Red Legs Scotch Ale - Jack Daniels Barrel Aged - COAST Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 09-20-2009)
Reviews by ucusty:
4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

Draft at 2009 Brewvival festival.. Murky brown pour. Nose is chalked full of oaky tannins, caramel, and light bourbon. No buttery component that I could pick up. Flavor is oaky, vanilla, caramel and peat.. Finish is dry with a alcoholic bourbony blast

ucusty, May 29, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

whitekiboko, Dec 27, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Ok, so my love for the style knows no bounds, my love for Barrel aging is the same, throw in the word COAST, and I knew I was in trouble. To say I was excited to try this would be an understatement and a half. Thrilled to be able to sip this one on tap and even luckier to be able to have it several times during the day.

The pour was just what I wanted, dark amber in color, leaning more toward a brown with a big tan head on top that seemed to just sit there for a moment before retreating back to where it came. Lots of side lacing going on really just summed it up quite nicely. Then I lean in to catch a whiff of this monster, and it's just wonderful. Rich notes of vanilla, hints of leather and a lovely, almost heather like floral touch to it. Warming brings out light woody hints as well as rich caramel notes that nearly overtake the senses. Just when I think it cannot get any better, I decide to take a sip. Waves of vanilla and whiskey notes crash around a bouquet of heather and caramel. Light floral notes playing around as well. And there it was, the flavor, very few things I have ever tried have this taste, it's a sweet, butterscotch, toffee flavor that I search for over and over again. And here it was, nothing comes close to this taste and when it shines through mid palate I melt. Coming back I catch the light note of leather in the finish before the last drop is gone. Smooth, even carbonation and perfect flavor have done me in.

It is no secret that this may be my all time favorite style to throw in a barrel and this just reinforces it. I would be honored to try this again any day, more people need to it is simply out of this world good.

mikesgroove, Sep 21, 2009
Red Legs Scotch Ale - Jack Daniels Barrel Aged from COAST Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.