Peche Lambic - Bethlehem Brew Works

No picture uploaded.

Bethlehem Brew Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: erica on 10-09-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by erica:
erica

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

#100- Yay!

Wow, what a wait for this one!! There was a joke going around that this was made-up. Not so! It was released maybe 2 months or so later than originally expected, and when I got to the bar on Thursday after work, Mike the bartender quickly brought over a goblet of the Peche before I even saw it was on tap. Thanks! Then I saw the chalkboard sign, which made me laugh out loud - PECHE in big letters, with a drawing of Joe Pesci's head and my fave quote "The Two Yutes" from My Cousin Vinny.

The actual beer itself made me smile too. Appearance was OK, nothing exceptional, it was a cloudy dark pinkish/amber colour, my first 12 oz. goblet was filled to the brim so there was no head to speak of except for a very thin white ring around the glass and some small bits of tiny white bubbles floating around. It looked good, a bit darker than expected, but still nice.

Smelled- funky! Sour and Tart, peachy and fruity, lambic-y definitely. It really seemed to me like a very tame Cantillon, but not even close to a Lindemann's. Taste was great as well, again like a mellow Cantillon, but not a girly sweet peach juice thing. I feared it would on the sweet side, but no! It has a good amount of sourness and outdoorsy farmy grassy taste to it that I would expect from a beer called Lambic. It was not extreme in the funk-factor though, so I would have to say it's got great balance. The finish was very very dry, just slight of bitter even, I suppose since it was aged in red wine barrels (Cabernet? I'd have to double-check). Also, not until I was almost at the bottom of my glass, I noticed a very orangey finish. Like O.J. Not sure why that is or where it comes from, but I found that a bit strange. **After having this again, I do believe I detect a, dare i say it- Brett. taste? It may be what I thought was orange. I prefer to pretend it's orange.**

Mouthfeel was very light and fizzy, again as I would expect from a lambic, and drinkability was excellent. I would say I could drink this all night, but I'll say I *did* drink this all night!! It goes down too well, no sign of alcohol, not heavy, and even with all the carbonation it doesn't seem to be filling. Also the dryness makes your mouth water and want MORE!

I plan to indulge in this wonderful beer for as long as it lasts, because I've waited so long and heard so many release dates that came and went... I must say though, it's well worth the wait! Thanks for FINALLY putting it on tap, Lewis! Keep up with the non-sweet, sour funk, and yer Lambics will be a success!!

10-09-2005 01:02:56 | More by erica
hopdog

4.28/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at the Kennett Square Brew Fest (connoisseur session).

Poured a medium and cloudy amber color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of leather, brett and overall funkiness with some peaches. Tastes of the same. Sour and tart finish. I'm glad this one was a late add on to the lineup as it was very good.

Notes from 10/9/05

11-25-2008 13:23:14 | More by hopdog
TheLongBeachBum

4.58/5  rDev +3.4%

“Our interpretation of this Belgian-style sour ale was fermented with both wild yeast and bacteria. It was made with 100% real peaches so that our Pêche has a fruity palate. Aged in French Oak barrels, that previously held red wine, were shipped to us from the Napa Valley which lends greatly to the dry, wine-like finish.”

So goes the blurb on the Menu and BBW Website that I was handed during a recent visit to the Bethlehem Brew Works. I had already sampled this one in a Growler thanks to BA Erica so it was a pleasure to sample this one I her company late on a Saturday Night after a hard evenings carving Pumpkins (Turnips are so much easier).

Appearance: Served in a heavy ridged glass goblet it looked a little better than the sample I had from the Growler. Murky pastel copper orange with an off-white head, the head retention was much better on draft but it still disappeared rather quickly. Low key conditioning but lively nonetheless.

Nose: The aromas fresh form the tap leapt right out of the glass, rustic farmyard aromas, wet straw, horse piss and metric tonnes of funk.

Taste: Now there was one difference on Tap from the Growler, it transgressed through several phases. The initial mouthful starts with an apple yeast laden entrance, no funk at all, like a homemade Scrumpy-Cider, tart. Only the second and third mouthfuls reveal the gorgeous funky farmyard character, it really develops through the drink. Now someone earlier mentioned Russian River Temptation……they are bang on the buck and have hit the nail squarely on the head, no surprise I guess if you think about where the brews spent there wonder years, both on French Oak Barrels that once held Wine. Nevertheless, the wild yeast and bacteria lend a lovely infected feel to this Pêche Lambic, the Brett feel, intentional or otherwise, is definitely there and it kicks in the back end through the oily oak finish. Scrumptious stuff.

Mouthfeel: Fresh off the tap this had the perfect conditioning. The oily oak-aged peach woodiness shines through, yet the Tap had a furry feel, peach skins scrub the tongue, but this dissolves in a biting citric orange sharpness in the finish which backbones a very mild fruity Peach punch in the swallow.

Drinkability: A perfect 5.0. I recall having at least 4 or 5 glasses of this, one after the other, and I remember Erica having nearly as many, and that was after several other earlier BBW brews…..suffice to say we closed the place out at Midnight on Saturday and had to retire downstairs to the Steelgaarten and then drink Glazen Toren Saison D’Erpe-Mere ….fuck it’s a tough life…..

Highly Recommended.

11-06-2005 03:35:20 | More by TheLongBeachBum
RoyalT

Appearance – This is a thick, dingy, orange in color with a light but very pretty head coming out of the growler.

Smell – The farm aroma here is huge. We opened this up at skyhand’s Second Annual Thug ‘N Chug Halloween Extravaganza and it livened up the conversation all the way across the party room. The enticing aroma of light peaches and stale horse piss had me foaming at the mouth.

Taste – The raucous farmy notes and threat of intense sourness from the nose take a huge step back at the taste. This one mellows noticeably from tongue to mouth. All the flavors are still there but the sour farm is delicate on the buds and the peach is so much like peach skin you can almost feel the fuzz.

Mouthfeel – This light to medium-bodied Lambic is tangy but not overly sour. It’s balanced towards farm though which is my preference for the style.

Drinkability – This one is smooth, balanced, and went down quite well. As I said, it really did push all my buttons. This is what I think of when I think “Peach Lambic”.

Comments – JustErica built this one up quite a bit, but when I got my growler it didn’t disappoint. Muchas gracias, Senora Erica!

11-04-2005 03:23:18 | More by RoyalT
woodychandler

4.65/5  rDev +5%

This was served in a goblet and arrived with a frothy, white head that unfortunately had little retention. The nose was musty and underlain with peach. The color was a murky, cloudy ornage/tangerine color. The first sip revealed a definite tartness on the front of the tongue, like sucking on a SweeTart or a Razzles, which is not to imply that this is a candy-like beer, but instead, it is the best analogy that I can come up with. The finish is dry and heavy on the mustiness. It is certainly tannic, possibly from the oak barrel aging. I disagree with EricaWeizen, though - the flaor is definitely yeast and infection-driven, but not of Brett. Bottom line: this is an impressive beer from an American microbrewer.

10-27-2005 23:24:04 | More by woodychandler
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.47/5  rDev +0.9%

i feel like the third wheel in the peche lambic reviewing party!

on tap 10/21

1.060 6.2%

cloudy orange-brown. a nice smooth ring and twirly haze.. some light lacing. aroma is fruitier and sweeter than i expected. nice green hop hint lacks barnyard funk. here comes the mild fruit wafts.. sour like the sour patch in an underdeveloped sweetness kind of way. this peach is yellow at best!

first thing i notice is a medium sourness and pleasant crisp dryness imparted by the french oak barrels. reminds me immediately of a fruitier version of russian river temptation. peach is mild but there.. took me a while to figure out whether or not it was my imagination.. then warmth crept up and sure enough, that fruit began to salute... close also to the depth of apricot.

refreshing with a sour bite.. one of the best american wild ales/lambics ive ever had the pleasure to try. drinkability with maintained sourness is the perfect combination for a lambic that i could consume all day.. this is it. ill bet the framboise will be really nice, somebody ship me a growler.

10-26-2005 21:04:49 | More by goodbyeohio
Peche Lambic from Bethlehem Brew Works
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.