Bulls Bay Oyster Stout - COAST Brewing Company

Bulls Bay Oyster StoutBulls Bay Oyster Stout

COAST Brewing Company visit their website
South Carolina, United States

Foreign / Export Stout |  5.80% ABV

Brewed with local oysters from Jeff Spahr at localoysters.com! Smooth and Roasty, briny (minerally and salty!??) that can only be attributed to the oysters.

(Beer added by: mikesgroove on 01-19-2011)
Reviews by ahatcher78:

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Many, many thanks to kkipple for the growler. You’re the best, Dan!

Bulls Bay pours a very dark chocolate fudge color. It’s very near opaque. There are a few, faint burgundy highlights at the outermost edges though. Really nice color though. The head is mocha tan and stands about two fingers tall. It recedes somewhat quickly and leaves a light, spotty lacing in its wake. Pretty good lookin’ stuff though.

The nose is good, but would benefit from just a little more strength. A mix of chocolate and roasted malts hits the nose first. Smells nice. It’s not very sweet. Dark chocolate must be the ticket! There’s a rather strong coffee or espresso scent, in addition to some charred barley. Alcohol doesn’t seem to be much of a factor. That about wraps it up. Smells straight forward, just needs more strength.

Wow! The flavor definitely kicks it up a notch or two. The malt base definitely tastes like roasted malts and chocolate. Bittersweet dark chocolate tastes really nice and mixes well with the strong espresso flavor that follows. There’s a burnt flavor here that’s attributable to the coffee/espresso flavor or charred barley. Either way – I like it! A very salty flavor follows. Damned if it isn’t oyster-ish!!! Not sure I would’ve gotten there on a blind tasting, but that flavor is there! It’s interesting and is very tasty. Alcohol is buried and really isn’t a factor. Finishes chocolaty, charred, and salty. Nice!

Bulls Bay has a lighter body. Carbonation seems light and soft. I wouldn’t mind a little more body, but it’s pretty satisfying in terms of feel. Definitely an easy drinking stout. No doubt about that.

Coast Brewing Company brews impressive beer. I knew this would be good, but I really wasn’t expecting the oyster aspect of it to really shine through. Lo and behold…it does! Who knew? If you’re into all things stout and salt…give this one a shot! It delivers! Thanks, Dan!

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

Shared with caSSino while hanging out at Duckworth's! Served from growler into a Stone nonic. Poured a massively dark brown with a one finger tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of roasted malt, dark chocolate, caramel, and a slight salty note. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, slight salt, and toffee. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty tasty brew. This was my first Oyster Stout and I really enjoyed it. The oyster aspect wasn't as prominent as I was hoping but still had a presence. This did have a very nice backbone for a stout though. This one is definitely worth introducing to your palate at least once.

Also for you oyster lovers out there and the adventureous drinkers, caSSino and I decided to experiment on our second pints of this brew. With an empty glass we lined the bottom of the glass with Texas Pete and then poured the beer into the glass. This added a very nice spicy tabasco aspect to the brew on the followthrough only and made it quite enjoyable. We also shared tastes with others sitting at the bar and everyone really seemed to like it. Add at your own risk and based on your spice tolerance (mine is higher than most). COAST, are you listening? Get Tabasco barrels and put this beer in them. I will definitely thank you for this.

4.47/5  rDev +5.7%

Growler filled at the Lodge in Hilton Head, SC poured into my COAST Pint Glass.

A - Dark black with a 1-inch mocha colored head that fades to a slight haze and thin ring.
S - Dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee, and a tiny bit of ash with a slightly salty, minerally backbone. Dunno if I'd guess "oyster" if I wasn't told, but there's definitely something different.
T - Very complex and interesting flavors here. Dark roasted malt with a unique mineral quality dominates, along with a solid amount of chocolate and dark coffee. Finish lingers on the palate for some time, leaving a chalky and slightly salty feeling. Again, can't say I'd guess oysters at first, but it makes perfect sense when you actually taste the beer.
M - Silky-smooth with a creamy medium-full body and medium-low carbonation.
D - Very drinkable, just like every other COAST offering. I'll have no problem with this growler. I was really excited when I first heard of this brew, glad it lived up to my expectations!

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

huge thanks to Calton for getting me this one, i had thought i missed out on it, but alas he came through like a champ! poured into a pint glass.

Very dark pour, black with a large tan heading creeping up the sides of the glass. Nice touches of lacing ringing the inside of the glass and coming to head with deep spider web like lacing throughout. Aroma was interesting and not at all what I expected. Very smoked with lots of hints of peat and roasted malts. A touch of something different and my brain wants to say it was sort of fishy, but again the expectations going in could be clouding that. Light touches of chocolate start to mix in as it warms as well. Nice body here, with a good level of carbonation throughout. Rich notes of roasted and smoked malts coming through from the very first sip with a touch of something else bouncing around in there as well. This other taste is not bad at all, it's just different and gives it a bit of a kick. Nice dry finish and smooth, even flavor kept it coming throughout the rest of the session.

Overall very solid and really quite nicely done. I have to admit name alone scared me off, but there was no reason for it. This was just a nicely done stout all the way around.

4.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from tap into taster at the brewery. Pours a deep creamy black. Smells of roasted malts, and a slightly sweet note to it.
Taste is of very roasted creamy malts mixed with some slight coffee; but here is where it gets interesting...I actually taste the oysters! It has a very very slight fishy salty sea water flavor. It sounds kind of gross, but its very well balanced and not in your face. It is full of flavor and actually has some alcohol for a stout! Nice job.

4.18/5  rDev -1.2%

Growler from Piney Grove Greens. Poured into a pint glass.

Black body with a dark brown head resting on top. The head sticks around for a little while but eventually runs away. Smell's roasty with hints of mineral notes but nothing that screams oysters. Tastes roasty again but with a definite mineral presence, slightly sweet with hints of dark chocolate. Mouth feel is medium to heavy, very sticky in the mouth. Pretty easy drinking as the ABV would indicate. Not much about this screams oyster to me but I think it is noticeable once it is mentioned. I wish there was a place near me that I could enjoy this with some oysters. I'd buy this again. Another solid offering from COAST. Their stout's are always top notch.

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Got a bottle of this without knowing at first what "BB" stood for - thought it was bourbon barrel when I opened it and then was confused by the lack of bourbon smell. Looked it up to learn it's "Bulls Bay".

Pours nearly black with a substantial dark tan head. Smell is roasted malt, coffee, a little chocolate - very solid without any one element overpowering. Taste is similar with a little of the oyster brininess coming through. As the beer warmed it got a little saltier and a little drier, which was a cool twist. I think this is the third oyster stout I've had and I really like the concept and effect.

I'd put this beer just over "medium" in terms of body - a very good structure for all the flavors going on here. Almost no trace of alcohol but tons of flavor, which is always a great combination. Overall a great beer that I will seek out when I return to Charleston.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

COAST Bullls Bay Oyster Stout
growler into a british pint glass

A: Pours an opaque black with a sliver of mocha colored head, which dissipates down quickly to only an outer ring. Leaves only the faintest hints of spotty lacing.

S: Roasted malt, bakers chocolate, creamed coffee, a subtle briny/salty aroma. Nice, but nothing outstanding.

T: Follows the nose. Heavier roasted flavors. Fairly big dark chocolate notes. There is definitely a distinct briny/saltiness on the finish, along with some bitterness. Graham cracker. Some sweetness comes out as it warms to balance out the saltiness, but at times the salitness is dominating and detracts from the other flavors.

M/D: Full bodied, not too thin- which is nice, appropriate carbonation. Drinkability is somewhat limited by the saltiness.

O: Overall, not my favorite offering from COAST. Interesting though, and worth a try. I remember liking it a lot more the last time I had it (last year, poured on tap and paired with food). Id drink this again, but its not something I will run out and by another growler of.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%

Picked up a growler of this at the Greenville Beer Exchange on my way to a show up in Charlotte.

A - Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Pours black with faint dark brown highlights and a thick, tightly foamed dark brown head.

S - Smells strongly chocolaty with some dark malt and coffee notes. Nose-tingling hops rounds out the aroma. The entire thing also has this earthy underpinning I can only assume is from the oyster shells.

T - The flavor starts with an earthy, mineral imbued and slightly chalky dark malt and chocolate flavor. Chocolate as in cocoa nibs and a faint bit of syrup. There is a slightly acidic coffee finish that also has some subtle hops flavor to it. I saw on COAST's Twitter feed where they were passing hot wort through cleaned oyster shells. Knowing this, I think the subtle, mineraly and slightly chalky taste of the shells looms a little more prominent in my mind.

M - Just under medium bodied, smooth.

Bulls Bay Oyster Stout from COAST Brewing Company