HopShock IPA - SanTan Brewing Co.

HopShock IPAHopShock IPA

SanTan Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: PhxHorn on 01-24-2008

Warm copper amber in color, SanTan brewers have re-defined this classic English Ale. An intense bitterness derived from the distinct citrus/pine flavor of Pacific Northwest Hops. A dry, crisp malt character & aggressive alcohol dominate our I.P.A. and make this bitter beer a hop-head’s passion!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of HopShock IPA Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark amber with a very thick foamy head. Head retention is good, and there is excellent lacing on the side of the glass. Aroma is citrus hops. Very strong and pronounced. There is a malty taste up front - more of a citrus taste, quickly followed by a strong citrus, grassy, hoppy taste. There is an excellent bitter aftertaste at the end. Overall a great beer. To me, the malts and hops blend together very well.

4.66/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured this from a can into my trusty old Bandersnatch pint glass (long-time Tempe residents might remember).

Appearance: against the green bandersnatch logo, the beer is a warm copper, darker than most IPAs. The head is uneven, chunky, and eggshell white, but it dissipates over a few minutes.

Smell: The beer smells like lavendar and citrus. It smells like the lemon trees blooming into petrol. This is a good thing.

Taste: bitter but not puckeringly-so. Much grapefruit. The perfume comes through here a bit, again the lavendar. The aftertase is saharan at the back edges of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Not sharp (despite the carbonation) but slick. Not thin but slippery. I wish for a little more weight in it, but it's still pleasant.

Overall: There are a few good Arizona IPAs (including Four Peaks Hop Knot, and Lumberyard's Flagstaff IPA), but this is my favorite. Yum.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

Hopshock pours a pleasing orange/amber color with a finger of white head that falls to a cap and laces well.

The smell is west coast all the way - citrus, pine, a hint of malt.

Taste has the hops out front as you might expect from the name and the style. There is a nice malt backbone there to support the hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a nice hop tinge at the front and a pleasant aftertaste.

Wow this one goes down smoothly. My in-laws brought a six pack back after visiting their son in the Phoenix area. Next time I'm going to ask for a case! This is a standout IPA.

4.49/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful french vanilla head, with a copper-orange hue. Nice pungent resinous smell that"s right up the nose. Very distinct smell that's quite addicting. Lovely lacing that is sticky and strong. Pure stuff here. Can taste the quality of all ingredients. Have to control myself with these. They go down fast due to how smooth and balanced it is. Just about perfect presentation. Very sweet hop presents. Very appealing IPA. Slight bitterness on the finish. Malts are a player here. The citrus deep resinous smell keeps you planted and is the star here. Awesome IPA!

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%

As always, poured into an ice cold, pint glass from my freezer..

Hop Shock is an absolutely incredible IPA. This is most likely the truest to form, real British (American made) IPA, that you can get here in the Southwest, USA! Do some homework about the original IPA's, they were England's pale ales created with extra hops, which is an earthy preservative, for the long trip to India, which had British colonies & troops, who wanted English pale ales.

I'm a modern fellow from Arizona, I love different beers & so far this is my favorite canned beer of all time. It's dry, but has so much flavor as you're consuming it, it's simply delicious! This is hops without fruity notes, incredible beer!

4.46/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

During a trip to northern Arizona i was hoping to find an IPA that smelled of the juniper berries i encountered during hikes in the AZ wilderness. This is it! Very piney & grapefruity. The 7.1 is quite hidden...for now. Some floral notes...very hoppy.

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a little hazy copper colored beer with a small, white fluffy head. The aroma, though, is amazing. It filled the room seconds after I popped open the cap. A minute and half later, with the beer seated 2 feet away, I can smell it. That kind of overpowering hoppy aroma is rare. It's full of resinous, evergreen, holly notes. I very rarely give a 5 on aroma--maybe once or twice on BA ever--but I'm going to on this one. It is a delight to smell.

The taste is very good, but not the transcendental aroma experience. I love the emphasis of flavor over mere bitterness, always a mark of a good IPA. It's got some sweet malt too, but of course the emphasis is the peppery piney hops. Good body, but not too heavy.

Very distinctive IPA from a brewery I've never heard of before. Really, the smell is just amazing. I'm going to pour another glass now and just swirl it around under my nose.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured a hazy orange/copper with a tightly knit white head that lasted. . . great lacing as well. Very pleasing to the eyes. And the other senses aren't disappointed either: Smell is fresh and citrusy with notes of the piney hop profile that becomes more apparent once sipped. Taste is obviously well composed of hop bitterness, but a very much present bready malt appears as well. Also noted is the full bodied and wet mouthfeel. VIVAN LAS CERVEZAS DE ARIZONA!

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

The HopShock may now be my second favorite from SanTan thanks to all the hops it holds. It glows a clear dark amber-red, and I can't say much about the head as by the time I got it back to my table, it had pretty much melted into the beer with minimal retention and a faint lacing. The smell was heavenly. The end. My nose fell in love thanks to the early faintly sweet caramelized orange peel leading the way for the obvious grapefruit juice/tart lemon hops bursting from the cup. There were some super subdued malts hovering in there somewhere, too, but I only got a few whiffs of them before they were drowned out by the bitter. Soon after my nose found its soul mate, my tongue was introduced to its new best friend. Hops. Everywhere. This beer was shockingly bitter (see what I did there?) but managed to stay suave and smooth even with a spicy carbonation blasting my taste buds to smithereens. Holding a decent medium mouthfeel, it was filled with the grapefruit juice/lemon zest hops and pine hops - bitter to the max. There were some very, very faintly sweet caramel malts again right on the tip of my tongue, but they were hardly noticeable after the onslaught of hops and deliciousness.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

Served on tap in a Santan pint glass. Nice glass. May have to see if I can score one of those. Nice two finger fluffy white head. Darker than expected clear dark amber body.

Great sharp hoppy aroma. A few grassy, piney notes with a sweet finish.

Excellent flavor that follows the aroma. Great bitter hoppiness, with a caramel, malty backbone. Very nice.

I really loved this beer. Would gladly drink many more.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is the only canned beer I keep grabbing when I get mixed beers. I Crack it open to a fresh scent of fresh hops which drinks with a fresh taste of hops and caramel and doesn't leave a strong thick after taste on the back of my throat. Strong beers generally leave me wanting a sip of water but this one keeps me wanting more. Delicious canned beer.

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%

A big thanks to whiterascal for this can of goodness!

An assertive hiss while popping the can immediate brought a nice dose of grapefruit to my face. What a welcome!

Poured a cloudy, deep copper with a large, white, and well-retained head of 2" in my Duvel tulip. Scattered patches of lace throughout. Big and rocky chunks of froth remain. A speck or two floating around... hopefully it's a piece of hop...

Anyway, you can tell that this beer is going to be a big one. I'm getting a huge waft of grapefruit rind and lesser amounts of earthiness and pine, with a hint of peach as well. Very nice, very intriguing... Light caramel notes are noticed in the flavor at first, followed closely with a big chunk of pine resin, freshly mowed grass, Euro-hop earthiness, and then a gargantuan slap of bitterness right atop the posterior 1/3 of my tongue. Possibly down to my epiglottis too. My glossopharyngeal nerve is going berserk right now. Man this is intensely bitter. Herbal, grassy, and yet, a decent amount of grapefruit and pomelo rind to give it a touch of juicy citrus. Lightly warming in the finish. I feel like I just got pwned by hops. And I love it.

This heavy hitter is supported by a nice and simple backbone of grains and honey. Good underlying balance with a medium body to support it all. Carbonation could be upped just a tad. Right now it's bordering on being undercarbonated, but certainly not flat or "cask feel". With that said, however, I'd drink a few pints of this.

Thanks again for the hoppy treat whiterascal!

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Received this can as an extra from Jeremy6566, poured into my Deschutes tulip glass...

A - Pours a clear deep ruby/mahogany color with 3 fingers of nice, dense off-white head. Lots of lacing left behind.

S - Has some nice citrus notes of pineapple, mangos and papays with a caramel malt backbone.

T/M - A nice hop bite greets me upon the first sip. It coats my tongue, then evolves into a nice caramel malt middle, and finishes with a pleasant lemon zest type hop finish. I really enjoy how the flavors come together on this one. Medium/creamy mouthfeel, and maybe a touch under carbonated for me.

O - I usually find myself left wanting more with IPAs, but this one didn't. It has a great hop profile without being too aggressive. Just when you think the hops are going to fry your taste buds, the carmel mlats comes in and mellows stuff out, but finishes with a citrus hop punch. Thanks again Jeremy for this can!

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Acquiring my taste for IPA's and this is a nice, crisp beer with just the right amount of bitter hops. Pine and citrus hit the nose and finishes bitter but with a slight sweetness that makes a this tolerable IPA. Hazy amber pour with a nice foamy head. Strong, solid--support your local/regional brewery!

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

My thanks (and that of The CANQuest (TM)) to bennetj17 for some more CANs to keep the madness moving right along.

From the CAN: "Craft Beer For Beer Drinking".

Yes, IPA in a CAN! The Crack & Glug could not happen quickly enough, producing two rocky fingers of tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose was heavenly, if your idea of heaven is a pine forest. Luckily, that sort of thing does it for my olfactory senses. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a very minty evergreen taste on the tongue initially giving way to a caramel-malt taste briefly, just to keep things balanced. Finish remained very minty, breathtaking, really. Holy Hops, Batman! This would go into my cooler at any time, shoving some of those marginal CANs out of the way to make room. If JenRay has not tried this yet, send the poor woman some so that she will not feel left out.

4.21/5  rDev +9.4%

poured a clear golden color with a half inch of yellowish head. aromas of hops and caramel destroy your nose. really hop heavy smell! bitter-sweet taste up front. bready backbone. tastes of citrus (lemon/grapefruit), caramel, pine, burnt tires (actually awesome). medium bodied, but feels heavy going down. the bitterness makes your cheeks pucker. this beer is awesome. i need to learn more about this brewery and stock up :)

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #46 (Nov 2010):

Crystal-clear, brassy amber color with a head and lacing every other beer is jealous of. Hops hit the nose hard with mint, evergreen and citric rind, and the malt and alcohol are secondary in the aroma. Such a creamy beer. Wet biscuity malt flashes some caramel. Hops push all this down with a more-than-balancing bitterness and an even bigger flavor. Leafy, citric rind; piney, and tobacco. The alcohol is laidback, with a very slow warmth, some barley and a trace of esters--very clean. Hops done well here. A can of kickass American IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Copper pour with finger width, off white head. Aroma is citrus and malt. Taste is same as smell but pretty hoppy. Very well balanced. I wasn't a fan of this brew the first time I had it, but it has grown on me a lot. This is an easy session beer. Nice beer!

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into a Newcastle imperial pint glass. Nice couple finger foam. Decent lace, doesn't stay as long as I would like.

A - Dark amber color, almost copper. Much darker than I expected.

S - Nice balance between hop and malt with a little more emphasis on the hops, makes sense with the name and all.

T - Nice balance between the hops and malt. Not overly hoppy but a nice hop flavor. Mouthfeel is very nice. Hop resin. Malt. Nice.

O - Nice example of an American IPA. Great balance of hop and a little malt. Hoppy wonderfulness!!

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

A: nice off white tight head tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom head retention is great. color is nice orange amber color.

S: fresh hops grapefruit orange zest and citrus backed up with some caramel malts

T: fresh hops grab the tongue citrus and pine hit you backed up with some caramel malts

M: light mouth med carbonation

D: fairly refreshing and drinkable a good thing for summer here in Arizona

overall: solid IPA from SanTan good too have some more brewerys popping up here in AZ. Cheers SanTan!

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

Very solid. Nice copper color. Good head, lacing.

Smell has some hoppy goodness mixed with caramel sweetness. Telegraphs the flavor. Good American hop profile, plenty of bitterness. Serious malt backbone. Perhaps a tad too malty for the style, or it likely would have rated higher.

But nice beer, and I could enjoy plenty of these.

12 oz can poured into a snifter

A- Cleat copper color with a two finger off-white head

S- Grapefruit/citrus hops, piney, hint of caramel malts

T- Close to smell, nice sweet malt backbone, nice piney/earthy bitter hops.

M- A little on the light side, smooth, crisp

O- This is a nice IPA, really enjoyable. I would definitly get this again if it was around me.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

Pour - a beautiful dark auburn liquid floods the glass and shines with some great looking red and yellow highlights. Carbonation seems spot on as a big, thick head of foam adorns this pour.

Aroma - this is a work of art when it comes to aroma. Big citrusy bursts come at your nose that deliver a powerful dose of grapefruit, lemon with an almost eye-watering hoppiness. Talk about fresh aroma. You like your beer smelling hoppy than this is for you.

Taste - thy tongue will be dry and beaten to a pulp. Hop Shock is indeed a "shock of hops" to the taste buds. This has a pungent hop flavor that assaults the senses with lemon, lime, green apple, grapefruit sourness...just an all out barrage of bitterness. Want IBUs? I think you got them. I'd say this definitely leans towards hop dominated as the malt plays only a minor supporting role. I get a little caramel and an eency amount sweetness in the background but this is truly for those of us that are masochistic when it comes hops.

Overall - lots of hop aroma and flavor packed into a can. Don't expect a balanced brew just open the can, pour it into your favorite glass, take a big whiff and enjoy the pleasure of having your tongue beaten by hops. This is not a wimpy IPA by any means.

Would I buy more of it? - sure, I love beers like this. I am a hop head at heart.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

As I've stated, not the biggest IPA fan...but I'm trying. This was a pretty solid Pale Ale, lots of citrus notes that really go a long way to make this a smooth taste. I liked the sharp malt taste in this. I could drink a few of these before switching over to something more dark. Perfect for a hot day.

WIFE TAKE: Why is there weed on the cover?

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a pint glass. Review 3/18/14.

Amber color with a nice white head.
Aroma is really, really nice. Lots of delicious citrus and some herbal notes.
Taste doesn't quite live up to the nose. The hops are definitely the star, but overall the complexity of the flavor isn't there. Finish is long and bitter with grapefruit rind.
Body is medium with good carbonation.

Overall, a very good beer that promised more on the nose than it could deliver. But I still really liked it.

HopShock IPA from SanTan Brewing Co.