Epicenter Amber - SanTan Brewing Co.

Epicenter AmberEpicenter Amber

good

good

SanTan Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

An American Amber Ale. Epicenter Amber received a Bronze Medal at Reno Canfest, and an 89 Rating in 2011 DRAFT Magazine. A deep copper amber hue with a firm, toasted malt character, lightly sweet with a crisp dry finish. Epicenter has become a gateway ale for novice Craft Beer drinkers. The light, approachable taste is quenching and appealing to new and long term Craft lovers alike.

(Beer added by: PhxHorn on 05-28-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Epicenter Amber Alström Bros
4.41/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dined at Cork in Chandler last night and ordered this as we awaited our seating time. I've been home-brewing Ambers of late as I seem to enjoy this type of beer the most. I found Epicenter to be extremely enjoyable. It has lots of flavor and very little bite. It is one of the smoothest Ambers I have enjoyed that wasn't brewed by me.

The color was good. The taste was better. I ordered a second one to enjoy with dinner. My father-in-law did the same, as we both found our beer to be very pleasant and worthy of a second purchase.

Like many beer aficionados, I can't often describe a particular flavor or "velvety overtone" but I know a good beer when I taste one. This is one. I'll buy this again.

MacHammer, Jan 27, 2014

MarkyMOD, Apr 05, 2012

JoelClark, Aug 03, 2014

Unchi, Dec 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

This one pours from the can a nice cherry-amber color and almost perfectly clear. The one-finger head of grayish tan bubbles is rather filmy and oily-looking, fizzling away slowly to a pocked top layer. Thin lines of horizontal lace are left in its wake.

Strong nuttiness in the nose. Almonds, caramel, a bit of peanut, crackers, some earthy hops. It's a very warm scent.

In the taste: caramel-coated peanuts, popcorn, almonds and biscuits. It's sweet mid-palate before a rather dry finish.

Medium light body with medium carbonation that's prickly and lightly painful. The beer fizzes up a bit as it moves about. Smooth and super crisp.

The teeter-totter of this beer's flavor leans a little toward the sweet side, and I like that about it. It's a lovely mix of nutty malt and earthy hops. Very crisp and easy-drinking.

Phelps, Dec 22, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Had on tap outside in 100+ AZ heat Served in a pint glass.
Amber color with small head, leaves no lacing in the glass. Not much to the smell on this one I get a little malt but not much else. Taste is of malts and caramel. Don't get any sense of hops. Mouthfeel provides decent carbonation and alcohol with some sweetness on the end.

Overall this is a refreshing beer that is relatively light for a hot day.

duceswild, May 15, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Big ups and major props to my fellow CANquistador, indiapaleale, for sending me this and one other in support of my version of The CANQuest (TM)! I love where it hails from (Chandler, AZ) and I look forward to trying it out.

From the CAN: "Craft Beer For Beer Drinking".

It came in a RexAm CAN with a wide-mouth opening, which is always good for an interesting Crack & Glug. My nearly inverted pour resulted in some cascading action as well was two foamy fingers' worth of tawny head with good retention. Color was a deep coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO! Nose was very sweet with caramel malt. Mouthfeel was medium with a caramel sweetness offset by a molasses flavor, which I found both interesting and enjoyable. I am usually not big on sweet, malty beers, but this managed to strike a nice balance. Finish was sweet but not cloying. I would not want a steady diet of it, but I also would not be averse to putting it in my cooler.

woodychandler, Feb 21, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

A - Pours a bubbly, light-yellow head that fades quickly. No lace on the glass. A nice amber hue.

S - Sweet, toasted malt. Some alcohol. Bready.

T - Delicious malt with a very slight hop presence to balance it out. Alcohol is there, too. Toffee.

M - Clean, crisp. A bit cloying.

Solid Amber.

Gatch, Aug 31, 2011

Zachb4au, Mar 16, 2012

kerry4porters, Nov 07, 2013

KaaosMachine, May 07, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Enjoyed on tap in a 32 oz stein.

A - Rust colored with a two finger pure white head. Clingly lacing lasting well past the half glass point. Cloudy. An unfiltered amber? Hmmmm.

S - Some sweet malts and little hops. Not much else really. A decent "beery" smell.

T - Tastes of toasted grains followed by a slightly spicy hop balance. Segways into a bitter and slightly acidic aftertaste. Everything just working well together, with each taste complimenting the other.

M - Slick, and decently full to the point of being borderline "chewy".

O - A very solid amber offering by San Tan Brewing. Decent enough that I ordered a second versus trying something different. A little more bitter/acidic and cloudy than I would expect for an amber, but it all comes together well in the end. I'd have another.

TempeBeerMan, Dec 16, 2011

Camjmorton, May 31, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Had a pint off the tap at their Chandler brewpub.

Pretty much as advertised. They describe it as follows:
"Deep garnet amber hue with a firm toasted malt character, lightly sweet with a crisp, dry finish."

Pretty accurate. There's mostly crystal malt off of the top. It's balanaced at the end with a touch of hop bitterness. Nothing phenomenal but simply a nice, balanced drinkable beer.

I had the beer while sitting on thier patio, and I have to say, it complements a warm night in Phoenix nicely.

AlleywayRover, Jun 03, 2011

Peller80, Oct 22, 2012
Epicenter Amber from SanTan Brewing Co.