Sunspot Gold - SanTan Brewing Co.

Sunspot Gold
No picture uploaded.

good

SanTan Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Blonde Ale |  5.00% ABV

Sunspot Golden Ale is an American take on a traditional Czech Pilsner that distinguishes itself by being infinitely drinkable. Brewed with fresh Czech Saaz hops and American Pale Barley, Sunspot Gold has a deep, rich golden color and delicate hop character. Americans have a habit of taking products and improving them. We believe this is especially true with our Sunspot Gold.

(Beer added by: PhxHorn on 01-24-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sunspot Gold Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -22.1%

Coconuts, Oct 09, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -19%

A bright gold in color, not much head at all. Not a whole lot of smell, either, but a trace of citrus maybe, but it seemed like there was a soapy flavor, too. Taste was disappointing, the main reason being that I'd ordered the IPA and couldn't believe that's what this was. I was right--they'd served me the wrong beer. At any rate, I suffered through 16 ounces of this. Moderate carbonation with a bitter aftertaste. Even within the style, it didn't do much for me.

PhxHorn, Jan 24, 2008

grubefresh, Nov 18, 2012

MHoe, Mar 14, 2014

Unchi, Dec 07, 2011
3.23/5  rDev +0.6%

Sunspot Gold is "an American take on a traditional Czech Pilsner," according to the SanTan Brewery website. At first glance, it had very little head in the glass and held almost no distinct smell. It was bright gold in color with barely any carbonation. After a few tentative sips and swishes through my mouth, I came to a few conclusions on the taste: That it was very light in flavor and had a little bit of a citrusy sweetness to it with a subtle bitterness that hung around afterward. While it was lacking in flavor, it was quite smooth, and I found that it caressed the roof of my mouth rather than my tongue, which I can honestly say I've never really thought about before while drinking anything.

I made sure to sample it before I ate my meal, so no worries about conflicting flavors there. When I did take sips of the Sunspot Gold between bites of my braised short ribs, I found that it managed to cleanse my palette in a way; wiping my taste buds clean of the heavy meat and starchy potatoes and leaving my mouth dry and ready for more. I'm not sure if this means that it complimented my meal or not, but it was refreshing to be able to still recognize the citrus in the beer after only two sips between bites.

It was really easy to drink with very little bitterness and no aftertaste.

Lucklys, Oct 20, 2010
3.25/5  rDev +1.2%

PassMeAZima, Jul 30, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Camjmorton, Jan 08, 2014
3.32/5  rDev +3.4%

IreRican, Sep 18, 2014
3.35/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a growler.

A: Poures a light golden color and got a huge head that dissipated quickly but some head comes back after every sip. Some lacing.

S: There is an herbal smell and hay with a little citus going on.

T: The same as smell: something herbal and dried grass or hay.

M: The best thing is the way this beer feels: light and refreshing but not over carbonated. It goes down good and is great on a mild Arizona day. It leaves your mouth a little dry: just enough for another sip.

O: It's not my favorite beer but it is very drinkable. It doesn't have the flavor that I usually want from my beer; but it is extremely drinkable and leaves me wanting another sip and another glass. I would recommend this beer and could drink it all day.

JohnnyJam, Nov 28, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +8.4%

Sampled on tap at SanTan Brewing; March 2011
The beer arrives with a clear, light yellow-gold color and is topped by a pale, almost white colored head. There is a sort of grainy, almost corn like note to the nose, perhaps even reminding me of sweet corn and there are other aromas of clean cracker-like malt as well as a hint of spicy, herbal hop notes. The nose is about what one should expect from this type of beer.

A dry, cracker-like malt character lingers on the palate after my first sip and there is very little bitterness here; though this seems to work better than expected due to the perceived dryness of the finish. After my palate adjusts a bit to this beer I begin to pick up a bit of sweetness. There is a herbal hop component that nicely spices up the flavor of this beer. A touch of corn is found in the finish and it becomes a bit annoying as the beer warms up. This is a light and quaffable brew that should be kept cold to remain a serviceable refresher.

Gueuzedude, May 20, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +9%

Pours from the can pale, gold with some haze and a thin white lace. Fresh bready nose. Soft, creamy, smooth body with a semi-crisp bite and a light lemony smack. Herbal undertones. More bready malts, a bit toasty with sweet cereal grain finish. Dries out with a starchy flavor and feel on the palate.

Not as clean as a traditional Czech Pilsner, but they're going for an American stab at the style. It works. Balanced, straight-forward, and poundable.

Todd, Aug 28, 2014

FMetzger, May 15, 2013

RDW, Mar 04, 2012

gkoz, Aug 23, 2014

Aclucari, Jan 07, 2012

Touchstone47, Jul 26, 2014

RavenForBeer, Nov 06, 2014
3.55/5  rDev +10.6%

Had on tap. I was at the brewpub in early June and I was looking fir something light to complement the warm evening air. This fit the bill.

L: Bright gold and clear
A: almost non existent. A little bit of light malt

T: Pilsner malts with a clean finish. Not much to say about this. If your looking for complex flavors, move on. Looking for a refreshing drink on a summer night with friends, this should do just fine.

AlleywayRover, Jun 03, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +18.4%

kfirestone, Aug 30, 2014
Sunspot Gold from SanTan Brewing Co.