy to have them here in SC and can't wait for more of their stuff. This brewery is going to be a heavyweight in craft beer in a few years. Cheers! (1,272 characters)

I have tasted this beer on tap, bottled and from a growler.

An all time favorite. Absolutely stunning appearance of deep dark intrigue with perfect head retention.

Aromas of roasted coffee beans, vanilla and woody notes. Taste has all this plus dark dried fruit and a nice hop backbone to balance.

Wonderful mouthfeel, luxurious. Too easy to drink despite its big body and bold abv.

Please brew more. (405 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Served on draft at Charleston Beer Works. Comes to the bar a pitch black color with a rather dark mocha colored head. Fairly viscous and thick and syrupy. Nice head retention.

Aromas were wonderful. Coffee up front with some bitter chocolate and fruitiness; raisins, figs and black cherries.

Very well balanced. Good uniformity with the hops, which were mildly west coast, seemed more English. Nice maltiness to assist the hop bitterness and flavor to make this a smooth drinker.

I had one pint of this and was pretty much hooked. A great job from these guys. Pretty full on the tongue and chewy. I hope this one stays around for a while as I will certainly seek this out again. (683 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer came with no head retention, nice dark-brown black color. I picked up on malts, chocolates, hops on the aroma. I didn't realize when it was served that it is brewed as an RIS, it definatley had the body and flavor profile of an American Porter. The bartender and I agreed this brew tastes exactly like a cross between Sierra Nevada porter and Highland's Oatmeal porter. This was an excellent beer, but I think it should be marketed as an american porter rather than an RIS. Im going to score this one by porter standards because it really is quite good, just not a RIS. (579 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +16%

This is a new release from Coast Brewing, It replaced Coast Rye which was a solid beer.

A. Black. Should an imperial stout be different? Get a thesauraus, throw out at me synonyms for black. This is the epitome for a dark stout. Black and low carbonation. Black, hear that black....move on.

S. Chocolate, coffee and beer, This is a stout. Good, solid and and thick. Good? Yes!!!

T, Same as the bouquet. A solid RIS and available locally. Hell yeah!!!!

M. Can you drink stouts all day? Yes? Than you are luckier than me. A SOLID STOUT. COLD? hell yeah!!!!

D. Let it cool down to serving temp , then hell yeah!!!! This is an epitome of what a stout should be... (664 characters)

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last