Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2009) - Jack Daniels Barrel Aged - COAST Brewing Company

Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2009) - Jack Daniels Barrel AgedBlackbeerd Imperial Stout (2009) - Jack Daniels Barrel Aged

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.30% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 02-27-2009)
Reviews by DrewOSU:
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to beachbum1975 for sharing this with me.

A: Pours a coffee dark with a 1/8 inch tan head. Silky, watery lacing on the initial pour.

S: Sweet malt nose with a hop background. I was a suprised that I didn't get more bourbon on the nose being that it was hyped as a big barrel aged beer.

M/T: Higher light to medium body. Slightly syrupy on the tongue. Again, sweet malt followed by a bitter wave. Very suprised the lack of bourbon in the taste. But with that suprise, the beer comes off very smooth, unlike other barrel aged beers I have had. Finishes slightly dirty due to the hop bitterness.

D: This beer is smoother then I thought it would be. I really thought this would be a whisky kick in the face, but it was not. The finish is a little thick, other than that, very drinkable.

DrewOSU, Apr 10, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter produced a dark black beer with a short lived 1 1/2 finger head. The smell was pretty good and consisted of whiskey, malts and smoke. The flavor was a bit of a let-down for my preference towards Imperial Stouts. Despite the wonderful whiskey aroma I could hardly detect the whiskey. There was an overwhelming chocolate presence and a very dry finish. For me the body was too light and the carbonation a little too strong. Would like to try again to see if it was a bad bottle.

ROBORB, Nov 08, 2009
4.33/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours dark brown to black with a tan head. The aroma is chocolate, roasted malts and oak. The flavor is whiskey, vanilla, oak, roasted malt and chocolate. Thick, creamy mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A great barrel aged beer. Glad I got to try this one.

Mora2000, May 18, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%

Another winner, and long time want, provided by eyebrews at a recent tasting!

Dark black pour with a solid, light, tan head foaming up. Looks the look!

Lots of Jack in the sniffer... but not as much as I would have hoped. Chocolate, coffee, vanilla all vie for your attention. It's not as hot as I thought it may be. Onto the first sip!

Oh yeah! This is most definitely a barrel aged beer we got here! It's sweet, smooth taste. Chocolate malts are present at first, which soon gives way to the Jack this beer was aged in. Coffee comes in too. There are no surprises here... which is just fine by me. It says is a RIS aged in Jack barrels and that is why I wanted to try it.

It's a little thin for me, but the drinkability is ver good for a BA beer. Overall, I'm overjoyed to finally have gotten a sample of this. Very much looking forward to trying the regular Blackbeerd next!

rudylaw, Dec 12, 2009
4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Brewvival.

Pours black with a cascading small brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of roasted malts with robust dark chocolate aromas. Also present are mild amounts of vanilla and whiskey, much more subdued than most others of the style.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Equal amounts of roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Small amounts of molasses and slightly larger amounts of vanilla flavors enter into things midway through the sip. A flavor that's got almost as much oak character as whiskey character comes in and carries through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass (and numerous others) with absolutely no problem.

Overall I was surprised that the barrel-aged influence was as subdued as it was. That said this is a very good beer without the barrel and what mild amounts the barrel did contribute added another layer. Well worth a shot.

glid02, Mar 01, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +13.2%

Big thanks to Shane(beachbum1975) for sharing this extremely rare brew.

A: Pours pitch black, no light. Nice big frothy light mocha head. Some fleeting retention but nice lacing.

S: Nice round stout aromas with a balanced whiskey backbone. The JD doesn't get in the way but actually fits well with the beer. Some deep molasses and lightly smoky meats. Very complex.

T/M: Rich deep malts, savory sweet and complex. Healthy dose of hops. Smoke and smoky meats add great complexity. I fucking LOVE it when this quality is in big beers and actually blends nicely. Carbonation keeps things very alive. Body is medium full and creamy as hell.

D: Pretty drinkable as it's not a huge beer but it's so damn complex that is needs to be drunk slow to find everything is has to offer.

pwoods, Apr 10, 2009

whitekiboko, Dec 27, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. black waxed bottle. 4oz. sample poured into a Founders snifter. Reviewed from notes. Shared by Mikey711 at a tasting on 10/16/10.

A: Pours a thin layer of light mocha head that dissipates quickly. Beer is an opaque, jet black. Lacing is spare but with good cling.

S: Nose is a tickling sweet alcohol. Creamy aromatic hops in the background with tempting layers of chocolate, brownie, and sweet soy sauce. Not the most aromatic but good balance and flavor.

T: Soy saucy upfront with a slight roasted malt and hop bitterness in the back. I'm surprised the bitterness is still present after all that time and covered (mostly) by the booze. End is soy saucy, cocoa, and chocolate with a filmy, licquorice finish. Aftertaste is sweet booze and roasted malt.

M: Medium bodied, lightly carbonated but very rough around the edges and thinner than most imperial stouts I've had. Not impressed. Oily in the mouth, but not substantial and flimsy going down. Finish is filmy with an aftertaste that lingers.

D: This beer is all hype... either that or it's gone way downhill since it was first released. Not impressed at all. Taste is muted, feel is thin, and nose and appearance are very... average. Not worth seeking out but I'm glad to have tried it so I know better.

SpeedwayJim, Oct 17, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Huge thanks to kkipple for the bottle. I can't believe I'm actually trying this rarity.

Bottle dated 2/11/09

BA Blackbeerd pours an onyx color. It's opaque. Not a bit of light penetrating. Wow! Impressive. A lighter tan head covers the top. It's a relatively modest one finger deep. Retention and lacing were both on the short side. That's not overly surprising given the abv, but a little disappointing nonetheless. Impressive color though.

The nose is very nice, but seems a tad weak. It kicks off with a nice bourbon scent. It's not overwhelming by any means. I like the fact that its somewhat restrained. Chocolate and (a little bit of) roasted malts are present. Smells semi-sweet. Roasted coffee is somewhat light and subtle but plays that role nicely. The bourbon scent complements the stout elements really nicely here. It smells like its right up my alley in terms of barrel aged stouts. Alcohol doesn't smell too overwhelming. A little more strength would really go a long way here.

The flavor profile is very good. After a first sip, I'm not quite sure how much I like it. I just know that I do. Chocolate and roasted malts are notable up front. It does have semi-sweet taste. They give it a nice 'stout' base and quite a lot of good flavor. Roasted coffee is a secondary component here. It's not front and center, but makes the most of the room it has. I really like what Coast did with the barrel aging and the effect it had. I don't know how much time this spent in the barrels, but it was the perfect amount (for me). The barrel aging imparts a delicate bourbon flavor that complements the stout flavors. It does not have an overly strong bourbon flavor that dominates the flavor. Rather, it plays nicely with the other elements and adds a great deal of depth and character. Spot-on if you ask me. Alcohol is noted, but doesn't overwhelm. There's a hint of hops or some floral flavor here. It's not strong. Perhaps it's just degraded over a little time. It's not a bad thing and actually adds a bit to the overall flavor. Finishes a little sweet and dry.

Initially, BA Blackbeerd seemed light bodied and too thin It thickens to medium with a little warming and seems to be getting bigger by the minute. Carbonation is light and the bubbles are thin. It's very smooth and creamy. Drinkability is very good. I really like the flavor a lot. It goes down nice and easy. I'm splitting the bomber, but could've handled it alone. One would probably be enough though. I assume the abv is near 10% (as the regular Blackbeerd label suggests). That's strong, but it's going down way too easy. Where's another bottle when you need one?

BA Blackbeerd was one of those rare beers that gained a lot of steam very quickly. Needless to say, I was very excited to get a bottle. Does it deliver? For me, it does. Despite the hype, I had somewhat tempered expectations. Not all hype equates to greatness. Personally, I really like the approach Coast took with the barrel aging. I'm guessing it didn't spend too much time in the barrels. As a result, the bourbon flavor is not overwhelming and blends extremely well with the other flavors in the beer. That's damn near perfect for me. I can appreciate that others may like a stronger bourbon flavor, but I prefer a more tempered approach. It could use a little more strength in the nose, but that's a slight complaint. This is damn good stuff. Seek out a bottle when it comes around again. Thanks a ton, Dan.

prototypic, Nov 08, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -49.2%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks man. I'm not sure if we got a bad bottle, but nobody at our tasting like this very much. Pours dark with a tiny head. Aroma of cheap bourbon and vanilla. Flavor is watery bourbon, wood and chocolate. Tastes a little of dirty dish water. This beer is so overrated that it makes me wonder what some consider a good beer.

miketd, Jul 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This rare bottle was shared by bifrostguard - thanks, Cameron! Reposting earlier deleted review...

A - Pours black and not too viscous with just a little tan foam on top that settles to a ring. Decent lacing.

S - Awesome aroma of whiskey, roast, coffee, chocolate, black cherry, and alcohol.

T - Flavor is very complex and somewhat heavy on the whiskey. Roasted malt, coffee, and chocolate also present, with noticeable alcohol.

M - Palate is medium full, could use a little more body. Soft carbonation.

D - Fairly drinkable, but not a standout in this category. Overall a great -bal aged imperial stout though.

nickd717, Oct 06, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -3%

Review #600!!! Had this one while at Brewvival. Served from tap by the man himself into a sampler Brewvival imperial pint. Poured a massively dark brown (almost black) with a half finger brown head that subsided to a minimal amount fairly quickly. There was no lacing evident throughout the glass. THe aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark fruit, wood, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark fruit, wood, cream, and sweet alcohol. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was pretty good. I went crazy when I saw this one on as I have been looking for QUITE some time to tick it. If I'm honest, I really enjoyed the Buffalo Trace version better than this one. The flavors on this one seemed just a little dilute, but robust enough to please the palate. Really glad I got to finally tick this one!

thagr81us, Feb 28, 2011

GRG1313, Jul 23, 2012
4.93/5  rDev +13.9%

I've never reviewed before, because usually I was just adding on to what has already been said. But this beer makes it necessary for me to review it.

Pours almost pitch black, with just a few bits around the edges where some light gets through.

Smell is wonderful. The whiskey barrel agin is quite subtle, but really ties the room together, much like the elusive rug that El Duderino had taken from him. Chocolate, roasted, beautiful.

Taste is much like the smell, just enough whiskey to cut through some sweetness and balance the chocolate and roasted malts.

Extremely easy to drink. But you only need a sip or so every minute, because the aftertaste hangs around for a day. Incredibly complex.

I've had Darklord, Darkness, KBS, aged and fresh Expedition, and most of the other top stouts. This, in my mind, is the best there is. It is light years beyond the standard Blackbeerd. This is a beer for the ages, and I hope as many people as possible get to try it as bottles float (or are fedexed) throughout the country. A stunning experience.

md655321, Mar 14, 2009
4.33/5  rDev 0%

A black wax-capped 650 mL bottle, from 11-Feb-09 (1 of 96 bottles), courtesy of Deuane. Shared with Deuane and others.

A: The stout is appropriately dark, a pitch black behemoth that conjured up a finger or so of tan head. Mild lacing ensued. The bottle, like the regular Blackberd, pours in a rather viscous, oily manner.

S: The nose starts things off nicely with full bourbony sweet aromas, vanilla and brown sugar, ample booze and a full roasted malt body. The bourbon barrels have infused a full, appetizing aroma into the stout, replacing the burnt chocolate aromas in the regular version.

T: The first sip is big but not a punch in the mouth. The bourbon does, however, dominate most aspects of the stout. Vanilla and brown sugar, both powerful on their own, play off the roasted malts for a burnt but sweet taste. Chocolate, semi-sweet, enhances the bitterness of the roasted malts, but the oak manages to take most of the bitter edge off of the beer. The stout is very drinkable, a dangerous thing at 9.3%.

M: The mouthfeel is dominated by the bourbon, a boozy melange of brown sugar and vanilla that stops the big malt profile in its tracks. The bourbon flavor is not overwhelming.

D: I'd gladly take another bomber for myself. The bits of stout that peak through nicely set up the bourbon and oak flavors. At 9.3%, it isn't that strong, another up side.

akorsak, Nov 16, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +12.7%

Thanks to Jaime for this very special brew.

First let me say that I am a very big fan of the base beer, Blackbeerd. Pours to a perfect thick stout blackness with a full three fingers of light brown head that fades in a couple of minutes leaving scattered bits of lace all over. The nose is very promising with a big up front bourbon tone that is so slightly strong with alcohol. There are attractive sweet carmel and toffee notes as well as a hint of coffee, chocolate and vanilla. I take a minute, and a few sips before I started writing down my thoughts on this one. Creamy smooth as you take the first sips yet shows amazing complexity from the start. Blackness includes vanilla, dark chocolate, caramelized bourbon, toffee and coffee. Big rich and dark as the palate really showcases the fine bourbon and coffee. One of the best barrel aged stouts I have had without being to thick and sludgy like some. Mouthfeel is like really good chocolate, rich, full and thick with a nice caramelized bourbon feel. Drinkability , well just try and stop me from drinking this one every chance I get. This is one of the best period. Next time make more! Please.

SPLITGRIN, Aug 08, 2009

exposur3, Dec 22, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

On-tap at Brewvival 2011.

I was so glad to see this one on-tap, I had it last year but didn't think to take notes and have really wanted to tick it off the list! Pours that dark, inky black with a thin mocha-colored head that left behind some sticky lacing. Huge aromas and flavors of dark roasted malt, brownie batter, coffee and Jack Daniels. Granted, I'm not the biggest JD fan in the world, but it's amazing how much of that unique JD character of charcoal, caramel and vanilla comes out in the smell and taste! Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a full body and crisp carbonation. Insane drinkability, I went back for this a couple of times!

jsanford, Feb 27, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +10.4%

Simply thrilled to be sitting at the table with Dan and Jamie and David for this post release goodie. Superb night and this was the topper. Shared in taster glasses, this one was consumed on 02/27/2009.

Hard to really put much into words that Dan has not already said, so will go with a more observational review. Very dark pour here with a nice tight little tan head on top of it. The first whiff that comes across my nose is of delicate whiskey notes, with a light vanilla touch to it and the slightest bit of chocolate. Really quite fantastic, and I think I even commented at the time i could not imagine it getting any better. The flavor was superb, with a nice full base with nice chocolate and sweet tasting roasted malts that were excellently highlighted by whiskey flavors and light oak touches. Easily one of the best barrel aged stouts I have come across. As you sip the full bodied and smooth as silk feel just rolls across you tongue and the light warming from the alcohol just seals it off perfectly. I really could have drank this one all night, I am dead serious, it was just that damn good. Not overdone, aged just right, I would put this up against any of the big boys any damn day of the week.

mikesgroove, Mar 01, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -4.2%

Bomber split with HopHead84, thanks for sharing this one.

Black, completely opaque appearance. A small bubbly tan head forms and quickly recedes to a ring. Hot whisky aroma, with chocolate, vanilla and caramel beneath. Hot and boozy on the palate with a light sourness that tastes more like a strange byproduct of the barrel than it does an infection. Past that, there's a sturdy chocolate malt backbone with underpinnings of vanilla and toasted oak. Roasty, slightly acrid in the finish. Lingering espresso aftertaste. Pretty solid stuff, but not worth jizzing over. I guess I'd be more excited about this if I lived in an area where this style of beer was less prevalent.

largadeer, May 19, 2009

BeccaH, Sep 11, 2014
3.2/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours black with a small tan head. The aroma was up front vanilla and oak. Some green wood tannic qualities and oxidation also follows. Flavor is up front malty but gets overpowered by the vanilla and oak that the whisky barrel imparts. Also has bitter chocolate, alcohol, butterscotch, thin mints, cabbage, and earthy hops. Finishes bitter, dry. Mouthfeel is just as thin as the original, maybe even more thin. Light carbonation rounds this one out.

pepsican, Jul 17, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

SO happy to get a chance to drink a good amount of this one. Generously shared by brdc. Reviewed from notes.

Thin black pour with two fingers of light brown head. The aroma is lightly toasted malts, oak, a hefty amount of floral hoppiness, and some light vanilla elements carried over from the barrel aging. The flavor starts out dominated by sweet caramel and burnt maltiness. As warming ensues and I dig deeper, a ton of vanilla flavor begins to appear and takes over the flavor profile. Burnt toast as well. Very nice. The body is slightly fuller than medium with good carbonation levels. This one was flavorful and deceptively complex. Not huge on flavor and possibly slightly too burnt to reach the top tier of imperial stouts, but overall still superb.

alcstradamus, Mar 28, 2010

Absolutely stunning. I am blown away. I'm afraid I don't have the words to articulate the beauty of this beer as it deserves but I will do my best.

The presentation of package is wonderful. COAST has done really great labels for their oh so rare bottled beers. Combined with the nice waxed top is damn good looking.

On to the beer:

Beautiful head. Perfect structure. The beer is dark as night offset by the lovely light mocha head.

Aroma is where I start to realize I have something very special before me. Complex notes of dark fruit, wood, vanilla, coffee, tobacco.

Taste. Yeah, this is it. My number one beer. So much flavor with such drinkability? Is this really possible. Rich, deep roasted flavors of coffee, hints of the bourbon barrel shown through by great depth of vanilla and oak but done with restraint. The barrel really enhances and showcases the beer, not the other way around. This is how it should be done.

I could drink this all night and forever. Wish that were possible. Hope more of this happens one day.

softcough, Mar 25, 2009

ygtbsm94, Jan 10, 2012
Blackbeerd Imperial Stout (2009) - Jack Daniels Barrel Aged from COAST Brewing Company