Boy King Double IPA - COAST Brewing Company

Boy King Double IPABoy King Double IPA

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Beer added by: mikesgroove on 04-14-2009

A highly hopped, yet still balanced, double IPA. Multiple hop varieties, emphasizing Citra Hops, were used. We're lovin' the tropical goodness of this hop variety!

This is my first review. I have been into the scene for about a year and a half. I have been to a handful of events, tried some rare and sought after brews like KBS, CBS, PtE, Hopslam, etc, this beer was the first one I said yes, this is what I've been looking for. I bought a growler from CBX 4/5/10, to consume while watching the NCAA championship game. I finished it in a hour and half, which gives me concern about my alcohol intake. The beer is AWESOME.
A- I would say a little lighter than what I expected.
S- Wonderful, smelled delicious hops, a ton of citrus, even some peach, somewhere in there.
T- Trully world class. I had a 90 minute about 13 days old as well, I thought BoyKing blew it out of the water. I'm partial to citrus taste in my IPA, Boy King hit the spot.
M-Perfect for this awesome SC spring weather. Refreshing and not heavy.
D-Scary is all I can say. At almost 10%, I just wanted more and more, and I obliged. I know I shouldn't session it the way I did, but I literally couldn't stop drinking it.
I know COAST is in Charleston, I have had some of their offerings, HopArt, Blackbeard, 32/50, Redlegs all very good, but I could think of others I liked more. Not Boy King, It is my new favorite brew, and am counting down the hours to make the 30 minute drive to CBX to get another, perhaps 2.

Well, picked this up on the last release and it sat for 3 or 4 weeks. Cracked it for my B-Day!!!! The sit seemed to allow for some clearing on this, A beautiful orangish ruby hued masterpiece!!!The rest prolly let it gas out a bit, so small snow white head that held on leaving ample lacing.

The nose is a tropical fruit fight, with ample mango pineapple & my personal fav peaches.The piney grapefruit resinous citric fruit play well with as well. A strong but subdued caramel base does it's job.

I digress, tropical hotdog night, like 2 flamingos in a fruit fight...

The taste does not let up, following closely to the nose with a SMOOTH creamsicle citrus mango piney wonderment! The malty caramel goodness is not at all too sweet, spot on.

Well, this thing is a nice joyous drink. Creamy thick and dry. oily hop slickness and mingling malts do the dance.

Seek & Drink!!! These folk DO IT RIGHT! Thank god

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

UPDATE: The local Green's got another keg and I got 2 growlers. This stuff is the nectar of gods. I had to up my review because I was getting over a cold on the first review and this is probably THE BEST DIPA EVER!

Poured from a growler into a tulip glass. Growler purchased at Green's Discount in Columbia, SC.
From their website, a correction to the ABV should be 9.7%;
Ingredients: 2-Row*, Munich* and Wheat* Malt, Citra, Chinook, Nugget, Cascade, Centenniel and Columbus Hops. *denotes organic ingredient
9.7% abv. Seasonal- Spring

A: Cloudy amber color with a nice fluffy off-white head. Moderate lacing.

S: Citrus hops are prominent. Mixture of sweet citrus and floral scents. Some underlying pine hops are also present.

T&M: Mixture of floral, pine, and citrus hop flavors with a strong mildly sweet malt presence. Fades to a slightly bitter, resiny flavor. Medium to heavy body. Very smooth with a bit of a fluff from the carbonation. Actually, as the temperature of the beer warms, the carbonation also lightens dramatically. It may be that my fridge is too cold?

This stuff is excellent considering the ABV and how the alcohol is completely masked by the well-balanced taste. Definitely worth trying and Coast really needs to consider offering this year round if it isn't in the works already!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a growler into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.(Growler from Greens on Piney Grove Columbia, SC)

A - Amber at the top that gets paler toward the bottom of the glass, nice sized off white head rests at the top, decent amount of lacing as the beer disappears from the glass.

S - Citrus Hops! Not just your normal DIPA aroma either, you can smell this thing from a couple feet away. Closer inspection gives it a bit of a sweet smell similar to a juicy fresh peach. Wow.

T - Mix of floral and citrus hops flavor with a strong malt background. This beer is relatively balanced. Bitter, resiny flavor lingers after swallowing inviting you back for another sip.

M - Medium to Heavy body, with a light amount of carbonation. Slightly syrupy texture

D - Pretty easy to drink DIPA. The alcohol is covered by the hoppy flavor and malty sweetness. The lingering bitterness calls me back to drink more. The best thing about this beer though has to be the smell. Like I said earlier about the smell, Wow!

I would definitely pick this up again if the opportunity arose.

I managed to score another growler of this and had to bump up the ratings a bit. This beer is phenomenal! I wish I could get it year round. The best DIPA I've had yet in my book.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a bottle into a founders snifter. Fresh..bottled 7/11/11. Also had from a growler a week before.

A- nice pour. Orange auburn color when held up to light. Half inch nice white head. Decent lacing around the glass.

S- bam..citra hops! This beer smells gorgeous. Tropical fruits invade the nose..can't wait to drink this.

T- taste follows the nose well.. Tropical fruits of pineapple, mango, and peach engulf your pallet followed by a touch of malt to balance it out and ending with a sufficient piney hop bitterness.

M- medium mouthfeel although a bit chewy with tropical hop flavors. Pretty good carbonation with clean bitter finish.

O- overall this is a great beer. I love my double IPA's and this is a great example of one with citra hops. Becoming one of my favorites very quickly. Coast definitely knows what they are doing..great brewery. I do have to say I prefer it from a growler, but nonetheless I will definitely seek this out every time coast has it available.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

This is an all world dipa. Tons of pine on the nose, a little citrus/tropical. Amber reddish appearance with a fluffy white retaining head. Great malt backbone, but not balanced. Pine dominates the flavor. Border line west coast. This is nearly a flawless dipa and well done. Would love for this to be a staple in myfridge.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks again to Chad for this extra! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - nice golden body with eggshell-white head on top. Looks pretty good....

S - FRESHNESS! Citrus and fruity hops dominate the nose. Smells REALLY good....

T - all that the nose promised and more! Incredibly fresh hops and a tiny bit of malt sweetness make this one of the best DIPA's I've ever tasted.

M - what can I say? It feels amazing. Incredibly smooth and fresh.

O - this is easily in the top three DIPA's I've ever had. And, as per usual, it's going to be hard to obtain more of it. That won't stop me from trying, though!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

COAST Brewing's Boy King double IPA is kingly indeed. A couple buddies shared a growler with me and we compared it to a growler of another local DIPA. Our local got crushed.

Boy King leaves lace all over the glass and atop it's bronze hazy body. The aroma is musty, earthy, but then filled with oranges, pineapples, pine in the hops, and its stacked with candy and caramel malts. The taste matches right along, bringing the fresh hops to the front without being overwhelming. The caramel covers the alcohol, and there's a funkiness to it that remains to remind you of the hop character.

Overall a great medium bodied beer. Dangerously drinkable, totally enjoayble, and one of my favorite DIPA's thus far. Cheers to Carolina. And NY - let's up our game.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Many thanks to Dan for delivery of a growler to my home town, this beer is delicious.

Appearance: First I had to stare at it through the clear Green's growler. Strangy brew indeed, Clapton would be impressed. Honey-Straw-Golden, glows from inside but you can't see through it. This is going to be good. Pour is hazy with a very nice head, lots of sticky lace.

Smell: The hops smack you in the face like a 2x4. You know instantly that this one is NOT going to be under-hopped. Sticky sweetness with the typical citrus and grapefruit elements, but sweeter than expected.

Taste: This is a distinctively souther DIPA, sweeter than the CA offerings, and thicker in appearance as well. Delicous.

Mouthfeel: Very full, rich and creamy.

Drinkability: Highest drinkability of a DIPA I have tasted.

I like that this is a distinctive style (and distinctively southern), as oppsed to the west-coast DIPA. Beats Pliny the younger and elder in terms of everything but smell, which could be because this growler might have been a week to old (due to my fault).

Forget blackbeerd, this is the star of the COAST lineup.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

While I have not reviewed all of them yet, I have had a lot of the big double IPA's (not PTY), and I will tell you now that this is one of if not my absolute favorites. Not just of this style but of beers in general.
Another great rare keg from the guys at Greens. Poured from a growler into my DFH signature glass.

A: A very hazy orange about 1/2 inch of a creamy off white head. Maybe it is just because it is 70 degrees and sunny, but just looking at this beer makes me excited to try it.

S: The most amazing blend of citrusy goodness that i have ever come across. In your face Tangerines/oranges, some pineapple, grapefruit and i can't stop smelling this. This is the most citrusy beer that has ever come across my nose.... amazing.

T: Just like the smell would lead you to believe and in no way is that a problem. The citrusy hops give it an amazing blend of oranges and grapefruit, this is definitely the first thing you taste. There is also a soft carmel malt sweetness that comes in before a slightly piney and grapefruit bitterness finish it off. Not the most bitter beer i have ever had by a long shot, but i absolutely love this beer.

M: Refreshing, crisp, but a little oily residue left over.

D: I will really enjoy round 3 of the masters while this growler disappears.

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. Had it on tap and didn't see the pore but when it came to me it had a double finger head that lasted and laced very nicely. Clear orange color that was quickly overwhelmed by the aroma... awesome Orange and Grapefruit aroma that showed not just a large quantity of Citra, but also had some Amarillo and maybe some Cascade in there.

The taste followed the aroma with a very intense citrus flavoring that finished very well. My only problem with the beer is that I had 3 at the bar and it really put a hurting on me. It's a Pliny "wanna be" and while they did a great job copying it, I wish they hadn't gone so high on the ABV so that I could have had more... but that's why it's a double IPA right? Yeah, I get it... the alcohol really helps with the flavor and tones down the sweetness but it does put a hurting on you. So don't flame me with any comments about it because I already get enough of that from my posse.

So proceed with caution. This beer is kinda like the prom queen that has an STD... you start knowing that you won't be able to stop and you'll regret it in the morning. But it leaves you wanting to do it again. lol

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Fresh growler filled at the COAST Brewery.

A - Pours a hazy copper/orange with a huge creamy off-white head. Lots of sudsy lacing sticking to the side of the glass. Looks great!

S - Smells mainly of light caramel malt and grapefruit, with pleasant hues of mandarin orange and pine resin. Very juicy and crisp, like the citrus was just squeezed into the glass.

T - Tastes very similar to the nose with the grapefruit, light caramel, orange and pine. Still very juicy and crisp, with a pleasant and balancing bitterness towards the finish.

M - Creamy with a medium body and medium-heavy carbonation that just dances on your tongue.

D - Incredibly drinkability despite the ABV (which is completely masked), I think this growler is going to disappear quickly. Easily one of the juiciest DIPAs I've ever tasted, just an amazing offering from the great crew over at COAST!

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 64oz growler on the day of release from COAST.

Appearance is a beautiful dark orange with just the right amount of haze and a nice cream colored head.

Smell is fantastic with tons of citrus and just the slightest hint of pine and sweetness.

Taste is tons of fruity, tropical goodness. So easy to drink with almost no detection of the almost 10% ABV. The sweetness is there but it does not overpower.

The mouthfeel is pretty full bodied with just the slightest touch of burn.

This is a gem of a DIPA, I absolutely love it and would put it up against any of the big boys (Heady, Pliny etc...). I have actually come to prefer it over any other DIPA out there.

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to brentk56 for this one! Bottled on 0711. I served this 22 oz. brown bottle in a Tripel Karmeliet glass. The body was a hazy dull orange. The head was dense and cream colored. Minimal lacing remained.

The smell was incredible! Marmalade and floral. Herbal. Hay bales and citrus potpourri (in a good way). Intense and intoxicating, one of the best smelling beers I've ever had.

The taste was of very flavorful, but not harsh hops. Pineapple. Could I be tasting limes? There was a lingering grassiness. Spiciness. Even a leathery malt presence. A long lingering, semi-dry finish. Well hidden alcohol. I think this beer is a cousin to Sculpin and Hopslam.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied. Fine bubbles, modest carbonation. I love this beer, I wish I could get it regularly. It's had for me to find any fault in this one.

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

Growler from GBX (kegged 4 days ago) poured in a pint glass.

Appearance: dark amber, almost orange with a half inch head that recedes in about 60 seconds leaving a nice creamy layer that rings the glass every sip.

Smell: this smells amazin, tropical fruit, no alcohol.

Taste: sweet hops up front, a little booze in the middle, and nice strong citrus aftertaste.

mouthfeel: good carbonation, a little alcohol burn.

This beer is now one of my favorites, a superb double IPA. This was also the freshest beer I have ever consumed and it really showed.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Huge thanks to Brodie for sharing this one.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a small soapy white head that recedes to a thin collar leaving spotty lacing.

The nose is great on this one with a boatload of juicy sweet citrus hops - grapefruit, oranges, pineapples - with a complementary grassy character as well. The sweet caramel malts are there but definitely take a back seat.

The taste is just as good and, again, dominated by citrus fruits in the form of pineapples and grapefruit. It's really all about the hops with only enough malt to keep things balanced.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation but with a pleasant hop stickiness that lingers with mild bitterness through the finish.

Well, this one exceeded expectations for me and is really in my wheelhouse as far as DIPAs go - big juicy citrus hop flavor without palate-crushing bitterness. An excellent beer and the best thing that COAST has produced as far as I'm concerned.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Thanks to khiasmus for this in Growling at the Moon. I live for this.

A: Fairly clear copper color with two plus fingers of white head. Tons of lacing.

S: Big citrus blast. Really great nose on this beer. Pineapple. Little bit of other assorted tropical fruit as well. What I really loved about this beer was the big smell of two row towards the back. Great nose. I mean really great.

T: So smooth. Bitter up front. Tons of tropical fruit. Very well balanced. It just has everything you want in a DIPA without all the negatives.

M: Medium bodied. Sticky mouthfeel. Syrupy. Very good carbonation for a growler.

D: Drinks like a champ.Just a really great DIPA. I have had their two examples of the style and both have been excellent. They really reminded me of the Captain's Reserve from Captain Lawrence. Just a great beer that drinks easier than it probably should.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Looks great. Actually, looks like possibly the most delicious beer ever. Full disclosure: I had this via growler at GBX (what a place) one time and was supremely impressed. High hopes here. That thick froth has me convinced that it's a winner. It slowly dissipates as it sloths down the glass sides with a snail trail.

The smell is beautiful. Bottled 4/12, it smells like freshness should. The hops are fruity yet bitter: a balance of of medicine and citrusy fruit. An elixir. A potion.

A wow comes with each sip. Expectations met, I struggle to find imperfections. It's maybe a tad on the bitter side. Like a buddy mentioned, might honey morph this into Hopslam? I'd love to side-by-side these, but I was oh-so-happy to acquire this shortly after my Hopslam passed away. It's absolutely delicious, and i hold it second in a bottle only to Hopslam. Great beer in a great bottle from a great brewery from a great store. Thanks Zach. Thanks Mom. :-)

Interestingly, I recall it even better from a keg--that distinguishes it from Hopslam. It reminds me of an Idiot cask I enjoyed, which I also found better than a Hopslam keg or cask. If only I could taste a fresh Boy King cask....

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

fantastic beer, just how i like my dipas. juicy, floral and not over the top bitter. i cant believe this is 10%. great football watchin beer, go niners!!

update: drinking a second bottle 2 weeks later, just as delicious as the first bottle. very nice!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

A= Fairly translucent, orange, finger head, nice lacing.

S= Pine and melon.

T= well balanced, piney, grapefruit, orange, melon.

M= excellent mouthfeel, good body and depth. Appreciate the toffee notes. Lingers on the palate, nice finish. Oily

O= excellent example of DIPA, with interesting hop structure.

Glad I have a growler full to enjoy of this fresh monster!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

A - A burnt opaque orange color, with bubbles rising up, and tons of head and sticky lace all over the glass all the way down

S - Tons of hops. Citrus are very present, but so are the piny hops. Sweet as well. Pineapple.

T - Oh my. Citrus and piny hops. Pineapple, sweet caramel. Just like the smell.

M - So smooth and well balanced! Well carbonated.

O - Simply one of the best, and well balanced Double IPA's out there. The alcohol is well hidden, so a growler of this could cause trouble!

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured into a sniffer from a growler filled directly from the brewery.

A: Slightly cloudy with a golden amberish orange.

S: Large citrus and hops on the nose. Slight pine to follow.

M: Med bodied with a slight bitter swallow.

T: The citrus and hops hit first with the grapefruit and orange continuing down the throat. The swallow is smooth with only a hint of bitterness that lingers.

This 2012 edition is 10%ABV, and you cannot taste it at all. Awesome dbl IPA that absolutely ranks up there with the big boys (Hop slam, Pliney, etc). If in Charleston SC, seek out COAST brews.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to a great BA friend for sharing his growler...
Poured a dark cloudy gold or amber with a two-finger off-white head with good retention for an DIPA. Lacing was lasting but thin. Nose was grapefruit, pineapple, tangerine but clearly some sweetness. Taste follows. This is very well balanced and not a DIPA which hits you with bitterness or big beer ABV. Grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, orange are there but so is a very nice, sweet malt. Not cloying at all and not even overly sticky. Aftertaste is unusual and hard to describe but definitely some interplay between dry and sweet. I love interesting beers and this is one. Mouthfeel is medium, well carbonated which gives it a nice edge. While I didn't have the opportunity, I could have had a LOT more of this. This is a beer and brewery that needs to grow FAST! Just a great beer.

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

I basically hit the Coast Brewing lottery with the timing of my vacation. Not only did I get some bottles of Blackbeard, but they had Boy King on draft. I was able to pick up a growler for our 4th of July celebration. To ensure that I could enjoy more than my fair share of the growler..guilt free I ran 13.2 miles this morning. Time to have at it!!

(of course I got a nice preview with 3 samples at the brewery, so I already know I love it)

This has one of those great heads that rises well above the glass and has excellent structure. A yellowish, off white colored head plops atop the sunset orange/amber colored beer. A slight haze and clumpy sticky lacing everywhere. Lovely looking beer.

Aroma is fantastic, bright and VERY fresh. Lemon, other citrus and tons of tropical fruit.

Flavor is as bright and fresh as the aroma. Just fantastic. Initial bitterness explodes into a full juicy tropical explosion. Very fruity. You can tell there is an elevated ABV here, but it really works nicely with the fruit and bitterness. Just the right amount of sweetness. Recently I had some mango and can now do a better job of specifically picking out this flavor. It’s in here. Malt profile is nice and plays the perfect supporting role. A light cracker flavor well below the surface.

Bright, lively, floral, perfect carbonation to explode the flavors.

Excellent beer and the perfect growler as we celebrate our freedom. God Bless America. God Bless Beer. God Bless Coast.

4.71/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 5

A: Fairly dark, even for a double. Opaque rustish color

S: Grassy and a little sweetness. A bit of dankness.

T: Unique and incredibly balanced. Grassy with just a touch of citrus. Nice bitterness at the end

M: A little oily, with nice carbonation.

D: Crazy for a double, seems much more like a 7 percenter. Extremely smooth and crazy delicious.

A very unique double, and another GREAT one from COAST. Lessy grassy than HopArt, but the absolutely flawless balance makes it a winner. Its actually a bit like a Masala Mama for the DIPA inclined.

Boy King Double IPA from COAST Brewing Company