HopShock IPA - SanTan Brewing Co.

HopShock IPAHopShock IPA

SanTan Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

Beer added by: PhxHorn on 01-24-2008

Warm copper amber in color, SanTan brewers have re-defined this classic English Ale. An intense bitterness derived from the distinct citrus/pine flavor of Pacific Northwest Hops. A dry, crisp malt character & aggressive alcohol dominate our I.P.A. and make this bitter beer a hop-head’s passion!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of HopShock IPA Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +6.7%

Very solid. Nice copper color. Good head, lacing.

Smell has some hoppy goodness mixed with caramel sweetness. Telegraphs the flavor. Good American hop profile, plenty of bitterness. Serious malt backbone. Perhaps a tad too malty for the style, or it likely would have rated higher.

But nice beer, and I could enjoy plenty of these. (333 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer # 1. I opt for the can. In the past I have drank some very good craft beers in a can. I am still a bit leary of the can. The beer is served in an Imperial Pint glass.

A- 4 A bright clear amber coloration with soft bubbling carbonation. The head is a thick off white but resolves into a ring of foam when the mustache hits the glass. Most beers do not stand up to the mustache.

S- 3.5 My nose is greeted with a nice toasted malt trending into caramel. An undertone of citrus and citrus zest ride this malty beer.

T- 3.5 Plenty of sweet toasted caramel maltyness to this beer. The maltyness is well balanced with a moderate lemon and citrus hoppy bitterness. The bitterness is brief and not of an oily or resinous nature.

M- 3.5 The body of the beer is smooth with gentle carbonation. The hop character and the malts are well paired.

O- 3.5 This is a very easy to drink beer. If it was in my market I may pick it up from time to time provided the price was right.

Reveal: I was certain I was drinking a moderately hopped amber ale. SanTan Brewing Co. Hop Shock IPA. Nicely done. Thanks Thorpe for a beer I wouldnt have tried other wise. Oh and Hot Dam! I get to tic another state I havent had a beer from. (1,217 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Amber in color with a fluffy, off-white head.

S - More malt than hops. Slight smokiness and some fruit.

T - A malty IPA. Fruity, bready, piney, with a nice hop note.

M - Slight carbonation with a nice malty sweetness.

An average IPA. I have to admit, it's better when it's cold. Very enjoyable beer when it's warm but more crisp and refreshing when it's cold if you're looking for that. Being summertime, this is a good beer to have around in the cooler.

Drink canned beer. (483 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz can served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear copper color with a off-white head that thinned to a layer but left lots of sticky lacing behind.

S - nice aroma of piney hops with a solid malty background.

T - it's all about balance as the malts and hops work well with each other.

F - medium bodied with an easy drinking feel for a 7% abv beer.

O - a solid, good tasting IPA. (385 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

A - Pours copper, small white head and somewhat sticky on the glass. Ok

S - Some pine, some citrus but underwhelming.

T - A nice pine bite and dry finish. Some grass as well. Not overly complex with the hops but a nice hop flavor.

M - Dry in the back, nice lingering bitterness. Low carb, but nice

O - Not the best IPA I've had but certainly not the worst. Good hop flavor and nice bitterness. Dry and not overwhelming. (423 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -36.4%

I have tried all their canned beers from san tan and although they have some good draft beers at the brewery, the canned beer across the board is no good especially when you factor in 9.99 a 6 pack.

Appearence: This has a copper color to it unlike most west coast styled ipa's which leads me to think right away this will be a malt bomb.

Smell: The only real smell I am getting is carmel malt with a slight hint of pine hops in the background. This is coming from a brewer that used to work at Four Peaks-- I don't get it.

Taste: Once again without a doubt all malt with just a little bit of hops coming into play here.Some bitterness but mostly just malt. I am not sure what the recipe of this beer is but in the end they need to lighten up the malts and throw some Amarillo or Citra hops at this beer to take it to a whole new level.

Mouthfeel: Has the normal amount of carbonation to it but it falls flat pretty quick.

Overall: I had high hopes for this beer but in the end was really let down. I have been to the brewery a few times and thought the draft beers were good. The canned beers are over priced, average beers. My favorite local IPA is Four Peaks Hop Knot which is night and day better than this. Two completely different beers. I think Santan Brewing needs to redo there recipe in a big way. (1,311 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks to aandreson for this extra. 12 oz can poured into Sam Adams Perfect pint glass,at fridge temp.

A. Dark copper semi hazy body.Leaves a offwhite 3 finger head that fades quickly.Decent lacing sticks to the glass.Good carbonation.

S. Piney hops and citrus come first as I smell again I pick up some bready/grainy notes.Detect a little sweetness.

T. Bitter hops up front,citrus,lemon not over the top bitter. In the back I get the breadyness. Pretty balenced IPA.

M. Medium mouthfeel good for an IPA. Pretty good carbonation helps to clean the pallet.

Overall not bad,An easy drinking IPA not over the top nothing special,which in my opinion makes it easier to drink alot of them, reason being not extremely hoppy It doesnt burn you out. (747 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

12 oz can poured into a snifter

A- Cleat copper color with a two finger off-white head

S- Grapefruit/citrus hops, piney, hint of caramel malts

T- Close to smell, nice sweet malt backbone, nice piney/earthy bitter hops.

M- A little on the light side, smooth, crisp

O- This is a nice IPA, really enjoyable. I would definitly get this again if it was around me. (394 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from the can into a wine glass, because that's all I had on hand, dammit.

Deep blood orange in color, moderately hazy and really pretty gorgeous. A one-finger head of fuzzy light tan lingers as a very hefty top layer for a long while. Thick streaks of lace decorate the glass as I drink.

The nose exhibits a fantastic balance between toasty bread, caramel and peanuts. It's almost like a brown ale. Citrusy orange juice and grapefruit peel are also there, but are subdued. More malty than hoppy.

The flavor continues the trend: toasty bread, caramel, a very light nutty character, moderate bitterness, grapefruit peel, lime juice. Very malty with a moderate sweetness. It toes heavily the edge between IPA and amber ale.

Light body, very watery. Soft, subtle carbonation. No alcohol, which is nice for the beer's 7 percent ABV.

Well, HopShock's most definitely one of those malty IPAs. Good stuff to change up the pace, but nothing I would drink a lot of or very often. (986 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +16.8%

Hopshock pours a pleasing orange/amber color with a finger of white head that falls to a cap and laces well.

The smell is west coast all the way - citrus, pine, a hint of malt.

Taste has the hops out front as you might expect from the name and the style. There is a nice malt backbone there to support the hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a nice hop tinge at the front and a pleasant aftertaste.

Wow this one goes down smoothly. My in-laws brought a six pack back after visiting their son in the Phoenix area. Next time I'm going to ask for a case! This is a standout IPA. (586 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

I had the fortune of trying this on tapalsobut my review willbe basedon the can version because that's what sittingin front ofmeright now.

A - Pours amber orange with a nice big two fingered fluffy white head andsome carbonation. As the beer sits for a few minutes,the carbonation disappears as does most of the headwhich leavesbehindan even,thinlayer of foam.

S - Caramel maltbacked buy alotofpungent grapefruit and pine hop aroma. Even after being in the can for 6-8 weeks,this still smells wonderful. There's a small bit of alcohol effervesence as well.

T - Taste continues where the pungent aroma leaves off in the nose. Hits the tongue upfront with grassy, earthy doses of pine and finishes with a sharp bitter grassy, grapefruit kick. While the hops are making their assertiveness known, light caramel malt lays underneath just far enough to bring the bitterness back a little and just strong enough to stay present throughout.

M - Thin side of medium body, average feel on the tongue with slight pricklies, and coats the mouth with a thin layer of grapefruit lingering bitterness. The grapefruit sting left in the mouth is watery thin, but just enough to keep the lingering goodness rolling for several minutes. I got some alcohol in the nose but not so much in the sip as it blends in well.

D - Very good.

This is one I wish I could get in PA, I'd keep a steady supply of this one on hand if I could. 'Will have to wait for my next business trip to the Phoenix area to enjoy this one again. Bummer. If you're an IPA fan, you will enjoy this. (1,555 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was reviewed blind as part of the Blind BIF round 4

Opening the first beer from Phelps, i've been sick and working late so this is my first chance to give it a go.
Poured from a brown paper bag wrapped can, gotta love canned beer.

Pours somewhere between a chestnut brown and an orange thats somewhat hazy when held up to the light. The glass has about 2 inches of foam that quickly fade to a ring of soapy bubbles on the surface leaving just a bit of lacing

The aroma is a nice mix of malty sweetness and some grassy hops. Not overly strong, just a nice balanced aroma.

Interesting taste upon my first try, there is a roastiness that jumps out first and lasts throughout, caramel mostly with a bit of citrus peaking through along with a piney hoppy bitterness in the finish. I'm guessing this is an ipa.

Its well carbonated and finishes really dry almost like the liquid disappears in your mouth before the taste does. I'm really liking this one, not sure i'd want it as an every day beer, but it is very enjoyable.

3.5/3.5/4/3.5/3.5

I've definitely not had this before, so lets rip that sucka off and see...
San Tan Brewing Hop Shock IPA

Nice to try a new brewery, thanks for this one. (1,206 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

I've long been a fan of Santan's IPA -- my second favorite beer in their line, after the Winter Warmer.

A: Warm amber with 3/4" of chewy white head.

S: Reminds me of a mixed drink made with orange juice and gin.

T: A very well-balanced beer with a lot of warm, soft malty notes to balance out the bite.

M: No date on my can but I could use a little more carbonation -- in past instances I feel like I've had more. Very satisfying, though.

D: The balance of warmth and bitterness implores you to drink more but I also find myself wanting to go more one direction or the other. Probably just personal preference on that. (625 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Solid one-fingered white head atop a light amber beer. Not much of a carbonation stream but good head retention and lacing.

S- Spicy hops. Slight grapefruit.

T- Follows the nose. Pine. Near enamel-scraping hops...I like that.

M- Medium to light for the style. Low carbonation.

D/O- A pleasant experience overall. Nothing to get too excited about but certainly one I'd have again. No glaring flaws except the lack of carbonation. Would love to have with me somewhere where bottles CAN't go. (496 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

Served on tap in a Santan pint glass. Nice glass. May have to see if I can score one of those. Nice two finger fluffy white head. Darker than expected clear dark amber body.

Great sharp hoppy aroma. A few grassy, piney notes with a sweet finish.

Excellent flavor that follows the aroma. Great bitter hoppiness, with a caramel, malty backbone. Very nice.

I really loved this beer. Would gladly drink many more. (412 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #46 (Nov 2010):

Crystal-clear, brassy amber color with a head and lacing every other beer is jealous of. Hops hit the nose hard with mint, evergreen and citric rind, and the malt and alcohol are secondary in the aroma. Such a creamy beer. Wet biscuity malt flashes some caramel. Hops push all this down with a more-than-balancing bitterness and an even bigger flavor. Leafy, citric rind; piney, and tobacco. The alcohol is laidback, with a very slow warmth, some barley and a trace of esters--very clean. Hops done well here. A can of kickass American IPA. (598 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured a massive head into a Duvel Tulip, very heavy lacing, dark copper color.

Smell of heavy caramel, strong pine / grapefruit hop aroma

Taste of extremely bitter fresh hops, this nearly tastes as bitter as my fresh hop IPA from my homegrown hops. Caramel flavors really come out at first, followed by the bitterness of an overly bitter cascade hop flavor with pine and a hint of grapefruit. This is not a bad IPA, but after having a few Jai Lai's this just doesn't hit the same notes as I like more than others.

High Carbonation, medium mouthfeel. Drinkability is pretty good, but my homebrew wins on this one (616 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +10.9%

A big thanks to whiterascal for this can of goodness!

An assertive hiss while popping the can immediate brought a nice dose of grapefruit to my face. What a welcome!

Poured a cloudy, deep copper with a large, white, and well-retained head of 2" in my Duvel tulip. Scattered patches of lace throughout. Big and rocky chunks of froth remain. A speck or two floating around... hopefully it's a piece of hop...

Anyway, you can tell that this beer is going to be a big one. I'm getting a huge waft of grapefruit rind and lesser amounts of earthiness and pine, with a hint of peach as well. Very nice, very intriguing... Light caramel notes are noticed in the flavor at first, followed closely with a big chunk of pine resin, freshly mowed grass, Euro-hop earthiness, and then a gargantuan slap of bitterness right atop the posterior 1/3 of my tongue. Possibly down to my epiglottis too. My glossopharyngeal nerve is going berserk right now. Man this is intensely bitter. Herbal, grassy, and yet, a decent amount of grapefruit and pomelo rind to give it a touch of juicy citrus. Lightly warming in the finish. I feel like I just got pwned by hops. And I love it.

This heavy hitter is supported by a nice and simple backbone of grains and honey. Good underlying balance with a medium body to support it all. Carbonation could be upped just a tad. Right now it's bordering on being undercarbonated, but certainly not flat or "cask feel". With that said, however, I'd drink a few pints of this.

Thanks again for the hoppy treat whiterascal! (1,537 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Received in a trade from Ms. Whiterascal - thanks!

Craft Beer in a can from AZ SanTan Brewery - poured into a Cafe Centraal pint glass.

For an IPA, the appearance is quite dark. A copper - orange color. Thin white head disappears after 4 minutes, leaving a little lace behind.

The aroma reminded me of fresh orange peel, piney notes, and a bit of sourness - grapefruit maybe? Surprsingly, I didn't get an overwhelming hop note in this.

The taste is what really caught me off guard. Hop heads will love this one. Was really surprised at how strong the bitterness came through here, as the nose really masked it well. A dry, lingering finish invites you to take another sip. While not overwhelming, the hops really do shine through.

Almost drinks like an amber as well. Mouthfeel and carbonation are middle-road consistency, not too thin not too heavy. I like this IPA more with every swig.

Drinkability is wavering between a 3.5 and a 4. The abv is 7%. Might have to revisit this one on my next trip to PHX. (1,013 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

The HopShock may now be my second favorite from SanTan thanks to all the hops it holds. It glows a clear dark amber-red, and I can't say much about the head as by the time I got it back to my table, it had pretty much melted into the beer with minimal retention and a faint lacing. The smell was heavenly. The end. My nose fell in love thanks to the early faintly sweet caramelized orange peel leading the way for the obvious grapefruit juice/tart lemon hops bursting from the cup. There were some super subdued malts hovering in there somewhere, too, but I only got a few whiffs of them before they were drowned out by the bitter. Soon after my nose found its soul mate, my tongue was introduced to its new best friend. Hops. Everywhere. This beer was shockingly bitter (see what I did there?) but managed to stay suave and smooth even with a spicy carbonation blasting my taste buds to smithereens. Holding a decent medium mouthfeel, it was filled with the grapefruit juice/lemon zest hops and pine hops - bitter to the max. There were some very, very faintly sweet caramel malts again right on the tip of my tongue, but they were hardly noticeable after the onslaught of hops and deliciousness. (1,197 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Picked up a sixer back in early September from Sprouts for $7.99.

Brew poured a copper orange with a thin white head that is leaving some lacing behind.

Nose is nice floral hops with hints of citrus.

Taste is citrus and piney hops that leave a residual stickiness behind. Malt had hints of bread initially and the backbone was strong enough to keep a nice harmony with the hops.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and fairly smooth.

Overall drinkability is good. This is a nice IPA and a good representation of the style. (527 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A good amber looking beer, cool can. Aroma, equal mix of grapefruit and pine, pine delves lower with each reference.

Taste, leans more to the grapefruit hopping and bitterness, pine degrades with each drink. Stays crisp, never heavy on the palate. Another good canned beer effort, any slight perceived metallic bitterness is the type that would go well with an ipa that walks the line between the citrus flavors and woody feel. The hopshock is prolly because the malt body is so very light, and very lightly roasted. Not massive hops, but they are paired in a way that allows them to have a bold prominence.

Had another can of it yesterday, doesn't fall apart with age, I upped my grade slightly. (698 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a dark orange almost copper color with a one finger fluffy head..

S: mainly citrus fruits & mild pine notes...with a malt bill to back it up.. mostly toasty malts.. Faint sweetness with minor booze presence. Caramel aroma to mellow it all out..

T: hop bitterness all the way.. lemon zest bitterness with orange peel & grapefruit adding to the bitterness.. Slight toasty malt in there.. But hop bitterness dominates the finish, especially the orange peel flavor..

MF: light medium body with good carbonation for the flavor/style.. some what thin & maybe a bit watery/thin.. Lacks a little body in my opinion.. Somewhat dry finish that leaves a bit of puckering...

D: pretty easy drinker.. Nice local brew (for me).. Surprisingly a lot of hop in this one, which I don't mind...

Edit: leaves a super nice lacing on the glass... Had to bump up the grade just a bit.. (873 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Clear Golden Brown with a light head.

S - First, smells a lot like Pot and overwhelmingly so(were they trying to do this). Secondary smells include Minerals, Citrus, Pine, and Cascade Hops.

T - Tastes of dried fruits, Grapefruit, Grass, Malty sweetness, Apples, Pot, Flowers, and caramel.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, Good bitterness and Hop oils.

D - A good drinkable IPA and good to see something like this in a can. I will buy this one again or have my friend send it to me.

This beer has the most Pot Smell and Taste that I have ever had in a beer. (568 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%

Ultra clear, copper colored beer. Head isn't too thick but leaves a decent film, the carbonation appears slow and steady as it streams toward the surface. Resiny hops are first evident in the smell, with a dry nuttiness creeping in the background. The maltiness reminds me more of one of those hoppy red ales, so for an IPA I am expecting a balanced one.

The taste starts out as expected, with the hops and malt tangling for dominance before a hefty, dry bitterness takes over. The flavors are kind of muddled unfortunately, and it's hard to pick out the specific character of the hops. It's mostly some fruity/citrus hop taste paired with the caramel malt. It's almost a bit watery in a sense and I'm not sure if this is more from the flavor or relative to the mouthfeel which could use a bit more carbonation.

Overall it's nice to have an IPA option in a can but this one won't keep me coming back for more. Still waiting for an Arizona brewery to make a great IPA. (971 characters)

HopShock IPA from SanTan Brewing Co.