Event Horizon Cascadian Dark Ale - COAST Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer brewed like a stout but with the flavors of an IPA.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 08-27-2010)

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass from a growler purchased at Green's, Piney Grove, Columbia.

A: Dark, murky brown. Nice fluffy light tan head that barely recedes from the original 2+ finger thickness. Heavy lacing.

S: All kinds of fresh hops! Pine, citrus and a background of roasted maltiness.

T&M: Smooth and crisp. Pine and a mix of citrus with that lingering mild, roasted maltiness that is balanced perfectly. Background hints of mild dark chocolate from the malts, I guess? Medium bodied.

Highly drinkable. This is definitely way up there, right along with that Sculpin. This is too original not to give a perfect score due to its originality. WOW! Great job Coast, you've done it again.

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

Pours an opaque black with a nice tan head and outstanding lace down glass.

HOPS....Chinooks? Cascade? definatly of the C veriaty. Piney citrus laced goodness that stands up to a nice roasty grain bill. Even better than the last brew of this, more roasty.

Grapefruit coffee roastiness that seems to play well together. The roasty goodness does not seem charred but right on with a good coffee, playing well with the hops.

Medium full creamy mouth that rolls down the tongue leaving a wanting for more.

COAST does an outstanding job again.

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured into an Allagash glass on 8/9/12

Bottled on: 07 18 12

Many thanks to PDXHops

Dark, inky brown; somehow it manages to stay away from look black in the glass. Even though no light gets through, this is just a really dark brown a sandy, light brown scourge of bubbles hits the two and a half finger mark before slowly deflating. Good retention and webs of dry, crackly lace. Lace is thicker on the second pour.

While in the bottle Event Horizon smells of green, sticky pine. Once in the glass, the hops are just as green, though the outright pine note isn't so loud. Regardless, it's plenty hoppy and with a good deal of dark roast to balance it out - cocoa dust, hints of coffee and some dark bread. Overtones of nuts and earth. Some zesty citric tones emerge as it warms.

The flavor skews the balance meter back toward the hops; though not as green as the aromas, there is more piney bite and snarl. Bitterness is on the high side of moderate but remains pleasant. The dark roast is in a supportive and steadfast role adding some burnt notions and roasted coffee bitterness. Wow, I'm more impressed with each drink I take.

The feel is medium-full and inky and, but for a moment, I consider stretching it to nearly silky. This notion doesn't last long as vigorous carbonation rattles the upper tier of the mouthfeel and dry grittiness unseats the lower. This trio of distinct feels may seem at odds, but I find they work incredibly well. The finish even manages a coating feel that is actually enjoyable as far as coating feels go. By the time I'm to the second glass, the feel has settled into perfection.

Even Horizon is nearly perfect. The flavor and feel pull together fantastically. Overall drinkability is ridiculously high. This is exactly what I think about when I think about Cascadian Dark Ales. COAST continues to impress me time and time again. I can't recommend this enough. Thanks, Jeff!

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

a remarkable beer, i was at first unsure of what this new offering from coast was going to bring me, but i was soon put to ease an simply amazed at how good this was.

the pour takes you off guard as the blackness comes from the tap and is nearly impervious to any light. think head of light tan laces the top and leaves a decent amount of lacing down the sides of the glass.

aroma is one of the most hoppy beer that i have ever come across in my life. just an amazingly hoppy beer. thick citrus notes just come across from the very first moment i get close to it. an amazing amount hops squeezed into this beer. each sip shreds the palate with a mesmerizing amount of rich nugget like goodness. such a super dry finish with an amazingly complex profile that you just cannot believe it packed into a beer that is only 6.5%, i mean come on.

overall i am floored and one of the most amazingly complex and hoppy beers i have ever had in my life. this may just be the one that throws me back into the loop.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

my brother-in-law brought a growler of this beauty home from The Lodge in HH, SC.

pours ebony in color in the glass with a nice, frothy mocha head. lots of lacing throughout.

very interesting smell dominates. fruity notes that are strong with lemons. hoppy and grass notes follow with a sweet malty backbone that brings great balance.

one of the few times I can say the nose continues to add to the enjoyment while you drink it. hops all the way on the palate. very citrusy... starts with grapefruit and pine finishes. the more I drink, the more bitter the bite on the back of the throat.

medium body with light carbonation. very smooth and balanced feel. nice.

don't believe I have had a more complex beer that only runs 6.8% abv. bitter hops all the way and a real treat. the growler disappeared with a quickness.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Note: Served from a growler. Reviewing again since this is a diff. recipe and BA won't allow me to review it twice under same serving type.

Drank this last year and absolutely fell in love. I read that Coast was tweaking it a bit to lean more to roasty side so I was eager to try. Picked up a growler from CBX on a Sat. afternoon.

A- From memory it appears darker than last year. Black with a thick brown head. Looks like a stout.

S- Very fragrant juicy hops. Mouth immediately starts to water after smelling this.

T- First sip and the roasted malt is def. more prevelant than in the past. Last year this tasted like an IPA but this almost tastes like a op heavy porter. There is still a TON of stuff I have not tried, but I can honestly say I've never had a beer quite like this. So much going on with this one. The hops mixed with the roasted barley are both huge in taste but balanced well.

M- Thick with good carbonation.

O- At first I was kind of bummed because I was expecting a hop bomb a la Boy King, but the more I drank this the more I liked it until I eventually loved it. Overall a great beer. I'll be sure to pick up another growler before it runs out.

4.43/5  rDev +7%

2011 Weighs in @ 7% by the way..

A - Pours a near black super dark brown into my brooklyn snifter. A nice 1+ finger of head that very slowly dissipates, excellent lacing. This beer looks exceptional

S - Lots of roasty coffee type notes, oak, caramel, molasses, pretty solid cascade presence as well. Very malty and robust but the hops shine as well. I'm really excited to dive into this one. Like, I'm getting really excited.. but I'm going to let it warm up a wee bit and push myself to the brink of insanity.

T - Ok, I lied, I lasted maybe all of 2 minutes... 41F at the moment. Ok so the hops blast me in the face initially, they arent overwhelming (no such thing) but they do overpower the malty qualities of the brew initially. The bitterness quickly fades to a roasty malty bitterness to a smoother suggary caramel/molasses type flavor. Just when you think its over. POW! A niiice hop bitterness dances on my pallet.

M - This is so deliciously drinkable that I need to restrain myself and allow plenty of time for the piney/hoppy aftertaste to be enjoyed. Appropriate carbonation, medium bodied, light for the color

O - Better than expected, and I have lofty expectations and bounds of respect for COAST brews! Awesome

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a freshly-filled CBX growler into my New Belgium globe.

A - Pours a dark cola brown with slight reddish tints. The creamy khaki-colored head never quite disappears completely and actually re-forms itself if you swirl the beer. Nice sudsy lacing on the sides of the glass. Very pretty, looks more like a Porter then a IPA!

S - Hop explosion! Smells like fresh hop pellets, not sure the varietal (kinda reminds me of GUBNA, so perhaps Summit?). Grapefruit, tons of pine resin, and a slight bit of "cattiness" make for a very enjoyable nose.

T - Uhh...more hops! Grapefruit, orange and pine resin dominate, but this is far from unbalanced as the dark roasted malt makes it's presence known and provides a solid backbone for all those hops.

M - Nice and creamy, very full mouthfeel without the body being too heavy. Carbonation is spot-on, nice and crisp.

D - Very drinkable, but hop-haters stay far away as this one will melt your tastebuds. Luckily, I love hops and can see this growler disappearing waay to fast. A very interesting beer that combines the full, creamy mouthfeel of a porter with the blistering hoppiness of a DIPA. I hate to be such a Homer, but COAST really did it again, this one is phenomenal! Great job, David and Jaime!

EDIT : OK, no Summit but "chock full of Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, and Citra hops". Damn, that's a lot of hops!

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%

Purchased from Hilton Head Lodge this past Sunday. Pours a cloudy reddish brown with a healthy off-white head. Citrus dominates the aroma, even with a little orange peel chocolate whiff. Big citrus and pine up front immediately followed by cracker maltiness. Poppin tangerine, bitter pink grapefruit rind, smooth orange smoothie. Tight hop & malt flavor, that makes for a very smooth ride. One thing that I like to do with BIPAs/CDAs is not look at the color and see if it would resemble a glass of paler color. This one is close. You get that roasted malt/porter taste for a second, but that is about it for my taste buds. Drinks like an imperial red...a hint of molasses, toffee, caramel. Smooth cookie crisp mouthfeel with a hint of bitterness. Had 32 ounces and I am good with that. Very nice offering for this new popular style and probably my favorite behind Stone's.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a pint glass
Bottled on: 9/25/13

A: Pours an opaque black with some browning on the edges when held to light. Just under 2 fingers width of light mocha colored head dissipates down at a moderate rate and leaves lots of streaky lacing.

S: Roasted malt, black coffee, piney hops, citrus rind. Really great combination of dark and hop aromas.

T: Follows the nose, roasted malts and black coffee are the initial flavors I get. Hops come out next with sweet citrus and piney bitterness. More citrus than on the nose. Really excellent.

M/D: Medium body, carbonation on the heavier side (which might be my only complaint in the whole beer), drinkability is very good.

O: Great balance of dark components and hops. Exactly what a Black IPA should be in my opinion. Well done.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

Growler from GBX

A: Pours a pitch black color with a massive khaki colored head. Retention is excellent throughout the glass.

S: Caramel, roasty/toasty malts, big fresh piney hops, citrusy hops, coffee, resin. I would say that the nose on this is comparable to Stone's 15th; very fresh

T: Coffee, roasty/toasty malts (maybe even a little char), beautifully balanced by hops. This is one of the most complex examples of this style that I have tried. Cascade and Citra hops are clearly identifiable along with bittersweet chocolate.

MF/O: Big big body, slightly chalky feel to it, smooth carbonation, alcohol is not present. A real easy drinker

Notes: For all of you that wished Stone's 15th wasn't as boozy, this is it. Also more complex. Nicely done COAST...I am now convinced that you cannot make a beer that I won't like

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

A: Poured from a growler to a pint glass. Had a dark brown color and thick, murky texture. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Lots of resiny hops here, along with a nice dose of malt.

T: Tasted of pine, West Coast hops, some citrus and some roasted malt. Very well balanced, with a lot of flavor.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a somewhat slick finish. Medium-bodied.

D: An easy to drink, well made, drinkable beer.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Served from growler into a Mikkeller oversize wine glass. Poured a massively dark brown with a one finger khaki colored head that subsided to a minimal amount very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, citrus, citrus hop, and orange peel. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, citrus, citrus hop, dark chocolate, orange rine, and subtle nuttiness. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I was really quite impressed with this one if I am honest. I’m usually not a fan of this style, but this one had a nice balance of roastiness and citrus to carry it into a class all its own in this style. It really felt more like an IPA than a Black Ale, but I was perfectly okay with this fact. Definitely a must try for anyone out there who has not and worth trying again if you already have.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

A growler shipped to me by beernerd81 for a recent tasting. Black IPAs are all the rage these days. This is COAST's attempt, and a decent on at that.

I'm generally conflicted how to review these things. Its brown and mildly hazy but mostly clear, thin head of small bubbles, off white that leaves some lacing on the glass. Carbonation held up nicely.

Aroma is WHOA hops. Yep, if I were blind folded I would have pegged this to be a cascade bomb of an IPA. Smells quite awesome. I'm pretty sure they used debittered malts in this beer at this point, since its dark but there is no evidence of roast in the nose. Debittered malts are a little like food coloring, still interesting though.

Its medium to light in body, good bitterness on the back end, still not much roast, at least I couldn't detect it. It was good, nice hop character, malt backbone minimal. Its was drinkable and nice, again, if I wasn't looking at it, say I was blind, I would say it was an IPA.

Philosophically, what is the point of darkening a beer? I guess the appearance of a beer is like its handshake, your first impression but if the darkening doesn't bring anything to the table like flavor or complexity, what was the purpose. Its a good beer though, I hope ti gets its IBA / Cascadian props.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This ale is black with a light tan head. The head was two fingers, very smooth and creamy looking and had very good retention. There was also some nice lacing left down the glass.
I first smelled chocolate and coffee. As it warmed I was able to smell what I believed to be raisins and also the grapefruit hop aromas.
The chocolate and coffee flavors dominate this beer. The grapefruit hop character is also present, just not quite as strong.
This ale is medium bodied and silky smooth despite the decent level of carbonation. Starts with the slight hop flavors then finishes with chocolate and coffee combo. It leaves a nice rich and slightly bitter coffee aftertaste.
This is an outstanding ale, very complex and rich. It is slightly expensive at 10$ for a 22 oz bottle but I'd buy it again and probably again.

Event Horizon Cascadian Dark Ale from COAST Brewing Company