HopShock IPA - SanTan Brewing Co.

HopShock IPAHopShock IPA

SanTan Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: PhxHorn on 01-24-2008

Warm copper amber in color, SanTan brewers have re-defined this classic English Ale. An intense bitterness derived from the distinct citrus/pine flavor of Pacific Northwest Hops. A dry, crisp malt character & aggressive alcohol dominate our I.P.A. and make this bitter beer a hop-head’s passion!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of HopShock IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 389 | Reviews: 92
3.94/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to stephenhawking for the can.

Pours a somewhat hazy copper orange with a finger of white head. Very sticky and lacing all the way down the glass. Looks fantastic.

Aroma is mostly pine with a bit of citrus and spice. Some malt backbone as well.

Starts off a little earthy and piney. A bit of caramel sweetness. Finishes with piney and spicy bitterness and very dry.

Good carb and mouthfeel.

Fairly solid IPA. I don't love the combination of hops, but still a very enjoyable beer.

SanTan Hopshock IPA

Pours a hazed orangeish color, with ample head and lace. Aroma is very fruity, hoppy, citrusy and tropical. In the taste, more of the same, ripe pit fruits, mango, pineapple notes. Piney, and quite a solid resinous hop character. Malt body is focused on caramel and really lets the ale yeast and hop fruityness come out. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, and overall a very nice IPA.

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

A: Slight cream colored head with a nice dark amber color. Darker than otehr regular ipas.

S: Pine and citrus. Classic american IPA. Slight caramel sweetness comes through.

T: Bitterness and spiciness right up front. Mild sweetness on teh back end but the bitterenss really sticks around. The fresh pince dominates.

M: Spicy, which i like, full bitterness. Quite nice. Bittterness is very predominate.

O: Nice offering. Nothing amazing, above average, but a well rounded ipa. I would buy again if in AZ

4.15/5  rDev +7%

Poured into a Newcastle imperial pint glass. Nice couple finger foam. Decent lace, doesn't stay as long as I would like.

A - Dark amber color, almost copper. Much darker than I expected.

S - Nice balance between hop and malt with a little more emphasis on the hops, makes sense with the name and all.

T - Nice balance between the hops and malt. Not overly hoppy but a nice hop flavor. Mouthfeel is very nice. Hop resin. Malt. Nice.

O - Nice example of an American IPA. Great balance of hop and a little malt. Hoppy wonderfulness!!

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Copper pour with finger width, off white head. Aroma is citrus and malt. Taste is same as smell but pretty hoppy. Very well balanced. I wasn't a fan of this brew the first time I had it, but it has grown on me a lot. This is an easy session beer. Nice beer!

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

My thanks (and that of The CANQuest (TM)) to bennetj17 for some more CANs to keep the madness moving right along.

From the CAN: "Craft Beer For Beer Drinking".

Yes, IPA in a CAN! The Crack & Glug could not happen quickly enough, producing two rocky fingers of tawny head with decent retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose was heavenly, if your idea of heaven is a pine forest. Luckily, that sort of thing does it for my olfactory senses. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full with a very minty evergreen taste on the tongue initially giving way to a caramel-malt taste briefly, just to keep things balanced. Finish remained very minty, breathtaking, really. Holy Hops, Batman! This would go into my cooler at any time, shoving some of those marginal CANs out of the way to make room. If JenRay has not tried this yet, send the poor woman some so that she will not feel left out.

3.16/5  rDev -18.6%

12oz can poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a hazy, medium orange with a one finger light tan head. Decent retention and some streaks of lacing left on the glass.

S - Citrusy and floral.

T - Sweet citrus and malty.

D - Good carbonation and a bit chewy.

O - Pretty mild flavors, not much to get excited about.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Pours a hazy amber color with a frothy white head that leaves a nice sheet of lacing.

Smells of toasted, caramel malts with some piny hop presence.

Tastes of a bigger hop presence that lies on top of a good malt base. Hops have floral, pine, and tropical fruit notes. Moderate bitterness. Malt base offers some caramel sweetness with toasted bread notes.

Mouthfeel is medium with a smooth amount of carbonation.

Overall, a solid IPA that was a pleasant surprise.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Had on tap at the brewery. It came out with a nice rich copper color with about two fingers of head.
First smell I detected a lot of citrus. Later it melted into mire malt.

This brew surprised me a little. I detected more hops in the aroma. There was more malt than I had expected, but not horribly so. Also less citrus than I expected. Flavor is slightly sweet off the top, but it quickly moves to floral hops.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Very solid. Nice copper color. Good head, lacing.

Smell has some hoppy goodness mixed with caramel sweetness. Telegraphs the flavor. Good American hop profile, plenty of bitterness. Serious malt backbone. Perhaps a tad too malty for the style, or it likely would have rated higher.

But nice beer, and I could enjoy plenty of these.

3.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer # 1. I opt for the can. In the past I have drank some very good craft beers in a can. I am still a bit leary of the can. The beer is served in an Imperial Pint glass.

A- 4 A bright clear amber coloration with soft bubbling carbonation. The head is a thick off white but resolves into a ring of foam when the mustache hits the glass. Most beers do not stand up to the mustache.

S- 3.5 My nose is greeted with a nice toasted malt trending into caramel. An undertone of citrus and citrus zest ride this malty beer.

T- 3.5 Plenty of sweet toasted caramel maltyness to this beer. The maltyness is well balanced with a moderate lemon and citrus hoppy bitterness. The bitterness is brief and not of an oily or resinous nature.

M- 3.5 The body of the beer is smooth with gentle carbonation. The hop character and the malts are well paired.

O- 3.5 This is a very easy to drink beer. If it was in my market I may pick it up from time to time provided the price was right.

Reveal: I was certain I was drinking a moderately hopped amber ale. SanTan Brewing Co. Hop Shock IPA. Nicely done. Thanks Thorpe for a beer I wouldnt have tried other wise. Oh and Hot Dam! I get to tic another state I havent had a beer from.

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

A - Amber in color with a fluffy, off-white head.

S - More malt than hops. Slight smokiness and some fruit.

T - A malty IPA. Fruity, bready, piney, with a nice hop note.

M - Slight carbonation with a nice malty sweetness.

An average IPA. I have to admit, it's better when it's cold. Very enjoyable beer when it's warm but more crisp and refreshing when it's cold if you're looking for that. Being summertime, this is a good beer to have around in the cooler.

Drink canned beer.

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

12oz can served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear copper color with a off-white head that thinned to a layer but left lots of sticky lacing behind.

S - nice aroma of piney hops with a solid malty background.

T - it's all about balance as the malts and hops work well with each other.

F - medium bodied with an easy drinking feel for a 7% abv beer.

O - a solid, good tasting IPA.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

A - Pours copper, small white head and somewhat sticky on the glass. Ok

S - Some pine, some citrus but underwhelming.

T - A nice pine bite and dry finish. Some grass as well. Not overly complex with the hops but a nice hop flavor.

M - Dry in the back, nice lingering bitterness. Low carb, but nice

O - Not the best IPA I've had but certainly not the worst. Good hop flavor and nice bitterness. Dry and not overwhelming.

2.46/5  rDev -36.6%

I have tried all their canned beers from san tan and although they have some good draft beers at the brewery, the canned beer across the board is no good especially when you factor in 9.99 a 6 pack.

Appearence: This has a copper color to it unlike most west coast styled ipa's which leads me to think right away this will be a malt bomb.

Smell: The only real smell I am getting is carmel malt with a slight hint of pine hops in the background. This is coming from a brewer that used to work at Four Peaks-- I don't get it.

Taste: Once again without a doubt all malt with just a little bit of hops coming into play here.Some bitterness but mostly just malt. I am not sure what the recipe of this beer is but in the end they need to lighten up the malts and throw some Amarillo or Citra hops at this beer to take it to a whole new level.

Mouthfeel: Has the normal amount of carbonation to it but it falls flat pretty quick.

Overall: I had high hopes for this beer but in the end was really let down. I have been to the brewery a few times and thought the draft beers were good. The canned beers are over priced, average beers. My favorite local IPA is Four Peaks Hop Knot which is night and day better than this. Two completely different beers. I think Santan Brewing needs to redo there recipe in a big way.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks to aandreson for this extra. 12 oz can poured into Sam Adams Perfect pint glass,at fridge temp.

A. Dark copper semi hazy body.Leaves a offwhite 3 finger head that fades quickly.Decent lacing sticks to the glass.Good carbonation.

S. Piney hops and citrus come first as I smell again I pick up some bready/grainy notes.Detect a little sweetness.

T. Bitter hops up front,citrus,lemon not over the top bitter. In the back I get the breadyness. Pretty balenced IPA.

M. Medium mouthfeel good for an IPA. Pretty good carbonation helps to clean the pallet.

Overall not bad,An easy drinking IPA not over the top nothing special,which in my opinion makes it easier to drink alot of them, reason being not extremely hoppy It doesnt burn you out.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

12 oz can poured into a snifter

A- Cleat copper color with a two finger off-white head

S- Grapefruit/citrus hops, piney, hint of caramel malts

T- Close to smell, nice sweet malt backbone, nice piney/earthy bitter hops.

M- A little on the light side, smooth, crisp

O- This is a nice IPA, really enjoyable. I would definitly get this again if it was around me.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from the can into a wine glass, because that's all I had on hand, dammit.

Deep blood orange in color, moderately hazy and really pretty gorgeous. A one-finger head of fuzzy light tan lingers as a very hefty top layer for a long while. Thick streaks of lace decorate the glass as I drink.

The nose exhibits a fantastic balance between toasty bread, caramel and peanuts. It's almost like a brown ale. Citrusy orange juice and grapefruit peel are also there, but are subdued. More malty than hoppy.

The flavor continues the trend: toasty bread, caramel, a very light nutty character, moderate bitterness, grapefruit peel, lime juice. Very malty with a moderate sweetness. It toes heavily the edge between IPA and amber ale.

Light body, very watery. Soft, subtle carbonation. No alcohol, which is nice for the beer's 7 percent ABV.

Well, HopShock's most definitely one of those malty IPAs. Good stuff to change up the pace, but nothing I would drink a lot of or very often.

4.52/5  rDev +16.5%

Hopshock pours a pleasing orange/amber color with a finger of white head that falls to a cap and laces well.

The smell is west coast all the way - citrus, pine, a hint of malt.

Taste has the hops out front as you might expect from the name and the style. There is a nice malt backbone there to support the hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a nice hop tinge at the front and a pleasant aftertaste.

Wow this one goes down smoothly. My in-laws brought a six pack back after visiting their son in the Phoenix area. Next time I'm going to ask for a case! This is a standout IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

I had the fortune of trying this on tapalsobut my review willbe basedon the can version because that's what sittingin front ofmeright now.

A - Pours amber orange with a nice big two fingered fluffy white head andsome carbonation. As the beer sits for a few minutes,the carbonation disappears as does most of the headwhich leavesbehindan even,thinlayer of foam.

S - Caramel maltbacked buy alotofpungent grapefruit and pine hop aroma. Even after being in the can for 6-8 weeks,this still smells wonderful. There's a small bit of alcohol effervesence as well.

T - Taste continues where the pungent aroma leaves off in the nose. Hits the tongue upfront with grassy, earthy doses of pine and finishes with a sharp bitter grassy, grapefruit kick. While the hops are making their assertiveness known, light caramel malt lays underneath just far enough to bring the bitterness back a little and just strong enough to stay present throughout.

M - Thin side of medium body, average feel on the tongue with slight pricklies, and coats the mouth with a thin layer of grapefruit lingering bitterness. The grapefruit sting left in the mouth is watery thin, but just enough to keep the lingering goodness rolling for several minutes. I got some alcohol in the nose but not so much in the sip as it blends in well.

D - Very good.

This is one I wish I could get in PA, I'd keep a steady supply of this one on hand if I could. 'Will have to wait for my next business trip to the Phoenix area to enjoy this one again. Bummer. If you're an IPA fan, you will enjoy this.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF round 4

Opening the first beer from Phelps, i've been sick and working late so this is my first chance to give it a go.
Poured from a brown paper bag wrapped can, gotta love canned beer.

Pours somewhere between a chestnut brown and an orange thats somewhat hazy when held up to the light. The glass has about 2 inches of foam that quickly fade to a ring of soapy bubbles on the surface leaving just a bit of lacing

The aroma is a nice mix of malty sweetness and some grassy hops. Not overly strong, just a nice balanced aroma.

Interesting taste upon my first try, there is a roastiness that jumps out first and lasts throughout, caramel mostly with a bit of citrus peaking through along with a piney hoppy bitterness in the finish. I'm guessing this is an ipa.

Its well carbonated and finishes really dry almost like the liquid disappears in your mouth before the taste does. I'm really liking this one, not sure i'd want it as an every day beer, but it is very enjoyable.

3.5/3.5/4/3.5/3.5

I've definitely not had this before, so lets rip that sucka off and see...
San Tan Brewing Hop Shock IPA

Nice to try a new brewery, thanks for this one.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

I've long been a fan of Santan's IPA -- my second favorite beer in their line, after the Winter Warmer.

A: Warm amber with 3/4" of chewy white head.

S: Reminds me of a mixed drink made with orange juice and gin.

T: A very well-balanced beer with a lot of warm, soft malty notes to balance out the bite.

M: No date on my can but I could use a little more carbonation -- in past instances I feel like I've had more. Very satisfying, though.

D: The balance of warmth and bitterness implores you to drink more but I also find myself wanting to go more one direction or the other. Probably just personal preference on that.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Solid one-fingered white head atop a light amber beer. Not much of a carbonation stream but good head retention and lacing.

S- Spicy hops. Slight grapefruit.

T- Follows the nose. Pine. Near enamel-scraping hops...I like that.

M- Medium to light for the style. Low carbonation.

D/O- A pleasant experience overall. Nothing to get too excited about but certainly one I'd have again. No glaring flaws except the lack of carbonation. Would love to have with me somewhere where bottles CAN't go.

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

Served on tap in a Santan pint glass. Nice glass. May have to see if I can score one of those. Nice two finger fluffy white head. Darker than expected clear dark amber body.

Great sharp hoppy aroma. A few grassy, piney notes with a sweet finish.

Excellent flavor that follows the aroma. Great bitter hoppiness, with a caramel, malty backbone. Very nice.

I really loved this beer. Would gladly drink many more.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #46 (Nov 2010):

Crystal-clear, brassy amber color with a head and lacing every other beer is jealous of. Hops hit the nose hard with mint, evergreen and citric rind, and the malt and alcohol are secondary in the aroma. Such a creamy beer. Wet biscuity malt flashes some caramel. Hops push all this down with a more-than-balancing bitterness and an even bigger flavor. Leafy, citric rind; piney, and tobacco. The alcohol is laidback, with a very slow warmth, some barley and a trace of esters--very clean. Hops done well here. A can of kickass American IPA.

HopShock IPA from SanTan Brewing Co.