Epicenter Amber - SanTan Brewing Co.

Epicenter AmberEpicenter Amber

good

good

SanTan Brewing Co. visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

An American Amber Ale. Epicenter Amber received a Bronze Medal at Reno Canfest, and an 89 Rating in 2011 DRAFT Magazine. A deep copper amber hue with a firm, toasted malt character, lightly sweet with a crisp dry finish. Epicenter has become a gateway ale for novice Craft Beer drinkers. The light, approachable taste is quenching and appealing to new and long term Craft lovers alike.

(Beer added by: PhxHorn on 05-28-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Epicenter Amber Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

4.41/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dined at Cork in Chandler last night and ordered this as we awaited our seating time. I've been home-brewing Ambers of late as I seem to enjoy this type of beer the most. I found Epicenter to be extremely enjoyable. It has lots of flavor and very little bite. It is one of the smoothest Ambers I have enjoyed that wasn't brewed by me.

The color was good. The taste was better. I ordered a second one to enjoy with dinner. My father-in-law did the same, as we both found our beer to be very pleasant and worthy of a second purchase.

Like many beer aficionados, I can't often describe a particular flavor or "velvety overtone" but I know a good beer when I taste one. This is one. I'll buy this again.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

2.63/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Ok. Had a can from total wine. Maybe I got an old can but I wasn't impressed. It's not a very drinkable amber. Pours clear and,well, Amber. Smells like beer and tastes ok. Hops seem bitter but not too flavorful. Mouthfeel is ok. Overall, not one of my favorite.

3.29/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

poured from the can into a pint glass

A - Pours a slightly hazy amber with small pieces of yeast floating in it. A weak stream of small bubbles rises to the fizzy, one finger, white head.

S - Strong nose of toasty, caramel malts and light earthy hops upon opening the can.

T - Caramel malt and sweet toffy upfront. The body is fairly weak though definitely malt driven with hints of red apple hop notes. Smooth caramel as the beer goes over the back of the tongue transitions into a slightly stale caramel apple finish.

M - On the lighter side of medium bodied with adequate carbonation. Not real lively, but ok.

As a seismologist, I had saved epicenter in my refrigerator for two years, before finally getting it out tonight to review it. Even though I really wanted to like it, I was unimpressed and am only considering picking it up again sometime to see if aging it had detrimental effects. This example was a little too sweet and flat for me.

3.75/5  rDev +6.8%

2.75/5  rDev -21.7%

3.34/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can pours a medium clear amber with good head and lacing. Aroma is definitely malt leaning dominated by caramel with light lemony hops. Taste confirms the aroma - malty caramel and bread all the way with no real hop zing here. Medium carbonation with drying finish and a bitter aftertaste (in a bad way) that hangs on. Sure, I love hops, but I don't mind a malty amber every once in a while if it has a distinctive flavor. This one just isn't that interesting.

3.56/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this 12oz can out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours an amber hue with a thick white head that slowly dissipates into a wispy lace.

S: Caramel and bready malt aroma.

T: Similar to the smell there is a caramel and bready/biscuit flavor.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Just a so-so amber brew

2.5/5  rDev -28.8%

3.5/5  rDev -0.3%

Epicenter Amber from SanTan Brewing Co.