Kriekbier - Bethlehem Brew Works

Bethlehem Brew Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Lambic - Fruit |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-01-2002)
Reviews by erica:
4/5  rDev n/a

I recently had this beer at BBW, which came from a keg of the Kriek made in 2002. I was lucky to have a sample a day or 2 before it was settled enough to tap, and then a few days later I walked down and had a glass of the stuff. Very nice.

The beer came in a heavy glass goblet, basically had no head, just the thinnest layer of tiny bubbles. It was a cloudy rusty-brown colour. Not the prettiest. The aroma of this one was very faint, it smelled sour and spicy, a bit like a fresh-baked cherry pie. Almost reminiscent of Quelque Chose, but less sweet. Definitely didn't smell sour, like I might expect a kriek to be, but it was fruity. Tasted like sour cherries up front, with a hint of cinnamon or clove perhaps running around just behind the cherries. It wasn't a real strong fruit flavor, and there was almost a seltzery taste to it, not watery, but diluted? Then came a faint hint of a grassy outdoorsy taste, almost floral even, like cherry blossoms perhaps, which was nice to balance the spiced cherry taste, and the finish was more sour than spicy and fruity. That's what I expected the main flavor to be, but really as this beer was in my mouth, sliding over my tongue, it was more spicy and tart than sour.

Mouthfeel was nicely carbonated and tingly, despite the visual lack of a head, but they served it way too cold. Room temperature or even the option to have it warmed or mulled would've done wonders for this beer. Drinkability was very good, not extreme in any way, but at $6 a glass I limited myself to one. (So of course I then ordered a $6.50 Nostradamus. Go figure.)

The beer menu described the Kriek as an Oud Buin style beer, which I would have to agree with, what with the brownish colour and faintness of the sour cherry taste I would expect in something called Kriek. All in all it was a good beer, whatever it was supposed to be, and I was happy to be able to get in on the action of the 3 year old keg. The Brew Works will never cease to amaze me with their style interpretations...

Kriekbier from Bethlehem Brew Works
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.